Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche Four-Cylinder Engines: From the 356 to the 718

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2016, 03:35 PM
patdonahue
Pro

Received 403 Likes on 186 Posts

I doubt if you can run a 4 cylinder engine exit exhaust through a turbine and have it sound like a n/a six. We shall see (hear) soon enough what it is like. Who knows, it may be a new distinctive sound that Porsche is going to give us....or not.
Old 02-28-2016, 07:13 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mlambert890
It won't be long before the GT cars are all autonomous too.
When I saw a clueless driver hammer his 991 GT3 @ Spa, completely relying on the electronics to save his *** multiple times per lap, and checked the lap timer whilst I was following him with my Cup car I can only see we are already there.
Old 02-28-2016, 07:14 PM
The New 911
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ir_fuel
So it's all about straight line acceleration when going flat-out from 2K rpm to rev limiter for you? Who cares about engine character, throttle response (let's fit some bigger turbo's, that will help ... ) and precision?

Sounds to me that you are more in the market for a Dodge Hellcat than a Porsche Boxster.
Now come on. I write too much to begin with and it's damn near impossible to write about every single little nuance of the new engine... That's impossible!

And to Hell with the new Hellcats, I am a Buick Turbo Guy, would rather buy an old 87 Grand National and make more BHP and Torque for less of the price the Hellcats.

Besides I'm not jumping on the typical Porschephile bandwagon and say I don't like it, which it seems like happens before any new release or modification, If I
come to that conclusion it will be after I drive one.
Old 02-28-2016, 07:21 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Sounds like the car might be similar to a Ford Focus RS except the Ford has all wheel drive, seats four and probably has a better infotainment system-and half the price! And manual tranny

Last edited by pdxjim; 02-28-2016 at 07:22 PM. Reason: 6 speed transmission
Old 02-28-2016, 10:42 PM
JBsZ06
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

35 more hp and an extra 74 lb/ft of torque for the base model is impressive for the base model. (Thank you for correcting me that its not 350 hp but a still rather impressive 300 hp)

Government regulations have for years been making more efficient and more powerful engines .... Yes it's true CO2 regulations in Europe forced Porsches move to many variations of turbocharged engines. Still who here doesn't remember the seventies when Porsche was such a great pioneer in turbocharging.

I enjoyed my recent test drive of the most recent boxster S with pdk,PASM, sport chrono with 315 hp. This was a fabulous sports car.

At the same time the latest 718 and 718S is even better.

Who is going to argue with an extra 35 hp and and extra 74 lb/ft of tq...plus hopefully the ability to tune for more power more easily and less expensively?

I understand the reaction to change of such a lovely sports car as the Porsche Boxster and bolster S ....

Change can be hard but when it's this good it's hard not to be impressed....

This doesn't make your present rides any less wonderful to own.
Old 02-29-2016, 12:10 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,441 Likes on 834 Posts

Originally Posted by ir_fuel
So it's all about straight line acceleration when going flat-out from 2K rpm to rev limiter for you? Who cares about engine character, throttle response (let's fit some bigger turbo's, that will help ... ) and precision?.
what nonsense.

engine character....NA cars have character, so do turbo cars. One you have to rev the nuts off to get anywhere, the turbo has a ton of torque down low. Different, but still character. Decide which you like better.

throttle response. Slight edge to the NA car, with the exception of when you're not in the powerband.

Precision? this is a meaningless term you've simply just made up in this context.
Old 02-29-2016, 04:56 PM
catamount
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm surprised that no one has posted a link to this video of the new 718s yet.

Old 02-29-2016, 06:48 PM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Received 967 Likes on 456 Posts

I may be in the minority but think the 718 looks slightly better than the 981 where the 991.2 is an aesthetic downgrade from the 991. I think that space under the rear spoiler completes the rear lines compared to the 981. I like it. As far as the engine, sound and fun factor, have to wait and see. Not ruling this one out yet.
Old 03-01-2016, 01:33 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by clutchplate
I may be in the minority but think the 718 looks slightly better than the 981 where the 991.2 is an aesthetic downgrade from the 991. I think that space under the rear spoiler completes the rear lines compared to the 981. I like it. As far as the engine, sound and fun factor, have to wait and see. Not ruling this one out yet.
You are definitely in the minority on the look of the 718 vs the 981. IMO, the rear of the car with the grid and the huge P O R S C H E is the styling lowpoint of the new car. Plus all the writing under the spoiler - most on the board just doesn't think it works, but each to his own. Agree that we'll have to read the full reviews of the car and drive one, too. I've said it many times on the forum, I'm very grateful to have been able to buy one of the very last 981S cars destined for the US.
Old 03-01-2016, 05:22 PM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Received 967 Likes on 456 Posts

I probably should have gone with a manual GTS but I'm a little bored with my 981S PDK and no sport exhaust. Love the Spyder but not the manual top so keeping my options open. Will definitely drive the 718 before I decide what's next.

Quick Reply: Porsche Four-Cylinder Engines: From the 356 to the 718