Notices
718 Forum 982 (718) 2016-Current Discussions about 718 Boxster Cayman Variants
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Cayman 718 GTS 4.0 or Used 911 Carrera?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2023, 07:55 AM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,139 Likes on 641 Posts

Originally Posted by Zhao
I'm scratching my head on how you couldn't find the gts 4.0 closer to a base than a gt4.
There are tons of threads on should i do a GT4 or a GTS because it is a complicated as heck question, but no one asks the question between base/S/GTS because that answer is very simple and comes down to, do you want to pay extra for a bunch of options included as standard and the 4.0L? Yes/no? easy.

The base and GTS are literally configurable almost exactly the same, except for having different engines and a LSD that only like 5% of non gt owners care about and bigger brakes that are for show.
Are you trolling?
Old 07-04-2023, 03:35 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,794 Likes on 982 Posts

Are you? Why don't you tell me how they differ?
Old 07-04-2023, 09:14 PM
doug751
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 22 Posts

In 2021 I bought a loaded 2.0 base manual Cayman 718 that was in stock at a dealer on a whim. Yes it was very fast and great on the track, but compared to air cooled 911’s that I previously owned, it lacked something. I knew right away that I wanted something else….

I ordered GTS 4.0 about 2 weeks after picking up base Cayman. I waited a year for my GTS 4.0, and during that time I drove the base Cayman on back country roads, on tracks and on highways. It was fun, and was a very fast car, and I have no doubt that it exceeded my needs or capabilities. However, it was not a flat six Porsche.

When I left the Porsche dealer in my new manual transmission GTS 4.0 on a cold rainy day, all I could think / say was “what the f*@#k holy heck?”. I never had a chance to test drive one prior to ordering, and I was truly shocked when I pulled away from that dealer. What a difference in feel and sound. The taller gears and the torque curve, which builds as you rev, make it ideal for back roads in Michigan, the freeways here and the race track. Many people don’t think it’s right for suburban driving, but here in Metro Detroit it works great because we do not have police officers trying ticket us for 5 or 10 miles an hour over the speed limit to earn revenue.

I need to apologize in advance if I am insulting anybody by describing my experience. That is not my intention but also feel it is my responsibility to describe my experience. If you have the financial means and want a car to keep, get the GTS 4.0 over the 4 cylinder 718 because It is big jump in enjoyment and probably better for long term resale value. You will lose $10k to $15k if you do what I did and buy the four-cylinder Cayman or Boxster and then change your mind to trade up to the GTS 4.0. I know nothing about the GT4 or Spyder so I cannot comment on them. And I have never owned or even driven a modern water cooled 911.

Here’s the other side of the coin. I recently purchased a four-cylinder Macan for daily driving. My buyers remorse from the 2.0 Macan is pretty high. I didn’t seriously test drive one nor understand how big of a difference it would be from a six cylinder Macan. It really is quite a bit different and I notice the engine every time I drive it, and it bothers me. The four-cylinder Cayman was never like that, it was still a lot of fun to drive and sounded cool / but different and it felt good.

Good luck with your decision.

The following 5 users liked this post by doug751:
borivojc (07-20-2023), pkalhan (12-23-2023), SunnySF (07-27-2023), UncleDude (07-05-2023), WillyDaP (07-04-2023)
Old 07-04-2023, 09:19 PM
Corgi171
Track Day

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by doug751
In 2021 I bought a loaded 2.0 base manual Cayman 718 that was in stock at a dealer on a whim. Yes it was very fast and great on the track, but compared to air cooled 911’s that I previously owned, it lacked something. I knew right away that I wanted something else….

I ordered GTS 4.0 about 2 weeks after picking up base Cayman. I waited a year for my GTS 4.0, and during that time I drove the base Cayman on back country roads, on tracks and on highways. It was fun, and was a very fast car, and I have no doubt that it exceeded my needs or capabilities. However, it was not a flat six Porsche.

When I left the Porsche dealer in my new manual transmission GTS 4.0 on a cold rainy day, all I could think / say was “what the f*@#k holy heck?”. I never had a chance to test drive one prior to ordering, and I was truly shocked when I pulled away from that dealer. What a difference in feel and sound. The taller gears and the torque curve, which builds as you rev, make it ideal for back roads in Michigan, the freeways here and the race track. Many people don’t think it’s right for suburban driving, but here in Metro Detroit it works great because we do not have police officers trying ticket us for 5 or 10 miles an hour over the speed limit to earn revenue.

I need to apologize in advance if I am insulting anybody by describing my experience. That is not my intention but also feel it is my responsibility to describe my experience. If you have the financial means and want a car to keep, get the GTS 4.0 over the 4 cylinder 718 because It is big jump in enjoyment and probably better for long term resale value. You will lose $10k to $15k if you do what I did and buy the four-cylinder Cayman or Boxster and then change your mind to trade up to the GTS 4.0. I know nothing about the GT4 or Spyder so I cannot comment on them. And I have never owned or even driven a modern water cooled 911.

Here’s the other side of the coin. I recently purchased a four-cylinder Macan for daily driving. My buyers remorse from the 2.0 Macan is pretty high. I didn’t seriously test drive one nor understand how big of a difference it would be from a six cylinder Macan. It really is quite a bit different and I notice the engine every time I drive it, and it bothers me. The four-cylinder Cayman was never like that, it was still a lot of fun to drive and sounded cool / but different and it felt good.

Good luck with your decision.

Thanks Doug,

I think I'm pretty set on the CGTS40. I can justify the price and it's a good blend of practical daily use as well as a track capable car. I'm not trying to break records, just enjoying my time on the track as I engage with the car. Doesn't make sense to buy an inflated used car even if it is a better long term value. If I'm spending this much money I really need to enjoy all of it all the time. I'm just patiently waiting for the next round of allocations and have been calling all over the country for MSRP. So far I found 2 but still need to find more just in case.
The following users liked this post:
pkalhan (07-04-2023)
Old 07-04-2023, 09:37 PM
doug751
Racer

There is one major difference between the 911 and the GTS 4.0 that I should point out.

If you go on a long drive, and you get tired in a 911, you can recline the seat and take a nap. You cannot do that in a Cayman or Boxster because the engine is behind the seat.

The other issue is, if you have long legs, you can’t get the seat back far enough to relax your left leg on a long trip. What you end up doing is taking your foot off the the rest pedal and putting a straight forward behind the clutch, which is not totally safe. Or you end up folding your leg with your knee up in the air.

so, I guess you should consider that also. It’s not as important to me because it’s not my daily driver.

Old 07-04-2023, 09:42 PM
Corgi171
Track Day

There is one major difference between the 911 and the GTS 4.0 that I should point out.

If you go on a long drive, and you get tired in a 911, you can recline the seat and take a nap. You cannot do that in a Cayman or Boxster because the engine is behind the seat.

The other issue is, if you have long legs, you can’t get the seat back far enough to relax your left leg on a long trip. What you end up doing is taking your foot off the the rest pedal and putting a straight forward behind the clutch, which is not totally safe. Or you end up folding your leg with your knee up in the air.

so, I guess you should consider that also. It’s not as important to me because it’s not my daily driver.
Those are great insights thank you! I have a 4runner for my daily and long trips so the Porsche will most likely be a weekend/track car. I appreciate your help and info
Old 07-04-2023, 09:50 PM
doug751
Racer

Have fun with your Cayman or Boxster!
Old 07-05-2023, 06:01 AM
GrandPaJohn
Pro

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts

Good points. I will add that on long trips with two people, there isn't any extra room for other stuff like snacks, small cooler, laptop, pet, etc.
Old 07-05-2023, 07:07 AM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Are you? Why don't you tell me how they differ?
I think Doug did a pretty good job in his post immediately after yours.

Why do you honestly think an engine doesn't make that much of a difference in the experience of driving a car? Why do you list it as an "option" like, "only the engine is different"? That is pure insanity to me.

But at the same time a few bouncy things up front and a wing is some mind-bending alteration in the driving experience? But not the engine...

I don't know why I do this, respond to cognitive dissonance on the internet. Congratulations, troll successful.
Old 07-05-2023, 02:28 PM
EMpunker
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 156 Posts

Depends on the 911. 997.1? sure if it's a manual. 997.2? hot. 991.1 meh, go newer or older. 991.2 if you are ok with turbos definitely, best interior and exterior looks. 992, yuk, make sure there is a good return policy...
I agree with ↑

If it's a 996 or 992 then I'd say get the 718.
Old 07-05-2023, 03:23 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,794 Likes on 982 Posts

Originally Posted by manifold danger
I think Doug did a pretty good job in his post immediately after yours.

Why do you honestly think an engine doesn't make that much of a difference in the experience of driving a car? Why do you list it as an "option" like, "only the engine is different"? That is pure insanity to me.

But at the same time a few bouncy things up front and a wing is some mind-bending alteration in the driving experience? But not the engine...

I don't know why I do this, respond to cognitive dissonance on the internet. Congratulations, troll successful.
So all that for you to agree the only real base/GTS difference is the engine. The GTS/GT4 has a pretty big list of differences from structural to sound, and technically engine as well. Thx for confirming my point.

Last edited by Zhao; 07-05-2023 at 03:25 PM.
Old 07-06-2023, 01:23 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

So all that for you to agree the only real base/GTS difference is the engine. The GTS/GT4 has a pretty big list of differences from structural to sound, and technically engine as well. Thx for confirming my point.
engine > bouncy pieces
The following 2 users liked this post by manifold danger:
bulkychipmonk (07-07-2023), pkalhan (07-08-2023)
Old 07-07-2023, 08:07 AM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Received 4,020 Likes on 1,740 Posts

Originally Posted by Corgi171
Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum and a first time buyer. I'm currently waiting on some allocations for the GTS 4.0. I also realized that a used CPO 911 Carrera is around the same price. What is everyone's opinion on which car to get for the same price? I like both models and either works for me. I'm not in a rush to get a car asap.

Also, considering the 718 is going full electric in 2025, would this help the resale value of the GTS? I'm not planning on selling but curious if I need to. Thanks!
I have a 2022 CGTS and have 1500 miles on a 2023 911T. The bottom line is that they are completely different cars, shockingly different. You really need to drive both, really drive them, to see which you prefer TO DRIVE. Meaning, if you can really take everything else out of the decision that was said above, like looks, cargo space, desire to own a 911 (which is a big factor for many), etc. then it's just about how they each drive, and some of that is personal preference anyway.

There are things I like about both of my cars, but overall, if I could only keep one it would be the CGTS 4.0 because I prefer how it drives, steers, shifts (both cars are manuals), and the NA engine sounds MUCH better. The only two places that the 992 excels over the CGTS in terms of driving are: brakes & traction. I'm looking into changes on the brakes for the 718, but traction on the 911 accelerating out of a turn is incredible.

But for my Sophie's choice, I'm keeping the Cayman. I can always look at pictures of the 911 after I'm done driving the incredible mid-engine machine.
The following 3 users liked this post by AdamIsAdam:
borivojc (07-20-2023), pkalhan (12-23-2023), UncleDude (07-12-2023)
Old 07-07-2023, 04:41 PM
rhody718
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Corgi171
Those are great insights thank you! I have a 4runner for my daily and long trips so the Porsche will most likely be a weekend/track car. I appreciate your help and info
Ha, are you me? I also have a 4runner as my daily.

Getting back on topic though, I just traded in my 991.2 Carrera T for a GTS 4.0 allocation. It's coming in October and I can't wait!

The following 2 users liked this post by rhody718:
Corgi171 (07-07-2023), WillyDaP (07-07-2023)
Old 07-07-2023, 04:42 PM
Corgi171
Track Day

Originally Posted by rhody718
Ha, are you me? I also have a 4runner as my daily.

Getting back on topic though, I just traded in my 991.2 Carrera T for a GTS 4.0 allocation. It's coming in October and I can't wait!
Congrats! Which dealership? I'm asking around everywhere to find one but it's been impossible.

Quick Reply: New Cayman 718 GTS 4.0 or Used 911 Carrera?