Notices
718 Forum 982 (718) 2016-Current Discussions about 718 Boxster Cayman Variants
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Cayman 718 GTS 4.0 or Used 911 Carrera?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2023 | 05:46 PM
rhody718
Rennlist Member

A local one up here in New England (where I originally bought the Carrera T in 2020), PM me if you really want the name, but I'm 95% certain I only got the allocation because I am a prior customer.

Since you're new, let me give you a brief rundown of how the "game" works in the high-end/luxury/performance brand world. It was entirely new to me in 2020 and really opened my eyes as I learned:
-
  1. Most dealers want a client to build a "relationship" with, not just sell a car to the first guy that walks in with a credit score above 700.
  2. You very likely won't get an allocation for a in-demand (GT/Spyder/GTS) car if you've never bought anything from that dealer before. They have limited allocations and they go to existing clients first.
  3. Related to the above, it doesn't matter if you have the money. Other luxury markets are the same way, like watches. You can't just roll up to a Rolex store with $25k in cash and ask to buy a watch, you'll get laughed out of the building.
  4. In today's market, be prepared to pay an ADM or market adjustment, aka "how bad do you really want this car?" tax. I am paying $10k ADM on my build. Some dealers are selling at MSRP as they go through their waitlist, but it is often a very long wait and they probably have a longer list than they will get remaining MY24 allocations at this point.

While all of that probably sounds kinda depressing, hope is not lost! When I was first looking to get a Cayman S allocation in 2020, I had 2 dealers tell me no and I'd have to wait probably a year for a slot. Another asked me to give a $5k deposit to show "serious interest" and I'd probably get one in a few months. I bought a CPO 911 the next week no problem. So, you have options:
-
  • Buy used. While getting a new car can be very challenging for a first-time Porsche buyer, anything sitting in the pre-owned section of a dealer's lot is generally fair game. The GTS4.0 has been out for over 2 years now, there are used ones on market. Use finder.porsche.com to locate one near you as close as you can get to your desired spec and contact the dealer. Then go drive and if you like it, buy it.
  • Keep lurking rennlist and 718forum. Random people will post about dealers they know with an allocation and it's first-come, first-served. You'll want to call/email ASAP and say you're a serious buyer and are prepared to put down a deposit.

I hope this was at least somewhat helpful, best of luck in your search!

Last edited by rhody718; 07-07-2023 at 06:00 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by rhody718:
Corgi171 (07-07-2023), mikedotd (07-08-2023)
Old 07-07-2023 | 05:56 PM
Corgi171
Track Day

Originally Posted by rhody718
A local one up here in New England (where I originally bought the Carrera T in 2020), PM me if you really want the name, but I'm 95% certain I only got the allocation because I am a prior customer.

Since you're new, let me give you a brief rundown of how the "game" works in the high-end/luxury/performance brand world. It was entirely new to me in 2020 and really opened my eyes as I learned:
-
  1. Most dealers want a client to build a "relationship" with, not just sell a car to the first guy that walks in with a credit score above 700.
  2. You very likely won't get an allocation for a in-demand (GT/Spyder/GTS) car if you've never bought anything from that dealer before. They have limited allocations and they go to existing clients first.
  3. Related to the above, it doesn't matter if you have the money. Other luxury markets are the same way, like watches. You can't just roll up to a Rolex store with $25k in cash and ask to buy a watch, you'll get laughed out of the building.
  4. In today's market, be prepared to pay an ADM or market adjustment, aka "how bad do you really want this car?" tax. I am paying $10k ADM on my build. Some dealers are selling at MSRP as they go through their waitlist, but it is often a very long wait and they probably have a longer list than they will get remaining MY24 allocations at this point.

While all of that probably sounds kinda depressing, hope is not lost! When I was first looking to get a Cayman S allocation in 2020, I had 2 dealers tell me no and I'd have to wait probably a year for a slot. Another asked me to give a $5k deposit to show "serious interest" and I'd probably get one in a few months. I bought a CPO 911 the next week no problem. So, you have options:
-
  • Buy used. While getting a new car can be very challenging for a first-time Porsche buyer, anything sitting in the pre-owned section of a dealer's lot is generally fair game. The GTS4.0 has been out for over 2 years now, there are used ones on market. Use finder.porsche.com to locate one near you as close as you can get to your desired spec and contact the dealer. Then go drive and if you like it, buy it.
  • Keep lurking rennlist and 718forum. Random people will post about dealers they know with an allocation and it's first-come, first-served.

I hope this was at least somewhat helpful, best of luck in your search!
Thanks Rhody,

Yea I heard similar things as well. I did find 2 dealerships who aren't charging above MSRP and they did mention the whole relationship aspect. I was upfront and let them know I live in Austin (although the Texas dealership is someone I could work with since I travel to that city for work). I thought about a CPO 911 or GTS40 but with the inflated market, it doesn't make sense to buy a CPO GTS40 for 115k after 10k miles when a new one is 108k. Should I buy a used one, I will wait until the market cools down a bit but at that point 911s are now an option.

I am also into watches so I understand the Rolex analogy. Fortunately, I have mutual friends with the salesmen at the 2 dealerships who said they would help me out but their repeat customers do probably come first. As long as I get the car and build I want I do not mind waiting a year, it gives me time to increase my assets via investments anyway. I don't want to get a CPO just to get another car later considering I will lose money on the CPO when I trade it in (I guess it would be similar to paying 10K ADM up front).

Thanks for all the advice and let me know if you have anything else to share. I'm hoping my relationship with my 2 current dealers will suffice to get an allocation even if I'm in the back of the line. The Porsche salesmen are good friends with our mutual friends who are pretty high up in their own dealerships in the cities and I am hoping I can use that network to get an allocation that way.
The following users liked this post:
Webfiero (07-17-2023)
Old 07-07-2023 | 06:22 PM
rhody718
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Corgi171
Thanks Rhody,
Fortunately, I have mutual friends with the salesmen at the 2 dealerships who said they would help me out but their repeat customers do probably come first. As long as I get the car and build I want I do not mind waiting a year, it gives me time to increase my assets via investments anyway. I don't want to get a CPO just to get another car later considering I will lose money on the CPO when I trade it in (I guess it would be similar to paying 10K ADM up front).

Thanks for all the advice and let me know if you have anything else to share. I'm hoping my relationship with my 2 current dealers will suffice to get an allocation even if I'm in the back of the line. The Porsche salesmen are good friends with our mutual friends who are pretty high up in their own dealerships in the cities and I am hoping I can use that network to get an allocation that way.
Nice! It sounds like you do have a network/some connections already which is definitely a leg up over being some random guy off the street.

will lose money on the CPO when I trade it in
You'd be surprised. I bought my 911 T in 2020 for $92k. I traded it in 3 weeks ago for $87k. Losing only $5k after owning a 911 for 2.5 years seems pretty good value to me. (Spoiler: Dealer re-listed it on their site for $99k )

I guess it would be similar to paying 10K ADM up front
Pretty much, and it one of the reasons ADM exists. The market demand is SO strong for these cars that ADM is a way to discourage people from getting allocations and then just flipping them to make $15-20k without doing anything.

Your biggest challenge is how you want to deal with the (rumored) imposing deadline for MY25 EV switch. Porsche is right now changing over to manufacturing 2024 models so by this time next year, if the rumors are true, that's it -- no more ICE Boxsters & Caymans. What's more important to you, getting a GTS 4.0 or getting your GTS 4.0? Personally, as much as I loathe the idea of paying another $10k just for the privilege for buying a car that's already $100k+, I realized it may be my last chance to do so. If you just want one and don't specifically care about picking out every single option yourself? Definitely wait.

Also, drive both before you make any decisions. The 911 is an amazing machine but after owning one 2 years, the thing I really wanted was a manual, NA, mid-engine convertible. And only one Porsche* fits that bill.

Spoiler

Last edited by rhody718; 07-07-2023 at 06:23 PM.
Corgi171 (07-07-2023)
Old 07-07-2023 | 06:31 PM
Corgi171
Track Day

[QUOTE=rhody718;18896149]Nice! It sounds like you do have a network/some connections already which is definitely a leg up over being some random guy off the street.

You'd be surprised. I bought my 911 T in 2020 for $92k. I traded it in 3 weeks ago for $87k. Losing only $5k after owning a 911 for 2.5 years seems pretty good value to me. (Spoiler: Dealer re-listed it on their site for $99k )

Pretty much, and it one of the reasons ADM exists. The market demand is SO strong for these cars that ADM is a way to discourage people from getting allocations and then just flipping them to make $15-20k without doing anything.

Your biggest challenge is how you want to deal with the (rumored) imposing deadline for MY25 EV switch. Porsche is right now changing over to manufacturing 2024 models so by this time next year, if the rumors are true, that's it -- no more ICE Boxsters & Caymans. What's more important to you, getting a GTS 4.0 or getting your GTS 4.0? Personally, as much as I loathe the idea of paying another $10k just for the privilege for buying a car that's already $100k+, I realized it may be my last chance to do so. If you just want one and don't specifically care about picking out every single option yourself? Definitely wait.

Also, drive both before you make any decisions. The 911 is an amazing machine but after owning one 2 years, the thing I really wanted was a manual, NA, mid-engine convertible. And only one Porsche* fits
Spoiler

QUOTE]
Old 07-08-2023 | 10:44 PM
kwikit356
Rennlist Member

@AdamIsAdam "But for my Sophie's choice, I'm keeping the Cayman. I can always look at pictures of the 911 after I'm done driving the incredible mid-engine machine."
AdamIsAdam (07-09-2023), cbracerx (07-09-2023)
Old 07-09-2023 | 07:02 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

I owned a new 2013 BS with the 3,4 L for 4 years and a 2018 911 4s coupe for five years subsequently. Both manuals. Both were lovely cars and wonderful to drive. I enjoyed the Boxster more with its NA flat six and 'only' 315 hp engine. The 911 was much faster and I had to drive it faster to derive the same enjoyment. Neither car (for me) was very pleasant for long hwy drives. I found them to be much too noisy, especially the 911. Current prices for both cars are kinda insane to me personally and I wouldn't pay ADM for the privilege of ownership a new car. There are plenty of used 911s and Boxsters/Caymans to choose from and you will be happy with them.
pkalhan (07-09-2023)
Old 07-09-2023 | 07:18 PM
pkalhan
Racer

Originally Posted by AnandN
I owned a new 2013 BS with the 3,4 L for 4 years and a 2018 911 4s coupe for five years subsequently. Both manuals. Both were lovely cars and wonderful to drive. I enjoyed the Boxster more with its NA flat six and 'only' 315 hp engine. The 911 was much faster and I had to drive it faster to derive the same enjoyment. Neither car (for me) was very pleasant for long hwy drives. I found them to be much too noisy, especially the 911. Current prices for both cars are kinda insane to me personally and I wouldn't pay ADM for the privilege of ownership a new car. There are plenty of used 911s and Boxsters/Caymans to choose from and you will be happy with them.
Heck yeah they are. Depending on how you spec it an S model Cayman or Boxster will get you over $100k which is jaw dropping but it is the times we live in. CPO is a great way to go.
Old 07-09-2023 | 08:17 PM
Zhao
Drifting

CPO doesn't make sense where I am. You're not saving anything going that route as they want new pricing or more. The only opportunity for a decent deal is to buy privately from someone whos about 3 minutes away from selling it to a dealership, but not trading it in for tax credit. Not the guy who doesn't need to sell and is just feeling the market out at dealer rate. I see the odd private sale that is priced decent but they dont seem to last very long.

But prices are definitely slowly coming down, at least on gt4 and spyders since they were discontinued.
Old 07-09-2023 | 10:11 PM
neteng101
Instructor

Originally Posted by AnandN
There are plenty of used 911s and Boxsters/Caymans to choose from and you will be happy with them.
718 GTS 4.0/GT4 aren't cheap used, CPOs on the GTS 4.0 Cayman is low 100s which isn't really a bargain, a low spec low mileage 2023 GTS 4.0 still sold for over its MSRP on BAT recently. Its the only GTS 4.0 on BAT this year too, and the small sum over MSRP makes it a good buy for the buyer of that car actually.

Used 992s are above used GTS 4.0s generally too, though new GTS 4.0s can be more costly.

For the person originally asking - they really need to consider if they just want any Porsche car or if there's other criteria that's important as well. If the 911 has always been the dream, get a used one, if the Cayman is a dream the GTS 4.0 might be the last chance to grab one with a manual and the 6. Its as simple as that - money matters somewhat but getting the P-car you really want is the real deal.

Last edited by neteng101; 07-09-2023 at 10:12 PM.
pkalhan (07-09-2023)
Old 07-09-2023 | 11:28 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Of course if one has to have a Porsche now, times are tougher for buyers and one has to pay high prices. I’ve owned two new ones for about a decade and I don’t see the value in repeating the experience for substantially more sums of money. The current 718 GTS to me is not that different from the 981 BS that I owned. I don’t see it as a must have especially for the current asking price. I couldn’t get an allocation early last year and I didn’t pursue it any further. The 992 has basically the same drivetrain as my 2018 C4S with newer instrumentation.

The local dealer that I used, Porsche of Nashua has a 2018 BGTS with a manual as well as a 2013 C4S PDk. Both for about 80k. I also saw a 2018 C4S for about 102k for sale in MA. Quite a few also at Porsche of Stratham. Dealer in NH. Plenty of 911s to be had.

Last edited by subwoofer; 07-10-2023 at 10:10 AM.
Old 07-10-2023 | 06:39 AM
doug751
Racer

Fawsitt Motors in Ohio
Old 07-13-2023 | 08:33 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Well I'm about 3 minutes away from selling to a dealership. Make me an offer.
Old 07-15-2023 | 06:13 PM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

I wanted to cross post this feedback because it's appropriate in this thread. I can certainly expand if asked:

I have a lot of specific opinions as I compare the 992 911T to my Cayman GTS4.0. Like how the 6 spd is way better than the 7spd. How the 911 brakes are far superior. How the NA 4.0 feels and sounds better, at least in close to stock forms. But overall, I think I can sum it up very succinctly like this:

The 911 is gorgeous and iconic. I love looking at it, being seen in it, and just being around it. And the 911 is a MONSTER when it comes to traction, gotta love that rear engine weight bias. I can see why it wins races. I just love the car!
The Cayman GTS 4.0 fits like a skin-tight, leather glove. It cuts like a scalpel and I feel totally one with the car. I love that mid-engine balance, how that NA 4.0 pulls and sounds, and I particularly love the smaller size of the car in general. I just love the car!

Final answer? After my recent 700 mile road trip and high speed seat time in the 911, I came home and jumped into the 718 today, and I felt like I was home. While you can't pick favorites between your kids, often times parents secretly do!
The following 6 users liked this post by AdamIsAdam:
borivojc (07-20-2023), Corgi171 (07-15-2023), Pantera1683 (07-17-2023), pkalhan (07-15-2023), sonicworld (07-15-2023), WillyDaP (07-15-2023) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-15-2023 | 06:17 PM
Corgi171
Track Day

Originally Posted by AdamIsAdam
I wanted to cross post this feedback because it's appropriate in this thread. I can certainly expand if asked:

I have a lot of specific opinions as I compare the 992 911T to my Cayman GTS4.0. Like how the 6 spd is way better than the 7spd. How the 911 brakes are far superior. How the NA 4.0 feels and sounds better, at least in close to stock forms. But overall, I think I can sum it up very succinctly like this:

The 911 is gorgeous and iconic. I love looking at it, being seen in it, and just being around it. And the 911 is a MONSTER when it comes to traction, gotta love that rear engine weight bias. I can see why it wins races. I just love the car!
The Cayman GTS 4.0 fits like a skin-tight, leather glove. It cuts like a scalpel and I feel totally one with the car. I love that mid-engine balance, how that NA 4.0 pulls and sounds, and I particularly love the smaller size of the car in general. I just love the car!

Final answer? After my recent 700 mile road trip and high speed seat time in the 911, I came home and jumped into the 718 today, and I felt like I was home. While you can't pick favorites between your kids, often times parents secretly do!
Thank you for your input. Seems to be a consensus among people who have driven both cars. I plan on holding onto a possible GTS allocation.
The following 2 users liked this post by Corgi171:
AdamIsAdam (07-15-2023), WillyDaP (07-15-2023)
Old 07-15-2023 | 08:08 PM
bulkychipmonk
Instructor

Originally Posted by AdamIsAdam

Your description of the 718 is EXACTLY how I feel about it, but you put it so much more eloquently than I ever have. I haven’t driven a 911, but I always loved the way they looked, and the GT3 was always the dream for me. But every time I drive the GTS 4.0 I can’t help but think, what more could I ever want from a car. It could be perfection for me, and it might have to be with two very expensive kids in my house
The following 5 users liked this post by bulkychipmonk:
AdamIsAdam (07-15-2023), Corgi171 (07-15-2023), maschinetheist (07-16-2023), pkalhan (12-23-2023), WillyDaP (07-15-2023)

Quick Reply: New Cayman 718 GTS 4.0 or Used 911 Carrera?