718 Forum 982 (718) 2016-Current Discussions about 718 Boxster Cayman Variants
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CF Shifter inlay is loose and driving me crazy

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2024 | 02:06 PM
boxdriver
Racer

Clean off the tape and attach it with a dab of silicon adhesive. Tape it down with painters' tape for a day and it will be good.
I like the looks of your carbon fiber shifter, but I wish the factory ones were a little heavier. I do like the look of @Soareyes 's shifter. That might be going on my Christmas list!
Old 08-19-2024 | 02:14 PM
Kram71
Racer

I saw somebody with a similar problem with a 911 shift ****. They pulled the metal/plastic off and glued it back in the video.
Old 08-19-2024 | 02:42 PM
doug_999
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by boxdriver
Clean off the tape and attach it with a dab of silicon adhesive. Tape it down with painters' tape for a day and it will be good.
I like the looks of your carbon fiber shifter, but I wish the factory ones were a little heavier. I do like the look of @Soareyes 's shifter. That might be going on my Christmas list!
Maybe this?
Amazon Amazon
Old 08-19-2024 | 02:57 PM
JCtx
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by doug_999
The SS stuff looks good but...the options are so numerous, I have no idea how to spec it..
The trickiest part is the weight, but the video below might help you with that. I went with medium+ weight (the 2nd heaviest). The 'coin' is the top part with the shift pattern. You could get the exact Porsche shift pattern if you wanted to, but you'd have to pay for the 'custom' engraving. Roy told me it's quite involved, since it has rounded edges. Their regular (straight -not slanted) pattern is good enough for me, so I went with that. You can specify different colors for the 'coin', and the 'shaft'. I went with 'silvergray' on both (like on the video), which matches the shifter plaque (718, 911, Carrera, etc), but you can go with black on one or both parts. I also went with smooth nappa black leather, to match my OEM ****. Hope this helps.

Last edited by JCtx; 08-19-2024 at 03:01 PM.
Old 08-19-2024 | 03:35 PM
boxdriver
Racer

Originally Posted by doug_999
I would use something like this:
Amazon.com: Permatex 80050 Clear RTV Silicone Adhesive Sealant, 3 oz : Industrial & Scientific Amazon.com: Permatex 80050 Clear RTV Silicone Adhesive Sealant, 3 oz : Industrial & Scientific
Silicone stays flexible so you won't have issues with it popping loose when the plastic shrinks and expands with the weather. Any brand clear silicone will be fine. You can find it at your local home store, Walmart, or auto parts store, or order it from Amazon.

Quick Reply: CF Shifter inlay is loose and driving me crazy