Water pump replacement cost?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2022, 01:09 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Water pump replacement cost?

Had my 2017 718 2.0T with 29k miles in for an oil service and the Porsche dealer indicated on the ticket "Found coolant leaking from water pump externally into vacuum system. Recommend replacement of pump and cleaning/inspection of vacuum system to prevent further failures. Repairs declined at this time and added .7 gallons of coolant".
my dealer didn't give me a price for this work and I will probably take to an independent I trust anyway, just curious what the aprox cost for this work would be.
TIA.
Old 06-07-2022, 03:30 PM
Melbourne15
Banned

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

My Porsche dealer charged less than $1500 to replace my 718 water pump. Took less half a day.
Regards,
David
The following users liked this post:
Greg Fishman (06-07-2022)
Old 06-07-2022, 04:40 PM
rileyracing1
Three Wheelin'

Received 406 Likes on 285 Posts

$1100 would be around the norm .... Take it to an indy and install an oem or equivalent pump .
Greg Fishman (06-07-2022)
Old 06-29-2023, 01:26 PM
bgsntth
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Resurrecting this thread, as my 2017 Base 2.0 is now on its third water pump after a little over 20K miles. Cooling issues\water pump failures seems to be an issue with 2.0 718's. My extended warranty recently ended, but I do have a 2-year warranty now on this water pump, which is good as there was only about 2K miles between the second and third water pumps.
Old 06-29-2023, 06:23 PM
Highline-Autos.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 555 Likes on 408 Posts

@bgsntth are the replacement water pumps coming with their own extended warranty on just the specific part?

Official RECARO Automotive Retailer: www.highline-autos.com/product-category/recaro/

Highline Autos Magazine - Volume XXI, Issue 03 https://bit.ly/3wTsNzM

Old 06-30-2023, 12:54 PM
bgsntth
Racer

There is a two-year warranty on the specific part and service, as confirmed by my service advisor and the invoice. They actually utilized the parts\service warranty for the third water pump, as while I brought the car in for service to address the cooling issue before my extended warranty expired, they did not diagnose and confirm until after it expired.
Old 07-04-2023, 01:34 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 606 Likes on 407 Posts

Interesting.... On the 991.2, because so many pumps failed, Porsche extended the warranty out to 10 years if I recall correctly. It's basically the same design pump. There are some seals that fail causing the leak.

What mode are you guys driving in? I have a theory that those driving predominantly in normal mode see more failures because the coolant runs hotter, but I haven't seen enough data to make any correlation.
Old 07-05-2023, 05:39 PM
bgsntth
Racer

That is good to hear, as I just got a go to workshop cooling failure notice on my dash. Booked it in for an appointment in three weeks - soonest available.
Old 07-06-2023, 03:44 AM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by bgsntth
Resurrecting this thread, as my 2017 Base 2.0 is now on its third water pump after a little over 20K miles. Cooling issues\water pump failures seems to be an issue with 2.0 718's. My extended warranty recently ended, but I do have a 2-year warranty now on this water pump, which is good as there was only about 2K miles between the second and third water pumps.
What's your typical drive cycle like? Seems you do not put many miles on the car. When you are driving, what drive mode are you in predominantly? Normal or Sport? It seems a bit odd to me to be on our 3rd pump already with so few miles. The water pumps are variable. It uses vacuum to close the pump to reduce flow which allows the engine to warm up faster. There's a seal in the vacuum connection that can fail and that's how coolant ends up in the vacuum lines. Something about your duty cycle is causing that seal to fail relatively quickly.

Niels Johnson (12-20-2023)
Old 07-06-2023, 08:58 PM
bgsntth
Racer

Until the pandemic I was driving about 4-6K miles a year, which was primarily a 45 mile round trip commute to work (75% 60 - 85 mph and 25% 0-40 mph) 3 days a week. Since March 2020, I have averaged 1-2K miles a year, of which is primarily fun drives between 20 - 50miles of twisty 2nd gear roads. I do spend about 50% of the time in Sport. I will be putting about 3-5K miles on it a year going forward - new hybrid work schedule. Is running it in Sport the issue? I much prefer the clutch engagement from a dead stop and added noise that Sport provides.
Old 07-07-2023, 03:38 AM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

My current hypothesis is that NOT running in Sport is the issue. Running in Normal keeps the coolant significantly warmer to improve mileage; Porsche has to do everything they can to meet emissions, hence the complex variable pump. Running in Sport drops the coolant temps quite a bit. There's has to be some type of rubber seal in the water pump assembly and I'd guess it's made from EPDM rubber. EPDM is typically used for any kind of rubber gasket, o-rings, and coolant hoses. FKM/Viton, Buna-N/nitrile are other common elastomers. Any rubber seal is going to have an upper temperature service limit. I just did a quick google search and found this interesting results; EPDM shrinking at higher temperatures.

https://silicone.co.uk/news/silicone...ze%20to%2028mm.

My initial thought was just exposing the seals to higher coolant temps degrades them faster. But if extra heat is also causing the seals to shrink more, well, that creates leak paths. Purely hypothesis on my part.

Last edited by spdracerut; 07-07-2023 at 03:41 AM.
Old 11-16-2023, 01:01 PM
Birdie18
4th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

YHC—The sheet that you posted looks to be very similar to what I received from the dealership. I am all for someone making a reasonable profit on their labor, but it feels like our dealership is just gauging its customers. I had them do some basic service last week and the labor charged on things like replacing windshield wipers and the other work that I had them do was outrageous.
Old 02-18-2024, 06:54 PM
RennSportV8
Track Day

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Birdie18
YHC—The sheet that you posted looks to be very similar to what I received from the dealership. I am all for someone making a reasonable profit on their labor, but it feels like our dealership is just gauging its customers. I had them do some basic service last week and the labor charged on things like replacing windshield wipers and the other work that I had them do was outrageous.
The marriage between manufacturers and car dealers is a shotgun wedding. Don't expect to see any loving in that situation. Elon should have purchased Porsche instead of Twitter. Pardon the use of an old Singaporean saying but buying a Porsche is like eating strawberries in a ****house. It will never be just strawberries. Dealers are building personal empires instead of serving you and the manufacturer. They are the US health care system for cars. Show me the money comes first and they need plenty of it. I sent a letter to Porsche.de and it was forwarded to the US. Porsche does not exist in the US, just their cars. In a not so funny way, all Porsches sold in the US are CPO cars only difference between new and used is who is holding the policy.

Quick Reply: Water pump replacement cost?