718 Forum 982 (718) 2016-Current Discussions about 718 Boxster Cayman Variants
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CF Shifter inlay is loose and driving me crazy

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2024 | 05:24 PM
TubaFreak
Instructor

For what it's worth, I got the brushed aluminum option (it was free on the GTS, matches the brushed aluminum trim I got in the rest of the car, and changes the leather color to match the rest of the leather. Win-Win-Win!) but the pattern inlay also slides around a bit. As mentioned above, it certainly doesn't feel weighted. I imagine it's a thin layer of metal.
Old 08-16-2024 | 09:47 AM
Chrismalberts
Instructor

My 718 T "metal" part of the shift **** was slightly loose and I could move it a tiny amount with my thumb. I'm actually planning to get a (heavier) Function First shifter, but as the T has the "special" red inlay and is 900$ from Suncoast I thought I'd see if I could get it replaced under B2B warranty. Surprisingly they did replace it. The interesting thing is that the entire shift action feels notably better so I wonder if there was damage to the plastic inside the **** also. Got a new shift boot too, which was nice, because there was a scuff on mine from the PO. Winning! I plan to buy a yellow stitched ****/boot, remove the **** and then use the FF aluminum **** with yellow inlay. I'll keep the brand new T shifter in a box somewhere or sell it.
Old 08-16-2024 | 02:34 PM
Banana S
Rennlist Member

The silver part of the CF shifter is just held on with double-sided tape. That's it. Buy some 3M emblem adhesive tape at your local auto parts store and just re-affix it. Done.

Or do what I did, which was to paint the silver part black, then fill in the pattern and numbers with a white grease pencil, paint the entire silver (now black) part with clearcoat, and you'll have a shifter identical to a 911R shifter for 1/25th of the price.
The following users liked this post:
j lok (08-16-2024)
Old 08-16-2024 | 04:04 PM
JCtx
Three Wheelin'

Hey guys, I couldn't find a freaking video of how to remove the shift boot from the ****. All of them conveniently skipped that part. I'm going to get an SS ****, and will have to reuse the stock leather boot. I don't want to ruin anything, so if anybody have a link to a detailed video on how to remove the pesky boot, please post it. Or at least tell us how exactly it's secured, to try to avoid breaking anything. Thank you. Finally, I'm hoping the GT3 **** will be enough of an improvement to avoid installing the GT4 (shorter) shifter, especially if it's just a shorter rod, like many say it is (no internal improvements). The GT3 **** should shorten the height almost as much as the GT4 shifter with stock ****, so that should do the trick. Still debating between medium and medium+ weight, but will make up my mind today, since lead time is at least 8 weeks now. Thank you.
Old 08-16-2024 | 05:47 PM
Soareyes
6th Gear

"Hey guys, I couldn't find a freaking video of how to remove the shift boot from the ****. All of them conveniently skipped that part."

Try this video.

I replaced my stock shift **** with a medium weight GT1 **** from Sportshifters two days ago. The only difficulty was trying to get the original **** off the post. The videos all show, "Just twist and pull" but after twisting I did not have enough strength to budge the old one. After more review of the forums I put a piece of non-scratchy wood along the side of the console to act as a fulcrum then used a long handled tool beneath the **** to lever it off.

The Sportshifter **** is a work of art, super high quality workmanship. Like a new iPhone the surfaces just feel good to touch. I like that it sits a little lower, around a half inch or so shorter. And it has made a noticeable difference in the feel of the shifting. The shift action feels tighter, more mechanical, more solid. I think the old stock plastic shift **** must flex a little bit and the new metal one doesn't. Or maybe it is all in my head, but whatever, I like it.

It took two full months from first order to delivery. It doesn't matter but turns out they are shipped from Germany. Perhaps there will be a customs bill coming soon.

Last edited by Soareyes; 08-16-2024 at 10:33 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Soareyes:
Chrismalberts (08-17-2024), fantôme (08-23-2024)
Old 08-16-2024 | 06:16 PM
boxdriver
Racer

There are 4 tabs that hold the **** onto the boot. Just push those tabs inward with a skinny screwdriver and work them off the boot one by one. Keep a little pressure pulling the know away from the boot so as you work one off the ledge, it stays off while you work the next one. There are two rows that they catch on, so you have to do it a couple of times. Here is a photo to show the tabs. Mine is missing one of the tabs. If you aren't ever going to use your **** again, you don't have to be gentle with the tabs.

Old 08-16-2024 | 06:21 PM
boxdriver
Racer

@Soareyes Is the black part of your **** leather, plastic, or metal? It looks nice, but I want the main part to be leather. I added weight to my factory ****, but I only had room to get it from 85 grams to 160 grams.
Old 08-16-2024 | 10:47 PM
Soareyes
6th Gear

The black part is leather.

Adding more information in response to some questions in a PM:

The new GT1 **** is a tiny bit smaller in diameter than the stock **** but only by 1-2mm.
The old stock **** weighed 86 grams. The medium weight one I got from Sportshifters weighed 245 grams. It didn't feel heavy. I don't think I would want any lighter. In the video posted earlier the guy tried multiple weights and preferred the heaviest one.
Getting the old **** off the boot takes some patience fiddling with the tabs. Then there are two other plastic rings at the top of the boot that come out easily.
The new **** comes with a metal ring. The ring goes on the shifter post first, then the boot, then the ****. The top of the boot is clamped and held in place between the ring and the ****. Getting the height of the ring just right took some trial and error.
Old 08-17-2024 | 03:09 AM
JCtx
Three Wheelin'

Thank you very much for the info guys. I just ordered an all-silver GT3 in medium+ weight, smooth black leather, with no extra stitching, no shift pattern paint. It's only 2mm wider and 2mm taller than the GT1, so should be perfect. And I was debating if I got the GT4 shifter because it was 7/8" lower, and I liked the height of the stock shifter. But also wanted a slightly shorter throw with more mechanical (snick, snick) feel. And seems like this **** should be the best compromise of both: 1/2" lower, and much nicer shifting action than stock (even with a GT4 shifter). Plus saved 400 bucks in the process. Ha ha. Also happy I don't have to mess with the center console on a brand new car to change the shifter, which reportedly is the same thing as stock, but with a shorter rod. Hope to get it before my car arrives (8 weeks of production + shipping).

Last edited by JCtx; 08-17-2024 at 03:11 AM.
fantôme (08-23-2024)
Old 08-17-2024 | 12:25 PM
doug_999
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JCtx
Just order an aftermarket SS, and problem solved... and no dealer visit. Ha ha. I decided on the SS GT3 version with black smooth leather, silver brush finish top and bottom, no 2nd stitching, no shift-pattern painted, and medium+ weight, for the most OEM look. That should give me the best tactile shifting, according to Roy, who was extremely helpful, and is very knowledgeable. But he's like 2 months behind, so will order mine now, and hope it arrives on time. By the way, he said the GT3 is better for larger hands (L, XL glove size), and the GT1 for smaller hands. And that the larger weight is for more tactile feel, but for very quick shifting (track), less weight is better, hence the 'race' version. Hope that helps others.
Link?
Old 08-17-2024 | 01:54 PM
JCtx
Three Wheelin'

Here's the link to all Porsche *****; just scroll down: https://sportshifters.com/collections/porsche. I ordered it yesterday, since it'll take at least 8 weeks to produce, plus shipping. Both the car and **** should arrive pretty close to each other. I was between the GT1 (pictured above) and GT3, but ordered the GT3, which is 2mm wider and 2mm longer than the GT1; it should be perfect for me. Hope this helps.
fantôme (08-23-2024)
Old 08-17-2024 | 05:07 PM
Chrismalberts
Instructor

Originally Posted by Soareyes
The Sportshifter **** is a work of art, super high quality workmanship. Like a new iPhone the surfaces just feel good to touch. I like that it sits a little lower, around a half inch or so shorter. And it has made a noticeable difference in the feel of the shifting. The shift action feels tighter, more mechanical, more solid. I think the old stock plastic shift **** must flex a little bit and the new metal one doesn't. Or maybe it is all in my head, but whatever, I like it.
You are definitely not imagining it. There is flex in plastic that aluminum/steel does not have. My other car is a GTI Mk 7.5 autobahn, and I recently put a Raceseng shifter in. It's shorter, stouter and much heavier than stock and it's made a huge difference. Spouse even loves it, though the shift is extremely short because I also have a "euro oem" GTI shorter shift under the hood.

I like the Sportshifter a lot and am reconsidering the FF.
Old 08-19-2024 | 12:39 PM
doug_999
Rennlist Member

Default Score!

Got loose enough that I was able to pull it up. Now I just need to figure out the best way to glue it down. Hot glue?

Old 08-19-2024 | 01:16 PM
JCtx
Three Wheelin'

Man, what a cheap-a$$ ****. You might make a mess, so I'd attempt using industrial (3M) double-sided tape first. But of course remove the one it has first. Hopefully it won't be too thick. If that doesn't work, then yes, some kind of hot glue or cement would be needed. But any residue, even if cleaned, could damage the finish, so you'd have to be super careful with the amount. And if you put too little, then it'd get loose again. I'd seriously order one of the SS *****. Your car will shift much nicer too. I placed an order for mine over the weekend (9-10 week lead time). Another option is to let a dealer deal with that, and you'd get a new one if they mess up. But I'd just take the **** to them, not the car. Good luck.
Old 08-19-2024 | 01:32 PM
doug_999
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JCtx
Man, what a cheap-a$$ ****. You might make a mess, so I'd attempt using industrial (3M) double-sided tape first. But of course remove the one it has first. Hopefully it won't be too thick. If that doesn't work, then yes, some kind of hot glue or cement would be needed. But any residue, even if cleaned, could damage the finish, so you'd have to be super careful with the amount. And if you put too little, then it'd get loose again. I'd seriously order one of the SS *****. Your car will shift much nicer too. I placed an order for mine over the weekend (9-10 week lead time). Another option is to let a dealer deal with that, and you'd get a new one if they mess up. But I'd just take the **** to them, not the car. Good luck.
1. Cheap a$$ - TOTALLY AGREE!
2. 3M Double-Sided tape - my first thought - but I'm positive it will be too thick.
3. The SS stuff looks good but...the options are so numerous, I have no idea how to spec it...
a) Color and finish top coin - is that just the top metal piece? Should you just match that to the Rod?
b) what do you pick for the upholstery core?
c) color shift patter? What that ....?
d) Weight? How do I know what weight?

I wish their were samples. I hate to order this and then get something that looks like this

Quick Reply: CF Shifter inlay is loose and driving me crazy