Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Advice please

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2019, 08:47 AM
fhp911
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 35 Posts

I was drooling when I read subshooter's description of the Sport Chrono, until I read iliveoncaffeine's reply. The GT4 version is pretty lame, it seems.

So, SC doesn't do much, and is pretty worthless if you have a data logger, right?

Back to the Nav issue: if I'm happy with the iPhone's google maps, I don't get much from the Porsche Nav option, right? I need Apple CarPlay in order to have the iPhone map info appear on the PCM screen, right?
Old 11-07-2019, 09:04 AM
iliveoncaffiene
Burning Brakes

Received 399 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by fhp911
I was drooling when I read subshooter's description of the Sport Chrono, until I read iliveoncaffeine's reply. The GT4 version is pretty lame, it seems.

So, SC doesn't do much, and is pretty worthless if you have a data logger, right?

Back to the Nav issue: if I'm happy with the iPhone's google maps, I don't get much from the Porsche Nav option, right? I need Apple CarPlay in order to have the iPhone map info appear on the PCM screen, right?
The GT4 Sport Chrono's biggest feature is if you: A - want a clock on the dash, or B - are going to use the lap trigger / PCM performance displays for lap timing. If you use your own with your phone, it wont matter.
But, it doesn't cost THAT much on its own in the grand scheme... (although you won't be able to use the Porsche app - obviously - without the corresponding Nav option).

With nav, you get navigation + Porsche Connect (which has app-based car control / GPS / 4G LTE connection for nav updates). If you're just going to use CarPlay for navigation anyway, it's a waste of money.
Yes, you need CarPlay to have the iPhone display google maps on the PCM screen (here's wishing they would actually add Android Auto at some point )
Old 11-07-2019, 07:17 PM
Tedster
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 167 Posts

If you have an iphone save the cash and just get Carplay. Use Waze or Google maps.
Old 11-07-2019, 09:30 PM
fhp911
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 35 Posts

That's what I'm thinking. I'll go with the Apple play. Is the loss of Porsche Connect not important? (Do I care about those apps?)

Quick Reply: Advice please