Am I Crazy??? 2024 911T to 2024 718 GTS

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2024, 11:44 AM
IconRPM
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

Agree with most of the comments here. I have driven the 991 and 992 T's extensively, and I own a 718 GTS 4.0.

The 911 pulls hard, has a quieter ride, might be objectively faster on street and track. However, the 4.0 NA engine has an emotional factor that just cannot be replaced by a 911 unless you go GT3.
I think of this more as a 'sporty grand tourer' vs 'raw sports car' experience. Both are very capable, but which one do you prefer more?

And yes, OAP is a must if you go 718. That's how the car should've come from the factory!
Old 09-23-2024, 01:48 PM
jayson
Rennlist Member

Received 503 Likes on 156 Posts

Context: I have owned a 991.2 Carrera T since new, and have spent a good amount of time in the 992 T as well, I have a GT4RS on delivery next month. I haven't driven the 718 GTS but have driven the GT4.

I'd highly suggest driving one before pulling the trigger. I think you will notice the following in the 718 coming straight from a 992:

The negative:
- The chassis isn't as evolved, or nearly as capable
- Lacks all of the torque of the 3.0T 911 motor - frankly, it is underwhelming moving from one to the other
- The gearing ratios do the cars no favors

The positive:
- The overall size of the car is perfect
- More fun / organic on a back road in the twisties

I noticed you said the T doesn't feel like a $140k car, remember that the Cayman platform had about another half of the cost taken out of it vs. the 911 when it was launched. And that was vs the 991 generation Carreras.

Don't get me wrong, the GTS is a fine car, I'd just make sure you arent setting yourself up for disappointment going from one to the other.

Old 09-23-2024, 02:53 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Received 4,075 Likes on 1,769 Posts

Originally Posted by jayson
Context: I have owned a 991.2 Carrera T since new, and have spent a good amount of time in the 992 T as well, I have a GT4RS on delivery next month. I haven't driven the 718 GTS but have driven the GT4.

I'd highly suggest driving one before pulling the trigger. I think you will notice the following in the 718 coming straight from a 992:

The negative:
- The chassis isn't as evolved, or nearly as capable
- Lacks all of the torque of the 3.0T 911 motor - frankly, it is underwhelming moving from one to the other
- The gearing ratios do the cars no favors

The positive:
- The overall size of the car is perfect
- More fun / organic on a back road in the twisties

I noticed you said the T doesn't feel like a $140k car, remember that the Cayman platform had about another half of the cost taken out of it vs. the 911 when it was launched. And that was vs the 991 generation Carreras.

Don't get me wrong, the GTS is a fine car, I'd just make sure you arent setting yourself up for disappointment going from one to the other.
Some good feedback. Having the 992 911T and 718 CGTS40 simultaneously, I have one very different opinion from the above and that's the torque of the 4.0. It feels very strong and every bit as fast as the 911 on the street. Honestly, even faster IMO. I have the OAP pipes which now dyno reports say it adds over 25 RWHP, even if that's half, we're talking about over 400hp in about 3,050 lbs vs 379 in 3,150. I seem to recall the 0 to 60 times published or almost identical but to me the Cayman feels quite a bit faster. On the track, I could see how the 911 reigns superior, but for me the 718 is king.

Drive them and compare. YMMV
Old 09-23-2024, 03:04 PM
Chris_Edgar_86
Track Day

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for all of the comments here!

I’ve decided that as of now it will be “true GT car or bust”… meaning if I can get the allocation on the GT4RS I’ll gladly trade in my 992T for it.

I think my interest in the GTS comes as a result of it being attainable (playing into my impulsiveness) moreso than an actual draw to the car itself.

The GT4RS is the true grail for me.

I also won’t cut corners on that build- with the T I was trying to be cognizant of the “ethos” of the model and not spec full leather (something that would likely give me a more positive feeling on my interior).

Assuming no allocation on the GT4RS, I’ll probably stick with the T for a couple years and then either swap into a pre owned GT car of some sort or modify the T to make it more interesting for myself.

RFMC posted a really slick green 2016 GT4 today, specced with everything I’d want except PCCB’s… but I can’t honestly justify the loss of driveway or garage space on a 4th car at the moment 😢.

Quick Reply: Am I Crazy??? 2024 911T to 2024 718 GTS