Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

718 Boxster and 718 Cayman!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 01:37 PM
hawc
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How about some pictures for the click-lazy folks!

Old 12-15-2015, 01:40 PM
Milehigh981
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Want to see better pics of the red top car with the red/black interior. Bet that looks great when clean
Old 12-15-2015, 01:52 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,873 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Similar to the 991.2, the only off-putting aspect of the car for me are the cosmetic changes. The only reason I finally bought a Cayman was because of the styling changes that came with the 981. I thought they took an odd looking car and made it beautiful. The rear styling treatment on this car is a step back toward the 987.
Old 12-15-2015, 02:04 PM
Milehigh981
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Similar to the 991.2, the only off-putting aspect of the car for me are the cosmetic changes. The only reason I finally bought a Cayman was because of the styling changes that came with the 981. I thought they took an odd looking car and made it beautiful. The rear styling treatment on this car is a step back toward the 987.
Yeah, not digging the rear on this from what I can see. Loved the lines of the 981 from first time I saw it.
Old 12-15-2015, 02:40 PM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Those are not the final lights. They'll be 3D like the 911 ones. And if I had to place money I'd say they will still merge into the spoiler somehow.
Old 12-15-2015, 02:56 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by Paul Graville
Those are not the final lights. They'll be 3D like the 911 ones. And if I had to place money I'd say they will still merge into the spoiler somehow.
Highly doubt that. This tail is the one shown in all the previous spy shots and I doubt they would do an early press ride like this with pictures if it was not essentially a finished product. Plus, given that rear wing and brake light design, there is no way to merge it into the lights without a totally different design of the tail and rear decklid.
Old 12-15-2015, 03:57 PM
Sportwagen
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Highly doubt that. This tail is the one shown in all the previous spy shots and I doubt they would do an early press ride like this with pictures if it was not essentially a finished product. Plus, given that rear wing and brake light design, there is no way to merge it into the lights without a totally different design of the tail and rear decklid.
Well, the functional part of the new taillight is definitely what we see in these pictures. The light pattern is completely different from the current Boxster, and it would be very strange if these cars had a taillight that is different from both the current and the new Boxster.

But the outside cover for the taillight may not be the final version. The sixth picture from the bottom shows snow collecting where I don't think it would collect on the current Boxster, suggesting a new recess in the bumper. The fourth picture from the bottom shows the two light bars lining up very nicely just under the new spoiler. One possibility is that the two horizontal light bars are like the central, recessed part of the new 911 lights. And the top, protruding part of the new Boxster taillight would line up with the top of the Boxster's spoiler.

The taillight covers on these cars look pretty strange. The 7th and 8th picture from the top show these incongruent lines at about a 30 degree angle above horizontal, that look like they are partially cut off by the edge of the cover. They look like they are painted on, since the are visible mostly in the daytime pictures and don't light up in any of the night pictures...
Old 12-15-2015, 04:58 PM
jmh981
Instructor

Pic 4 - love the 'Buffalo Crossing' sign on the fence - need that for my garage!
Old 12-15-2015, 05:06 PM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Received 1,703 Likes on 936 Posts

Gawd, I hope they aren't doing a USA specific rear bumper with a narrow plate area... proportions look really bad on that versus the euro.

Old 12-15-2015, 06:59 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Graville
News from Autocar this morning having joined winter testing in Canada:

"As a result of the additional parts needed for the turbo system, the overall weight of the base Boxster has increased from 1315kg to 1400kg."

That's a huge increase! A GT3 is only 30kg more than that! So much for improved handling due to weight loss.

They also say that packaging was difficult. They're proud they squeezed the turbos in the space liberated by the missing 2 cylinders so there won't be a chance of a GTS version with a 911-sourced turbo 6.

This is all very bad news. Glad I'm getting the last of the NA.
Amen! By the way, what are those open slats/vents on the passenger side of the hood in picture #14??
Old 12-15-2015, 07:15 PM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Received 1,703 Likes on 936 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil G.
Amen! By the way, what are those open slats/vents on the passenger side of the hood in picture #14??
I think it is them drawing on the snow of the hood... Looks like them showing cylinder placement and turbo location
Old 12-15-2015, 08:19 PM
Dark Kauphee
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Hello all, I am newly registered to the community, but I have been lurking for quite some time.

I have been a Porsche fan for several decades, but haven't until recently owned one (2011 Cayman with only 3900 miles). I have on the other hand owned Subaru's for the entirety of those two decades, several of which were turbo's, two specifically were STi's, and my last Subaru had a NA H6 3.6.

Comparing a Porsche sport car to a Subaru sports car is like comparing bananas and oranges. Sure they are both fruit, and are both quite adept at being eaten, but the manners in which they get to that end result are tangibly different. The banana, in this case being a Porsche Cayman, is practically the perfect package, and when peeled the processes is near effortless and precise. The orange, in this case being a Subaru STi, is almost the exact opposite as the banana. The packaging is all ripply, and when peeled the process is forced and jagged. Both are sports cars and both are fun to drive, but completely different experiences. That being said, and I know no one was comparing the two, I like the analogy and it sorta leads into what I am about to say.

What Subaru has done with the flat four and flat six, turbo or no turbo, has been fantastic. They are solidly built, have a unique sound and power band all their own, but as a long time Subaru owner, I was always wanting more power from the engines. With the aforementioned, I look forward to seeing what Porsche's iteration of the turbo flat 4 will be for the 718. I am a fan of my NA H6 2.9L, but I wouldn't be any less in love with my Cayman if it came with a turbo H4. The banana in its entirety is what makes it a perfectly packaged piece of fruit.
Old 12-15-2015, 08:37 PM
hawc
Racer

We have SOUND!!!
Originally Posted by DannyLo
Not impressed.
Old 12-15-2015, 09:29 PM
shewu
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hawc
We have SOUND!!!

Not impressed.
Sounds like…generic throaty noise. Wish I had the funds and real estate to keep a 981 Boxster or Cayman.
Old 12-15-2015, 10:46 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Wow that sound clip sounds awful. Even worse than I expected. Sounds manufactured, kinda like a baseball card in the spokes of your sting ray bike.

Quick Reply: 718 Boxster and 718 Cayman!!!