Sponsored by:

Its Finally Here! 2024 Boxster GTS 4.0!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2024, 06:49 PM
718socal
Rennlist Member

Received 531 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by s182
My understanding is that the coding cannot still get you top up and top down control via the key. Is it possible to recode and have key control of putting top up as well as down? Is it also possible to recode to get to one-press of the interior control for putting top up or down? Forgot how much I had gotten used to one-touch in my 981 until I've had my BGTS for a few weeks now.

Also, the SmartTop was really not much at all to install in my 981. Had it for over 10 years before selling it a few months back and no issues at all.
This has been answered many times. Go to the PIWIS coding thread
Old 08-26-2024, 03:43 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

Received 1,545 Likes on 861 Posts

Ah thats my bad, for some reason i thought they were connected. It seemed like people werent able to access the GEM menu and thats where a lot of the options are changed or turned on so i made the assumption they were connected. Will prob try to find someone local to do the PIWIS programming for me then.
Old 08-26-2024, 03:48 PM
Angus725
Intermediate

Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Xxyion
Ah thats my bad, for some reason i thought they were connected. It seemed like people werent able to access the GEM menu and thats where a lot of the options are changed or turned on so i made the assumption they were connected. Will prob try to find someone local to do the PIWIS programming for me then.
Let me know if you do, would be nice to open/close the roof with the key.
The following users liked this post:
Xxyion (08-26-2024)
Old 08-26-2024, 04:06 PM
718socal
Rennlist Member

Received 531 Likes on 326 Posts

There are a few members with PIWIS in your area. Good luck
Old 08-30-2024, 04:01 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

You know one thing i found interesting. So i had the GT4 before which has the PDK-S and now i have the GTS with the standard PDK. I remember a few threads ago someone was talking about how with the standard PDK, when you lift off the brake pedal, the car will creep forward, but with the PDK-S the car will sit there as if you are in Neutral in a manual car.

Well i thought this would mean that my GTS would act like my wife's VW GLI and as soon as i lift off the brake the car would start moving as fast as 5 mph. To my surprise this was not the case at all. The car actually barely moves. if anything the creep forward is at most 1mph maybe 2, but it feels almost like the car is in neutral and just moving forward due to a slight decline. Was a very nice surprise.

Question however for you all with a GTS and lower trims. What drive mode do you find yourself driving in the most? Normal was a nice surprise as it was not nearly as subdued as i thought it would be and basically just feels like a slightly more subdued version of the GT4 with PDK Sport turned off. I did try Sport mode (havnt touched Sport + yet) and Sport mode seemed like the GT4 in "normal' mode but with the PDK shift logic being just a tad more aggressive. it might end up being my default drive mode.
Kram71 (08-30-2024)
Old 08-30-2024, 06:21 PM
TubaFreak
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

You know one thing i found interesting. So i had the GT4 before which has the PDK-S and now i have the GTS with the standard PDK. I remember a few threads ago someone was talking about how with the standard PDK, when you lift off the brake pedal, the car will creep forward, but with the PDK-S the car will sit there as if you are in Neutral in a manual car.

Well i thought this would mean that my GTS would act like my wife's VW GLI and as soon as i lift off the brake the car would start moving as fast as 5 mph. To my surprise this was not the case at all. The car actually barely moves. if anything the creep forward is at most 1mph maybe 2, but it feels almost like the car is in neutral and just moving forward due to a slight decline. Was a very nice surprise.

Question however for you all with a GTS and lower trims. What drive mode do you find yourself driving in the most? Normal was a nice surprise as it was not nearly as subdued as i thought it would be and basically just feels like a slightly more subdued version of the GT4 with PDK Sport turned off. I did try Sport mode (havnt touched Sport + yet) and Sport mode seemed like the GT4 in "normal' mode but with the PDK shift logic being just a tad more aggressive. it might end up being my default drive mode.
BGTS 4.0 here. Depends on the situation. If I'm alone, I start in Normal until the engine warms up and things loosen up. I have a manual so the different modes also change the motor and transmission mounts (not sure if it does for PDK). On cold startup, the stiffer mounts really make it annoying to change gears until everything warms up. It almost makes me feel like I forgot how to drive stick with how stiff everything is when cold lol. After the car warms up I change it to my Individual setting. If my GF is with me, it'll be Normal almost all the time unless traffic opens up and we can have some fun. I know I've said this elsewhere already but I found Sport to be too touchy of a throttle, and prefer Sport+ for it's completely linear, almost cable-driven feel. I definitely recommend playing with the Individual settings once you get a feel for each one.
The following 3 users liked this post by TubaFreak:
fasteddie99 (09-01-2024), Kram71 (08-30-2024), Xxyion (08-30-2024)
Old 08-30-2024, 08:57 PM
718GTS4L
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

i got the CGTS with PDK. it is way different from the cayenne S (NA V8).

normal mode in the CGTS would hold gears longer and is more willing to downshift. feels like the the cayenne on sport mode.

i'm fine with leaving it normal mode (auto start stop off) for regular driving. PDK will downshift quick enough if i need more power.

Last edited by 718GTS4L; 08-30-2024 at 08:59 PM.
Old 09-01-2024, 01:26 AM
Xxyion
Drifting

Yeah Normal has been great and has been a lot closer to the "Normal" mode in the GT4 which has been great. I HAVE noticed though that the shift speed in the PDK needs much more throttle input than the GT4 did in order for it to shift quick. The GT4 would be lightning fast even at 1/4 throttle. I find i need to be at least 1/2 in the GTS in Sport + in order for the PDK to shift quickly. Not a huge deal.
Old 09-01-2024, 08:58 AM
silverscooby27
Instructor

Received 121 Likes on 63 Posts

Congratulations! Beautiful car. I have a question out of curiosity. It seems like you are always comparing the GT4 to the new car, and it seems like you usually favor the GT4 and like the more aggressive type car better. Had you considered buying a CPO GT4 instead of a new GTs? Maybe it’s in another thread and I missed it. I wanted a GT4 but never ordered one before they were discontinued. I was really bummed and had an order for a cayman GTS in, but then a CPO GT4 with 230 miles on it and a PTS color came up out of the blue so I cancelled my GTS order and went with that GT4 because that’s what I really wanted. I just never thought a good car would ever show up again.
Old 09-03-2024, 02:14 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

Originally Posted by silverscooby27
Congratulations! Beautiful car. I have a question out of curiosity. It seems like you are always comparing the GT4 to the new car, and it seems like you usually favor the GT4 and like the more aggressive type car better. Had you considered buying a CPO GT4 instead of a new GTs? Maybe it’s in another thread and I missed it. I wanted a GT4 but never ordered one before they were discontinued. I was really bummed and had an order for a cayman GTS in, but then a CPO GT4 with 230 miles on it and a PTS color came up out of the blue so I cancelled my GTS order and went with that GT4 because that’s what I really wanted. I just never thought a good car would ever show up again.
I did touch on it in other threads but not specifically this one.

I did not consider another GT4 specifically because i'd be buying used. I'm VERY picky about my spec. I basically only wanted Python Green or some sort of PTS green. It HAD to be PDK as for medical reasons i cannot drive manual anymore. Needed bucket seats, and all leather interior with interior painted the exterior color. And while that last option i was willing to let slide with the proper build, the proper build had only ever showed up once and it was 4 months before i was in a financial position to buy again. So unfortunetly that car was sold. It was a gorgeous Forrest Green with Satin Arum Wheels selling for 125k. MSRP for that car was about 122k. I would have jumped on that in a heartbeat.

However all other examples have missed key options (has buckets but its a manual, or is PDK but no buckets etc.) AND the price of the car is far beyond the MSRP and paying essentially ADM for a car that i didnt get to take delivery of new just doesnt sit right with me. I paid 20k ADM for my GT4 and while i'd do it again, i would ONLY do it for a brand new car. If i look on car gurus.com right now the only Python green cars available are all a good 15-20k over MSRP and they are all the wrong configuration that i'm looking for. I just cant pay that much money unless it's for EXACTLY what i want.

And so thats why i decided to go with a BGTS. its a different car with a different experience (top down vs coupe), but i also was offered the allocation at MSRP so i'd be saving some money (which in turn i'm spending on mods) and i got to spec it exactly how i wanted it with zero compromises.

Do i regret not getting another GT4? I dont actually. And honestly as this would be my only car i actually prefer the GTS. I think it's a superior daily driver and i'm very happy with my choice. Plus i got things like the Burmester and the PDLS which were not on my GT4 so i'm enjoying the car in different ways. While i do always tend to lean towards being more racecar, i do also understand the practicality need and so for now the GTS is the perfect car for me at this time.

However i do think the GT4 is the perfect sports car. Its not the greatest daily, but it is the best sports car i've ever owned and driven and i'm really happy i was able to own one for 7 months.
The following 2 users liked this post by Xxyion:
silverscooby27 (09-06-2024), Victory911 (09-03-2024)
Old 09-03-2024, 03:15 PM
andy7777
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 156 Posts

Beautiful. My suggestion is to swap out the standard PDK shifter for the RS shifter. It's a little lower and more comfortable to hold. You can use the manual function to change gears like a very fast sequential shifter. Plus it looks better. I did that to my BS and enjoy it every time I get in the car.
Xxyion (09-03-2024)
Old 09-03-2024, 03:15 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

Originally Posted by andy7777
Beautiful. My suggestion is to swap out the standard PDK shifter for the RS shifter. It's a little lower and more comfortable to hold. You can use the manual function to change gears like a very fast sequential shifter. Plus it looks better. I did that to my BS and enjoy it every time I get in the car.
that is definetly the plan!
Old 09-03-2024, 03:49 PM
JCtx
Three Wheelin'

Received 188 Likes on 137 Posts

I've also been attracted to the sport side of cars even at my older age, but it's just not practical. And I'm 20+ years your senior. Ha ha. I also like to enjoy the car with somebody else (in my case, my wife), and she just can't stand a hard suspension anymore. Plus I live far from any twisty mountain road, so an all-out sports car makes no sense for me, since they're uncomfortable to travel. So in a way, I was happy SPASM wasn't available on the base, or I'd have probably ordered it. PASM should be perfectly acceptable, especially since I ordered every driver's car sport option available (6MT, 20s, sport chrono, PTV, etc), plus almost every luxury option available, including Burmester, leather everywhere, power seats, memory, power steering column, Alcantara roofliner/visors, LEDs, etc. And compromised with 14-ways (vs 18s). So it basically should be a relatively comfortable luxury sports car. The best compromise between the 2 competing sides, but more towards the sport one, rather than the GT one, since driving enjoyment was my #1 goal, and a large and heavy GT car just doesn't do it for me... and most are autos anyway. And yes, a proper weighted shift **** is on the way, to complete the driver's car side of things. Also considered a pristine CPO, to save money, but no way I'd ever find somebody else crazy enough to option a base car to the gills, and in the color combination I wanted (chalk/black leather interior, and GT silver). I know I'd lose my a$$ if I have to sell it, but hope I can enjoy it for many years. This is my first and last car I special order. I was going to go PDK, so others in my household could drive it, but they all insisted to get it the way I really want it (manual)... so I obliged. Hopefully one of my daughters want to learn to drive stick, so they can keep it after I crap out...because I plan to keep this thing until my end. Just hope it turns out reliable.

Last edited by JCtx; 09-03-2024 at 03:59 PM.
fasteddie99 (09-04-2024)
Old 09-03-2024, 06:14 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

Originally Posted by JCtx
I've also been attracted to the sport side of cars even at my older age, but it's just not practical. And I'm 20+ years your senior. Ha ha. I also like to enjoy the car with somebody else (in my case, my wife), and she just can't stand a hard suspension anymore. Plus I live far from any twisty mountain road, so an all-out sports car makes no sense for me, since they're uncomfortable to travel. So in a way, I was happy SPASM wasn't available on the base, or I'd have probably ordered it. PASM should be perfectly acceptable, especially since I ordered every driver's car sport option available (6MT, 20s, sport chrono, PTV, etc), plus almost every luxury option available, including Burmester, leather everywhere, power seats, memory, power steering column, Alcantara roofliner/visors, LEDs, etc. And compromised with 14-ways (vs 18s). So it basically should be a relatively comfortable luxury sports car. The best compromise between the 2 competing sides, but more towards the sport one, rather than the GT one, since driving enjoyment was my #1 goal, and a large and heavy GT car just doesn't do it for me... and most are autos anyway. And yes, a proper weighted shift **** is on the way, to complete the driver's car side of things. Also considered a pristine CPO, to save money, but no way I'd ever find somebody else crazy enough to option a base car to the gills, and in the color combination I wanted (chalk/black leather interior, and GT silver). I know I'd lose my a$$ if I have to sell it, but hope I can enjoy it for many years. This is my first and last car I special order. I was going to go PDK, so others in my household could drive it, but they all insisted to get it the way I really want it (manual)... so I obliged. Hopefully one of my daughters want to learn to drive stick, so they can keep it after I crap out...because I plan to keep this thing until my end. Just hope it turns out reliable.
It should be. Even the most reliable cars have their fair share of lemons. But you did end up choosing the Burmester! Nice! Ive been in love with the sound system, i think its a fantastic addition and i'm glad i spent the money on it. I'm hoping this will be a long term car as well. I cant imagine another more perfect car to daily drive around. Ideally i'd want to keep this as my forever daily and then just periodically switch out a fun weekend car.
Kram71 (09-03-2024)
Old 09-03-2024, 06:18 PM
Kram71
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

It should be. Even the most reliable cars have their fair share of lemons. But you did end up choosing the Burmester! Nice! Ive been in love with the sound system, i think its a fantastic addition and i'm glad i spent the money on it. I'm hoping this will be a long term car as well. I cant imagine another more perfect car to daily drive around. Ideally i'd want to keep this as my forever daily and then just periodically switch out a fun weekend car.
LOL its been over a week. You still sound excited

Quick Reply: Its Finally Here! 2024 Boxster GTS 4.0!