Sponsored by:

Newbie Question ECF

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2022, 11:52 PM
NapaCayman
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Newbie Question ECF

Had an error message come up saying “Error Control Fault. Consult workshop.” This was accompanied by a check engine light. It lasted about 2 days and one more at startup, GONE. Happened shortly after gas fill up. I had to use 91 octane. 93 was nowhere to be found. Does that matter? Thoughts?

Old 12-05-2022, 11:56 PM
c1pher
Rennlist Member

Received 810 Likes on 463 Posts

91 octane is fine AFAIK. Ideally you’re filling up at a top tier place but one tank somewhere else shouldn’t do that. Is it under warranty? If so I’d take to dealer. Could be a whole bunch of things like coil pack, spark plugs etc.
The following users liked this post:
NapaCayman (12-05-2022)
Old 12-06-2022, 12:02 AM
NapaCayman
Intermediate

Originally Posted by c1pher
91 octane is fine AFAIK. Ideally you’re filling up at a top tier place but one tank somewhere else shouldn’t do that. Is it under warranty? If so I’d take to dealer. Could be a whole bunch of things like coil pack, spark plugs etc.
No factory warranty. I did purchase the premium aftermarket warranty though. Like I said, it cleared. If it comes back then I’ll take her up there. Thanks!
Old 12-06-2022, 09:18 AM
ldamelio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,061 Likes on 583 Posts

Have you had cold weather there recently? I've gotten that twice when my car has sat and the battery has run down somewhat. The first time I was actually on my way to the dealer for annual service (January) and they informed me about it. I had been plugging my CTEK into the foot well and it wasn't charging properly after a power outage at my house. It happened again recently after the first really cold night and I didn't have the car plugged in.

In any event, consider the possibility that this is battery related and not fuel. 91 should be fine. It is unlikely that there is anything significant wrong with your car.

Last edited by ldamelio; 12-06-2022 at 09:21 AM.
NapaCayman (12-06-2022)
Old 12-06-2022, 09:27 AM
NapaCayman
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ldamelio
Have you had cold weather there recently? I've gotten that twice when my car has sat and the battery has run down somewhat. The first time I was actually on my way to the dealer for annual service (January) and they informed me about it. I had been plugging my CTEK into the foot well and it wasn't charging properly after a power outage at my house. It happened again recently after the first really cold night and I didn't have the car plugged in.

In any event, consider the possibility that this is battery related and not fuel. 91 should be fine. It is unlikely that there is anything significant wrong with your car.

You might be on to something here. I’m in Napa California and the temperature that evening/early morning dropped below freezing for the first time. I had ice all over the car. Your probably right.
Old 12-06-2022, 09:34 AM
ldamelio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,061 Likes on 583 Posts

I'm pretty sure. It's common. When it happened to me last year, I was crapping my pants. The car had just gone out of warranty (and had been tracked hard) and I was driving to the dealer for four year service. I was expecting a difficult conversation about a major repair and haggling over the warranty date and track use. The service advisor who signed me in knew immediately what it was before the car was even looked at. It just happened to me again on our first really cold night here (PA) last week. I just turned off the ignition at the first stop sign and restarted - instant cure. I'm now driving it less frequently so I just put it on the tender after every drive.

Last edited by ldamelio; 12-06-2022 at 09:36 AM.
Old 12-06-2022, 09:00 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,696 Likes on 1,102 Posts

Loose gas cap?
NapaCayman (12-07-2022)
Old 12-07-2022, 12:41 AM
NapaCayman
Intermediate

Originally Posted by worf928
Loose gas cap?
I don’t believe so. So far everything points to freezing temperatures. Thx for chiming in.

Quick Reply: Newbie Question ECF