Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

982 GT4 Spyder?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 02:06 PM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Ha yes you're right. Sorry everyone!
Old 04-23-2018, 03:28 PM
digitalrurouni
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah it's missing that front 'gap' which I personally quite like
Old 04-23-2018, 04:06 PM
JAhmed
Drifting

Received 1,924 Likes on 797 Posts

Originally Posted by 63A 981510
Hearing more and more info from credible sources that it will not debut for another year! ...Meaning we won’t see it on our shores for another year and a half. Long wait ahead!
Old 04-23-2018, 04:36 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by 63A 981510
Hearing more and more info from credible sources that it will not debut for another year! ...Meaning we won’t see it on our shores for another year and a half. Long wait ahead!
That is interesting! We know that the homologated GT4 needs to hit the street this year or early next year. If accurate, they are breaking up the release cadence of GT4 and Spyder. Hopefully, that's the only deviation from GT4; and, not in terms of specs (not withstanding the matching prototypes). Usually, when a fully developed prototype is tested on the 'Ring, the launch isn't far away. The prototype has been undergoing testing for six-plus months now. More interestingly, why? We haven't seen any hint of next gen Boxster/Cayman being tested. Instead, we have read about rumblings of the platform's very survival being questioned. So, is Spyder being held back as a send-off for the entire platform? Or, simply maintaining the release gap of 987-to-981? (the GT4 may be impacted by racing/homologation requirements) And, a new version of Cayman (R?) would be tied to Spyder's synchronized release?
Old 04-23-2018, 05:05 PM
blackholescion
Pro

Received 198 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by the_rider
That is interesting! We know that the homologated GT4 needs to hit the street this year or early next year. If accurate, they are breaking up the release cadence of GT4 and Spyder. Hopefully, that's the only deviation from GT4; and, not in terms of specs (not withstanding the matching prototypes). Usually, when a fully developed prototype is tested on the 'Ring, the launch isn't far away. The prototype has been undergoing testing for six-plus months now. More interestingly, why? We haven't seen any hint of next gen Boxster/Cayman being tested. Instead, we have read about rumblings of the platform's very survival being questioned. So, is Spyder being held back as a send-off for the entire platform? Or, simply maintaining the release gap of 987-to-981? (the GT4 may be impacted by racing/homologation requirements) And, a new version of Cayman (R?) would be tied to Spyder's synchronized release?
See here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...-spyder-2.html

Sounds like the GT4CS isn't even being delivered until The Roar which is January. Seems backwards since that means racers won't have the car until the race but hey. Who knows.

My guess is this gives them time to work out the Particulate filter for the street car. I'm sure GT4 homologation is generous in that you don't have to have production on day 1. Then again, that thread is all about the Spyder only and not the GT4 so really who knows what they will do.
Old 04-23-2018, 05:17 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by blackholescion
See here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...-spyder-2.html

Sounds like the GT4CS isn't even being delivered until The Roar which is January. Seems backwards since that means racers won't have the car until the race but hey. Who knows.

My guess is this gives them time to work out the Particulate filter for the street car. I'm sure GT4 homologation is generous in that you don't have to have production on day 1. Then again, that thread is all about the Spyder only and not the GT4 so really who knows what they will do.
RE the comments about GT4CS being delivered in January 2019, it would be highly unusual for that car to proceed street versions (re GT4 and Spyder).

"GT4 class cars are mostly what can be referred to as track day cars, which are factory-built race cars available to the public. However, custom-built cars based on production models can also be built by teams. All cars are test driven by the FIA and then modified so that they all have near identical performance levels. Once a car has been approved by the FIA, it cannot be modified by the teams, eliminating continual development costs for constructors." The manufacture will want to base the car off of a production car to keep cost under control.

Still looks like on track for GT4/Spyder release early/late fall.
Old 04-23-2018, 05:41 PM
blackholescion
Pro

Originally Posted by il pirata
RE the comments about GT4CS being delivered in January 2019, it would be highly unusual for that car to proceed street versions (re GT4 and Spyder). Still looks like on track for GT4/Spyder release early/late fall.
100% agree with you that it would be unusual. C.J. Heard it first hand so I don't know. Very plausible for them to split the production and release the GT4 first and Spyder second but there would be no reason to do that. We will see.
Old 04-23-2018, 06:08 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for posting that thread, blackholescion. C.J is well-connected; so, if he says MY20, then it could very well be. In June, at 'Sportscar Together Day', I read that they may announce a couple of models. What could they be?

And, C.J gave strong indications that the Spyder proto is detuned NA complying with new regs. He went as far as he could go (thanks). So, that is it! I always felt it was NA with hampered sound. I expected it, judging from the negative effects the regs have on motorcycles. In fact, from '20, the upcoming regs for motorcycles will even more seriously limit the noise levels. So, it is game over unless one likes riding/driving a vacuum cleaner!
Old 04-23-2018, 06:34 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 636 Likes on 402 Posts

So, it is game over unless one likes riding/driving a vacuum cleaner!
That is exactly how I described the interior sound of the 718 Boxster S I drove for three days before picking up my 981 GTS.

Drove in a group with a base 718 Boxster over the weekend. First time I've really heard one not as a driver or passenger. The limited time I heard it I didn't hate it. But that was mainly just tooling in the parking lot before the drives started. I was second in line behind a C4S so I never got to hear the 718 beside or in front of me during the drive.
Old 04-23-2018, 06:37 PM
digitalrurouni
Pro

An NA complying with new regs sounds like that? I refuse to believe it. Even the new Ducati has to comply with those regs and it sounds anything but a vacuum cleaner. I believe same goes for the new Brutale and the new Aprilia.
Old 04-23-2018, 07:03 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by digitalrurouni
An NA complying with new regs sounds like that? I refuse to believe it. Even the new Ducati has to comply with those regs and it sounds anything but a vacuum cleaner. I believe same goes for the new Brutale and the new Aprilia.
Agree; hard to believe. But, at this time, only very few outsiders (likes of C.J) may have heard it (or, have credible info). I am inclined to believe that the damage is serious! Your statement itself has the answer: only very few bikes manage to survive and keep the good sound. Haven't heard the new Brutale yet. Totally agree on the RSV4 (planning on getting a RF soon). You can possibly add R1 to the list. Now, about the Panigale V4: yes, it has the sound. But, why did they make it sound like a twin?? V4 has a unique, glorious music. Ducati, in my view, ruined it! (I suppose they had to satisfy their loyal Ducatisti!!) I was planning on getting one; not any more!
Old 04-24-2018, 12:20 AM
digitalrurouni
Pro

Agree; hard to believe. But, at this time, only very few outsiders (likes of C.J) may have heard it (or, have credible info). I am inclined to believe that the damage is serious! Your statement itself has the answer: only very few bikes manage to survive and keep the good sound. Haven't heard the new Brutale yet. Totally agree on the RSV4 (planning on getting a RF soon). You can possibly add R1 to the list. Now, about the Panigale V4: yes, it has the sound. But, why did they make it sound like a twin?? V4 has a unique, glorious music. Ducati, in my view, ruined it! (I suppose they had to satisfy their loyal Ducatisti!!) I was planning on getting one; not any more!
Sorry folks to go off topic with the bike discussion!

The Ducati seems to me like they wanted their loyal v twin customers get a bit of something from the all new machine. I guess that is why they went that route. The bike is absolutely insane. My brother rode one at a race track with Ducati Philippines and he said you won't believe how easy it flicks. It literally has no reistance to flicking from side to side. He could not believe it. That said I really like the sound of the Aprilia. And my RSV4F has to have one of the best sounding motors of all time. I got it mated with an Austin Racing exhaust and boy does it sound good!!!! Aprilia just announced a limited run of the Factory bikes with the MotoGP winglets btw! Did you see those? Crazy lookin though the color scheme is a bit too loud for my taste. Wonderful machines though!

Back to the Porsche topic - I was just thinking if CJ is indeed correct and that janky sounding test mule IS indeed a detuned nat asp motor then all is not lost cause I think aftermarket companies will totally come to the rescue for sound purposes! Nat asp motor over turbo any day...almost...it's hard to resist that H6 turbo in the 911 cars cause of all the tunable potential they have!
Old 04-24-2018, 04:48 PM
gotgolf52
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

I think CJ already giving us a lot of hope with NA/PDK option and particulate filter. I can’t wait!!!!
Old 04-24-2018, 04:52 PM
blackholescion
Pro

For those of you that don't keep track of the GT4 thread, here's a new video:

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/...yder-im-video/

To me, that sounds NA and there are a couple of parts where the wail/howl/scream comes out, especially around 1 minute in. Really doesn't sound turbo there and obviously still nothing like the 718 that it's testing with.
Old 04-24-2018, 05:28 PM
digitalrurouni
Pro

Originally Posted by blackholescion
For those of you that don't keep track of the GT4 thread, here's a new video:

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/...yder-im-video/

To me, that sounds NA and there are a couple of parts where the wail/howl/scream comes out, especially around 1 minute in. Really doesn't sound turbo there and obviously still nothing like the 718 that it's testing with.
sounds turbo to me though I sure hope I am wrong!

Quick Reply: 982 GT4 Spyder?