Sponsored by:

Its Finally Here! 2024 Boxster GTS 4.0!

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2024, 06:56 PM
JCtx
Three Wheelin'

Received 188 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Xxyion
But you did end up choosing the Burmester! Nice!
Yeah, didn't want to have any regrets this time. Ha ha. So glad the deal fell apart with the '24, since I'd have to give up 2 options (GT wheel and power steering column). Then realized I could regret not getting PTV (mostly for the LSD), and especially Burmester (didn't want to mess with a Bose upgrade), so loaded the '25 to the gills. Also added the steering case in leather, and headlight washers in GT silver, and forget what else, but basically the car has everything I wanted. With the '25 price increase, and those extra options, the MSRP went up 14 grand, but won't have any regrets. At least I hope so. Ha ha. Oh, and I got a $1,700 discount, to I still can say I kept it a few bucks below my $100K self-imposed limit. But of course after TTL and expensive accessories, it'll be more like $110K. Oh well. Can't wait to get it, but might be a long wait.

Last edited by JCtx; 09-03-2024 at 06:57 PM.
Old 09-03-2024, 07:20 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

Received 1,545 Likes on 861 Posts

Originally Posted by JCtx
Yeah, didn't want to have any regrets this time. Ha ha. So glad the deal fell apart with the '24, since I'd have to give up 2 options (GT wheel and power steering column). Then realized I could regret not getting PTV (mostly for the LSD), and especially Burmester (didn't want to mess with a Bose upgrade), so loaded the '25 to the gills. Also added the steering case in leather, and headlight washers in GT silver, and forget what else, but basically the car has everything I wanted. With the '25 price increase, and those extra options, the MSRP went up 14 grand, but won't have any regrets. At least I hope so. Ha ha. Oh, and I got a $1,700 discount, to I still can say I kept it a few bucks below my $100K self-imposed limit. But of course after TTL and expensive accessories, it'll be more like $110K. Oh well. Can't wait to get it, but might be a long wait.
I think it's worth it. Especially since it sounds like you care more about the driving experience rather than what engine you have. The 4.0 was a must have for me. But i basically did the same with my build. I got everything that i wanted and didnt leave out anything. When i specced my GT4 there were some options i wished i specced like the PDLS and a better sound system vs the standard system the car came with. So i got those upgrades in the GTS. I look forward to driving my car every day even if its just the 5 minutes down the road to work.
Old 09-04-2024, 02:10 AM
JCtx
Three Wheelin'

it sounds like you care more about the driving experience, rather than what engine you have
Absolutely this time. My ex-981 GTS sounded like a race car (with PSE on), and I drove it like one, since it sounded amazing at higher rpm. The little 4 sounds amazing at lower rpm, and being the slowest Porsche sports car, I felt relaxed right off the bat, and didn't even want to try WOT. That is the kind of driving experience I want now, enjoying every shift, enjoying the sound of the engine even at lower rpm, and just driving in a relaxed matter, because I didn't feel like driving fast at all. The manual tranny also adds to that relaxed feeling, since I also know a manual is slower than a PDK. I enjoyed that test-drive immensely, and after hitting some twisties too, I was completely sold on the little 4 banger. Plus I didn't want to spend over 100 grand, so everything came into place with this car. And a final thing that will keep me from speeding will be the manual tranny, since it only goes 74 at 3K rpm in top gear (my ex-GTS PDK did 105), so I won't even want to go that fast when traveling, as the engine will be screaming. Ha ha. I'll definitely push it hard in the twisties when possible, but it'll be driven in a relaxed manner most of the time, including the highway. Just like you, it'll be something I'll greatly enjoy driving anywhere, for 5 minutes, or for hours. Or even just to sit, smell the leather, and listen to some music, without the engine noise. I bet the Burmester sounds fantastic without any ambient noise.

Last edited by JCtx; 09-04-2024 at 02:12 AM.
The following users liked this post:
OKCabriolet (09-22-2024)
Old 09-04-2024, 08:48 AM
Kram71
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Absolutely this time. My ex-981 GTS sounded like a race car (with PSE on), and I drove it like one, since it sounded amazing at higher rpm. The little 4 sounds amazing at lower rpm, and being the slowest Porsche sports car, I felt relaxed right off the bat, and didn't even want to try WOT. That is the kind of driving experience I want now, enjoying every shift, enjoying the sound of the engine even at lower rpm, and just driving in a relaxed matter, because I didn't feel like driving fast at all. The manual tranny also adds to that relaxed feeling, since I also know a manual is slower than a PDK. I enjoyed that test-drive immensely, and after hitting some twisties too, I was completely sold on the little 4 banger. Plus I didn't want to spend over 100 grand, so everything came into place with this car. And a final thing that will keep me from speeding will be the manual tranny, since it only goes 74 at 3K rpm in top gear (my ex-GTS PDK did 105), so I won't even want to go that fast when traveling, as the engine will be screaming. Ha ha. I'll definitely push it hard in the twisties when possible, but it'll be driven in a relaxed manner most of the time, including the highway. Just like you, it'll be something I'll greatly enjoy driving anywhere, for 5 minutes, or for hours. Or even just to sit, smell the leather, and listen to some music, without the engine noise. I bet the Burmester sounds fantastic without any ambient noise.
I like that!

Last edited by Kram71; 09-04-2024 at 08:51 AM.
Old 09-04-2024, 03:31 PM
JCtx
Three Wheelin'

Found a '21 GTS 4.0 CPO loaded to the gills with almost all the options I chose, for basically the same price of my '25 base, with the exception that for some weird reason, the original owner deleted the desirable RaceTex headliner: https://finder.porsche.com/us/en-US/...k&order=newest But of course it has the wrong color, wrong interior, and wrong wheels for me (my ex-GTS was black with the same turbo wheels, by the way... but not again). Having said that, even if it had my color/wheel specs, I'd still get the new base. Sometimes wish I wasn't that '****'. Ha ha. But looks like a decent deal (MSRP $115K+ back then), if you're okay with the mileage.

Last edited by JCtx; 09-04-2024 at 03:36 PM.
Old 09-04-2024, 04:09 PM
MF Jones
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 9 Posts

You inspired me . . . seen your post a week or so ago and came across one this weekend. After a test drive and and a very generous offer by the sales manager, it's now at home in my garage. My last cab was an M4 comp X and this blows it away.

The following 2 users liked this post by MF Jones:
Angus725 (09-05-2024), Kram71 (09-04-2024)
Old 09-04-2024, 04:28 PM
Kram71
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by MF Jones
You inspired me . . . seen your post a week or so ago and came across one this weekend. After a test drive and and a very generous offer by the sales manager, it's now at home in my garage. My last cab was an M4 comp X and this blows it away.

Looks great!!! Congrats!!!
Old 09-04-2024, 05:36 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

Amazing! Love the shark blue! How is the GT3 touring? That is my wife's dream car and i hope to make enough to buy her one someday.
Kram71 (09-04-2024)
Old 09-05-2024, 12:15 PM
bantam1
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 36 Posts

I think it's worth it. Especially since it sounds like you care more about the driving experience rather than what engine you have. The 4.0 was a must have for me. But i basically did the same with my build. I got everything that i wanted and didnt leave out anything. When i specced my GT4 there were some options i wished i specced like the PDLS and a better sound system vs the standard system the car came with. So i got those upgrades in the GTS. I look forward to driving my car every day even if its just the 5 minutes down the road to work.
Congrats on getting your car finally!

I really enjoy reading other people’s option choices and their explanations for the choices, gives some interesting insight into why they bought the car and what they value.

For example, on my CGTS, I got the Bose and I think it was probably a waste of money, as this is my weekend car and rarely find myself fiddling with the radio, my headlights are the normal ones, and I am quite happy with how they look and work. I also have the rubber dash, which seems to be hated by most people, but I am pretty pleased with it.

The one option that I am kicking myself on though is the trim, wish I had paid for black brushed aluminum, as there do tend to be quite a few reflections off of the silver plastic. but even once you do that, there are various other chrome bits on the dash to flash your eyes…so maybe it doesn’t matter.

Anyway, enjoy your new ride, and glad it is what you wanted!

Kram71 (09-05-2024)
Old 09-05-2024, 03:03 PM
Angus725
Intermediate

Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts

Xxyion, were you driving up Central Expressway between Santa Clara and Sunnyvale earlier today? Saw a Python Green BGTS going northbound and I'm not sure how many others there are in the Bay Area lol
Old 09-05-2024, 10:57 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

Originally Posted by bantam1
Congrats on getting your car finally!

I really enjoy reading other people’s option choices and their explanations for the choices, gives some interesting insight into why they bought the car and what they value.

For example, on my CGTS, I got the Bose and I think it was probably a waste of money, as this is my weekend car and rarely find myself fiddling with the radio, my headlights are the normal ones, and I am quite happy with how they look and work. I also have the rubber dash, which seems to be hated by most people, but I am pretty pleased with it.

The one option that I am kicking myself on though is the trim, wish I had paid for black brushed aluminum, as there do tend to be quite a few reflections off of the silver plastic. but even once you do that, there are various other chrome bits on the dash to flash your eyes…so maybe it doesn’t matter.

Anyway, enjoy your new ride, and glad it is what you wanted!
Its interesting because somethings that i thought i wouldnt want (so i didnt spec in my GT4) i realized i actually wanted and so i got it in the GTS. The PDLS lights in my opinion are worth the upgrade and i have much better nighttime vision compared to the base headlights on my GT4. Funny enough, both the base and PDLS headlights illuminate the road better than my M4 BMW Lazer lights which is like...their whole thing, but i always found the illumination was terrible.
Originally Posted by Angus725
Xxyion, were you driving up Central Expressway between Santa Clara and Sunnyvale earlier today? Saw a Python Green BGTS going northbound and I'm not sure how many others there are in the Bay Area lol
Haha no i wish i had the optiont to choose Python Green again. Aventurine Green is great though. If you are in the area i'm sure i'll see you around though!
Angus725 (09-06-2024)
Old 09-22-2024, 02:04 AM
Xxyion
Drifting

So ive been finding that ive been enjoying Sport mode the most. Sport seems to feel the closest to the GT4 when it had PDK sport on. For some reason Sport+, you basically just have to drive it manual mode or else the programming is just too aggressive in Auto. I dont remember it being that aggressive in my GT4 which was interesting. At one point switching to Sport + in the GTS it downshifted to 1st, which it has never done when i was in the GT4. I'll probably prefer Sport+ when i'm out on the track, but for daily driving and spirited driving, Sport seems to be the best for me.
Old 09-22-2024, 04:11 AM
JCtx
Three Wheelin'

Yeah, sport+ is way too aggressive for street driving on PDK cars. Mine will be manual. Did you feel any difference in throttle mapping? What I like about sport+ is it reportedly cuts the childish farting and popping. Ha ha. But don't know what else it does on a manual car. Maybe it augments the crappy fake engine noise, but I'll remove the Soundaktor fuse immediately, so that won't affect my car anymore. So maybe just more aggressive throttle mapping, and more relaxed nannies? I don't think idle increases any more, right? I don't like idle increases in sport mode (it should be only in sport+ IMO), but not the end of the world. If I happen to be caught in traffic, could put the car in normal mode, to lower idle...but what I don't like about normal mode is both coolant and oil temperatures go to the roof. So will probably always keep it in either sport, or sport+ (most likely sport too). Also curious what happens with the exhaust valves. Somebody said in a video that they open until 4K rpm or so, but I could swear you can hear the difference at idle, so not sure which is true. And they're vacuum valves, right? So there's no middle ground: they're either open or closed. At least that was the case on my 981. My ex-'20 Bullitt had electric valves, which were great, since they have 4 different openings, and they stayed open all the time.Unlike regular Mustang GTs, that car sounded awesome.

Last edited by JCtx; 09-22-2024 at 04:13 AM.
Old Yesterday, 05:36 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

Yeah, sport+ is way too aggressive for street driving on PDK cars. Mine will be manual. Did you feel any difference in throttle mapping? What I like about sport+ is it reportedly cuts the childish farting and popping. Ha ha. But don't know what else it does on a manual car. Maybe it augments the crappy fake engine noise, but I'll remove the Soundaktor fuse immediately, so that won't affect my car anymore. So maybe just more aggressive throttle mapping, and more relaxed nannies? I don't think idle increases any more, right? I don't like idle increases in sport mode (it should be only in sport+ IMO), but not the end of the world. If I happen to be caught in traffic, could put the car in normal mode, to lower idle...but what I don't like about normal mode is both coolant and oil temperatures go to the roof. So will probably always keep it in either sport, or sport+ (most likely sport too). Also curious what happens with the exhaust valves. Somebody said in a video that they open until 4K rpm or so, but I could swear you can hear the difference at idle, so not sure which is true. And they're vacuum valves, right? So there's no middle ground: they're either open or closed. At least that was the case on my 981. My ex-'20 Bullitt had electric valves, which were great, since they have 4 different openings, and they stayed open all the time.Unlike regular Mustang GTs, that car sounded awesome.
So i dont know how its going to be with your car as you have the Turbo 4 Cyl. But for the GTS with the 4.0, theres no pops or bangs anywhere in any mode. I only get them now because i installed Over Axel Pipes with no OPF on them, and you only hear pops and burbles with valves open at high RPMs.
As far as high idling goes, i think its higher in Sport and Sport+ but its the same in Sport and Sport+ if that makes sense. So Sport+ isnt a higher idle than Sport.

Throttle response seems to actually only change in Sport. Power delivery feels the same in Normal and Sport+ the difference is in how aggressive the PDK programming is. Sport, the Throttle response seems more sensitive and the PDK programming is like a step above Normal but below Sport+.

As far as the valves opening, If you tap the button, they open between 1000-3000 RPM and then close till you get to about 4500 RPM. Only with a valve controller can you force the valves open at all RPMs which i think i want to do. And yes only two settings, open or closed. Theres no half open.

Quick Reply: Its Finally Here! 2024 Boxster GTS 4.0!