Sponsored by:

Dealer Allocations

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2021, 06:53 PM
gurneyeagle
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Dealer Allocations

Are all models subject to each dealer’s model allocations? I understand the bigger the dealer, the greater the number of allocations.

I realize the rarer models; i.e. Spyder, GT4, GTS have limited availability, but what about a Cayman S?

Obviously, COVID may play into all of this, but are the more “lower performance” models hard to get as well?

On Bob Z.’s advice, I’ll be purchasing through Porsche Orlando, but can’t start the process until next spring.

Old 08-29-2021, 09:56 PM
Payman
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can’t really answer your question but was curious what Bob Z’s advice was as I’m going through Porsche Orlando too for a new ‘22 build (Nov delivery) despite being 1.5 hrs away and closer dealer location options.

Hope you get your answer!
The following users liked this post:
gurneyeagle (08-30-2021)
Old 08-30-2021, 01:14 AM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,727 Likes on 1,048 Posts

Originally Posted by gurneyeagle
Are all models subject to each dealer’s model allocations? I understand the bigger the dealer, the greater the number of allocations.

I realize the rarer models; i.e. Spyder, GT4, GTS have limited availability, but what about a Cayman S?

Obviously, COVID may play into all of this, but are the more “lower performance” models hard to get as well?

On Bob Z.’s advice, I’ll be purchasing through Porsche Orlando, but can’t start the process until next spring.
Yes, the same basic process exists. The cayman S will have a lot more availability. It’s worth having a talk with your SA about what they anticipate. For the more common models, they should be able to give you some useful information. I’m not sure what you mean about “can’t start the process until spring”. Given the Covid delays plus shipping time, it could easily take until February if you start now. This is something your SA can help with. Just be clear about your hard requirements like “can’t take delivery before April”.
The following 2 users liked this post by AlexCeres:
Bartleby7334 (08-30-2021), gurneyeagle (08-30-2021)
Old 08-30-2021, 11:58 AM
75north
Intermediate

Received 76 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Payman
I can’t really answer your question but was curious what Bob Z’s advice was as I’m going through Porsche Orlando too for a new ‘22 build (Nov delivery) despite being 1.5 hrs away and closer dealer location options.

I'm also going through Porsche Orlando, and from my talks with them, Base/S/T allocations are somewhat hard to come by at the moment. Perhaps not as tight as GTS/GT4/Spyder allocations, but there still might be a few month wait for an allocation.

It's been a couple months since I specifically asked about that though, so things may have changed. Definitely talk with your SA to get a better grasp on things!
gurneyeagle (08-30-2021)
Old 08-30-2021, 01:08 PM
Payman
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 75north
I'm also going through Porsche Orlando, and from my talks with them, Base/S/T allocations are somewhat hard to come by at the moment. Perhaps not as tight as GTS/GT4/Spyder allocations, but there still might be a few month wait for an allocation.

It's been a couple months since I specifically asked about that though, so things may have changed. Definitely talk with your SA to get a better grasp on things!
The SA showed/gave me the schedule with a V200... of course he said things can always change but he also seemed confident the schedule will stick. I'm new to all this, so I may be overly trusting and hopeful. Prior to this one, I gave a deposit to another dealer and the communication + responses to my questions felt not right.
gurneyeagle (08-30-2021)
Old 08-30-2021, 06:25 PM
gurneyeagle
Instructor

Thank you for your reply. I had asked about the different dealers in the JAX-Orlando-Gainesville area (I live in Saint Augustine), and Bob HIGHLY recommended Porsche Orlando and specifically Justice Milsom. I've exchanged a few e mails with Justice and he has replied immediately (it was his day off) and completely answered my questions.

Originally Posted by AlexCeres
Yes, the same basic process exists. The cayman S will have a lot more availability. It’s worth having a talk with your SA about what they anticipate. For the more common models, they should be able to give you some useful information. I’m not sure what you mean about “can’t start the process until spring”. Given the Covid delays plus shipping time, it could easily take until February if you start now. This is something your SA can help with. Just be clear about your hard requirements like “can’t take delivery before April”.
Thank you for the reply Alex; very helpful. Regarding my comment regarding when I wanted to start the process, for a number of reasons, I prefer not to take delivery until late-Spring/early-Summer at the earliest. What I didn't want to do was get on an allocation list prematurely. Not knowing if a deposit was required to simply get on the list - not required by Porsche Orlando, I am more in a "learning" mode right now.

The SA showed/gave me the schedule with a V200... of course he said things can always change but he also seemed confident the schedule will stick. I'm new to all this, so I may be overly trusting and hopeful. Prior to this one, I gave a deposit to another dealer and the communication + responses to my questions felt not right.
I understand the anxiety involving with not knowing the process. Justice at Porsche Orlando was extremely helpful with explaining things. I'll probably sign-up for an allocation in mid-January, and see where things go from there. Best of luck with your car!
Old 08-30-2021, 07:23 PM
LnC993
Pro

Received 165 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by gurneyeagle

Actually PAG produce more GTS and GT4 in 2021 than other 718 Cayman models. Here's the production number break down on the 2021 model year Cayman produced for USA:

Base Cayman: 243
Cayman T: 62
Cayman S: 122
Cayman GTS: 341
Cayman GT4: 589

The Covid, chip shortage throw a curve ball on the production line and looks like PAG gives priority to higher priced model like GTS and GT4. Base on the 2021 production number, might be easier to get an allocation for GTS than Cayman S.

Last edited by LnC993; 08-30-2021 at 07:25 PM.
gurneyeagle (08-30-2021)
Old 08-30-2021, 07:59 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,916 Likes on 2,216 Posts

Originally Posted by LnC993
Actually PAG produce more GTS and GT4 in 2021 than other 718 Cayman models. Here's the production number break down on the 2021 model year Cayman produced for USA:

Base Cayman: 243
Cayman T: 62
Cayman S: 122
Cayman GTS: 341
Cayman GT4: 589

The Covid, chip shortage throw a curve ball on the production line and looks like PAG gives priority to higher priced model like GTS and GT4. Base on the 2021 production number, might be easier to get an allocation for GTS than Cayman S.
Yeah, those are US numbers only. There is a preference for the higher trim models here. US doesn’t like the 4-bangers.

Doubtful you can say PAG produced more GT4/GTS worldwide than lower trim. c.h.i.n.a.
Old 08-30-2021, 08:23 PM
75north
Intermediate

Received 76 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
Yeah, those are US numbers only. There is a preference for the higher trim models here. US doesn’t like the 4-bangers.

Doubtful you can say PAG produced more GT4/GTS worldwide than lower trim. c.h.i.n.a.
Definitely true but I remember my SA mentioning at some point that they weren't building the 4 cylinder models due to Covid/some production issue? Don't remember the details but it sounded as though it wasn't just consumer preference that explains the discrepancy in 2021MY distribution. I'm sure there are people here who could speak more to this
Old 09-04-2021, 02:17 PM
flynlo
Burning Brakes

Received 819 Likes on 393 Posts

I am not sure I am understainding but if you are V200 you have an allocation and the car is "yours" if you are awarded that allocation. Congratulations!!! WIth my recent experience on my Spyder, the schedules is relatively accurate. I will say the information coming from PAG does lag quite a bit. Anyway, Good luck and congrats again!!
Old 09-12-2021, 08:43 PM
Leonel
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 20 Posts

I went to my dealer this afternoon for an unrelated issue and run into the guy I placed my order for the gts with and he said “ I don’t want to get your hopes up but we just received noticed that the production of the 718 is going to decrease , and that there was a chance I might not get the car, I asked if my chances will increase if I placed an order in all the Bay Area dealerships to which he responded “ then you are definitely not going to get one”
what do you all think? I hate to leave my chances of getting the car I want into the hands of another person
Old 09-12-2021, 09:11 PM
cybers3c
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Leonel
I went to my dealer this afternoon for an unrelated issue and run into the guy I placed my order for the gts with and he said “ I don’t want to get your hopes up but we just received noticed that the production of the 718 is going to decrease , and that there was a chance I might not get the car, I asked if my chances will increase if I placed an order in all the Bay Area dealerships to which he responded “ then you are definitely not going to get one”
what do you all think? I hate to leave my chances of getting the car I want into the hands of another person
Interesting. Do you mind mentioning the dealer? I’m also in the Bay Area and I’m on the waitlist for a GT4 at 3 Bay Area dealers with deposits at Redwood City, Stevens Creek and Fremont. I’ve heard and read such negative feedback on all Bay Area dealers, I’m not sure I trust any of them.
Old 09-12-2021, 09:33 PM
gurneyeagle
Instructor

Well, that’s depressing news. 😩
Old 09-13-2021, 04:54 AM
jake18
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Porsche better replace the 718 by an even better car.
Old 09-13-2021, 11:53 AM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,916 Likes on 2,216 Posts

Originally Posted by Leonel
Doesn’t sound like your “order” was an actual buildable allocation with commission number. I haven’t heard of any allocations being canceled.

Perhaps there are other customers willing to pay more so just trying to let you down…wouldn’t surprise me it’s the bay area after all.

Do you have a signed contract?

I’d call elsewhere in the country or find a broker if you really want one.

Quick Reply: Dealer Allocations