Has anyone done this?

Experience

Pics?
Old 08-07-2020, 08:51 PM
Haros
Rennlist Member

Received 276 Likes on 153 Posts

It’s just an oil change, my dude.
use the right weight oil that’s certified and away you go. You are looking for A40 oil, C40 for new cars.

document the change for warranty purposes and order your oil filter ahead of time.
The following users liked this post:
Rich_Jenkins (08-12-2020)
Old 08-08-2020, 12:15 AM
modifieda4
Instructor

Received 75 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by crw
Has anyone done this?

Experience

Pics?
I remember seeing a video on youtube, it looks like its a bit of a pain to change the filter.
Old 08-08-2020, 12:37 AM
Haros
Rennlist Member

Received 276 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by modifieda4
I remember seeing a video on youtube, it looks like its a bit of a pain to change the filter.
yeah there is a bunch:

p tech does a few.

its not hard. The biggest change from some other cars is the oil filter is canister type. That means a permanent fixed housing - you simply replace the filter media inside. Wix is the Porsche “approved” filter and is easy to find... with that being said, I find it easier to order canister style filters online - even if it’s through your favourite parts store, as they are not often stocked.

The only “trick” is to make sure to replace the gasket for the filter. New ones come with every filter.

A quick search for “a40” reveals quite a number of Porsche approved oils. As for c40, I would avoid unless your car actually has a GPF... in which case you are forced to use it, and that limits you to Mobil 1.
Old 08-08-2020, 01:21 PM
crw
Rennlist Member

Received 353 Likes on 210 Posts

The reason I ask, having changed oil on almost any car I have owned including several P cars is:

on the 718:

- oil drain plug access seems easy

- getting to the filter and canister seems like a PIA

A few vids show a consulted path from underneath.

Has anyone had success via the wheelwell after removing the rim and fender liner?

Old 08-08-2020, 01:28 PM
skeeter714
Instructor

Received 140 Likes on 67 Posts

Dumb question- Does the suspension have to be loaded in order for access to the filter?
Old 08-08-2020, 01:37 PM
crw
Rennlist Member

It looks like the filter sits above and forward of the rear axel.

Most of the pics and vids on-line - very limited dont show the path to the housing very well.

Old 08-08-2020, 05:46 PM
crw
Rennlist Member

Took a look.

The thing that complicates it is that there is a headlight level sensor in the way that needs to be undone to get the filter housing out.

Basically need:

- oil filter/crush ring (@$25)
- 6 qt. Mobil 1 (@ $50)
- oil service light reset tool (@$90)

Dealer charges $175 for oil change _ I am going to leave it to them because the limited workspace coupled with a pretty delicate headlight sensor with extremely small screws and plastic parts leaves too much potential for a major headache if this part breaks or cant be re-connected just right.
Old 08-08-2020, 06:07 PM
gatorfast
Burning Brakes

Received 468 Likes on 266 Posts

I have always done my own oil changes on my previous cars (BMWs) but don’t think I will attempt it on my 718. Watching several diy vids it looks too involved for me, plus i have a great Indy shop about 10min up the road.
Old 08-08-2020, 09:51 PM
skeeter714
Instructor

Originally Posted by crw
Took a look.

Dealer charges $175 for oil change _ I am going to leave it to them because the limited workspace coupled with a pretty delicate headlight sensor with extremely small screws and plastic parts leaves too much potential for a major headache if this part breaks or cant be re-connected just right.
WOW! Very lucky. I price shopped around Orange County where I live, and the best I ever got for my 718CS was 400 out the door.

Old 08-08-2020, 09:52 PM
skeeter714
Instructor

Originally Posted by gatorfast
I have always done my own oil changes on my previous cars (BMWs) but don’t think I will attempt it on my 718. Watching several diy vids it looks too involved for me, plus i have a great Indy shop about 10min up the road.
Yup. I have never paid for an oil change on my E46 M3. Very straightforward procedure and a great platform to teach others how to DIY.
Old 08-09-2020, 01:05 PM
BlueNorther
Pro

Received 153 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by crw
Has anyone done this?

Experience

Pics?
I did this last month on my base 718 Boxster with MT. Completely overrated in difficulty (though more difficult for sure than my 991.2 and previous 981). Google "982 Cayman oil change" and watch that a few times, it is for a 718 GTS MT same procedure as for my base.

I recommend spending $55 on the 718/GT3 Hazet socket from Suncoast, ship it with their filter kit. It has the same part number as socket I used for my 981, but it is about half an inch less profile and you will need all the room you can get.

I backed the rear wheels onto rhino ramps (already owned these and used them for the 981 oil changes), block the front tires. Off goes the shield per video, remove 6 Torex screws, 4 plastic sees and 4 bolts bolts, the video does a good job showing which ones these are. And I used a short length of old garden hose to drain the oil from the filter casing drain to the oil pan, also per video. The filter is in a tight spot above the axel, but easy to see and reach from below, you just have to get the ratchet under a hose. IT IS NOT DIFFICULT AND YOU DO NOT NEED TO REMOVE WHEEL OR ANYTHING ELSE. I am not an experienced mechanic, it's a basic DIY job. I believe it is difficult for PDK, but that's what you get for having a pdk
The following users liked this post:
modifieda4 (08-10-2020)
Old 08-10-2020, 11:58 AM
sobiloff
Racer

Received 209 Likes on 133 Posts

Hmm, I don't find any Hazet items at Suncoast?
Old 08-10-2020, 01:35 PM
BlueNorther
Pro

Received 153 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by sobiloff
Hmm, I don't find any Hazet items at Suncoast?
They don't list it as Hazet, but it is the unlabeled filter socket that comes up when you look at the 718 oil filter replacement kit. Stamped with Hazet when I got it, and weirdly with same part number as the different one I had for the 981 (same # teeth etc, just height different).
Old 08-12-2020, 05:04 PM
crw
Rennlist Member

Will tackle this shortly.

There seems to be some suggestions over the internet for service reset devices - most of the threads seem to talk about icarsoft por 11 or Autel.

Icarsoft can be a bit pricey at $159

Autel involves file downloads for your car and model - some people expressed mixed reviews that this was a cumbersome process.

I picked up a Creader7 - as long as you identify the car as a Boxster on their program it resets everything great including oil service light or other service reminders that might pop up. It reads all codes and information typically available. Bonus is that it was only @ $70.

It has Cayman on the menu, but it doesn't work unless you pick Boxster - they probably share engine/ECU software and parts.

Oil change should now be pretty easy based on the you tube vid 982 oil change.

Dealer apparently now wants to do oil change under the yearly maintenance for @ $500+ tax. They tack on another $325 to vacuum out the leaves and wash the car. My car has PPF on the front so, no thanks.

I am retired, bored with the Covid restrictions, and I am always looking for new challenges - I'll post a complete thread when the time comes.

Anyway, I'm happy to now be able to avoid the dealer:

- no driving to and from
- no waiting
- no surprises
-no upselling

I really don't like the part of the technology that automatically tries to send you to the dealer. It is likely a reasonable idea for most folks, but not those of us who like to do what we can with our vehicles.

Quick Reply: DIY oil chnage on a 718 with manual transmission - thoughts