Sponsored by:

Wireless Carplay / Navigation

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2024, 12:28 PM
aventius
AutoX

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Wireless Carplay / Navigation

I know the 718 without nav only has wired carplay. I have one and have achieved decent success with the ottocast unit to get wireless carplay.

I'm looking to get another 718 and custom order it (i have an October build allocation). Dealer has ignored my question - does the 718 with nav come with Wireless Carplay?

if you're using carplay for everything, $2300 seems to be quite the charge to get wireless carplay when ottocast was $80 but I do have connections issues every once in awhile. Then again, I have connections issues in my cadillac with native wireless every once in awhile too.

I just seem to go back and forth on whether or not to get the nav and would to hear some opinion.
Old 07-17-2024, 12:34 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,916 Likes on 2,216 Posts

There is no wireless CarPlay in the 718s regardless of Navigation
The following users liked this post:
Mike981S (07-17-2024)
Old 07-17-2024, 12:40 PM
aventius
AutoX

Thanks. You just saved me $2300. Appreciate it.

Now to waste those savings on other options!!!

Last edited by aventius; 07-17-2024 at 12:49 PM.
TXshaggy (07-17-2024)
Old 07-17-2024, 01:56 PM
JCtx
Three Wheelin'

Received 202 Likes on 149 Posts

And in case you didn't know, now you have to pay extra for a subscription to have navigation (I think 1 yr is included), so that alone was a hard NO for me. And yes, full leather was a much better use for that money. Ha ha. By the way, where is the USB for CarPlay? And is it a USB-A or USB-C on a '24? Hopefully the latter, because all of my cables are USB-C, but if it's an A, I'd have to buy a charging/data cable. Thank you.

Last edited by JCtx; 07-17-2024 at 01:57 PM.
Old 07-17-2024, 02:05 PM
aventius
AutoX

It's USB-A on the 2024. It's in the center console for carplay*. There's another USB-A in the glovebox but that only works as a music storage device with the PCM, not as a plugin with carplay. Both will charge your phone.

I have the Ottocast U2AIR Pro Wireless CarPlay Adapter and it's been fairly great. Every once in awhile it's gets confused on startup but CTRL-ALT-DELETE of shutting the car down and restarting always fixes it.

(*I don't know about Android Auto, I'm an iPhone only guy)
Mike981S (07-17-2024)
Old 07-17-2024, 02:08 PM
aventius
AutoX

My wife has a 12 (lightning) and I have a 15 (usb-c) so i found these to be a good setup for the glove box USB-A spot for when we want to charge our phones.

Amazon Amazon

Old 07-17-2024, 03:30 PM
JCtx
Three Wheelin'

Thank you guys. I have a 15 ProMax, so it's USB-C. One more question: Does my (large) phone fit inside the center console? That's where I like to keep my phone charging, so hopefully that's the case on this car too. Otherwise, it'll be a 'problem'. Ha ha. At least when I need nav, since I'd have to use CarPlay on this car (I always use factory nav when traveling). It'll be an adjustment, but should be fine. I might leave it in CarPlay all the time, if I can use XM from the radio. If not, then I'd only use CarPlay when I need nav, which shouldn't be that often. Also need to know how long I need a cable, depending if my phone fits inside the tiny center console or not. Hopefully somebody has an iPhone 15 ProMax, but any prior 'Max' phone is about the same size. Oh, so I can put my music USB-A stick on the glove box USB port? Thanks.

Last edited by JCtx; 07-17-2024 at 03:32 PM.
Old 07-17-2024, 03:57 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,916 Likes on 2,216 Posts

I have a couple foot charging cable and I slide my iPhone Pro Max into the passenger net.

This is easiest for me. Don’t know if it’ll fit, but little bit of a contortionist move to put it in the center console so I don’t try that anymore.
Old 07-17-2024, 04:13 PM
OKCabriolet
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by JCtx
And in case you didn't know, now you have to pay extra for a subscription to have navigation (I think 1 yr is included), so that alone was a hard NO for me. And yes, full leather was a much better use for that money. Ha ha. By the way, where is the USB for CarPlay? And is it a USB-A or USB-C on a '24? Hopefully the latter, because all of my cables are USB-C, but if it's an A, I'd have to buy a charging/data cable. Thank you.

For clarifications it's a subscription for updates.
Mike981S (07-17-2024)
Old 07-17-2024, 04:29 PM
aventius
AutoX

not sure if the larger iPhone fits but my normal size fits. I think the larger one would fit. Barely.

you can get the Ottocast wireless CarPlay adapter and then put your pro iPhone in the glovebox and charge it there. I just verified that. It worked.

Thank you guys. I have a 15 ProMax, so it's USB-C. One more question: Does my (large) phone fit inside the center console? That's where I like to keep my phone charging, so hopefully that's the case on this car too. Otherwise, it'll be a 'problem'. Ha ha. At least when I need nav, since I'd have to use CarPlay on this car (I always use factory nav when traveling). It'll be an adjustment, but should be fine. I might leave it in CarPlay all the time, if I can use XM from the radio. If not, then I'd only use CarPlay when I need nav, which shouldn't be that often. Also need to know how long I need a cable, depending if my phone fits inside the tiny center console or not. Hopefully somebody has an iPhone 15 ProMax, but any prior 'Max' phone is about the same size. Oh, so I can put my music USB-A stick on the glove box USB port? Thanks.

The following 2 users liked this post by aventius:
24VR604 (07-18-2024), Mike981S (07-17-2024)
Old 07-17-2024, 04:54 PM
JCtx
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
I have a couple foot charging cable and I slide my iPhone Pro Max into the passenger net.
Thank you very much for that excellent tip. I'll probably do the same thing. Just checked, and my car will have that net (part of the premium package). So a 2' long cable is enough? I just found a 3' one, so I could use that one in the mean time. So what's the deal with the glove box USB-A port: Does it work for a USB-A music stick? Hope so. I'd use it for my wife on a trip (if she ever wants to use my car for that. Ha ha), but would leave a music USB stick most of the time. Thank you.

Originally Posted by OKCabriolet
For clarifications it's a subscription for updates.
Well, unless an actual owner past the 1st 'free' year chimes in (on a '23+), it sure doesn't look that way to me: https://connect-store.porsche.com/us...model=718_2018 . Several folks reported this being the case on another forum I don't visit anymore. I wouldn't be totally surprised if that's wrong, but will wait for more input. Please let us know if you know for a fact the info I posted is wrong, for other future owners to take that into account. But even if true, I still don't regret not getting nav, since I hardly ever use it, and it'd be obsolete (without paying) quite soon. Heck, all my current vehicles are kind of obsolete already, even with current maps.

Last edited by JCtx; 07-17-2024 at 05:02 PM.
Old 07-17-2024, 05:41 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

Received 1,549 Likes on 863 Posts

iPhone Max will fit in the center console. I always buy the biggest version of whatever phone company i decide to run with each year and i had an iPhone 13 Pro Max when i had my GT4 and it fit in the center armrest no problem.

If you want a wireless solution i recommend the Carlinkit 5.0 if you're using CarPlay. You can keep that in the center armrest and then your phone will connect to it automatically.
Old 07-17-2024, 06:14 PM
JCtx
Three Wheelin'

Thank you for that info. If the phone fits in the center console, I rather do that, than having wires dangling about. Ha ha. Thank you. I have a very short USB-A to USB-C cable that hope it works. I almost always connect the phone to charge when in the car, so I don't mind that CarPlay is wired, since it'll be hooked all the time anyway. If the data port was in a different place, then I'd for sure consider that. But glad the center console port is the data one, and that my large phone fits in there. I always put it in the center console, so prefer to keep that 'tradition'. Ha ha. Thanks again for the help.
The last thing I want to know is if the glove box USB-A port is good to read a music stick, or it's just strictly for charging. Or just for storing music from a CD, or something (it still has one, right? Ha ha). Thank you.
JC

Last edited by JCtx; 07-17-2024 at 06:16 PM.
Old 07-17-2024, 06:17 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Received 161 Likes on 82 Posts

I got a Carlink Kit 5.0 wireless for my 2020 GT4. Works great.

I can't imagine in 2024 who would pay for a Porsche Navigation system when everyone's phone has one installed for free. Makes no sense they would try to charge for such nonsense.
Old 07-17-2024, 09:50 PM
JCtx
Three Wheelin'

You know, we're lucky to have CarPlay (and AA) now, because some automakers are getting rid of that feature, in favor of their own system. And THAT would suck. At least we have CP/AA now, and with better navigation. But when you're forced to either buy the automaker's crap 'connected service', or end up not having nav, or use of your phone, the decision will be a lot harder. Ha ha.
TubaFreak (07-18-2024)

Quick Reply: Wireless Carplay / Navigation