Sponsored by:

GT4-ish Build, Introduction

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2023, 04:23 PM
mr.t0fu
Instructor

Received 173 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by mjdcolo
So what was wrong the wing you currently has on?
Nothing really , current wing is great. I'm mostly trying to get more efficient aero. The 1450RS wing is a swan neck wing, which should reduce drag. The first thing I noticed when I first added my current wing is that my Vmax, at my local, track dropped by about 4 to 5mph even though my exit speed at the corner before the straight was the same if not higher.

I also really like the products they make, I've seen both their splitters and wings first hand and the quality is excellent.

Last edited by mr.t0fu; 08-30-2023 at 04:40 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by mr.t0fu:
Cayman_Sense (08-30-2023), mjdcolo (08-30-2023)
Old 08-30-2023, 09:39 PM
mjdcolo
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 34 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by mr.t0fu
Nothing really , current wing is great. I'm mostly trying to get more efficient aero. The 1450RS wing is a swan neck wing, which should reduce drag. The first thing I noticed when I first added my current wing is that my Vmax, at my local, track dropped by about 4 to 5mph even though my exit speed at the corner before the straight was the same if not higher.

I also really like the products they make, I've seen both their splitters and wings first hand and the quality is excellent.
Sounds perfectly reasonable to me! I'm definitely following this, because we have similar DNA (GTS) and the same track idea. You're just way ahead of me.
The following users liked this post:
mr.t0fu (08-31-2023)
Old 08-30-2023, 10:23 PM
mjdcolo
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 34 Posts

Hey Matt (aka mr.t0fu),

What track wheel/tire combo are you running? Are those Apex?

Matt (mjdcolo)
Old 08-31-2023, 08:23 AM
OldJedi
Burning Brakes

Received 591 Likes on 291 Posts

Hi Matt, I looked at the pictures in your thread but could not see the below pictured part. Do you remember if this part came with your GT4 bumper kit and if so how did you attach it to the GTS? It is a support for the GT4 splitter.

Old 08-31-2023, 10:39 AM
mr.t0fu
Instructor

Originally Posted by mjdcolo
Hey Matt (aka mr.t0fu),

What track wheel/tire combo are you running? Are those Apex?

Matt (mjdcolo)
Hey Matt (you have great taste in cars )! I am ashamed to say I run 3 different track combos, mostly because I'm still trying to figure out which I like best. But yes, I have both Apex wheels and Forgeline wheels.

Combo 1: 19x9 (F) and 19x10.5 (R) Forgeline GS1R - this was the first set of track wheels I got because I wanted something forged and at the time I ran a 255/35 and 285/35 tire combo. I found the 30 offset between front and rear tires produced the most neutral setup (obviously without making other suspension adjustments). I run the GY SC3 in 265/285 and Bridgestone RE-17RS in 255/285. The bridgestone is probably the faster tire, but the goodyear lasts forever!
Combo 2: 19x9 (F) and 19x11 (R) Forgeline GS1R - second set. I went with the 11 in the rear so I could have a larger range of tire options, specifically a 295/35 or 305/30 rear tire. I wasn't comfortable running a 295 or a 305 on a 10.5 rear tire. I run the Falken RT660 in 265/295. I don't love this tire and will probably move away from this setup.
Combo 3: 18x9 (F) and 18x10.5 (R) Apex SM10RS - third set. Again a forged wheel. I actually wanted an 18x11 and had some pretty lengthy discussions with Apex on how this could potentially work, but it requires a very aggressive suspensions set-up, which I have, but most people don't run, so ultimately it didn't make sense for them. Anyway I wanted a set of 18s so I could look at more "racey" tire options, Pirelli DH, Hankook slick or Z214, etc. Specifically scrubs are much easier (and cheaper) to come by in 18s. I run the Nankang CR-S in 265/295. So far, the Nankangs are awesome.

Here is a thread where I posted some of my tire thoughts (the thread probably needs some updating lol): https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...-rt-660-a.html

Originally Posted by OldJedi
Hi Matt, I looked at the pictures in your thread but could not see the below pictured part. Do you remember if this part came with your GT4 bumper kit and if so how did you attach it to the GTS? It is a support for the GT4 splitter.
Hey! Yup, that part came with my kit. You definitely need it and if you ever want to run an aftermarket splitter a lot of the more reputable companies will use that "brace" for additional splitter support. Below are pics on where it mounts, once you remove the air guides it's pretty easy to get to.

Everything removed

Mounting location

In the first picture you can see the three studs (is that what they are?), next to the third radiator, that the brace mounts to and the top wire piece mounts to the crash bar. Let me know if you have any other questions! Here to help

Last edited by mr.t0fu; 08-31-2023 at 11:20 AM.
cbracerx (09-10-2023)
Old 08-31-2023, 06:56 PM
OldJedi
Burning Brakes

Received 591 Likes on 291 Posts

I think you said that you bought all OEM GT4 parts, bumper, radiator, hoses, and assorted pieces instead of an aftermarket GT4 bumper kit. I’m looking at all the stickers on the crash bar and assumingthat it is a OEM Porsche GT4 part and not your original GTS crash bar. Thanks for the help and the pictures, the one with the three studs really helps to show me where it bolts up. It was good to see that the studs were already on your GTS.

I bought a NR Auto GT4 bumper kit but it is currently out of stock but hopefully it will be available soon. I have received the GT4 rear spoiler and side scoops and will get everything painted and start my GTS/4 Touring project. I will start a new thread because I don’t want to step on any of the threads like yours that have been so informative and helpful. Thanks again Matt for all of your help.

Last edited by OldJedi; 08-31-2023 at 07:22 PM.
mr.t0fu (08-31-2023)
Old 08-31-2023, 07:00 PM
mr.t0fu
Instructor

Originally Posted by OldJedi
... I’m looking at all the stickers on the crash bar and assuming that it is a OEM Porsche GT4 part and not your original GTS crash bar. Thanks for the help and the pictures, the one with the three studs really helps to show me where it bolts up... I have received the GT4 rear spoiler and side scoops and will get everything painted and start my GTS/4 Touring project. I will start a new thread because I don’t want to step on any of the threads like yours that have been so informative and helpful. Thanks again for all of your help.
You are correct! That is the OEM GT4 crash bar. I'm excited to see your GTS/4 Touring project, I'll definitely be following your journey as well !
Old 09-12-2023, 10:42 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 589 Likes on 398 Posts

@mr.t0fu would you mind taking a picture of the brake caliper to wheel clearance on your setup? I'm highly interested in the AP Racing 372mm front setup with 18" wheels. I'm just a bit afraid of getting into the GT4 pccb situation where there is so little clearance, a pebble can get jammed between the caliper and wheel barrel.
Old 09-17-2023, 02:54 PM
cbracerx
Rennlist Member

Received 398 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by cbracerx
My experience. Installed factory 718 GT4 scoops on 2018CS. Used the clips only. Did my high speed test loop which combines semi-smooth surface, decent lateral Gs and a “straight” where triple digit speeds are reached. The scoops started to separate from the bodywork on the rear section. So they certainly scoop plenty of air! I added 3M thin tape as shown above in donR post. Ran test again a day later. Scoops still wanted to separate along the trailing edge. You can see the locations on the factory scoops where the T20 Torx self tapping fasteners are to be used (*the raised square areas). I’m going to get the factory screws and install them before my next track event (anyone have the part number for these 6 screws?). I think for street driving the screws aren’t needed, unless you live in Nevada
I got this all done and I am very happy with the results. Just like factory now https://www.718forum.com/threads/201...53/post-362041
Old 09-20-2023, 09:49 AM
mr.t0fu
Instructor

Originally Posted by spdracerut
@mr.t0fu would you mind taking a picture of the brake caliper to wheel clearance on your setup? I'm highly interested in the AP Racing 372mm front setup with 18" wheels. I'm just a bit afraid of getting into the GT4 pccb situation where there is so little clearance, a pebble can get jammed between the caliper and wheel barrel.
Will do, on track this weekend, will take some photos then.
Old 09-21-2023, 02:39 PM
mr.t0fu
Instructor

Couple of pics before the track this weekend. It's supposed to rain, a lot, so we'll see if I can collect any useful data ...

Decided to screw the scoops in, I used different screws not the ones from PET, I was worried about the screw backing out of the plastic. More on that later ...
The following 4 users liked this post by mr.t0fu:
cbracerx (09-23-2023), donR (09-21-2023), Kheires (09-21-2023), Kram71 (06-25-2024)
Old 09-27-2023, 11:47 PM
powerhusky
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got some exterior body damage on my 2.5 GTS at my last track day and considering going the full track car route instead of restoring to how it was before.

This story and all the information you’ve shared is super helpful 👍
mr.t0fu (09-28-2023)
Old 09-29-2023, 07:17 AM
RajuPatel
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

Add the DBJ front splitter. I did it on my GT4 with the DBJ wing and they both work real fine in conjunction. The front splitter created so much suction that at the front centre steel wire support snapped on my second day at the track. The front splitter makes the car stick to the track like a leech... M2C
Old 09-29-2023, 08:57 AM
mr.t0fu
Instructor

Originally Posted by RajuPatel
Add the DBJ front splitter. I did it on my GT4 with the DBJ wing and they both work real fine in conjunction. The front splitter created so much suction that at the front centre steel wire support snapped on my second day at the track. The front splitter makes the car stick to the track like a leech... M2C
Thanks, many ppl I track with also have the DBJ splitter. Front grip and downforce isn't currently a problem for me, but I'll definitely keep it in mind. I went to the 1450 RS wing more for the drag reduction vs increased downforce in the rear. If I go to the 1600 swan neck then I'll definitely add the DBJ front splitter.
Old 09-29-2023, 08:27 PM
mr.t0fu
Instructor

Originally Posted by spdracerut
Here are a couple of pics. Please excuse the chubby finger. It looks like it's around .75" of clearance.

The following 2 users liked this post by mr.t0fu:
Apex Wheels (10-10-2023), JRitt@essex (10-03-2023)

Quick Reply: GT4-ish Build, Introduction