Sponsored by:

Questions about 718 Spyder and GTS 4.0

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2024, 03:26 PM
thenewrick
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Questions about 718 Spyder and GTS 4.0

Howdy, I've been window browsing Porsche for ages.

I noticed the 718 Spyder seems to have depreciated a lot. Used prices are around $120k starting. The GT4 RS Cayman are much more expensive used. Why is that? Why did the Spyder depreciate so much when everything else seems to hold it's value?

I was really surprised to see how cheap Spyders were. I'm considering a 4.0 GTS at about the same price of $120k but if I can get a very lightly used Spyder for the same money it seems like that is the way to go.

I'm sure I'm missing something though.
Old 04-11-2024, 03:51 PM
PTSFX
Rennlist Member

Received 472 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by thenewrick

I noticed the 718 Spyder seems to have depreciated a lot. Used prices are around $120k starting. The GT4 RS Cayman are much more expensive used. Why is that? Why did the Spyder depreciate so much when everything else seems to hold it's value?

I was really surprised to see how cheap Spyders were. I'm considering a 4.0 GTS at about the same price of $120k but if I can get a very lightly used Spyder for the same money it seems like that is the way to go.

a Cayman GT4RS is a much more expensive car than a Spyder ever was, so that’s not a good
comparison. You’d want to compare a Spyder with a GT4. And Spyders haven’t depreciated “a lot”. Most still trade for right around original MSRP.

Regarding a Spyder vs a Boxster GTS 4.0, they weren’t priced that differently to begin with, so depending on how they were optioned a stripped Spyder would have been more money than a nicely-optioned GTS. As to which you would be better off with, they are different cars, so if you want things like and automatic top, keyless start, memory seats, etc for convenience, then you’ll have to get a GTS. If you are willing to exchange those items for the more driver-focused Spyder (not that the GTS is a slouch) because it’s only a weekend/fun car, then you can go that route.

Last edited by PTSFX; 04-11-2024 at 03:55 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by PTSFX:
doug_999 (04-19-2024), NA4.0 (04-11-2024)
Old 04-11-2024, 03:53 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

Received 1,549 Likes on 863 Posts

I think you might need to check which models you are comparing. I think location matters as well. You cant compare the GT4 RS to a Spyder, as they are technically different trim levels with the Spyder being one trim down. The Cayman GT4RS MSRP starts at 140k while the Spyder MSRP starts at 104kish. Your average Spyder MSRP (in the US) was anywhere between 120k-135k give or take some options (not including PTS) so for a used Spyder to be selling at 120k, theres little to no depreciation there.
Old 04-11-2024, 03:54 PM
thenewrick
Intermediate

Ah I thought the Spyder was the convertible version of the GT4 RS.

So the Spyder is more of a GTS 4.0 with a different styling?

As we all know it can be difficult to even get an allocation for a Porsche sports car without purchase history or VIP status. Even if you get an allocation there are significant markups of about 20% which also include some unwanted but mandatory add ons like ceramic coating.

I'm searching for a convertible manual transmission Porsche. Ideally naturally aspirated and rear wheel drive. I test drove a base 718 Boxster and really liked it.

I have a couple years left on the warranty with my current car so I'm not in a huge rush or anything.

I want to see what happens with the next gen of the Boxster and the 911 before making a purchase I think. I'm wondering if there will be like a final edition GTS 4.0 or Spyder or maybe a GT3 Touring Cabriolet/Targa 911.

I'm going to the grand opening of the new Porsche sales center here in Tallahassee in the coming months. I've spoken with several sales associates there over the years. Seems like my wealth and life situation has never quite caught up to Porsche inflation/availability.

I remember walking into a showroom and test driving a Boxster with several sports cars on the lot. Now it's rare to even see 1 but I think the new sales center will get more allocations.

I'm sort of a strange customer where I don't plan to track the car at all and would option the higher softer suspension and cushier seats. I don't need/want extreme performance. I've had several high performance cars before and I've gotten the speedy thrills outta my system for the most part. I just like the build quality and ergonomics of Porches. I don't really like the interior/tech of the 718 or 911 all that much so I'm hoping the next generation/refresh updates those.

Last edited by thenewrick; 04-11-2024 at 04:01 PM.
Old 04-11-2024, 03:58 PM
PTSFX
Rennlist Member

Received 472 Likes on 233 Posts

Ah I thought the Spyder was the convertible version of the GT4 RS.

So the Spyder is more of a GTS 4.0 with a different styling?
the Spyder RS is the convertible version of the GT4RS. The Spyder is the convertible version of the GT4.

Cayman GTS 4.0 : Boxster GTS 4.0
Cayman GT4 : Spyder
Cayman GT4RS : Spyder RS
The following 6 users liked this post by PTSFX:
911T4ME (04-13-2024), MaddMike (04-18-2024), subwoofer (04-11-2024), thenewrick (04-15-2024), UncleDude (04-11-2024), wizee (04-13-2024) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-11-2024, 04:02 PM
sanderabernathy
Rennlist Member

Received 806 Likes on 362 Posts

The GT4 and Spyder share an engine with the GTS but that engine is slightly detuned in the GTS. The key difference between the GTS and the GT4/Spyder is that the GT4/Spyder have suspension parts borrowed from the 911. I forget which 911 and which parts but that's the difference.

The GT4RS though has a completely different engine taken from the GT3. It's that engine that cause the difference in price between a GT4RS and a GT4/Spyder. Also, GT4/Spyders have been around longer so they're older.
Old 04-11-2024, 04:07 PM
thenewrick
Intermediate

Gotcha. That makes sense. I've seen reviews and things for these cars but it doesn't stick in my head. I'm terrible with reference codes and abbreviations.

Can't I just get the GT3 engine in a base 718 Boxster with no options and call it a day for $100k?
Old 04-11-2024, 06:06 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

There probably wont be a final GTS 4.0 version. The Spyder and GT4 were discontinued without so much as a peep and we recently had the Boxster 25 and the Style Edition Cayman and Boxster models pop up, but many people including myself believe thats all we're going to get in terms of special editions.

Getting an allocation nowadays isnt quite as exclusive as we are meant to believe. I got an allocation for a GT4 in 2022 and that was my first ever Porsche and first ever car over 150k as i had to pay ADM. However i just got an allocation for a Boxster GTS at MSRP so they are there and available. I would say just talk around with multiple dealerships and see what it looks like for you.

As far as car to choose, it sounds like you'd enjoy either the Boxster or Spyder. The Spyder while being the GT4 equivalent is still "softer" and gets options like the Burmester Sound System which the GT4 does not. The Boxster will be the most "comfy" of the two and you get the benefit of a powered roof compared to the manual roof of the Spyder.

If you do plan on waiting for the next generation of cars, keep in mind the 718 Boxster and Cayman are reported to be EVs for 2025 and onward. SO if you want a Naturally Aspirated Flat 6 4.0 engine mated to a manual transmission, you better buy now before the second hand market goes up in price.
Old 04-11-2024, 06:29 PM
Jay9722
Racer

Received 151 Likes on 79 Posts

I think you need to go down the YouTube rabbit hole and watch every video made reviewing the cars you’re considering. There are a lot of unique differences between the them. You can’t go wrong with any one of them but to get the most bang for your buck and best ownership experience you need to know which platform will check every box. You might also want to consider the 981 Spyder as its edges are a little bit softer than the 718 Spyder and has the cooler styling over a GTS if that’s your preference. I’m biased as a 718 Spyder owner. But after helping a friend configure a 718 GTS I’m a little bit jealous of the interior styling options available in a GTS Boxster. Good luck with your research!
Old 04-11-2024, 07:28 PM
thenewrick
Intermediate

Porsche loves special editions. I'm almost positive there will be some final ICE 718 special editions.

I'm definitely leaning Boxster. Spyders look great but yea, too sporty for me. Plus I like the super convenient convertible tops not the manual, pull over to the side of the road, ones.

For interior styling I typically look for the 14 way seats and eliminate as much piano black and carbon fiber as I can. I tend to go very very minimal options.

I also really want forged wheels because I've bent and broken wheels before. But the 911 forged wheel option for the 4.0 GTS doesn't look very good to me. I would like to see more forged wheel options.

I'd like to see more special variants for the cabriolet and the Targa. They seem neglected to me. Why not have a GT3 Touring Targa/Cabriolet? Also they make you step up to the Carrera S if you want the manual transmission option, and AWD with the Targa.

I just want a base RWD manual transmission convertible with a special NA engine and a couple of options but Porsche doesn't make it easy.

I've seen some not so great reviews about the 4.0 base engine as well. Things said are it doesn't rev as freely as GT cars, doesn't sound as good, gearing too long and not as fun to shift because you can drive around town in 2nd gear all day.

I can tell Porsche is really trying to avoid making the car I want. They want people to get into Spyders and GT cars to get the special engines and don't think cabriolets/Targas deserve the special engine treatment either.
Old 04-11-2024, 08:29 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

I just want a base RWD manual transmission convertible with a special NA engine and a couple of options but Porsche doesn't make it easy.

I've seen some not so great reviews about the 4.0 base engine as well. Things said are it doesn't rev as freely as GT cars, doesn't sound as good, gearing too long and not as fun to shift because you can drive around town in 2nd gear all day.

I can tell Porsche is really trying to avoid making the car I want. They want people to get into Spyders and GT cars to get the special engines and don't think cabriolets/Targas deserve the special engine treatment either.

That has more to do with the transmission than it does with the engine. Revving freely (i'm assuming you are talking about how quickly it can climb and drop in revs) is more about the flywheel. Driving in 2nd gear is just due to the long gearing in the manual transmission. Even then most people dont really find that much of an issue. If you want shorter gearing then you need to get the PDK.

I think this is where you need to sit down and do some research. Your complaint about only GT cars getting the special engine is misplaced. The engine in the GTS is EXACTLY the same engine you get in the GT4 and the Spyder. The only difference is it's detuned to only make 398 hp vs 414 and it redlines at 7800 RPM instead of 8000. A simple tune basically gives you those 200 RPM back and 16 hp if you really think you'll notice that much of a difference.

And while Porsche does love their special editions, they love it with their 911. Theres not much of a point doing a special edition for the 718 as the sales numbers just arent there.
Old 04-11-2024, 10:12 PM
thenewrick
Intermediate

I think the GT engines also have different components that make it rev more freely. Things like titanium connecting rods and stuff like that make the engine want to rev more freely.

As someone already mentioned there's been several 718 special editions already with the GT4's, Spyders, 25th anniversary, style edition. Would be surprised if they didn't have a final sendoff for the Boxster/Cayman before switching to EV.

And no complaints from me. It's all good. These are luxury toys, zero stress involved. Reminds me a lot of the Rolex buying process.
Old 04-11-2024, 10:35 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,916 Likes on 2,216 Posts

Would be surprised if they didn't have a final sendoff for the Boxster/Cayman before switching to EV.
The final send-off are the RS variants.

PAG and GT div chief has said same.

I mean there could be a parts, paint, decals “special” like they did in 2008
Old 04-12-2024, 11:38 AM
thenewrick
Intermediate

Yea I don't mean it has to be the ultimate top trim track spec special edition. Maybe something more along the lines of the 25th edition with the GT3 engine in it.

Old 04-12-2024, 12:37 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,576 Likes on 2,272 Posts

LOL, who wouldn’t want a medium trim Boxster with the GT3 engine. Most companies, I’d argue, don’t package their prime products in the low end of their price spectrum.

You seem to be describing a Boxster GTS, which is a fantastic car / package. Before you get too hung up on the gearing comments, I suggest a test drive and I’d bet you’d find the engine to be very good, and find that the gearing doesn’t spoil the fun (who shifts at redline each time? no one).

Last edited by UncleDude; 04-12-2024 at 12:39 PM.

Quick Reply: Questions about 718 Spyder and GTS 4.0