Sponsored by:

Route Recommendations NC and GA

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2022, 12:51 PM
sanderabernathy
Rennlist Member

Received 806 Likes on 362 Posts
Default Route Recommendations NC and GA

@confused66 indicated they were planning a trip in the next couple of months and asked for route recommendations in western North Carolina and north Georgia. I took the time to pull some recommendations together and thought I would share with the group. I created a route that starts in Franklin, NC and hits the following:
  • Wayah Road
  • Forest Service Road 711 (Road to Nowhere)
  • US129 from Robbinsville to Tennessee which includes the Tail of the Dragon
  • Cherohala Skyway
  • Fontana Dam Road
  • Blood Mountain (US 19)
  • Richard B. Russell Scenic Parkway (GA 180)
  • GA60 to Suches
  • Wolf Pen Gap (GA 180)
I've struggled to post the Google Maps files but here are the waypoints that you can drop in. I've driven these roads in groups and alone and while I can find them and know them, I'm not the expert. Please feel free to post recommendations and corrections.

Waypoints:
  • Franklin, NC
  • Nantahala Lake Scenic Overlook (on Forest Service Road 711)
  • Robbinsville, NC
  • Vonore, TN
  • Ebenezer Ballplay Church (not in the screenshot below but allows you to take 360 which looks interesting)
  • Cherohala Skyway
  • Tapoco Lodge
  • Fontana Dam
  • Robbinsville, NC
  • Blairsville GA
  • Russell-Brasstown Scenic Byway (take it all the way to the end and turn around and go back)
  • Sunrise Grocery and River Cabins
  • US-19, Dahlonega, GA 30533 (Waypoint isn't specific. You want to continue south on US 19 from Sunrise Grocery and take a right on GA60 to Suches)
  • Suches, GA
  • Vogel State Park at US19

The following 2 users liked this post by sanderabernathy:
allen986 (01-01-2023), c1pher (12-28-2022)
Old 12-28-2022, 02:52 PM
c1pher
Rennlist Member

Received 810 Likes on 463 Posts

Maybe put these in the newly revitalized Roads app?
Old 12-28-2022, 05:16 PM
sanderabernathy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by c1pher
Maybe put these in the newly revitalized Roads app?
I had the Road app installed a while back and deleted it. At your suggestion, I downloaded it again. It has some good routes in there. Getting a route in there proved very difficult. You can't do it on a computer and there aren't sufficient details in the phone app to specify the waypoints. The solution is to create a GPX file. I may give that a try.

Having said all of that. If you are wanting a fun route for a drive in a new area you might try the roads app. You can pick your location, direction, and duration and it will recommend a route nearby that meets the requirements. However, it's a random route and there's no way to judge whether it is for you or not.

The following users liked this post:
c1pher (12-28-2022)
Old 12-28-2022, 11:41 PM
c1pher
Rennlist Member

Received 810 Likes on 463 Posts

The first version of the app was terrible, and not sure what they did, but it’s much improved now.
Old 12-29-2022, 11:40 PM
Bill Mitchell
Pro

Received 419 Likes on 205 Posts

I've driven most of these routes, not all inthe same trip, or even the same year, but they are great driving roads. I recommend the website Sixgap.com, which includes some of your routes. I've never had much luck with the Roads app.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bill Mitchell:
ElCid86 (12-30-2022), sanderabernathy (12-31-2022)
Old 12-31-2022, 07:06 PM
Bill Mitchell
Pro

Received 419 Likes on 205 Posts

After commenting on this topic I started looking at various websites about the area, so many good drivingvroads I'm planning to go back myself soon. We'll probably stay at Forrest Hills Suites resort outside Dahlonega, and one must see this time will be Brasstown Bald, highest point in GA. I hope to do the six gaps plus several other roads in the area oferc2-3 days. We stayed one night at Forrest Hills Suites last time and it's a good base camp for driving the area. Good food too.
Old 12-31-2022, 09:58 PM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Received 1,882 Likes on 914 Posts

I'm not finding the Roads app in the Play Store. Does it go by another name?
Old 12-31-2022, 10:52 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,916 Likes on 2,216 Posts

Originally Posted by MaddMike
In the Apple Store search for Porsche.

Roads by Porsche
Old 01-01-2023, 08:20 PM
daaa nope
Burning Brakes

Received 583 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by MaddMike
If by "Play Store" you mean the Google Play Store.... I think you're out of luck. As far as I know the Porsche Roads app is Apple-only.

As for some of these routes - all good ones listed. I just moved to Atlanta over this past Memorial Day but have explored a lot of these roads... and man it's super nice to have these all in my backyard! If there winds up being a Rennlist gathering... post up. Would love to cruise out and meet a few other RL'ers!
Old 01-03-2023, 05:11 PM
DreiPedals
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 69 Posts

Great shares here, will be saving this post. I try to make one trip annually into the Blue Ridge just to drive the lovely tarmac, this spring is proving difficult to earmark a weekend, so this time I might do a fall visit. It's not the easiest trip for me to plan coming from the NYC area and at the age that I now avoid driving at night; but the trip happening in 2023 will be necessary for me and the 718.

I note that the OP here is largely proposing round-ish routes, but my insight says that the Cherohala Skyway should have been pointed out or acknowledged stand-alone as an incredible stretch to drive. Added to that, if you've got any reason to go south, I would recommend a half-day itinerary starting in Waynesville looking like, Robbinsville to Tellico Plains (Cherohala), then take the Unicoi Tpk south towards/through Turtletown (I took it to ATL once, and the first 3/4 of the route was very nice driving though I admit it's been a few years since). FWIW, I seek out spaghetti looking roads on almost every trip I've taken over the past 20 years; the Cherohala Skyway is at the #1 spot on the most enjoyable roads I've been privileged to attack list. There are some canyons in CA that make a great argument, but then I'd have to go to CA and deal with their residents, so Cherohala stays as my MVP.

I'm so jealous of the roads you locals get to have nearby - and I can't really complain much as we do have mountains and scenic drives in my area, not somewhere flat as paper like Florida.

Last edited by DreiPedals; 01-03-2023 at 05:19 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by DreiPedals:
GrandPaJohn (01-04-2023), sanderabernathy (01-04-2023)
Old 01-04-2023, 01:35 PM
sanderabernathy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DreiPedals
Great shares here, will be saving this post. I try to make one trip annually into the Blue Ridge just to drive the lovely tarmac, this spring is proving difficult to earmark a weekend, so this time I might do a fall visit. It's not the easiest trip for me to plan coming from the NYC area and at the age that I now avoid driving at night; but the trip happening in 2023 will be necessary for me and the 718.

I note that the OP here is largely proposing round-ish routes, but my insight says that the Cherohala Skyway should have been pointed out or acknowledged stand-alone as an incredible stretch to drive. Added to that, if you've got any reason to go south, I would recommend a half-day itinerary starting in Waynesville looking like, Robbinsville to Tellico Plains (Cherohala), then take the Unicoi Tpk south towards/through Turtletown (I took it to ATL once, and the first 3/4 of the route was very nice driving though I admit it's been a few years since). FWIW, I seek out spaghetti looking roads on almost every trip I've taken over the past 20 years; the Cherohala Skyway is at the #1 spot on the most enjoyable roads I've been privileged to attack list. There are some canyons in CA that make a great argument, but then I'd have to go to CA and deal with their residents, so Cherohala stays as my MVP.

I'm so jealous of the roads you locals get to have nearby - and I can't really complain much as we do have mountains and scenic drives in my area, not somewhere flat as paper like Florida.
Everyone has there taste in roads. No on likes traffic or tight law enforcement of course. But find the roads that are bendy enough to be enjoyable without being so tight that they are stressful is the challenge. I tend to agree that the Cherola strikes the right balance. Plus it has enough visibility that I don't worry about a head-on collision or dropping a wheel onto the shoulder and bending it at every corner. On that map, the road from the Dragon to Fontana Dam to Robbinsville is tighter than Cherohala but relaxed enough to be enjoyable. Also, I can't recommend Wayah Road and Forest Service Road 711 enough.
DreiPedals (01-09-2023)
Old 01-04-2023, 08:58 PM
drive95
Instructor

Received 102 Likes on 42 Posts

This triangle is quite nice, too.

Old 01-09-2023, 09:25 PM
Johnmark101
7th Gear

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Been riding that area for the last 19 years on my motorcycles and now with my Cayman. Cherohala Skyway is definitely the marquis road among them all. Route 28 from Deals Gap to near Robbinsville NC is a good one. Going up the south side of Blood Mountain in Georgia is a blast as well.

The Foothills Parkway is a great road, especially the newer section from where it crosses under 321 to Wears Valley.
DreiPedals (01-10-2023)

Quick Reply: Route Recommendations NC and GA