Apple CarPlay add on......

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2021, 06:16 PM
Aronis
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 217 Likes on 121 Posts
Default Apple CarPlay add on......

I am in the process of connecting my Porsche Connect for the car's wifi hotspot, so my Dash Cam can use it for uploading videos to the cloud.

My understanding is the the built in SIM card in the Porsche allows one to make voice calls without cellphone??? That's interesting LOL.

I was under the impression that my car had the hardware needed for Apple CarPlay and that I would be able to add it like I did on my M5....but I guess not.

The Porsche Connected App is pretty lame??? (perhaps NOT) An outside company offers a more robust package. The BMW connected Drive app is FREE, FREE, FREE and does more functions. I am kind of disappointed in the Porsche App..(but maybe not!)....about all you can do is call road side assistance. LOL. Did I miss something?

I'm learning.]
EDIT:
wait a minute, just checked out the connection with the network connected. LOL messages show, amazon music, calendar, POI from phone, nice.......need MORE APPS LOL...this is fun.....

Have to do something with the car while waiting for the registration.....

MIke

Last edited by Aronis; 04-12-2021 at 08:44 PM.
Old 04-12-2021, 07:12 PM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 435 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by Aronis
I am in the process of connecting my Porsche Connect for the car's wifi hotspot, so my Dash Cam can use it for uploading videos to the cloud.

My understanding is the the built in SIM card in the Porsche allows one to make voice calls without cellphone??? That's interesting LOL.

I was under the impression that my car had the hardware needed for Apple CarPlay and that I would be able to add it like I did on my M5....but I guess not.

The Porsche Connected App is pretty lame??? An outside company offers a more robust package. The BMW connected Drive app is FREE, FREE, FREE and does more functions. I am kind of disappointed in the Porsche App......about all you can do is call road side assistance. LOL. Did I miss something?

I'm learning.

Have to do something with the car while waiting for the registration.....

MIke
The embedded or external sim can only be used for data connections, they cannot be used for making phone calls. There is a phone module that is available in Europe that allows the PCM to make calls, haven't see it here.

Do you have the window sticker? If not goto https://vinanalytics.com and put in the vin, that will give you a list of options. The MY18's had a standalone CarPlay option or Car Connect Plus (which included CarPlay in the package).
The Porsche Car Connect is actually provided by vodaphone. The app lets you check the vehicle, see if it's locked, amount of gas, and there's security functionns and some other things, but yes it's a bit lame. Similar in functionality to Ford pass and my F150.

Then there's Porsche Connect which is actually the apps on the PCM (google maps, traffic, weather, news, etc). It can get confusing quickly.

Old 04-12-2021, 07:43 PM
Aronis
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Thanks, I have the original build sheet for the car (2019) and CarPlay is not there. It is just software? Not sure if it can be just 'installed' by dealer, but not for $1000.00. LOL.

I can live without it.

So I noticed on my iPhone that there was a check box for "Show alerts" for my iPhone to PCM connection, and all it does on the Porsche is play the text tone, no on screen message? BMW was original partner with CarPlay development so it makes sense that BMW's app would be more functional. The car shows your text messages and you can reply to them via the car voice system. I expected similar in the Porsche, again no big deal. I am putting in the Rennline Magnetic Mount anyway.

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKU718APPLE.html, not paying $900 for it.

Mike

Last edited by Aronis; 04-12-2021 at 07:53 PM.
Old 04-12-2021, 08:43 PM
Aronis
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Oh, edit above. LOL
Old 04-14-2021, 01:04 AM
wtmeyer
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can most likely activate Car Play in your 2019 vehicle. Search the forum and you will find a guy who can do it for you remotely.
Old 04-15-2021, 11:07 AM
callmecayman
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

i had mine done remotely and it works flawlessly. the guy even updated my maps as well.
Old 04-15-2021, 12:02 PM
Z06jerry
Pro

Received 358 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by Aronis
Thanks, I have the original build sheet for the car (2019) and CarPlay is not there. It is just software?
Originally Posted by wtmeyer
You can most likely activate Car Play in your 2019 vehicle. Search the forum and you will find a guy who can do it for you remotely.
Yes, its just software, here's what your looking for ...
https://www.718forum.com/threads/pcm...on-maps.21611/
Old 04-15-2021, 08:49 PM
Aronis
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Thank you so much. I had read that thread before and was interested. I was hoping that the car already had it. LOL.

I'll set up those components and give it a try.

But currently I have purchased an ATT internet plan and even though I can see the apps (four of them) there is no internet connection when I connect my phone to the car via WIFI and turn it into Airplane Mode. There are two bars on the car's display but no internet connection. There is no built in means of "Testing" the internet connection I guess.

Still waiting on the registration.

Mike
Old 04-16-2021, 04:26 AM
wtmeyer
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don’t think you use the car’s internet connection for this upgrade. You basically have to connect your laptop hardwired to the car from the dongle and then use your wireless home internet or possibly your phone to allow remote access to your car through TeamViewer.

Note I have not done this yet but plan to soon.
Old 04-16-2021, 01:09 PM
Aronis
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wtmeyer
I don’t think you use the car’s internet connection for this upgrade. You basically have to connect your laptop hardwired to the car from the dongle and then use your wireless home internet or possibly your phone to allow remote access to your car through TeamViewer.

Note I have not done this yet but plan to soon.
I know, LOL, the car's internet connection is for my dash cam use.

I doubt my passenger will be surfing the web while I drive, but I would really like that connectivity to work, as I occasionally need to pull over and log onto my work system to do patient care on the go. Comes in very handy since all our prescriptions are done electronically.

Mike

Quick Reply: Apple CarPlay add on......