Sponsored by:

2025MY Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2023, 03:34 AM
revanthmatha
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2025MY Questions

Let me start out by saying I know there is no solid information about the changes to the 718. I'm trying to plan my future vehicle orders.

1) Will the 718 Ice be available alongside the EV?

2) Will the 718 ice interior/infotainment be updated to match the EV interior?

Any info related to these will be greatly appreciated. I would very much like to take delivery of a 2025 ice Boxster GTS with an updated infotainment if it exists. Otherwise I'll be looking at the 911 Carrera 4s.
The following users liked this post:
pkalhan (05-11-2023)
Old 05-10-2023, 06:47 AM
Guards Red Car
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

I am also somewhat confused and apprehensive about committing to a 2024 Boxster

I am looking to buy the Final Model Year of the internal combustion Boxster GTS 4.0 -- I really am in no rush, I would certainly wait one more year if the ICE Boxster will hang around until 2025

I am getting mixed signals from media/dealers etc about the final year of the ICE Boxster....Here's what Oliver Blume stated in March, 2023:

Porsche boss Oliver Blume discussed the future for these 718 models while outlining the new Road to 20 plan at the company’s annual press conference. As part of Porsche’s pivot to electrified powertrains, Blume said the all-electric 718 is planned for the “middle of this decade.”That sounds like bad news for folks who like the current, gasoline-fueled Cayman coupes and Boxster roadsters. Well, there’s some relief: it’s not happening all at once. Blume notes the battery-electric 718 will launch in parallel with the next internal-combustion version. Though, that will be temporary, and the apparent plan is to end internal-combustion models eventually.

https://newsroom.porsche.com/en_US/2...ort-31543.html

My sales associate (with whom I have a great relationship) has had me on the Boxster GTS "Wait List" for about 9 months...here's what he wrote to me yesterday --

"Great news, we have an October production allocation for your 2024 Boxster GTS order
Our current pricing structure is M.S.R.P. plus $1,295 PSMP Plus 1 (may go up for 2024’s), $2,495 Ceramic Pro, $2,895 front Xpel Clear Film, and a minor $5,000 market adjustment"

In truth, I would be willing to pay an ADM for this car, however, I would be disappointed if I bought a 2024 and then Porsche rolled out the Final ICE Boxster GTS 4.0 for 2025
K MAN S (06-18-2023)
Old 05-10-2023, 07:31 AM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,142 Likes on 642 Posts

First of all it's pretty safe to say that no one really knows, and if they did it would likely be Porsche confidential information.

What I will say is almost certain to not happen is any sort of significant upgrades. The only thing that I wouldn't be completely shocked about would be an infotainment upgrade to finally include Android Auto, but even that feels like an infinitesimal likelihood of happening. There's just no reason for Porsche to pursue any sort of incentive for more buyers for an announced end-of-life platform... in fact, the trend is going in the opposite direction as all signs are pointing to a wind-down in production as they've shifted manufacturing to Osnabruck, as less options are now available (e.g., aventurine green, carrara white, contrast stitching, LWBS, etc... I honestly haven't been keeping track of the full list as I've had my car for a few months now).

I definitely don't get the appeal of having "the final model year". Why? For "collector reasons", where it might be worth a few more bucks in a couple years? For conversations at cars and coffee? Unless something completely unpredictable happens, there will be extremely minor differences from a 2021 car all the way through the end of the current generation production run. There's absolutely minimal gain to be had by risking not getting a car at all if you're passing up an allocation now.

I don't like all the add-ons attached but I don't know your location. I personally would grudgingly accept adding aftermarket things that actually provide at least some sort of value, although $2500 for ceramic is INSANE and $3k for front PPF is a ripoff. But the $5k for just the privilege of taking your money is a slap in the face, and I could understand walking away from that... but not because you "have to have the last year". Not worth the risk, for not really anything of substantial guaranteed value.

edit- speaking of value, if you think you want the final model year because of value, you'll still almost certainly come in at a negative once you factor in all the add-ons and ADM anyway. No way I'd believe a similarly equipped 2025 will fetch $8k more than a 2024 in a used market, I don't care if it's 100 years from now. If you want the car, get the car.

Last edited by manifold danger; 05-10-2023 at 07:34 AM.
The following 7 users liked this post by manifold danger:
kwikit356 (05-10-2023), ldamelio (05-10-2023), OttawaSteve (05-10-2023), TubaFreak (05-10-2023), TXRubicon (05-11-2023), wizee (05-12-2023), Z06jerry (05-13-2023) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-10-2023, 07:37 AM
ldamelio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,061 Likes on 583 Posts

Seconding manifold danger here. There will not be an big infotainment upgrade in the last model year or two. Engineering and production costs would make no sense for a low volume outgoing platform. It will be 8 years old at that point. Some would say 12 and lump in the 981 which is a very similar platform.

But no one buys a Porsche sports car for the infotainment. The info is on the tachometer and the entertainment is in the seat of your pants.
The following 5 users liked this post by ldamelio:
cbracerx (05-14-2023), GTSPYDER23 (05-12-2023), kwikit356 (05-10-2023), manifold danger (05-10-2023), Z06jerry (05-13-2023)
Old 05-10-2023, 04:18 PM
sanderabernathy
Rennlist Member

Received 806 Likes on 362 Posts

The order books were full with no remaining allocations when they announced the end of GT4 production. Once the end date was known, it was too late to order one. No reason to think it will be any different with the other flavors of the 718.

If you want the car and have an opportunity to buy it, buy it.

And no, they aren't upgrading it or offering additional options. The trend is going in the opposite direction with fewer, rather than more, choices available.
Old 05-10-2023, 06:20 PM
Xxyion
Drifting

Received 1,549 Likes on 863 Posts

A many have echoed above, i would not wait and attempt to get a final year model. As many people experienced and saw with the GT4 when it ended production, many people were left deciding to get the car or pass because some options just weren't available anymore. Certain colors start going away as well and makes it harder to customize the car of your choice. Not to mention ADM might be higher. I remember 2022 ADMs were seen to drop to almost 10k for Spyders and GT4s, but near the end people started seeing ADMs jump back up.

My advice is to get it now while you can, while ADMs are low and while options are still available.
Old 05-10-2023, 07:54 PM
OldJedi
Burning Brakes

Received 599 Likes on 292 Posts

I have to agree with everyone else above. It makes no sense to retool a model in its final year of production for one year. Maybe a special paint color or decal package but not the basic car. I don’t know your area or dealer but no matter how you cut it, they are adding 10K for the privilege of selling you a car. If you want a new GTS 4.0 then go for it.
Old 05-10-2023, 08:06 PM
Unstock
Pro

Received 503 Likes on 211 Posts

Just a guess but ill say NO, NO
Old 05-10-2023, 10:01 PM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,863 Likes on 1,010 Posts

My understanding is you can expect to have even more options removed for the final run. If you just want a last model year car, whatever. But if you want to actually configure it a specific way I think you might be in for a shock. Plus it's not like a last model run GTS is going to be some sorta niche collector level car. I had a boss who got the last 991.2 4S allocation. If you think that has any value other than a story that is cool for about 5 minutes, it does not.
Old 05-11-2023, 11:47 AM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 311 Likes on 175 Posts

Seems to me that this plan has backfired. By passing on a 2023 allocation you're going to pay more and LOSE the CD player. So you actually get a downgraded infotainment system... not that anyone was using the CD player anyway.

If you're thinking of this as an investment, then the only thing that's going to matter a decade from now will be the mileage. A low mileage 2023 will be worth exactly the same as a low mileage 24 or 25 but you'd have paid thousands less for the 23.
manifold danger (05-12-2023)
Old 05-11-2023, 10:21 PM
TXRubicon
Burning Brakes

Received 925 Likes on 369 Posts

The price between what my 2023 GTS cost me (was price protected at a 2022) and what the 2024 costs now is nearly a $9k difference. The prices will only continue to climb. Do you think your final model year will be worth $6-9k more than a 2023 or even a 2024 when you go to sell it? Not a chance unless the car goes in a vault and ends up being one of those 100 mile from new cars 15-20 years from now.

Originally Posted by Guards Red Car
In truth, I would be willing to pay an ADM for this car, however, I would be disappointed if I bought a 2024 and then Porsche rolled out the Final ICE Boxster GTS 4.0 for 2025
manifold danger (05-12-2023)
Old 05-12-2023, 12:18 AM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,863 Likes on 1,010 Posts

No idea if OP is really looking for it to be a collector car but on that topic, 15-20 years is generally a crappy time to sell a car too. That's usually when they are rock bottom for price. 20-25 years is when they start to potentially appreciate.

And zero chance a GTS is a strong collectors car, especially if it has a PDK. People will be looking for the top models, a 4RS if they don't want a manual or GT4 manual. I've bought a lot of cars at rock bottom prices at 15 years old that are worth small fortunes now at 25-30 years old. The stuff that is worth a fortune is always the top end models, with a manual.
rwm (05-13-2023)
Old 05-12-2023, 08:09 AM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,142 Likes on 642 Posts

Originally Posted by Zhao
No idea if OP is really looking for it to be a collector car but on that topic, 15-20 years is generally a crappy time to sell a car too. That's usually when they are rock bottom for price. 20-25 years is when they start to potentially appreciate.

And zero chance a GTS is a strong collectors car, especially if it has a PDK. People will be looking for the top models, a 4RS if they don't want a manual or GT4 manual. I've bought a lot of cars at rock bottom prices at 15 years old that are worth small fortunes now at 25-30 years old. The stuff that is worth a fortune is always the top end models, with a manual.
I disagree with this take. It's impossible to judge how the PDK models will be perceived in the collector market because there is no precedent. There are no cars that have a dual-clutch transmission that are 20 years old. Modern dual-clutch transmissions and even some torque converter autos like the ZF are actually more performant, and fun to drive in their own ways vs the slushbox autos of yesteryear.

The closest you can get is cars like the E46 M3 or F430. Complete beta attempts at a new technology, and that factors in hugely into why the manuals go for such a premium.

I don't disagree that manuals will be worth more in the long run, but how much more is still very much in question. In my completely uneducated opinion.

Edit- also, I don't think any car short of the RS models will be "true" collector cars anyway. I'm just talking in the sense of appreciating value, like the air-cooled cars are experiencing today. They're not "collector" cars per se, but they're highly desirable.

But back on topic- this "last model year" thing is clearly a fallacy. I didn't even consider the year-over-year MSRP increase, let alone ADM, let alone missing out on getting a car entirely. If it sounds like we're piling on, it's because we are.

Last edited by manifold danger; 05-12-2023 at 08:12 AM.
ldamelio (05-12-2023)
Old 03-05-2024, 07:33 PM
boss2k
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 99 Posts

Congrats on the allocation, that was quick

If you are specing out a brand new why wouldn't you choose a manual if you know how to drive one and also look at Agate grey if you like this green color
Old 03-05-2024, 07:43 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,916 Likes on 2,216 Posts

Looks like a related thread necro bump.

OP is long gone.

Quick Reply: 2025MY Questions