Sponsored by:

Am I Crazy??? 2024 911T to 2024 718 GTS

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2024, 12:33 PM
Chris_Edgar_86
Track Day

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Am I Crazy??? 2024 911T to 2024 718 GTS

Purely rhetorical question…. I know I am… but would love some feedback and insight from other crazy car people.

At the end of last year I had the opportunity to spec a 2024 911T. I built it to be an “enthusiast spec” by most measures:

Base White
Spyder RS wheels
6 Speed
no sunroof
base seats
bose
sport design kit all around
no RAS

It’s been a joy to drive and perhaps it’s my never ending quest for the “next” thing but I’ve been eyeing building a 718 GTS.

My negatives on the T are few- it feels large, turbo lag does exist, having not gone full leather interior the interior feels very basic… it doesn’t feel like a $140k car… the buffering with windows down is also really annoying. I like that it still feels somewhat analog compared to the 992.2 but it’s still “tech heavy” feeling. I also regret not getting carbon bucket seats (should have known).

I love the idea that it has a rear seat, I have small kids that sometimes go for rides but it’s really a “me” car as I have 2 others for the family.

Whats appealing of the 718 is that it’s smaller, NA, still available in a manual, feels more analog and I can spec it with carbon bucket seats….

Has anyone made a switch like this or considered it themselves?
Old 09-17-2024, 02:15 PM
jfpell
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 46 Posts

I had a 2022 Carrera GTS. I sold it about 1 year later. Objectively, it was a great car and I had the opportunity to spec it exactly the way I wanted it.

Subjectively, it felt it to be physically large and more grand touring-oriented rather than a sports car. This is my opinion and others will, and are welcome to, disagree. I didn't like the touch screens and virtual gauges. To me, it had lost that more nimble and agile feel of my 997.1 Carrera S. I found the back seat more useful in the package shelf configuration. If I could have done a rear seat delete, I would have.

In the interim, I bought a 2014 Cayman S and personally got back what I was looking for as I previously had a 981 Cayman GTS. I am now awaiting delivery of a Cayman GTS 4.0.

The important thing (to me) was to regain a sports car feeling without sacrificing the options that I did really like in the 992. Of course, 982 interior tech is a generation back from the 992 tech and that is perfectly fine with me.

Last edited by jfpell; 09-17-2024 at 02:17 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by jfpell:
Bearrun21 (09-20-2024), Chris_Edgar_86 (09-17-2024), InfamousMS (Today), Kram71 (09-17-2024), UncleDude (09-20-2024)
Old 09-17-2024, 02:51 PM
JCtx
Three Wheelin'

Received 188 Likes on 137 Posts

I haven't owned a 911, but I'm one of the few that never will, because I'm just not interested, precisely because of the reasons you mentioned. Plus it just doesn't drive or feel like a Cayman, especially in the twisties. And it's just not worth what they sell for nowadays IMO. Anyway, I have driven many 911s, but not a T, so can't specifically comment on it. But I'm almost sure it has the same 7-sp (not '6 Speed') as regular 911s, no? I just didn't like the feel of the regular 7-sp myself (which is a PDK with a clutch), but maybe the T feels better due to the shorter shifter? One thing I wish Caymans had, was a taller 6th, for more relaxed cruising, so you might miss that. The performance should be about the same, but the GTS will sound much better, especially with an aftermarket exhaust (too quiet stock). The buffeting is going to be very similar, unfortunately, since it's basically the same shape from the B-pillars forward. I remember buying some OEM looking 'spoiler' triangles (in front of the windows) on my ex-981 GTS that improved things, but they only raised the buffeting speed from about 25 to 40 mph, so still pretty much useless. So won't bother with those on the new one. Suncoast sells some ugly ones that are tacked on, which could be more effective, since they look bigger, but no way my OCD would approve of them. Ha ha. Finally, I'd never own a 911 or Cayman without full leather interior, so definitely get that. It makes the car feel special. The rental-car plastic dash is a complete turn-off to me, and you look at it 100% of the time you're driving. The good news is you should be able to sell your T close to what you paid for it, so you wouldn't lose much. Plus the GTS is cheaper, so you wouldn't have to shell any more money for sure. Good luck with your decision, but after driving one, I'm sure you'll jump ship to this side of the isle.

Last edited by JCtx; 09-17-2024 at 02:54 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by JCtx:
Chris_Edgar_86 (09-17-2024), mikedee (09-20-2024)
Old 09-17-2024, 10:24 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Received 636 Likes on 406 Posts

I had the previous generation C4S manual for five years and now have a Boxster 25. The 911 is a very nice car but I enjoy driving the Boxster much more. It feels smaller, more nimble and is a joy. The NA engine is very lively and the manual is a gem with the short shifter in my car. I think you will be happy with the switch as long as you don’t mind the tech from the previous generation car. Good luck with your decision.
The following users liked this post:
Pantera1683 (09-24-2024)
Old 09-18-2024, 11:10 AM
Phillip Berk
Rennlist Member

Received 278 Likes on 136 Posts

After Ordering my GTS 4.0 I actually test drove a stripper T (126 sticker) and while it was still very good, and definitely noticeably faster, especially down low with all that turbo torque, I much prefer my GTS 4.0 for a bunch of reasons, smaller, more nimble, sounds much much better, especially with Klines help, and for the same money or even less money, you can get yourself an absolutely killer spec GTS 4.0, all the leather you would ever want, carbon buckets, and all the other fun porsche options you can do. I also think down the road value wise a highly enthusiast specced GTS 4.0, especially a final mode year car will be worth more, besides just the fact that it is a more fun and exciting car. What you loose in power down low, you get back in high rpm, instant throttle response, sound and nimbleness and size. I would do it, especially since now you have already experienced the 992. I will say that if financially it allowed- I would absolutely still love to have something like a TTS cab along side, they are such different cars and I feel like in todays day age with the size and weight of 992's, they are more suited to extremely fast luxury GT cruisers.

Last edited by Phillip Berk; 09-18-2024 at 11:12 AM.
baege (09-20-2024)
Old 09-18-2024, 11:23 AM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 602 Likes on 405 Posts

Definitely get the carbon buckets! I find them completely comfortable and they transform how the car feels and it creates that sensation of being more one with the car. Personally, I have the base interior and it doesn't bug me at all. But then again, I've never had nice cars before with leather interiors; the closest would have been my S2000. The only things I really care about are the things I touch, so the seats, steering wheel, and shifter.

To me, the 911 has morphed into a grand touring vehicle. It has variants that are insane track vehicles, but the same can be said of the BMW M3. I personally like the dynamics of the mid-engine layout better. And to your point, it's a "me" car, so I don't need the back seats.
Old 09-18-2024, 12:01 PM
Kram71
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Not crazy at all imo. The 911 is a great car but the only 911 I really like visually is the GT3 RS. Otherwise I'm 718 all day long.

No back seat.
Mid engine.
Lighter.
Tossable.
Old 09-19-2024, 06:32 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Received 4,075 Likes on 1,769 Posts

I bought a new 22 CGTS40. Absolutely love the car. Possibly best all around car for me that I've ever driven.

In 2023 I had the opportunity to get a new T. I was given the first allocation. I had both at the same time.

After one driving season, I sold the... 911T. I've written about the comparisons a lot here, but for me, the smaller, mid engine, NA car is better. (And don't get me started on that crappy 7 speed manual! Nor the very muted exhaust on the turbo motor.)

I now have a 981 Booster GTS that I also like much more than I expected I would.

The only thing that would get me to sell my Cayman is a 718 Spyder and a lack of garage space

EDIT: I forgot to add, the 911 is a beast on track. The way it launches out of the apex is incredible. That I will not deny it.

Last edited by AdamIsAdam; 09-19-2024 at 08:58 PM.
Old 09-19-2024, 06:50 PM
Chris_Edgar_86
Track Day

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for all the validation folks!

So this got more interesting….

I was texting with my sales rep at Porsche yesterday and explaining everything from here, she understood and agreed with it. Sounds like the 718GTS will be no problem to order… then she hits me with “out of curiosity let me see your GT4RS build”.

Without any further talk of the GTS thereafter.

In my mind, I’m telling myself there’s a chance!

That’s my personal dream car, but I’d sort of come to terms with it being unattainable as I’m not a huge customer of the dealership or willing to pay a huge ADM.

We shall see, either way, it seems some form of a 718 is in the near future.

The following 2 users liked this post by Chris_Edgar_86:
Kram71 (09-20-2024), Porsched (09-19-2024)
Old 09-20-2024, 10:46 PM
Bearrun21
Racer

Received 362 Likes on 168 Posts

I just completed a Porsche experience event (sponsored by a local dealer) in the Chicagoland area (Autobahn in Joliet). It was the 911T and CGTS for the sports car grouping. Not enough seat time to get into minutia, but @AdamIsAdam is on-point with his comments. There IS strong power from that 911T motor--and it can really drive a pretty line through sweeping turns...but for me...it 100% confirmed I am a 718 guy...and I can't wait for my ordered CGTS in Racing Yellow to arrive.

I've owned 4 previous 718, Caymans--important other 718 notes:
  • One of my favorite drives is windows down and at highway speeds. The Cayman is NOT plagued by wind buffeting.
  • What a beautiful interior in the 718. Knowing you are likely to go with buckets...still consider the deviated stitching and adding painted trim. Touches that just make the car feel so special.
  • For exhaust, what an EASY and INEXPESIVE mod to remove the GPF and go with an OAP. (And of course, you can go further.)
Best wishes with your process.
AdamIsAdam (09-21-2024)
Old 09-20-2024, 10:57 PM
Kram71
Racer

Originally Posted by Bearrun21
I just completed a Porsche experience event (sponsored by a local dealer) in the Chicagoland area (Autobahn in Joliet). It was the 911T and CGTS for the sports car grouping. Not enough seat time to get into minutia, but @AdamIsAdam is on-point with his comments. There IS strong power from that 911T motor--and it can really drive a pretty line through sweeping turns...but for me...it 100% confirmed I am a 718 guy...and I can't wait for my ordered CGTS in Racing Yellow to arrive.

I've owned 4 previous 718, Caymans--important other 718 notes:
  • One of my favorite drives is windows down and at highway speeds. The Cayman is NOT plagued by wind buffeting.
  • What a beautiful interior in the 718. Knowing you are likely to go with buckets...still consider the deviated stitching and adding painted trim. Touches that just make the car feel so special.
  • For exhaust, what an EASY and INEXPESIVE mod to remove the GPF and go with an OAP. (And of course, you can go further.)
Best wishes with your process.
GPF? OAP? ☺️
Old 09-21-2024, 12:17 AM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Received 4,075 Likes on 1,769 Posts

Gas Particulate Filters = GPF
Over Axle Pipes= OAP
They need to be banished from all 718 4.0's
(And don't forget the exhaust valve controller.)

BTW, I feel that both cars have wind buffeting, which is easily solved with an aftermarket air foil.
Old 09-21-2024, 04:01 AM
JCtx
Three Wheelin'

Received 188 Likes on 137 Posts

I had a nice integrated 'air foil' on my ex-981 Cayman GTS, and it only increased the buffeting speed from about 25, to 40 mph. It was deafening after that, so basically useless. Suncoast sells a crappy tacked-on one, but no way I'd slap that to my Porsche, even if I got paid. Ha ha. But it might be more effective, since it's bigger. The solution seems to be to lower both windows (probably fully), so might give that a try on a cool mountain run, although my base Cayman won't sing like my ex-981 GTS did with PSE ON. It was incredible. The 4.0 doesn't even come close, probably due to stricter noise regulations, plus that crappy GPF. What a shame. By the way, is the GPF separate from the cat(s), or it's one and the same? Hopefully the former, because I'd never mess with the cats.

Last edited by JCtx; 09-21-2024 at 04:03 AM.
Old 09-21-2024, 06:16 AM
Kram71
Racer

Originally Posted by AdamIsAdam
Gas Particulate Filters = GPF
Over Axle Pipes= OAP
They need to be banished from all 718 4.0's
(And don't forget the exhaust valve controller.)

BTW, I feel that both cars have wind buffeting, which is easily solved with an aftermarket air foil.
Thank you!
Old 09-21-2024, 02:49 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,213 Likes on 2,196 Posts

I would make the move into the GTS.

If you can get 4RS, go that direction, but I would want a second manual car, either a daily driver or a second sports car. I'm thinking Civic Type R for daily driver or 987/981 Boxster for weekend car.

Not saying you, but many focus very heavily on 911 vs Cayman. They're both amazing cars. Would be happy to own either one. 911 is of course a dream for many and I understand wanting to cross it off your list, but I wouldn't focus on the model of 911 vs Cayman. More what you want/need out of your car.

Quick Reply: Am I Crazy??? 2024 911T to 2024 718 GTS