Notices
718 Forum 982 (718) 2016-Current Discussions about 718 Boxster Cayman Variants
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone want to critique my Cayman GTS 4.0 Build?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2021, 08:34 PM
servicemodel
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Anyone want to critique my Cayman GTS 4.0 Build?

Hello,

I'm quite new here and a first time Porsche buyer (deposit placed), but I've learned a lot reading through many posts and I have finally put together my build. I appreciate all the insights from members here (much more helpful than the sales associates) and would love to have anyone willing to take a look and provide any feedback on my configuration. I chose the 718 GTS as I feel it may be the best driver's car in the market and I tried to gear the car towards a more sporty/performance oriented build. However, I couldn't pass up on a lot of the creature comforts that I somewhat expected for a car in this price range. I am not quite sure if I want to include the Porsche Experience Center since that would mean a 900+ mile roadtrip from Atlanta to my home state of Texas. I have read the PEC in Atlanta may offer services to install some sort of protection film but not sure if that is true or if they charge too much for it. Link to Porsche code below, thanks!

http://www.porsche-code.com/PNKBCKI9
Old 08-01-2021, 09:09 PM
JP4931
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Nice build! I just picked up my Chalk CGTS last Saturday.

You might as well add the Luggage Net in Passenger Footwell since it is free.
I paid the $300 for the Headlight Cleaning System Covers to be painted in Chalk instead of leaving them black.
I also added the fire extinguisher for $140.
I would not pay for power steering plus. I really do not see the need.

Last edited by JP4931; 08-01-2021 at 09:13 PM.
Old 08-01-2021, 09:28 PM
servicemodel
Advanced

Originally Posted by JP4931
Nice build! I just picked up my Chalk CGTS last Saturday.

You might as well add the Luggage Net in Passenger Footwell since it is free.
I paid the $300 for the Headlight Cleaning System Covers to be painted in Chalk instead of leaving them black.
I also added the fire extinguisher for $140.
I would not pay for power steering plus. I really do not see the need.
Sweet, hopefully you are enjoying it!

I was debating the headlight cleaning system covers but decided as long as the stock color is black it would match the rest of the black accents. And actually, the I do have the luggage net in there as part of that premium package.

What type of interior and color did you go with? I am debating just going with the RaceTex and doing the standard 2 way seats.
Old 08-01-2021, 09:54 PM
JP4931
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by servicemodel
Sweet, hopefully you are enjoying it!

I was debating the headlight cleaning system covers but decided as long as the stock color is black it would match the rest of the black accents. And actually, the I do have the luggage net in there as part of that premium package.

What type of interior and color did you go with? I am debating just going with the RaceTex and doing the standard 2 way seats.
I went with the GTS interior package with 2 way seats. I did add the leather steering column with carmine red stitching to match the rest of the interior. Since I was part of the Stop Sale and received a little extra money from Porsche, the illuminated carbon door sills was a nice addition also.
Old 08-02-2021, 12:59 AM
servicemodel
Advanced

Originally Posted by JP4931
I went with the GTS interior package with 2 way seats. I did add the leather steering column with carmine red stitching to match the rest of the interior. Since I was part of the Stop Sale and received a little extra money from Porsche, the illuminated carbon door sills was a nice addition also.
Ah, nice. That sounds like a sweet interior. Stop Sale is the recall on the engine - so they delayed the delivery and gave some upgrade options? Also had a question on the Apple Carplay - can you confirm if it is in fact a Carplay USB cable in the center console and another USB in the glove compartment without having to order that smartphone compartment tray?

Old 08-02-2021, 02:41 AM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 726 Likes on 397 Posts

Looks good.
Personally, I would delete the model designation. "718 Cayman GTS" is just too much!
Also not a fan of light interiors, but I wear jeans a lot.
Old 08-02-2021, 03:48 AM
donR
Pro

Received 202 Likes on 120 Posts

If you have any inclination that you might catch the track bug I would option the carbon bucket seats otherwise looks like a nice build and the 18 ways are very comfortable and supportive for normal driving.

I think just the GTS badge alone on the back looks nice.
Old 08-02-2021, 06:03 AM
CurbKiller
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Only because you asked

I'd swap the dark brushed aluminium trip for the bright version and tick the box for the zero cost upgraded brushed gear lever. IMHO the normal brushed aluminium trim ties in better with Chalk and the chrome details in the cabin, plus the ability to get the matching gear lever. I did this on mind and much nicer than the plastic standard one. With the funds saved, I'd then opt for Chalk seatbelts. I wouldn't worry about staining etc. Assuming you have clean hands getting in the car it's then a non issue.

You will not be disappointed with your colour choices.

Congrats!

P
Old 08-02-2021, 06:44 AM
Dan Nagy
Race Car

Received 2,219 Likes on 1,117 Posts

I suggest that you might try the 18-way and 14-way seats. I went to 18-ways on my last one without sitting a long time in them - they were uncomfortable for me on longer trips but others report they are great for them. I think the carbon fiber trim would look good with this build, too.

Your build looks great and congrats, but since you asked…. http://www.porsche-code.com/PNSFY2M3
Old 08-02-2021, 06:49 AM
JP4931
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by servicemodel
Ah, nice. That sounds like a sweet interior. Stop Sale is the recall on the engine - so they delayed the delivery and gave some upgrade options? Also had a question on the Apple Carplay - can you confirm if it is in fact a Carplay USB cable in the center console and another USB in the glove compartment without having to order that smartphone compartment tray?
I did not take delivery of the car that was part of the stop sale. I ordered a second car instead. Porsche offered $4000 to those that were part of the connection rod issue. I didn’t want to have two cars built exactly the same so I added the door sills and the gas cap to make my car a little different from the first build.

CarPlay does work off of the center console USB. I have honestly not looked in the glove compartment for another connection.
Old 08-02-2021, 09:38 AM
slilley
Rennlist Member

Received 473 Likes on 215 Posts

Looks like a nice build! The only comment I'll add is a note about the ventilated seats: they are a little firmer than the standard seats, and the "hole density" is higher than the standard seats to support the vent function. There are also holes on the side bolsters, which aren't there in the non-vent versions.

I had the ventilated seats on my CPO 911, and while I rarely used them, I originally started out with a CGTS build that matched what I knew from the 911. It was only after a friend pointed out the items above that I went to the dealer, and did a back-to-back comparison on two cars (one without ventilated seats, one with it). I opted to just stick with the heated seats after that.
Old 08-02-2021, 09:56 AM
Bill Mitchell
Pro

Received 419 Likes on 205 Posts

There is indeed a USB port in the glove box that can charge a device, but it doesn't connect to carplay, only the console port does that. I use a wireless adapter in the console to avoid the cable connection.
Old 08-02-2021, 12:35 PM
servicemodel
Advanced

Originally Posted by Dr.Bill
Looks good.
Personally, I would delete the model designation. "718 Cayman GTS" is just too much!
Also not a fan of light interiors, but I wear jeans a lot.
I was also considering that, but I feel if nothing is there it's too bare. Maybe just the 718...since I don't see that selection too often out on the roads.
Old 08-02-2021, 12:39 PM
servicemodel
Advanced

Originally Posted by donR
If you have any inclination that you might catch the track bug I would option the carbon bucket seats otherwise looks like a nice build and the 18 ways are very comfortable and supportive for normal driving.

I think just the GTS badge alone on the back looks nice.
It would be a shame if I am never able to bring this to the track...but I imagine I don't think I could do it enough to make the bucket seats worth it. Are the 2-way seats truly the same as the 18 just without the adjustments? I guess I'd be losing out on the comfort access and the electronic adjustments of the steering column?
Old 08-02-2021, 12:45 PM
servicemodel
Advanced

Originally Posted by CurbKiller
Only because you asked

I'd swap the dark brushed aluminium trip for the bright version and tick the box for the zero cost upgraded brushed gear lever. IMHO the normal brushed aluminium trim ties in better with Chalk and the chrome details in the cabin, plus the ability to get the matching gear lever. I did this on mind and much nicer than the plastic standard one. With the funds saved, I'd then opt for Chalk seatbelts. I wouldn't worry about staining etc. Assuming you have clean hands getting in the car it's then a non issue.

You will not be disappointed with your colour choices.

Congrats!

P
Thanks for catching this detail! Honestly I did not even see the manual gear lever option and even better at $0 cost. I also think I like the brighter aluminum better w/ the chalk seatbelts.
The following users liked this post:
CurbKiller (08-02-2021)

Quick Reply: Anyone want to critique my Cayman GTS 4.0 Build?