Notices
718 Forum 982 (718) 2016-Current Discussions about 718 Boxster Cayman Variants
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PDK drain and fill without PIWIS - long term safe practice?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2024, 01:11 PM
coneinaporsche
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PDK drain and fill without PIWIS - long term safe practice?

I have had 4L of OEM PDK fluid and all associated drain plugs in my garage for 3 months but haven't gone through with a PDK service out of a bit of fear around this very expensive component. I don't have PIWIS, and have read in many different places (including the gentleman in the Youtube video below who seems to have applied quite a bit of scientific rigor to his conclusion that his method is safe) that you can drain and fill the clutch fluid without incident simply by draining, refilling to the hole, running the car until the return pipe feels warm to the touch, and topping off.

Rennlist braintrust - has this method for PDK basic service proven to be safe long term? I want the ability to change fluid pretty frequently (annually likely) given I autocross and do track days. I appreciate all learned opinions here!

Reference Materials:
https://www.planet-9.com/threads/diy...change.183810/
Old 06-19-2024, 07:44 PM
Josh_357
Racer

Received 359 Likes on 184 Posts

What I have done in the past on a car that I know has not had any leaks is to measure what came out and put exactly that back in. I drain directly into this
Amazon Amazon
. Now I have a PIWIS to triple check.
Old 06-19-2024, 08:50 PM
KINGHURL
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 37 Posts

Having JUST had mine done today, by Adam Gill (formerly of Vollig) I know the process is involved and required some calibration afterwards. He indicated that the temperature at fill is important as well especially if you're tracking. Just know there is some reason to do the calibration and pay attention to fill level, so beware.
Old 06-19-2024, 10:33 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,916 Likes on 2,216 Posts

PDK self-service? Nope.

Unless tracking it’s not a frequent service, let the experts do it.

OPC only for me.
Old 06-20-2024, 02:25 PM
coneinaporsche
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
PDK self-service? Nope.

Unless tracking it’s not a frequent service, let the experts do it.

OPC only for me.
Even if I do it every 10k miles or so that's 2-3 years for me. I think I might just take the fluid I already have to the local Euro indie and have them do it with PIWIS. I'm just generally unhappy having other people work on my cars and think "it's just a fluid change, why would I pay someone to do it?".
The following users liked this post:
TXshaggy (06-20-2024)
Old 06-20-2024, 02:50 PM
bswift
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by coneinaporsche
Even if I do it every 10k miles or so that's 2-3 years for me. I think I might just take the fluid I already have to the local Euro indie and have them do it with PIWIS. I'm just generally unhappy having other people work on my cars and think "it's just a fluid change, why would I pay someone to do it?".
Buy a
Launch x431 Launch x431
. $372 and you can use PDK fill mode along with an array of other PIWIS service functions. It sounds like you'll be doing a lot of service on your own and this will definitely come in handy.

When I did my first PDK service a couple weekends ago I wanted to compare both methods and got everything right without fill mode, but the ability to double check with fill mode gave me peace of mind.
Old 06-21-2024, 01:39 AM
Scrounger
Instructor

Received 138 Likes on 62 Posts

PDK service interval is 120000 miles or 12 years. Why do it sooner unless you track the car?
Old 07-08-2024, 11:30 PM
zoiks
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

There is a thread in the 991.1 section that also has a good summary of how to change the PDK fluid. I’ve seen the YouTube videos from a few folks that say you don’t need the electronic tool to put the PDK transmission in the fill mode and within the correct temperature window. The argument seems reasonable if you put in exactly what you take out all SHOULD be fine. I worked with the starter of the 991.1 thread as I prepared to change my fluids. I bought the electronic tool listed below per what the previous person recommended since I felt like I was saving so much money by doing it myself that I should use some of those savings on the electronic tool. Plus, I would use that tool for other aspects. To make a long story short, when I changed my PDK fluid I measured what I took out, and started by putting in exactly what I took out. When I did this it was up to the fill port. When I used the Autel tool to monitor the temperature and put the PDK in the fill mode it gulped another 0.5 liters. That’s the same thing the thread starter found. So, worst case, without the fill mode you might be 0.5 liters short. It seems unlikely that that would cause an issue. Now, I can’t explain why the fill mode allowed another 0.5 liters to fill but I can say I followed the Porsche procedure exactly as specified in the manual. That gave me some piece of mind. I hope this helps.

Autel Scanner MaxiCOM MK808Z-BT: Same As MK808BT Pro

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1339430-full-pdk-service-diy-experience.html

Quick Reply: PDK drain and fill without PIWIS - long term safe practice?