Sponsored by:

Am I Crazy??? 2024 911T to 2024 718 GTS

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2024 | 11:44 AM
IconRPM
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Agree with most of the comments here. I have driven the 991 and 992 T's extensively, and I own a 718 GTS 4.0.

The 911 pulls hard, has a quieter ride, might be objectively faster on street and track. However, the 4.0 NA engine has an emotional factor that just cannot be replaced by a 911 unless you go GT3.
I think of this more as a 'sporty grand tourer' vs 'raw sports car' experience. Both are very capable, but which one do you prefer more?

And yes, OAP is a must if you go 718. That's how the car should've come from the factory!
Old 09-23-2024 | 01:48 PM
jayson
Rennlist Member

Context: I have owned a 991.2 Carrera T since new, and have spent a good amount of time in the 992 T as well, I have a GT4RS on delivery next month. I haven't driven the 718 GTS but have driven the GT4.

I'd highly suggest driving one before pulling the trigger. I think you will notice the following in the 718 coming straight from a 992:

The negative:
- The chassis isn't as evolved, or nearly as capable
- Lacks all of the torque of the 3.0T 911 motor - frankly, it is underwhelming moving from one to the other
- The gearing ratios do the cars no favors

The positive:
- The overall size of the car is perfect
- More fun / organic on a back road in the twisties

I noticed you said the T doesn't feel like a $140k car, remember that the Cayman platform had about another half of the cost taken out of it vs. the 911 when it was launched. And that was vs the 991 generation Carreras.

Don't get me wrong, the GTS is a fine car, I'd just make sure you arent setting yourself up for disappointment going from one to the other.

Old 09-23-2024 | 02:53 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jayson
Context: I have owned a 991.2 Carrera T since new, and have spent a good amount of time in the 992 T as well, I have a GT4RS on delivery next month. I haven't driven the 718 GTS but have driven the GT4.

I'd highly suggest driving one before pulling the trigger. I think you will notice the following in the 718 coming straight from a 992:

The negative:
- The chassis isn't as evolved, or nearly as capable
- Lacks all of the torque of the 3.0T 911 motor - frankly, it is underwhelming moving from one to the other
- The gearing ratios do the cars no favors

The positive:
- The overall size of the car is perfect
- More fun / organic on a back road in the twisties

I noticed you said the T doesn't feel like a $140k car, remember that the Cayman platform had about another half of the cost taken out of it vs. the 911 when it was launched. And that was vs the 991 generation Carreras.

Don't get me wrong, the GTS is a fine car, I'd just make sure you arent setting yourself up for disappointment going from one to the other.
Some good feedback. Having the 992 911T and 718 CGTS40 simultaneously, I have one very different opinion from the above and that's the torque of the 4.0. It feels very strong and every bit as fast as the 911 on the street. Honestly, even faster IMO. I have the OAP pipes which now dyno reports say it adds over 25 RWHP, even if that's half, we're talking about over 400hp in about 3,050 lbs vs 379 in 3,150. I seem to recall the 0 to 60 times published or almost identical but to me the Cayman feels quite a bit faster. On the track, I could see how the 911 reigns superior, but for me the 718 is king.

Drive them and compare. YMMV
The following users liked this post:
Alpha Ice (10-06-2024)
Old 09-23-2024 | 03:04 PM
Chris_Edgar_86
Intermediate

Thanks for all of the comments here!

I’ve decided that as of now it will be “true GT car or bust”… meaning if I can get the allocation on the GT4RS I’ll gladly trade in my 992T for it.

I think my interest in the GTS comes as a result of it being attainable (playing into my impulsiveness) moreso than an actual draw to the car itself.

The GT4RS is the true grail for me.

I also won’t cut corners on that build- with the T I was trying to be cognizant of the “ethos” of the model and not spec full leather (something that would likely give me a more positive feeling on my interior).

Assuming no allocation on the GT4RS, I’ll probably stick with the T for a couple years and then either swap into a pre owned GT car of some sort or modify the T to make it more interesting for myself.

RFMC posted a really slick green 2016 GT4 today, specced with everything I’d want except PCCB’s… but I can’t honestly justify the loss of driveway or garage space on a 4th car at the moment 😢.
Old 10-05-2024 | 02:02 PM
rava981
AutoX

Originally Posted by Bxstr
I would make the move into the GTS.

If you can get 4RS, go that direction, but I would want a second manual car, either a daily driver or a second sports car. I'm thinking Civic Type R for daily driver or 987/981 Boxster for weekend car.

Not saying you, but many focus very heavily on 911 vs Cayman. They're both amazing cars. Would be happy to own either one. 911 is of course a dream for many and I understand wanting to cross it off your list, but I wouldn't focus on the model of 911 vs Cayman. More what you want/need out of your car.
Seccond to this. Sold my 981 2.7, bought a gt4rs and dailying a Reanult megane RS manual that I'm also tracking. Just this morning was debating if I should change the megane for the Type R but decided that a 981 manual is the way to go. My wilfe also drives a 2.0 cayman and in few months will get the 2.7manual as well. The 2.7 with borla and manual just completes the gt4rs. Slow car that you can drive fast, awesome sound, and sharp like a scapple.
Old 10-05-2024 | 02:26 PM
Kram71
Racer

Originally Posted by Chris_Edgar_86
Purely rhetorical question…. I know I am… but would love some feedback and insight from other crazy car people.

At the end of last year I had the opportunity to spec a 2024 911T. I built it to be an “enthusiast spec” by most measures:

Base White
Spyder RS wheels
6 Speed
no sunroof
base seats
bose
sport design kit all around
no RAS

It’s been a joy to drive and perhaps it’s my never ending quest for the “next” thing but I’ve been eyeing building a 718 GTS.

My negatives on the T are few- it feels large, turbo lag does exist, having not gone full leather interior the interior feels very basic… it doesn’t feel like a $140k car… the buffering with windows down is also really annoying. I like that it still feels somewhat analog compared to the 992.2 but it’s still “tech heavy” feeling. I also regret not getting carbon bucket seats (should have known).

I love the idea that it has a rear seat, I have small kids that sometimes go for rides but it’s really a “me” car as I have 2 others for the family.

Whats appealing of the 718 is that it’s smaller, NA, still available in a manual, feels more analog and I can spec it with carbon bucket seats….

Has anyone made a switch like this or considered it themselves?
The only way you would be crazy would be to get a car based on anyone else's preferences. For example I hate 4 seat sports cars. I will never get one. I also prefer smaller more nimble sports cars but those are my preferences not yours. You 100% should get what you feel fits you best. Let us know how it turns out.
Old 10-05-2024 | 04:35 PM
718GTS4L
Instructor

Originally Posted by AdamIsAdam
Some good feedback. Having the 992 911T and 718 CGTS40 simultaneously, I have one very different opinion from the above and that's the torque of the 4.0. It feels very strong and every bit as fast as the 911 on the street. Honestly, even faster IMO. I have the OAP pipes which now dyno reports say it adds over 25 RWHP, even if that's half, we're talking about over 400hp in about 3,050 lbs vs 379 in 3,150. I seem to recall the 0 to 60 times published or almost identical but to me the Cayman feels quite a bit faster. On the track, I could see how the 911 reigns superior, but for me the 718 is king.

Drive them and compare. YMMV
I've got the CGTS4.0 and have driven the 992CS during Porsche track experience.

For street driving, both cars have more than enough power. 0-100km is around 4 seconds for both cars. Just push the pedal a bit deeper for more torque on the NA 4L engine. On track, the 911 feels softer and less willing turn. The GTS4.0 turns more confidently and feels more stiff.

The GTS4.0 NA engine sounds way better than the 911.
​​​​​​
As other people pointed out, the 911 feels like a grand tourer and the GTS4.0 feels more raw.

​​​​​
​​​​​​​
The following 3 users liked this post by 718GTS4L:
BruceT (10-06-2024), fasteddie99 (10-06-2024), Kram71 (10-05-2024)
Old 10-07-2024 | 01:33 AM
todd launchbaugh
Cruisin'

I had a 2016 911 gts and loved it and the sound alone was amazing Sold it when i had two girls in college. I ordered a 2022 cayman gts4.0. And it feels much more nimble and looks like the true evolution of my 1972. However, i haven’t been able to drive it . I just found this thread tonight and will be listing my 2022 cayman gts tomorrow night. Silver , manual, 1760 miles. It is shame to sell it but I have a 72 and and 86 and all three are silver metallic/black

Old 10-07-2024 | 01:41 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Are you crazy?

It depends purely on what you want out of the car and how you plan to use it.

I own a 992 T. Unexpectedly, I've fallen in love with the SRS and have gotten in line for one.

The 992 T is the best Carrera IMO. It does everything well. It dailies well, it's a good road-trip-in-a-sports-car car, it's a great canyon car.
The SRS for me would be an occasion car. A car you take out just to drive. The GT4RS is the same but more track focused.
I would not let go of one for the other.

Rather than getting caught up in the "owning your first GT car" high, I highly recommend you give thought to your user case.
So many people make the mistake of buying a GT car thinking it's the pinnacle, only to end up with a car they rarely use.
You having little kids and a four seater 911 is a missed opportunity if you're not taking them out for ice cream.
I get your complaints about the T, but don't kid yourself... you have a great car and in your case, not getting buckets might've been a blessing in disguise so you could get the rear seats you're not using yet.

If I was in your situation, I'd keep the T and start taking my family on road trips and my kids out for ice cream more often.
Old 10-07-2024 | 01:49 PM
Chris_Edgar_86
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Wilder;[url=tel:19683641
19683641]Are you crazy?

It depends purely on what you want out of the car and how you plan to use it.

I own a 992 T. Unexpectedly, I've fallen in love with the SRS and have gotten in line for one.

The 992 T is the best Carrera IMO. It does everything well. It dailies well, it's a good road-trip-in-a-sports-car car, it's a great canyon car.
The SRS for me would be an occasion car. A car you take out just to drive. The GT4RS is the same but more track focused.
I would not let go of one for the other.

Rather than getting caught up in the "owning your first GT car" high, I highly recommend you give thought to your user case.
So many people make the mistake of buying a GT car thinking it's the pinnacle, only to end up with a car they rarely use.
You having little kids and a four seater 911 is a missed opportunity if you're not taking them out for ice cream.
I get your complaints about the T, but don't kid yourself... you have a great car and in your case, not getting buckets might've been a blessing in disguise so you could get the rear seats you're not using yet.

If I was in your situation, I'd keep the T and start taking my family on road trips and my kids out for ice cream more often.

Great advice- I think I’ve settled on the right answer…. Which is both lol.

I ordered the SRS and did not trade the T (yet).

I found a place to store an “extra car” locally as well.

so we’ll see when the SRS comes in but I can see a use case for both here.

Last edited by Chris_Edgar_86; 10-07-2024 at 06:15 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Chris_Edgar_86:
OKCabriolet (10-07-2024), Wilder (10-07-2024)
Old 10-07-2024 | 02:21 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

@Chris_Edgar_86 perfect choice. Congrats!
Chris_Edgar_86 (10-07-2024)
Old 10-09-2024 | 02:16 PM
meyecul
Pro

I am strongly considering a similar scenario. I ordered my 2023 base 992 built to my exact desire. I have had the car 16 months and love love owning it, love love looking at it, but if being completely honest with myself cannot say that I love love the driving experience of it. As others have said, its such a good capable car (almost too good), but its not my daily driver (21 Macan GTS for that) and just does not feel as much of an occasion when I take it out as I expected. If it were my only car, no brainer, I would keep. If I went 718 GTS 4.0, it would be a manual for the engagement.

Another part of the struggle is I waited my whole life to own a 911 (saved many years to reach this goal) and the thought of giving it up is painful (especially since it was my custom build). I am really not sure what to do. I can have a GTS 4.0 allocation right now from my dealer if I want it and given only 1600 miles on my 992, would be an strong easy trade (I know, shame on me with that milage, but life has been busy). I have to make the decision soon so not sure if I go for it or maybe wait for the next 911 T. Not sure the T would give me the engagement that I must be seeking given still a 992 platform. Would be an easier decision if this was not the end of 718 4.0 and could be my one shot at an allocation. Oh what to do...

Last edited by meyecul; 10-09-2024 at 02:17 PM.
Old 10-09-2024 | 02:20 PM
Kram71
Racer

Originally Posted by meyecul
I am strongly considering a similar scenario. I ordered my 2023 base 992 built to my exact desire. I have had the car 16 months and love love owning it, love love looking at it, but if being completely honest with myself cannot say that I love love the driving experience of it. As others have said, its such a good capable car (almost too good), but its not my daily driver (21 Macan GTS for that) and just does not feel as much of an occasion when I take it out as I expected. If it were my only car, no brainer, I would keep. If I went 718 GTS 4.0, it would be a manual for the engagement.

Another part of the struggle is I waited my whole life to own a 911 (saved many years to reach this goal) and the thought of giving it up is painful (especially since it was my custom build). I am really not sure what to do. I can have a GTS 4.0 allocation right now from my dealer if I want it and given only 1600 miles on my 992, would be an strong easy trade (I know, shame on me with that milage, but life has been busy). I have to make the decision soon so not sure if I go for it or maybe wait for the next 911 T. Not sure the T would give me the engagement that I must be seeking given still a 992 platform. Would be an easier decision if this was not the end of 718 4.0 and could be my one shot at an allocation. Oh what to do...
Whether a 911 or a 718 you pay a lot of money for these cars. You should get what makes you happy. No shame in any decision you make. Its your car. No explanations needed to anyone. A guy online goes through different supercars every 3-6 months. He likes trying new cars. That is one of his lifes pleasures.
meyecul (10-09-2024)
Old 10-09-2024 | 03:12 PM
JCtx
Three Wheelin'

Another part of the struggle is I waited my whole life to own a 911 (saved many years to reach this goal) and the thought of giving it up is painful (especially since it was my custom build).
Cars (and almost anything else) change, and many times not for the better. So when you have such a goal, by the time you reach it, it might not be what you thought it'd be. Happens all the time. I don't want a 911 either. Anyway, in your case, it shouldn't be 'painful' to move on. On the contrary; you got the car you thought you wanted, owned it a reasonable amount of time, and it wasn't what you expected, so why keep it? Makes no sense to me, especially if you buy such cars for the driving experience, like many of us do. The CGTS will be miles more fun to drive, especially 6MT, so go for it man. And even if you load it to the gills, you should break even, or even have a little bit extra for a decent exhaust. Ha ha. Good luck.
The following 2 users liked this post by JCtx:
Kram71 (10-09-2024), meyecul (10-09-2024)
Old 10-09-2024 | 03:27 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

As you may have read above about my experiences, I have NO regrets about selling my 911T after one summer of ownership. And while the 911 is sexy and iconic beyond most every other car, for me (and you) the driving experience was not as good as the rest of the ownership experience. So now when I talk to people, especially not hard core car people, I tell them, "yup, had a 911 that I ordered new. I like this one better." It's a slightly different conversation than when people think someone "settled" for a Cayman (not that $100k is settling, but you all get it).

Real car people get it. Some prefer mid-engine driving dynamics to rear engine. Or the smaller car in general. Or whatever people's individual tastes are.

You have a chance to order THE LAST Porsche mid-engine (ICE) GTS 4.0. To me, that's a no-brainer!
The following 2 users liked this post by AdamIsAdam:
Kram71 (10-09-2024), meyecul (10-09-2024)

Quick Reply: Am I Crazy??? 2024 911T to 2024 718 GTS