Notices
718 Forum 982 (718) 2016-Current Discussions about 718 Boxster Cayman Variants
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone want to critique my Cayman GTS 4.0 Build?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2021, 12:51 PM
servicemodel
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by CurbKiller
Only because you asked

I'd swap the dark brushed aluminium trip for the bright version and tick the box for the zero cost upgraded brushed gear lever. IMHO the normal brushed aluminium trim ties in better with Chalk and the chrome details in the cabin, plus the ability to get the matching gear lever. I did this on mind and much nicer than the plastic standard one. With the funds saved, I'd then opt for Chalk seatbelts. I wouldn't worry about staining etc. Assuming you have clean hands getting in the car it's then a non issue.

You will not be disappointed with your colour choices.

Congrats!

P
Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
I suggest that you might try the 18-way and 14-way seats. I went to 18-ways on my last one without sitting a long time in them - they were uncomfortable for me on longer trips but others report they are great for them. I think the carbon fiber trim would look good with this build, too.

Your build looks great and congrats, but since you asked…. http://www.porsche-code.com/PNSFY2M3
Thanks for your build suggestion. You're right I probably do need to try them out first...hopefully they have some available at the dealer to sit in. It may not be obvious only sitting in them for a few minutes though.

While I appreciate the material, for some reason I do not like the look of carbon fiber or maybe it's the steeper cost...
Old 08-02-2021, 12:53 PM
servicemodel
Advanced

Originally Posted by slilley
Looks like a nice build! The only comment I'll add is a note about the ventilated seats: they are a little firmer than the standard seats, and the "hole density" is higher than the standard seats to support the vent function. There are also holes on the side bolsters, which aren't there in the non-vent versions.

I had the ventilated seats on my CPO 911, and while I rarely used them, I originally started out with a CGTS build that matched what I knew from the 911. It was only after a friend pointed out the items above that I went to the dealer, and did a back-to-back comparison on two cars (one without ventilated seats, one with it). I opted to just stick with the heated seats after that.
Thanks for the info - so did you opt out of the ventilation seats because they were firmer making them more uncomfortable? Or because of the "hole density" which I guess affects the look of the seat?
Old 08-02-2021, 12:56 PM
servicemodel
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bill Mitchell
There is indeed a USB port in the glove box that can charge a device, but it doesn't connect to carplay, only the console port does that. I use a wireless adapter in the console to avoid the cable connection.
Thanks for confirming this. Then there is no need to shell out another $500 for a phone tray! If it were a full wireless charger, maybe I would consider it...but even then I think it's a bit much. If you use wireless, then I assume you are not using the carplay feature or you are on android and don't need it? Wireless carplay and android auto would be nice but I have seen other issues related to that...
Old 08-02-2021, 04:26 PM
Porsche757
Instructor

Received 67 Likes on 25 Posts

Also have a Chalk Cayman GTS on the way. I went with black door handles, black window trim, black spoiler and black calipers. Saw one spec'd like this online and thought it looked great! Also opted for the rear wiper and GTS package in black/chalk. I think the configuration doesn't play nice with chalk, it almost looks pinkish to me but maybe it's my old laptop. here's the spec: PMKEGIM3
Old 08-02-2021, 06:51 PM
nineball
Burning Brakes

Received 357 Likes on 247 Posts

i don't have power steering plus but i can't imagine needing the wheel to turn any easier than it does. considering it makes up 0.33% of the overall price if it sounds like something you would like then get it.

i have the 18 way seats and i am... mildly happy. i spec'd mine for the track and in 2017 they did not offer the bucket seats, so i went with the 18s instead. while they are not "track" seats by definition they do have adjusters for both sets of bolsters and they do help to a degree. granted all seats are a set it and forget it thing but i really liked having all the options to make it just the way i wanted. preset 1 is for street, 2 is for track. they are firm as noted above but i am very comfortable in them, including a 14 hour trip the first month i had it.

in those seats i have heating and cooling. the cooling seems to be more of a novelty than anything else. if you didn't know they actually suck air in, not blow anything out. the effect can be felt when first turned on but shortly thereafter it fades pretty fast, at least in my experiences. i got it for those hot days on the track and if i were to do it again i would pass.

-edit-

i have carplay (no nav) and i use the rennline magnetic phone mount, passenger side of the console. cable extends from the armrest area but it's short and straight and doesn't get in the way.

Last edited by nineball; 08-02-2021 at 06:53 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jake18 (08-07-2021)
Old 08-02-2021, 08:20 PM
servicemodel
Advanced

Originally Posted by Porsche757
Also have a Chalk Cayman GTS on the way. I went with black door handles, black window trim, black spoiler and black calipers. Saw one spec'd like this online and thought it looked great! Also opted for the rear wiper and GTS package in black/chalk. I think the configuration doesn't play nice with chalk, it almost looks pinkish to me but maybe it's my old laptop. here's the spec: PMKEGIM3
I've seen some pictures of that build and it looks pretty nice. I was considering it as well but decided against it due to the additional cost and high gloss - I was looking more of a satin finish like the wheels. GTS package is awesome as well which I think will make the car feel special.

Originally Posted by nineball
i don't have power steering plus but i can't imagine needing the wheel to turn any easier than it does. considering it makes up 0.33% of the overall price if it sounds like something you would like then get it.

i have the 18 way seats and i am... mildly happy. i spec'd mine for the track and in 2017 they did not offer the bucket seats, so i went with the 18s instead. while they are not "track" seats by definition they do have adjusters for both sets of bolsters and they do help to a degree. granted all seats are a set it and forget it thing but i really liked having all the options to make it just the way i wanted. preset 1 is for street, 2 is for track. they are firm as noted above but i am very comfortable in them, including a 14 hour trip the first month i had it.

in those seats i have heating and cooling. the cooling seems to be more of a novelty than anything else. if you didn't know they actually suck air in, not blow anything out. the effect can be felt when first turned on but shortly thereafter it fades pretty fast, at least in my experiences. i got it for those hot days on the track and if i were to do it again i would pass.

-edit-

i have carplay (no nav) and i use the rennline magnetic phone mount, passenger side of the console. cable extends from the armrest area but it's short and straight and doesn't get in the way.
Thanks for your detailed feedback. I am really considering just doing the 2-way seats since I will be the only driver and don't plan on taking it on road trips or the track too much. However, something just irks me about spending this much dough and having a manual seat adjuster particularly if I have any passengers...I guess I need to remind myself it's a sports car moreso than a luxury car. I am in Texas so the ventilated seats are tempting as I've never had them before..but as you imply I haven't had any issues with blasting the AC. I'm curious why you say you would pass on them though - just due to the extra cost or something else?
Old 08-02-2021, 09:20 PM
nineball
Burning Brakes

Received 357 Likes on 247 Posts

just tell everyone you were weight conscious so you got the manual seats

i would pass because i don't really see any benefit to them. i suppose they keep the upper part of my back cooler but every other part, down to my knees, are "sealed" if you will against the seats - how much air can it really move? i'm sure the dealer has at least one porsche on the lot with cooled seats. take it for a ride for a good 15 minutes or so and see if you like it, or notice it.
Old 08-03-2021, 12:14 AM
jonrviper
Track Day

Received 16 Likes on 3 Posts

I've enjoyed reading the post! I'm working on a build (still waiting on an allocation) and I have very similar selections other than the colors. I'll probably start another thread to not get this one mixed up, but it's interested to see the opinions on the seats and some of the interior finishes.

My current build:
http://www.porsche-code.com/PN1CD780
Old 08-03-2021, 09:12 AM
slilley
Rennlist Member

Received 473 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by servicemodel
Thanks for the info - so did you opt out of the ventilation seats because they were firmer making them more uncomfortable? Or because of the "hole density" which I guess affects the look of the seat?
For me it was a combination of the two. The OCD part of me was worried that the extra holes would be tougher to keep dust-free, and in my 911 I always felt like I was sitting on the seat because it was pretty hard.

In the end, after going back and forth a number of times, I decided to stick with the "default" RaceTex/Leather seats because they are more grippy than leather, and also unique to the GTS cars. I had Alcantara seats (basically the same as RaceTex) in a BMW that I owned for 16 years and 100K miles, and they aged really well. Not so for the Alcantara steering wheel, however - that was pretty tatty looking after 100K miles, so in the GTS I opted for the leather steering wheel over the RaceTex.
Old 08-03-2021, 09:47 AM
Dan Nagy
Race Car

Received 2,219 Likes on 1,117 Posts

I had Sport Tex in my 992 and really missed the vented seats. Yes, after initially turning them on you don’t notice that they are working, but the fact is, they are quietly wicking away moisture. Even with the AC blasting, the Sport Tex did not keep me as cool and dry. I test drove the 992 with the vented 14-way seats, and they were improved over the 991.2 14-ways. I don’t know how they are in this car, but would assume the same improvement. Having written that, I drove my 991.2 on long trips to Florida and Colorado without any issue.
Old 08-04-2021, 09:23 PM
ttcbj
Rennlist Member

Received 265 Likes on 120 Posts

Thanks for catching this detail! Honestly I did not even see the manual gear lever option and even better at $0 cost. I also think I like the brighter aluminum better w/ the chalk seatbelts.
Great build. Might want to search rennlist for manual gear lever in aluminum though. I believe there are reports the metal gets unpleasantly hot in the summer.
Old 08-04-2021, 10:50 PM
OldJedi
Burning Brakes

Received 597 Likes on 292 Posts

Thanks for your detailed feedback. I am really considering just doing the 2-way seats since I will be the only driver and don't plan on taking it on road trips or the track too much. However, something just irks me about spending this much dough and having a manual seat adjuster particularly if I have any passengers...I guess I need to remind myself it's a sports car moreso than a luxury car. I am in Texas so the ventilated seats are tempting as I've never had them before..but as you imply I haven't had any issues with blasting the AC. I'm curious why you say you would pass on them though - just due to the extra cost or something else?
We have the manual 2 way seats in our Boxster and the 18 way seats in our Cayman. The 2 way manual seats adjust fore and back much faster than the power 18 way seats. The 2 ways are ventilated and they work great in very hot and humid South Florida. The 18 ways seem to have more cushion and I like them better for longer trips. Spend as much time as you can trying seats to see which ones you like best. But if you have back issues and need lumbar support or prefer lumbar support, then you will have to stay with the power seats. Best of luck with your decision, you are going to love this car.
Old 08-05-2021, 11:12 AM
servicemodel
Advanced

Originally Posted by jonrviper
I've enjoyed reading the post! I'm working on a build (still waiting on an allocation) and I have very similar selections other than the colors. I'll probably start another thread to not get this one mixed up, but it's interested to see the opinions on the seats and some of the interior finishes.

My current build:
http://www.porsche-code.com/PN1CD780
Nice build! One of my diecast model cars are in Lava Orange. I think the satin black wheels look nice with it but obviously just my opinion. I also think it will be worth upgrading the interior trim although it is pricey. Although not reflected in the build I posted, I think I am just going to go with leather interior trim over the brushed aluminum. I already have a two-tone leather going on, and I think adding another material makes it less clean. But I am definitely set on replacing the standard trim. This is my first Porsche purchase so feel free to disregard all I've said.

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
I had Sport Tex in my 992 and really missed the vented seats. Yes, after initially turning them on you don’t notice that they are working, but the fact is, they are quietly wicking away moisture. Even with the AC blasting, the Sport Tex did not keep me as cool and dry. I test drove the 992 with the vented 14-way seats, and they were improved over the 991.2 14-ways. I don’t know how they are in this car, but would assume the same improvement. Having written that, I drove my 991.2 on long trips to Florida and Colorado without any issue.
Originally Posted by slilley
For me it was a combination of the two. The OCD part of me was worried that the extra holes would be tougher to keep dust-free, and in my 911 I always felt like I was sitting on the seat because it was pretty hard.

In the end, after going back and forth a number of times, I decided to stick with the "default" RaceTex/Leather seats because they are more grippy than leather, and also unique to the GTS cars. I had Alcantara seats (basically the same as RaceTex) in a BMW that I owned for 16 years and 100K miles, and they aged really well. Not so for the Alcantara steering wheel, however - that was pretty tatty looking after 100K miles, so in the GTS I opted for the leather steering wheel over the RaceTex.
Originally Posted by OldJedi
We have the manual 2 way seats in our Boxster and the 18 way seats in our Cayman. The 2 way manual seats adjust fore and back much faster than the power 18 way seats. The 2 ways are ventilated and they work great in very hot and humid South Florida. The 18 ways seem to have more cushion and I like them better for longer trips. Spend as much time as you can trying seats to see which ones you like best. But if you have back issues and need lumbar support or prefer lumbar support, then you will have to stay with the power seats. Best of luck with your decision, you are going to love this car.
Thanks for the discussion on the seats - exactly what I was looking for. My dealer says they have no Caymans with 2-way or 18-ways on the lot to compare but for now I am just going for the 2 way sport seats with no ventilation. Reasoning being I will be the only driver and this will not be a daily driver or a road trip car so I don't place high priority on the adjustments and memory function. The manual slider always felt cheap to me but I can't argue with its speed and effectiveness when it's just me in the car. Ventilation sounds nice but I'm a person who does not need deodorant (sorry if that's too much info) and this car will be garaged so at least half the time my journey would not begin with high cabin temperatures. Also sounds like the seats may be a little softer without. I may take the $4000+ saved and put that towards a PPF + ceramic coating.

Originally Posted by ttcbj
Great build. Might want to search rennlist for manual gear lever in aluminum though. I believe there are reports the metal gets unpleasantly hot in the summer.
Thanks, good detail and I'll take a look. Is the standard material for the gear lever a sort of plastic then?

Last edited by servicemodel; 08-05-2021 at 11:14 AM.

Quick Reply: Anyone want to critique my Cayman GTS 4.0 Build?