Sponsored by:

GT4 BODYKIT

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2020, 01:35 PM
jhun
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GT4 BODYKIT

Hi, does anyone know where to buy original/2nd hand 718 gt4 bodykit??
Dying to make the conversion.
Old 11-28-2020, 01:54 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,873 Likes on 1,903 Posts

You would need to do the entire treatment, wing, diffuser, underside, etc. or you’re going to mess up the aero balance of the car.
The following 2 users liked this post by Archimedes:
jhun (02-11-2021), wdr911 (11-28-2020)
Old 11-28-2020, 09:13 PM
donR
Pro

Received 202 Likes on 120 Posts

I believe Suncoast is interested in selling the front bumper/conversion kit but are yet to work out exactly what is needed but say maybe $5k or $6k just for the front.

I think many people are doing these changes for asthetic improvements so perhaps the aero balance is not so important and IMO you really need to being going 100mph or so to start getting the aerodynamic benefits aside from being a very good driver on the track.

I've read, for the 718 GT4 Porsche quotes "At the car’s maximum speed, there is a total of 122 kg of rear downforce." So that's 180mph, so not much happening for street driving, but certainly some benefits on the track, although I think GT3 or GTE race cars are getting over 500kg or more rear down force, so 122kg is not a lot from what is really a little wing, but very nice to look at.

However, I like the idea of a GT4 touring for a bit more subtlety.

I know some people are going with the Techart rear wing which might be a bit more cost effective and another owner was able to fit the GT4 rear diffuser by re-welding the positions of his exhaust outlets.
The following 2 users liked this post by donR:
jhun (02-11-2021), wdr911 (02-12-2021)
Old 11-28-2020, 09:30 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

It’s not just a matter of overall downforce. It’s balance. If all you do is thrown the front splitter on a 718, without the rear wing or, more importantly, the diffuser, you are going to seriously unbalance the car at high street speeds. It won’t matter at driving to cars and coffee speeds, but railing in the canyons it will have an effect on the handling.
The following 2 users liked this post by Archimedes:
jhun (02-11-2021), phefner (11-29-2020)
Old 11-29-2020, 07:02 AM
martopoulos
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 43 Posts

NR Auto (LA) said they'd be interested in adapting their 981 GT4 mold for 718s, but would need a pool of people willing to make a deposit. I actually like the styling of the 981 GT4 front bumper more, but it is a little strange to go backwards, I suppose.

They told me they'd need maybe 10 people for the 981 GT4 => 718 adaptation, but I'm guessing they'd want even more people to justify starting from scratch on a completely new bumper (the 718 GT4 one).

Outside of waiting on NR Auto and Suncoast, there are already numerous FRP options you can buy now on alibaba.com, but man is that risky, quality and fitment-wise. Examples:

Example 1

Example 2

My wife knows Chinese so I was thinking of asking a few probing questions about their bumpers to see if that instills any more confidence, but even if it did, they'd still be crack-prone FRP instead of ABS, which might be a deal breaker for a high wear area like a front bumper.

Last edited by martopoulos; 11-29-2020 at 07:06 AM.
The following users liked this post:
jhun (02-11-2021)
Old 12-04-2020, 06:14 PM
donR
Pro

I'd be interested to hear what you find about the Chinese Front Bumbers. I'm not sure as there are so many little parts in the front bumper like parking sensors, lights, washers, grills, vents, etc., that I also wonder if it will be like OEM.

Otherwise I think other parts like fenders, side skirts and rear spoilers should be ok.
jhun (02-11-2021)
Old 12-21-2020, 04:58 AM
martopoulos
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 43 Posts

Okay, I'm taking a chance on the Chinese bumper. Just ordered one. They said they'd make it in ABS for me and cut holes for the parking sensors. I don't think it'll have whatever the sensors actually mount on, but after talking to my body shop about their willingness and ability to improvise and fabricate things as necessary, I feel a bit better about gambling. I paid $2000 shipped, which includes a spare spoiler lip (my request).
​​​​​
It'll be a good 6 to 8 weeks before my body shop has it. Since I skipped the carbon fiber lip overlay option (a bit too much gloss for me, though it does look nice), I'll ask my body shop to fill in the "GT4" text embedded on the lip and smooth it out before painting since that bothers me.

Another reason I'm in a gambling mood: my OEM GTS bumper is out of alignment and somewhat bent in one spot thanks to an E-scooter that blew through a red light and right into my driver side fender / bumper, so yeah, it's hard to imagine this new bumper looking much worse. A replacement OEM bumper is $2500 + shipping, which also motivated me to look into other options...

As for aero balance, I already have a replica 981 GT4 rear spoiler installed, FWIW.

Last edited by martopoulos; 12-21-2020 at 05:10 AM.
jhun (02-11-2021)
Old 12-21-2020, 05:57 AM
donR
Pro

Great to hear you are trying out the Chinese bumper. My experience is their carbon parts have come along way and finish is usually very good. I'm sure the bumper will be fine, just all the intermediatry pieces that you might need.

Anyway, look forward to seeing any photos as the build progresses.
The following 2 users liked this post by donR:
jhun (02-11-2021), martopoulos (12-23-2020)
Old 12-21-2020, 12:05 PM
obx_jk
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by martopoulos
NR Auto (LA) said they'd be interested in adapting their 981 GT4 mold for 718s, but would need a pool of people willing to make a deposit. I actually like the styling of the 981 GT4 front bumper more, but it is a little strange to go backwards, I suppose.

They told me they'd need maybe 10 people for the 981 GT4 => 718 adaptation, but I'm guessing they'd want even more people to justify starting from scratch on a completely new bumper (the 718 GT4 one).

Outside of waiting on NR Auto and Suncoast, there are already numerous FRP options you can buy now on alibaba.com, but man is that risky, quality and fitment-wise. Examples:

Example 1

Example 2

My wife knows Chinese so I was thinking of asking a few probing questions about their bumpers to see if that instills any more confidence, but even if it did, they'd still be crack-prone FRP instead of ABS, which might be a deal breaker for a high wear area like a front bumper.
Good luck with NR Auto. I bought a GT4 rear spoiler from them last year for my 718. I called to ask if it was in stock and was told yes. I placed my order on the spot. 2.5 weeks later and I didn't have a tracking number or package. After multiple calls trying to find out where my order was, I was told they had a bunch of orders all at once and they were being made "in-house." Took about about another 2.5 weeks to get the part in the mail. Item arrived damaged, and needed professional work to fix. Item was also missing hardware for installation. No one was interested in helping after purchase.

About a month after I had the item professionally installed, someone on the FB 718 page found out the NR Auto wing was also the $300 wing sold on ebay. Obviously with significant markup.
jhun (02-11-2021)
Old 12-21-2020, 06:05 PM
MTB_KAB
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by martopoulos
Okay, I'm taking a chance on the Chinese bumper. Just ordered one. They said they'd make it in ABS for me and cut holes for the parking sensors. I don't think it'll have whatever the sensors actually mount on, but after talking to my body shop about their willingness and ability to improvise and fabricate things as necessary, I feel a bit better about gambling. I paid $2000 shipped, which includes a spare spoiler lip (my request).
​​​​​
It'll be a good 6 to 8 weeks before my body shop has it. Since I skipped the carbon fiber lip overlay option (a bit too much gloss for me, though it does look nice), I'll ask my body shop to fill in the "GT4" text embedded on the lip and smooth it out before painting since that bothers me.

Another reason I'm in a gambling mood: my OEM GTS bumper is out of alignment and somewhat bent in one spot thanks to an E-scooter that blew through a red light and right into my driver side fender / bumper, so yeah, it's hard to imagine this new bumper looking much worse. A replacement OEM bumper is $2500 + shipping, which also motivated me to look into other options...

As for aero balance, I already have a replica 981 GT4 rear spoiler installed, FWIW.
Thanks for taking the plunge, I can't wait to see it. Will have to make sure to make one of the local runs as soon as you get it installed so that I can see it in person.
The following 2 users liked this post by MTB_KAB:
jhun (02-11-2021), martopoulos (12-23-2020)
Old 12-21-2020, 06:11 PM
c1pher
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 460 Posts

Originally Posted by donR
I believe Suncoast is interested in selling the front bumper/conversion kit but are yet to work out exactly what is needed but say maybe $5k or $6k just for the front.

I think many people are doing these changes for asthetic improvements so perhaps the aero balance is not so important and IMO you really need to being going 100mph or so to start getting the aerodynamic benefits aside from being a very good driver on the track.

I've read, for the 718 GT4 Porsche quotes "At the car’s maximum speed, there is a total of 122 kg of rear downforce." So that's 180mph, so not much happening for street driving, but certainly some benefits on the track, although I think GT3 or GTE race cars are getting over 500kg or more rear down force, so 122kg is not a lot from what is really a little wing, but very nice to look at.

However, I like the idea of a GT4 touring for a bit more subtlety.

I know some people are going with the Techart rear wing which might be a bit more cost effective and another owner was able to fit the GT4 rear diffuser by re-welding the positions of his exhaust outlets.
Isn’t that what the GTS is for? You get the flat six with the look of the regular 718.
jhun (02-11-2021)
Old 12-21-2020, 06:14 PM
c1pher
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jhun
Hi, does anyone know where to buy original/2nd hand 718 gt4 bodykit??
Dying to make the conversion.
But why? Trade in your 718 and buy a GT4. By the time you get all the body parts, wheels etc and then have them painted and installed properly, you could have paid for a GT4 and gotten the flat six engine.
The following 4 users liked this post by c1pher:
997usa (12-27-2020), bgsntth (02-12-2021), Dan Nagy (08-16-2021), jhun (02-11-2021)
Old 12-21-2020, 06:37 PM
DC021
Rennlist Member

Received 275 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by c1pher
But why? Trade in your 718 and buy a GT4. By the time you get all the body parts, wheels etc and then have them painted and installed properly, you could have paid for a GT4 and gotten the flat six engine.
This.

Please don’t.
jhun (02-11-2021)
Old 12-21-2020, 06:49 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

An yes, I remember when I bought race bodywork for my track bike out of China to save a few bucks. Especially vivid is my memory of stuffing it in the trash bin when it didn't fit, cracked when drilled, looked like ***. Nothing like throwing hundreds of dollars away and then still having to spend what you should have in the first place to do it right.
The following 3 users liked this post by Archimedes:
c1pher (12-21-2020), jhun (02-11-2021), UncleDude (12-21-2020)
Old 12-21-2020, 08:31 PM
c1pher
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Archimedes
An yes, I remember when I bought race bodywork for my track bike out of China to save a few bucks. Especially vivid is my memory of stuffing it in the trash bin when it didn't fit, cracked when drilled, looked like ***. Nothing like throwing hundreds of dollars away and then still having to spend what you should have in the first place to do it right.
This is true. You might get lucky or need a lot of body work to make the panels work. I’m not sure why but the panel gaps seem even tighter on the GT4/Spyder than they were on my 17 Boxster. Tighter tolerances leave less room for error.
jhun (02-11-2021)