Notices
718 Forum 982 (718) 2016-Current Discussions about 718 Boxster Cayman Variants
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Cayman 718 GTS 4.0 or Used 911 Carrera?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2023, 07:01 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,707 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by manifold danger
I don't see how this value is a valid argument for a GT4 when you're immediately paying an appreciated value just to get the car. It's $10k over MSRP for a 3 year old car.

My opinion is you should only get a GT4 if you know it's what you want. Don't play the "might be worth more some day" angle. That has zero impact on your ownership experience, and in many ways can be a detriment if you try to "preserve" it for the next owner.
Unless you have gobs of money to light on fire or plan to own it forever, cost of ownership is a big factor for many. GT cars are very likely to be able to be owned for almost no loss compared to their non gt counterparts. Non GT Porsches traditionally lose a lot of value in the first few years before tehy do a slow decline, and eventually start coming back up in value. GT cars can appreciate instantly like gt3s or better, or barely lose anything like the 981 GT4s did.

There is no need to preserve a GT car for the next person, because the worst examples still generally sell for good money (as was provable by 981 GT4s at the worst time in covid to buy a car still selling for close to MSRP). I look at used prices right now and it's very obvious that from a financial aspect buying a GT4 was a much smarter decision than a GTS. It's a 35k difference in my country between the
cheapest 2021 GTS 4.0 and GT4, and yet it was about a 15g difference with MSRP. Yes, it's **** rape to pay above MSRP for a 3 year old car, but IMO that delta between GTS and GT4 selling prices isn't likely going to change as the market cools down because all cars are inflated right now. If it does change the gap between a non gt and GT car will likely just grow.

Either way buying a car right now is probably a terrible decision, but at least with hte GT4 there is a good chance the value of it remains high as it will be collectable, being the best manual GT Cayman ever made. I don't see GTS 4.0s ever becoming highly collectable.
Old 07-02-2023, 07:22 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,093 Likes on 541 Posts

Dumb question and slightly OT: I’ve been out of the porsche allocation game since 718/992 introduced; are there configurable 718 boxster gts 4.0 allocations still available? If I called up an old but good dealer relationship, is Porsche still making boxster gts 4.0? Sorry for the clueless question.
Old 07-02-2023, 07:49 PM
Corgi171
Track Day

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Zhao
There is no firm rule for what makes a sports car a sports car, but IMO it mostly has to do with being nimble, small, and focused on being fun, and not compromising on those missions. The 992 may be a sports car to you, but I'd call it a GT car because it is far closer to that IMO. It shares a lot with the GT cars I've owned over the years. It has almost none of the characteristics of my favourite sports cars because it is too big and compromised by trying to check way too many boxes.
Agreed. I'm an M guy so I see it like the M2 and M5. The M5 is the more powerful, faster car. But the M2 is so quick and agile it just cut corners and you feel like you have full control at all time. Both sports cars and both fast, just a different way of getting there
The following users liked this post:
pkalhan (12-23-2023)
Old 07-02-2023, 07:51 PM
Corgi171
Track Day

Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9
Dumb question and slightly OT: I’ve been out of the porsche allocation game since 718/992 introduced; are there configurable 718 boxster gts 4.0 allocations still available? If I called up an old but good dealer relationship, is Porsche still making boxster gts 4.0? Sorry for the clueless question.
Yes! I forgot the exact place but a dealership in NYC has 4 Boxster GTS allocations. I know this because he thought that's what I wanted but I told him it was for a 718 Cayman GTS 4.0. Got my hopes up for nothing lol
Old 07-02-2023, 07:56 PM
Corgi171
Track Day

Unless you have gobs of money to light on fire or plan to own it forever, cost of ownership is a big factor for many. GT cars are very likely to be able to be owned for almost no loss compared to their non gt counterparts. Non GT Porsches traditionally lose a lot of value in the first few years before tehy do a slow decline, and eventually start coming back up in value. GT cars can appreciate instantly like gt3s or better, or barely lose anything like the 981 GT4s did.

There is no need to preserve a GT car for the next person, because the worst examples still generally sell for good money (as was provable by 981 GT4s at the worst time in covid to buy a car still selling for close to MSRP). I look at used prices right now and it's very obvious that from a financial aspect buying a GT4 was a much smarter decision than a GTS. It's a 35k difference in my country between the
cheapest 2021 GTS 4.0 and GT4, and yet it was about a 15g difference with MSRP. Yes, it's **** rape to pay above MSRP for a 3 year old car, but IMO that delta between GTS and GT4 selling prices isn't likely going to change as the market cools down because all cars are inflated right now. If it does change the gap between a non gt and GT car will likely just grow.

Either way buying a car right now is probably a terrible decision, but at least with hte GT4 there is a good chance the value of it remains high as it will be collectable, being the best manual GT Cayman ever made. I don't see GTS 4.0s ever becoming highly collectable.
While I do agree the GT4 is more collectible. I've heard several people say the GTS is that sweet spot where you have the flat 6, enough luxury and comfort, but also a good performance sports car in terms of 718. Considering the GTS will also be discontinued, someone who wants a 718 but not the rugged/stiff track oriented style car would probably want a GTS over the GT4 no?

I'm still considering the used GT4 but it's used, alcantara (not a fan), stiff bucket seats (I have a 3 hour drive back from Houston to Austin), and I'm paying more in terms of my loan, maintenance, insurance, etc I feel like a GTS is good enough for that price range especially when I can spec the car to what I want in it.
The following 2 users liked this post by Corgi171:
George from MD (07-03-2023), pkalhan (07-02-2023)
Old 07-02-2023, 09:36 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,419 Likes on 1,963 Posts

I recommend you spend some time examining the differences between a GTS and GT4. It is one of the rare performance bargains in the Porsche bin.

Not saying the GT4 is “better” or other subjective descriptions like “more collectible”…just understand the differences and your use case.
Old 07-02-2023, 10:58 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Originally Posted by Corgi171
While I do agree the GT4 is more collectible. I've heard several people say the GTS is that sweet spot where you have the flat 6, enough luxury and comfort, but also a good performance sports car in terms of 718. Considering the GTS will also be discontinued, someone who wants a 718 but not the rugged/stiff track oriented style car would probably want a GTS over the GT4 no?

I'm still considering the used GT4 but it's used, alcantara (not a fan), stiff bucket seats (I have a 3 hour drive back from Houston to Austin), and I'm paying more in terms of my loan, maintenance, insurance, etc I feel like a GTS is good enough for that price range especially when I can spec the car to what I want in it.
I've heard that too, probably by the same people that say the GTS and GT4 are basically the same car except for a wing and say stupid stuff how the GTS is a GT4 touring, but then get really mad if you point out that the GTS is technically closer to a base model than a GT4. Then they ramble on about how this is a GT4 elitist forum and how persecuted they are lol.

So some GTS owners will say they have the sweet spot, Some GT4 owners will tell you they picked the one you want. They both have very specific advantages but there is no way either one is the sweet spot everyone should get. As TXshaggy says you need to find out which one is the sweet spot for you.

Honestly IMO if any model is the sweet spot, it's the base model optioned up a tiny bit as it provides the most bang for buck and also likely won't depreciate bad (since there will always be a market for getting into A porsche sports car, any porsche sports car. It's also why base macans have crazy good resale value). If the T wasn't so rare and so much more than the base i'd say that is the sweet spot. '300hp', especially with pdk, is fast. I was instructing in one of those on the track recently and when I looked at the speedo on the straight as we were barely falling behind a GTS 911, I believe the words my brain said was WTF. The S with '350hp' is actually about as fast around a track as the old GT4 is. If you're ok with a turbo, consider the other options IMO.
The following 2 users liked this post by Zhao:
cbracerx (07-03-2023), kwikit356 (07-04-2023)
Old 07-03-2023, 07:23 AM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,134 Likes on 639 Posts

I've heard that too, probably by the same people that say the GTS and GT4 are basically the same car except for a wing and say stupid stuff how the GTS is a GT4 touring, but then get really mad if you point out that the GTS is technically closer to a base model than a GT4. Then they ramble on about how this is a GT4 elitist forum and how persecuted they are lol.

So some GTS owners will say they have the sweet spot, Some GT4 owners will tell you they picked the one you want. They both have very specific advantages but there is no way either one is the sweet spot everyone should get. As TXshaggy says you need to find out which one is the sweet spot for you.

Honestly IMO if any model is the sweet spot, it's the base model optioned up a tiny bit as it provides the most bang for buck and also likely won't depreciate bad (since there will always be a market for getting into A porsche sports car, any porsche sports car. It's also why base macans have crazy good resale value). If the T wasn't so rare and so much more than the base i'd say that is the sweet spot. '300hp', especially with pdk, is fast. I was instructing in one of those on the track recently and when I looked at the speedo on the straight as we were barely falling behind a GTS 911, I believe the words my brain said was WTF. The S with '350hp' is actually about as fast around a track as the old GT4 is. If you're ok with a turbo, consider the other options IMO.
GT4 elitists who think 911s aren't sports cars. Don't forget that one.
Pcar81 (07-24-2023)
Old 07-03-2023, 08:04 AM
Eric2016
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default drive them

I have a 981 Cayman GTS and a 718 GT4, and I enjoy them both. The GT4 has the CFRP seats, which I find more comfortable for long trips than the sport seats in the GTS. I don't drive the GT4 very often except when I'm going to the track, which I do frequently. The GT4 is too loud and stiff for driving around town on a regular basis. The ride gets better the faster you go. On the track, the GT4 is awesome. The GTS is also fun on the track. It comes down to your priorities. Drive the three options you're considering and go from there.
The following 2 users liked this post by Eric2016:
borivojc (07-20-2023), Corgi171 (07-03-2023)
Old 07-03-2023, 11:35 AM
Corgi171
Track Day

Originally Posted by Eric2016
I have a 981 Cayman GTS and a 718 GT4, and I enjoy them both. The GT4 has the CFRP seats, which I find more comfortable for long trips than the sport seats in the GTS. I don't drive the GT4 very often except when I'm going to the track, which I do frequently. The GT4 is too loud and stiff for driving around town on a regular basis. The ride gets better the faster you go. On the track, the GT4 is awesome. The GTS is also fun on the track. It comes down to your priorities. Drive the three options you're considering and go from there.
Agreed, for my needs I think the GTS is enough. A decent weekend/fun car that I could track but also practical for daily use. It's enough for me and overpaying for a used GT4 (although resale may be better), I feel like I would enjoy the GTS more.
The following 2 users liked this post by Corgi171:
borivojc (07-20-2023), pkalhan (07-03-2023)
Old 07-03-2023, 12:59 PM
bulkychipmonk
Instructor

Received 89 Likes on 49 Posts

Honest answer… you are not going to find the answers here. Too many opinions. Go and drive each, in as many conditions as you can, and decide from there. Drive the 911, the 718 base, GTS 4.0 and GT4. One more opinion… If you find the driving experience of the 718 GTS 4.0 closer to the base than the GT4, save yourself the money and buy a Camry

In all seriousness, whatever you land on will be the right car for you. And that’s all that matters. Enjoy!
pkalhan (07-03-2023)
Old 07-03-2023, 04:24 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Originally Posted by bulkychipmonk
Honest answer… you are not going to find the answers here. Too many opinions. Go and drive each, in as many conditions as you can, and decide from there. Drive the 911, the 718 base, GTS 4.0 and GT4. One more opinion… If you find the driving experience of the 718 GTS 4.0 closer to the base than the GT4, save yourself the money and buy a Camry

In all seriousness, whatever you land on will be the right car for you. And that’s all that matters. Enjoy!
I'm scratching my head on how you couldn't find the gts 4.0 closer to a base than a gt4.
Old 07-03-2023, 05:00 PM
Patrick3000
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by Corgi171
Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum and a first time buyer. I'm currently waiting on some allocations for the GTS 4.0. I also realized that a used CPO 911 Carrera is around the same price. What is everyone's opinion on which car to get for the same price? I like both models and either works for me. I'm not in a rush to get a car asap.

Also, considering the 718 is going full electric in 2025, would this help the resale value of the GTS? I'm not planning on selling but curious if I need to. Thanks!

One of my favorite 911’s that I sold and wished that I didn’t was a 50th Anniversary

Please go have a look in person and drive one if you can, manual for the win
Old 07-03-2023, 10:30 PM
bulkychipmonk
Instructor

Received 89 Likes on 49 Posts

I'm scratching my head on how you couldn't find the gts 4.0 closer to a base than a gt4.
I’m not a qualified doctor but I prescribe you one test drive of the base cayman and one test drive of the GTS 4.0, twice a day, for one week. If the symptoms persist, visit your nearest Toyota dealer
Old 07-04-2023, 01:27 AM
Zhao
Drifting

There are tons of threads on should i do a GT4 or a GTS because it is a complicated as heck question, but no one asks the question between base/S/GTS because that answer is very simple and comes down to, do you want to pay extra for a bunch of options included as standard and the 4.0L? Yes/no? easy.

The base and GTS are literally configurable almost exactly the same, except for having different engines and a LSD that only like 5% of non gt owners care about and bigger brakes that are for show.

Quick Reply: New Cayman 718 GTS 4.0 or Used 911 Carrera?