Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

718 Spyder current owners - Please comment

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2019, 11:48 AM
348SStb
Burning Brakes

Received 559 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by StudGarden
Anyone know the ground clearance of the very front? Looking at pics I can't see how it could possibly get in or out of my driveway with a standard cul-de-sac drain curb without getting completely destroyed (and maybe even the rear diffuser too). I could tolerate minor cosmetic scrapes to a replaceable plastic piece but it looks so low it would wreck it to body shop levels every time which would of course make it a no go.
Please post pictures of your driveway apron so we can help. A three-quarter view and a side (cross sectional) view.

The scenario you are describing sounds like a no-go for any sports car. The Spyder is not exceptionally low. It’s plainly low. I doubt your driveway is that bad. I would be glad to advise. I am the front spoiler police and have gone to great lengths to keep all 8 of my sports cars completely scratch-free underneath up front.
Old 12-13-2019, 11:55 AM
348SStb
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fhp911
I'm interested to know about the Spyder manual top.

How easy/difficult is it to open/close?
When the top is closed, how effective is it in keeping out noise, rain, snow, etc?
Boxster owners -- how do you compare the top with the Spyder top? Ease of use, acceptability in a DD, anything else …

Thanks,
1) It takes about 35 seconds total to open or close if you’re fast and you’ve got some practice under your belt; about 50 seconds taking your time. I’ve done it in 15-20 seconds pulled over on the highway (that’s lightning/ “ludicrous” speed). You need to exit the car and walk around the car twice. I never consider it “a pain in the neck.” The car is a work of art. I happy to comply with its design features. The top looks great and is operated with a few simple steps.

2) This is not a top to use in the rain or the snow as you would with a regular Boxster. It will absolutely keep those out completely. No leaks. But it’s not insulated. You’ll hear the rain. The top is essentially a well designed canvas roof that keeps everything out, but there will be some noise. Not oppressive noise with all kinds of wind noise. Just road noise and a little wind noise. You’re basically outside, to an extent.

3) This car is not a daily driver. You can’t see very much with the top up in terms of visibility. Lateral and rearward visibility are quite poor. Tiny opening in rear window, and blind spots galore.

****With all this being said, I am speaking about the 981 Spyder top and I am assuming the top is identical to the top of the 718 Spyder.

No 718 Spyder owners have yet confirmed that the top is identical (but I am almost certain it’s identical).
The following 3 users liked this post by 348SStb:
DFW01TT (12-20-2019), jake18 (07-08-2021), pdds (01-09-2020)
Old 12-13-2019, 01:40 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by 348SStb
Please post pictures of your driveway apron so we can help. A three-quarter view and a side (cross sectional) view.

The scenario you are describing sounds like a no-go for any sports car. The Spyder is not exceptionally low. It’s plainly low. I doubt your driveway is that bad. I would be glad to advise. I am the front spoiler police and have gone to great lengths to keep all 8 of my sports cars completely scratch-free underneath up front.
I'll try to get some pics. When I measured with a flat surface laid on the main part of the driveway earlier I think it was about 3.5" from top of drive to bottom of street all in a couple linear inches of travel. All the pics of the gt4/spy make it look impossibly low with a ridiculously low approach angle and long travel.

991.1S did it no problem as long as I took an angle but the 718GT looks dramatically lower and unlike the 991.1 which had an angled up front the gt4 looks razors edge straight on the approach. The 991.1S front end could even go over most parking lot curb thingies (barely) without scraping but the gt4 pics make it look like it would hit about halfway up one of those.

Too bad front lift isn't an option.
Old 12-15-2019, 08:29 AM
FourFourTwo
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 68 Posts

I'll try to get some pics. When I measured with a flat surface laid on the main part of the driveway earlier I think it was about 3.5" from top of drive to bottom of street all in a couple linear inches of travel. All the pics of the gt4/spy make it look impossibly low with a ridiculously low approach angle and long travel.

991.1S did it no problem as long as I took an angle but the 718GT looks dramatically lower and unlike the 991.1 which had an angled up front the gt4 looks razors edge straight on the approach. The 991.1S front end could even go over most parking lot curb thingies (barely) without scraping but the gt4 pics make it look like it would hit about halfway up one of those.

Too bad front lift isn't an option.
I have one of these for my curb driveway. There is ample clearance for my 991 GTS with SPASM. I also approach the ramp at an angle. I’m confident there would be no problem with Spyder or GT4.

https://www.bridgit.com

The following users liked this post:
seahack (12-16-2019)
Old 12-15-2019, 09:53 AM
348SStb
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by FourFourTwo
I have one of these for my curb driveway. There is ample clearance for my 991 GTS with SPASM. I also approach the ramp at an angle. I’m confident there would be no problem with Spyder or GT4.

https://www.bridgit.com
https://www.bridjit.com/
Old 12-15-2019, 10:58 AM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

I'd have to check with HOA but that could be an option. If any owner could snag me a clearance measurement on flat ground that'd be great too thanks.
Old 12-15-2019, 11:01 AM
348SStb
Burning Brakes

I'd have to check with HOA but that could be an option. If any owner could snag me a clearance measurement on flat ground that'd be great too thanks.
Photos please!
😀
Old 12-15-2019, 01:22 PM
FourFourTwo
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 68 Posts

Photos please!
😀
of bridgit or bridjit? 😁
Old 12-25-2019, 04:19 PM
Vikas Desai
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

awesome write up. Are you located in the USA? The sound isn't that great from the videos because of the particulate filters. Does an american 718 GT4 sound better?
Old 12-31-2019, 06:49 PM
Underblu
Banned

Received 575 Likes on 217 Posts

GT Product, Less contrived? AFAIK, the 981GT4 was an official GT product and The 981 GT4 and Spyder sound the same to me. Although from the inside, the Spyder sounds louder particularly with the roof down .

With regards to the 718 Spyder and GT4, Everything I’ve read and even comparison videos have the 718 Spyder with a much more muted exhaust in comparison to the previous gen cars. I’m hoping the absence of these particulate filters on US cars will provide the full throated note we expect. I also hope that the great analog feeling 981 Spyder X73 suspension which really picks up the feel of the road through the LWBS (almost like hydraulic vs electric steering) won’t be too damped and most importantly won’t make the 718 Spyder susceptible to the dreaded strut tower failure.

Good to hear about the more flexible engine. I was a little surprised given the HP bump to see little in the way of acceleration gains.

Originally Posted by Mr Fish
Hope this helps:

2) Thoughts on 718 Spyder vs 981 Spyder in general? Please include sound, power, shifter, transmission in general, etc.
The new 718 is still reasonably special and targeted, it hasn't been dumbed down or made much more civil than the 981.. The sound is less contrived being a GT product now without the silly fart noises. It is perfectly loud enough in the cockpit when pressing on but is quiet between 2-4k when the valves are always closed for EU regs (whether the US cars will be different I don't know) The noise is more bassy and less raspy than the 981. Gear shift is very similar slightly lighter but notchier(maybe be because new) very good. I also don't have a massive problem with the gear ratios as this engine is WAY better than the 981 with more apparent torque low down. I does rev out much better than the old engine.

Last edited by Underblu; 12-31-2019 at 07:14 PM.
Old 01-01-2020, 02:01 AM
DrakarBoxster
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mr Fish
....I've driven all the way to Belgium in it an no problems.....
May I ask which seats come with your 718 Spyder and if you had any back ache? I’m debating between the 18 ways and the buckets.

Thanks
Old 01-01-2020, 02:07 AM
348SStb
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DrakarBoxster
May I ask which seats come with your 718 Spyder and if you had any back ache? I’m debating between the 18 ways and the buckets.

Thanks
I advise against the buckets in all scenarios except exclusive track use. The backrest angle doesn’t recline. The sports plus seats are terrific on their own and I don’t understand why anyone would have such a problem with those that he would spend $5k on seats that just aren’t comfortable.

I’ve had the sport plus seats in 5 different P-cars (4 different 991 variants and also a Boxster Spyder) and I happen to think they are great. I voluntarily paid extra for the sport plus seats over the sport seats in the 3 of the 5 cars I ordered new; and I am grateful to be one of the lucky few who has them in a 991.2 GT3 Touring.

I don’t wish to offend anyone who has the bucket seats- just my 2 cents.

FYI the Mercedes AMG Performance Seats are way better and more comfortable than the Porsche bucket seats, in case you’ve had experience with those.
DrakarBoxster (01-01-2020)
Old 01-01-2020, 02:19 AM
DrakarBoxster
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I advise against the buckets in all scenarios except exclusive track use. The backrest angle doesn’t recline. The sports plus seats are terrific on their own and I don’t understand why anyone would have such a problem with those that he would spend $5k ....
Thank you very much for your valuable input
Old 01-01-2020, 11:37 AM
Underblu
Banned

Received 575 Likes on 217 Posts

I have lived with the LWBS in my 981 Spyder and they were the first box I checked for my 718 Spyder. I find them incredibly comfortable, more comfortable than the 18 ways, 14 ways, 4 ways and probably every other Porsche sea I’ve lived with. The effort with these LWBS is in ingress and egress. You need to be a little limber to clear the bolster getting in and getting out but once accomplished the feel of these seats truly adds to the experience. If you can try and sit in one so you judge for yourself.

Thanks
DrakarBoxster (01-01-2020)
Old 01-01-2020, 12:31 PM
Atomark
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks
I tried all three seat types (the dealer was kind enough to lend me a car for a weekend). Once you get past the more difficult ingress, both bucket seats are quite comfortable and provide superior support compared to the standard sports seats. However I found the steep back angle too straight for comfort in either as it pushed my upper body forward uncomfortably, which kept irritating me after longer drives. So I chose the standard sports seats and have no regrets! I am approximately 6 feet 6 inches tall which may make a difference. No back aches due to the standard sports seats!

The following 2 users liked this post by Atomark:
DFW01TT (01-05-2020), DrakarBoxster (01-01-2020)

Quick Reply: 718 Spyder current owners - Please comment