Notices
718 Forum 982 (718) 2016-Current Discussions about 718 Boxster Cayman Variants
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Price Negotiation on the 718 Cayman GTS 4.0?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2023, 07:33 PM
Qayman851
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Price Negotiation on the 718 Cayman GTS 4.0?

Hi, Everyone. New here. Looking to buy my very first Porsche, which will most likely be a new GTS 4.0. My dealer told me they just received a slot for a Cayman GTS and a Boxster GTS, but they seemed pretty determined to sell both above MSRP (They were letting me know the news but we haven't communicated on the details yet). Understand the supply and demand for these last N/A ICE sports cars but paying above MSRP is still hard to swallow at the moment. Wondering if there is a good strategy to negotiate price as much as possible? Many Thanks!
Old 07-02-2023, 07:47 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 606 Likes on 407 Posts

Originally Posted by Qayman851
Hi, Everyone. New here. Looking to buy my very first Porsche, which will most likely be a new GTS 4.0. My dealer told me they just received a slot for a Cayman GTS and a Boxster GTS, but they seemed pretty determined to sell both above MSRP (They were letting me know the news but we haven't communicated on the details yet). Understand the supply and demand for these last N/A ICE sports cars but paying above MSRP is still hard to swallow at the moment. Wondering if there is a good strategy to negotiate price as much as possible? Many Thanks!
Not likely. This is the end of the line for gas powered Caymans. If you want it built exactly to your preferences, you'll have to dish out. Or wait a few years and buy something used.
The following users liked this post:
Qayman851 (07-03-2023)
Old 07-02-2023, 07:49 PM
cooler2442
Rennlist Member

Received 1,646 Likes on 869 Posts

Yeah broker market on allocations seems to be 5-10k for a GTS 4.0 allocation.
Qayman851 (07-03-2023)
Old 07-02-2023, 08:54 PM
Corgi171
Track Day

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm also looking for an allocation but it seems like most dealerships are charging $10k-$15k over MSRP and even then there's a waitlist. You won't negotiate anything below MSRP. They won't take you seriously and even the ones who aren't charging dealer markups are requiring you to buy mandatory tech packs like trickle chargers, car cover, all weather floor mats for $1500. They know it's hard to come by and people are paying with the markups regardless so good luck if you find one but I'd order one asap if you find one selling at just MSRP. Also let me know if they have other allocations as I am definitely looking to buy one for a while now.
Qayman851 (07-03-2023)
Old 07-02-2023, 09:19 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,916 Likes on 2,216 Posts

It’s free to ask.

Not sure you have any leverage to get it reduced; easy to sell these above MSRP.

My dealer stopped talking 718 “interests” a while back, so good luck out there.

How high is the ADM? How much does 5 or 10 % matter at end of the day?
Old 07-03-2023, 12:17 AM
pgap718
Racer

Received 134 Likes on 77 Posts

I got on a waiting list, no money required and for MSRP. That said, this was back in March roughly. Anyways, I was around #9 in line. Then a few weeks ago I get a call from the dealer saying how does a September spot sound? Given I was originally told closer to December for a build spot. THEN....the next day hwy, how does a spot now sound? A few people in front of my bailed and I was given the weekend to decided. (In the process of house shopping so had to crunch some numbers!) I said yes, then I have until July 11th to lock it up. I had to put $5k down when I wanted the spot reserved.
The following 5 users liked this post by pgap718:
Chrismalberts (07-03-2023), Corgi171 (07-03-2023), Dr.Bill (07-04-2023), gurneyeagle (07-21-2023), Qayman851 (07-03-2023)
Old 07-03-2023, 12:27 AM
Qayman851
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pgap718
I got on a waiting list, no money required and for MSRP. That said, this was back in March roughly. Anyways, I was around #9 in line. Then a few weeks ago I get a call from the dealer saying how does a September spot sound? Given I was originally told closer to December for a build spot. THEN....the next day hwy, how does a spot now sound? A few people in front of my bailed and I was given the weekend to decided. (In the process of house shopping so had to crunch some numbers!) I said yes, then I have until July 11th to lock it up. I had to put $5k down when I wanted the spot reserved.
At MSRP for a GTS? Mind sharing what area you are in? Your whole process sounds nicer than the ones I have read.
Old 07-03-2023, 12:50 AM
Corgi171
Track Day

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by pgap718
Which dealership? I'd like to get in line
Old 07-03-2023, 07:17 AM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,142 Likes on 642 Posts

This is a strange game. It makes zero sense to me why some dealers are willing to leave money on the table and others aren't. I don't have any idea how the auto industry works at a molecular level, and I'm definitely not a data scientist by trade, but it seems like Porsche could easily do some data analytics from demand orders across all their dealerships and work out the distribution favorably to help the actual consumers. But they don't choose to do that... so my guess is they're actively using that data against the consumers. Probably by letting the dealers do the opposite to control inventory and manufacture demand.

Anyway, what still doesn't make sense to me is that people are still paying ADMs for these cars when the used market seems strong. Personally, I'm immensely impatient and waiting 9 months for my car was one of the most agonizing things I've ever put myself through (yes, first world problems- you get the point). At the time last year when I was waiting, you couldn't get a used GTS 4.0 for less than about $120k- they were ALL asking over MSRP on the used market, and were scarce so getting the right spec was also an issue. Now that doesn't seem to be the case... and personally, if I was in the same situation now I'd definitely just buy used.

So you asked for leverage... your leverage is that you look at the used market, and if you find a car you like, buy used. Eventually this will even out and the ADMs will have to go away. Unless there are really just that many people willing to spend 5 figures over an already very expensive car just to pick what color stitching they get?
The following 4 users liked this post by manifold danger:
Dream911 (07-03-2023), IndigoInkTaco (07-11-2023), kwikit356 (07-05-2023), maschinetheist (07-03-2023)
Old 07-03-2023, 09:47 AM
ANGST
Rennlist Member

Received 192 Likes on 110 Posts

It's still a funny time for the market. I've been watching prices plateau and creep down a tad in the used market .
The following 2 users liked this post by ANGST:
mikedotd (07-03-2023), pgap718 (07-03-2023)
Old 07-03-2023, 09:58 AM
pgap718
Racer

At MSRP for a GTS? Mind sharing what area you are in? Your whole process sounds nicer than the ones I have read.
Colorado. I also got on a list at end of last year from the dealership in North Dakota but I've never heard back from them lol. That said, I'm not sure what their list process is right now as remember, mine was back in March. There is a brand new dealership opening up in August , Porsche Seattle North.
Old 07-03-2023, 10:00 AM
pgap718
Racer

Originally Posted by Corgi171
Which dealership? I'd like to get in line
Colorado Springs but just a fyi I got on a list back in March so things probably have changed. The only reason I'm getting a final lock soon is because so many people dropped out l before me. As I mentioned above, there's a new dealership being built in north Seattle and opening in August. I'm guessing they'll be getting lots of calls haha!

Last edited by pgap718; 07-04-2023 at 02:13 PM.
Corgi171 (07-03-2023)
Old 07-03-2023, 01:52 PM
Scrounger
Instructor

Received 138 Likes on 62 Posts

The only negotiation I got was 'do you want it or not??'
pgap718 (07-03-2023)
Old 07-03-2023, 02:01 PM
pgap718
Racer

Originally Posted by Scrounger
The only negotiation I got was 'do you want it or not??'
I know Porsche Bellevue (Seattle area) told me $10k down of whatever the build was and a $15k markup. I would've been like #15 in line and probably a 2 year wait which meant...no guarantee you get a Cayman GTS 4.0. I personally think Porsche is going to sell ICE alongside the EV version IF it even comes out as a 2025. That's like a year away it looks like there's still so much testing to do.
Old 07-03-2023, 06:59 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

Received 1,549 Likes on 863 Posts

The key here is to be willing to purchase out of state. As you can see there are many different dealers who will do things differently. Some dealerships are willing to sell at MSRP, either because they know they will garner a loyal buyer base or maybe because they sell so many cars that it doesn't matter. Others are going to be greedy and will squeeze you for everything you have.

At the end of the day you will have to do some work to get the car that you want. Gone are the days where you can negotiate any sort of price, there's still not enough Supply to satisfy the Demand and the dealerships know this. Right now majority if not all the power is in dealerships hands. What i recommend is dont rely on waitlists. Some will treat it exactly what it sounds like, others will just keep pushing you back even if they have open allocations for people who are willing to pay more than you. I would highly recommend reaching out to @bpeacock or other brokers. For a small fee they can try and search their network for an allocation that fits with what you want. For me i was willing to pay 20k ADM but no more. Ben managed to find me one for that price and within 2 weeks of me asking. Also just call around, a lot of dealerships have allocations available, but they aren't necessarily handing them out yet.
The following 2 users liked this post by Xxyion:
bpeacock (07-03-2023), George from MD (07-05-2023)

Quick Reply: Price Negotiation on the 718 Cayman GTS 4.0?