Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When to paddle shift to first gear?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2021, 04:40 PM
BMorearty
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When to paddle shift to first gear?

On my Boxster with PDK I usually just let the automatic transmission do its thing. Once in a while I use the paddle shifters, though. But I never know when you're supposed to downshift to first when coming to a stop.

Are you supposed to downshift right after you've stopped? Or while coming to a stop? Downshifting into first feels very wrong before I've come to a complete stop, since I used to drive a manual.
Old 08-26-2021, 04:57 PM
El Crampitan
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I just pull both for neutral, or let the box do it's thing. To your point, shifting down into first very rarely has the right feel to it.
The following users liked this post:
BMorearty (08-26-2021)
Old 08-26-2021, 08:26 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,727 Likes on 1,048 Posts

You can just let pdk do it’s thing. If you want it to be more aggressive change to sport / sport+
the turbo 4 cylinder have a lot of low range torque and you very rarely have any need to use 1st while rolling. Hairpin uphill turn maybe, like in a multi level parking garage …
the NA 6 cylinder is a different story, and 1st is a real driving gear. Whip it. Whip it good. It runs to over 30mph. Don’t lug the engine. Drive in 1st.
BMorearty (08-26-2021)
Old 08-27-2021, 06:17 AM
GregWormald
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by BMorearty
On my Boxster with PDK I usually just let the automatic transmission do its thing. Once in a while I use the paddle shifters, though. But I never know when you're supposed to downshift to first when coming to a stop.

Are you supposed to downshift right after you've stopped? Or while coming to a stop? Downshifting into first feels very wrong before I've come to a complete stop, since I used to drive a manual.
Unless you want the engine braking you can just leave it in second and the PDK will go to first by itself.
BMorearty (08-27-2021)
Old 08-27-2021, 03:34 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,696 Likes on 1,102 Posts

Originally Posted by El Crampitan
I just pull both for neutral, or let the box do it's thing. To your point, shifting down into first very rarely has the right feel to it.
This —^.

Drive it like it was a a manual. You only select 1st gear to start from a stop, by accident, or when you want to impress your passenger with your mad rev-matching skilz.

Engine brake in 2nd, ‘click’ both paddles to select neutral, brake to a stop. When it’s time to go, click either paddle and mash the go pedal.
Old 08-27-2021, 03:56 PM
BMorearty
8th Gear

Originally Posted by worf928
Drive it like it was a a manual. You only select 1st gear to start from a stop, by accident, or when you want to impress your passenger with your mad rev-matching skilz.
Thanks for the help, folks. I had forgotten I can pull both paddles to put it into neutral. It makes sense to drive it like a manual when using the paddles, and in a manual I would fully engage the clutch when pulling to a stop.
Old 08-27-2021, 03:58 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

meh. you rarely if ever need to engine brake a modern car, and I've literally never used the paddles to select neutral in a PDK car. The box will do the right thing. If it's not, then you're in the wrong mode for your intentions.
Old 08-27-2021, 04:31 PM
BMorearty
8th Gear

Originally Posted by AlexCeres
you rarely if ever need to engine brake a modern car.
That's good to know. To be honest, one reason I've been engine braking is because my Boxster, which is only 3 weeks old, started two days ago to have a terrible squeal when I brake. The manual warns about this and says it's normal because they're high performance brakes, but man when I spend that much money on a car I really don't want such an ugly braking sound. I'm going to talk to the salesman who sold me the car and see if anything can be done but I'm doubtful, given that it's highlighted in the manual. I was also thinking of staring a new thread about it here on Rennlist.
Old 08-27-2021, 04:31 PM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Received 972 Likes on 458 Posts

I flick it into first when I'm driving 25 mph through a downtown and I want my car to sound like a coffee grinder.
The following 2 users liked this post by clutchplate:
AlexCeres (08-27-2021), Aronis (08-31-2021)
Old 08-27-2021, 04:43 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

That's good to know. To be honest, one reason I've been engine braking is because my Boxster, which is only 3 weeks old, started two days ago to have a terrible squeal when I brake. The manual warns about this and says it's normal because they're high performance brakes, but man when I spend that much money on a car I really don't want such an ugly braking sound. I'm going to talk to the salesman who sold me the car and see if anything can be done but I'm doubtful, given that it's highlighted in the manual. I was also thinking of staring a new thread about it here on Rennlist.
sounds like you might need to bed the brakes in a little. there are a number of threads to search on for details about that. you can start another. steel or ceramic ?
Old 08-27-2021, 04:55 PM
BMorearty
8th Gear

steel or ceramic ?
Steel. I’ve never heard the term “bed the brakes” so I will look up those threads.
Old 08-27-2021, 05:15 PM
BMorearty
8th Gear

sounds like you might need to bed the brakes in a little
Ok so I just looked that up. Sounds promising! But it doesn’t sound easy to find a place to do that.
Old 08-28-2021, 03:13 PM
FLCAYMAN
Racer

Received 282 Likes on 129 Posts

You can just let pdk do it’s thing. If you want it to be more aggressive change to sport / sport+
the turbo 4 cylinder have a lot of low range torque and you very rarely have any need to use 1st while rolling. Hairpin uphill turn maybe, like in a multi level parking garage …
the NA 6 cylinder is a different story, and 1st is a real driving gear. Whip it. Whip it good. It runs to over 30mph. Don’t lug the engine. Drive in 1st.

Exactly this. I don’t think I’ve used first gear, other than getting underway of course, since my S2000. Coming from a C7 to my CGTS40 I quickly realized I had to put the 2-1 back into muscle memory. 🤣
AlexCeres (08-28-2021)
Old 08-28-2021, 03:47 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Ok so I just looked that up. Sounds promising! But it doesn’t sound easy to find a place to do that.
the squeakiness of the steel brakes will sort itself out naturally in time too. But if it’s bothering you, then you can accelerate the bedding in.
I’ve really only been tempted to do this with ceramics which tend to squeak for the first few thousand miles. But as you say, it can be tough to find a safe place to do this in urban areas.
Old 09-29-2021, 08:59 PM
Max718-19
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can’t find my paddles. Heel to toe all the way home from work and always used first gear starting out. I will look for the paddles tomorrow. Anyone know what the far left pedal does? I only have two feet constantly trying different combinations of the three pedals is exhausting.

Quick Reply: When to paddle shift to first gear?