Sponsored by:

Wiring exhaust valve open

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2020, 10:52 AM
asuptardorne
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Wiring exhaust valve open

I want to test out what a valve controller would sound like on the stock exhaust of my 2019 Boxster S. I thought there would be two valves, but I can only seem to find one on the right side and when I wire it open there is no sound change when pressing the PSE button while idling.

Attached photos of the RHS (with valve) and LHS (no valve).

The valve definitely closes on idle and gets quieter so I think it’s working, but am I missing a valve in a different location?

I also see water dripping from the valve location, but I assume that is just normal exhaust condensation.

Last edited by asuptardorne; 11-08-2020 at 10:54 AM.
Old 11-08-2020, 12:14 PM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 437 Likes on 326 Posts

There's only one valve, it's open by default. When under vacuum it closes. If you want to keep it open, you can disconnect the vacuum line and plug it. The left and right exhaust manifold join before the turbo. Post turbo there is a single down pipe with cat that splits before the passenger rear wheel, from here you have a left and right side again. The drivers side exhaust is longer since has to pass back over to the right side. I would think the unequal exhaust lengths would affect the sound.

you're right about the water just being condensation.
Old 11-08-2020, 12:27 PM
asuptardorne
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Thanks. The sound difference wasn’t as much as I expected. Definitely not too loud and no offensive noises at any RPM.

Granted I am used to my Miata which has only a two cats and a resonator between me and the exhaust sound.

Quick Reply: Wiring exhaust valve open