Sponsored by:

First video review of 4.0

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2020, 07:24 AM
kart driver
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by michael818
Now that the GTS 4.0 is out I, for one, would love to see the auto bloggers and journalists do head to head comparisons between the new 4.0 and the GTS it replaced.

The 4.0 looks great and probably sounds great but I am interested in seeing how they compare in performance. Does the 4.0 handle better, is it faster around a track, is it faster to 60? Is the difference enough to trade a GTS for a new model? My GTS is a nice build and the sound doesn’t bother me one way or the other but I was thinking that perhaps the difference is enough to eat a loss and move to the 4.0 or even a 992.

i think that the difference between the discounted prices in the 2.5 and the fact that the 4.0 will probably sell at MSRP would make a trade a non starter but who knows.

what does everyone think?
The performance of 2.5 and 4.0 will be very similar. It is all about the sound.

Having owned m3 e92 with n/a 4.0 in the past and now owning a 911 gt3 for me the choice is obvious. 4.0 hands down.
Old 02-21-2020, 09:47 AM
Chester7
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 102 Posts

Good news for those who want a flat six. And a bargain for those who buy a GTS 2.5 (smart money).
Old 02-21-2020, 10:36 AM
JCviggen
Rennlist Member

Received 1,600 Likes on 619 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter
I think you would take a bath for not much improvement in actual performance. If the sound is not an issue for you, I'd keep the 2019. All that turbo torque is addicting.
The difference in engine character isn't all about sound. The throttle response is hugely different and the top end of the 4.0 is intoxicating. The 2.5T does have more torque at low-ish RPM but it's not all there the instant you hit the throttle and the last 7-800 RPM before red line are extremely meh on the turbo 4's. That's not to say that people can't like the H4 for daily driving but there is a lot more to it than just the way it sounds. For a small sports car I think the 4.0's way of doing things makes a lot more sense. It's not a 4-door family car or SUV.
Old 02-21-2020, 10:49 AM
Chester7
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by JCviggen
The difference in engine character isn't all about sound. The throttle response is hugely different and the top end of the 4.0 is intoxicating. The 2.5T does have more torque at low-ish RPM but it's not all there the instant you hit the throttle and the last 7-800 RPM before red line are extremely meh on the turbo 4's. That's not to say that people can't like the H4 for daily driving but there is a lot more to it than just the way it sounds. For a small sports car I think the 4.0's way of doing things makes a lot more sense. It's not a 4-door family car or SUV.
Sir, do you own either the 2.5T or the 4.0 GTS?
The following users liked this post:
X2Board (02-21-2020)
Old 02-21-2020, 10:53 AM
JCviggen
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chester7
Sir, do you own either the 2.5T or the 4.0 GTS?
No, why? I do own a 3.8L 981 and have driven the 2.5T S and GTS several times as well as the 718 GT4 and the 718 GTS 4.0 in a professional capacity on press launches and reviews, just in case that helps to make me seem semi qualified to have an opinion on them...
The following 3 users liked this post by JCviggen:
Chester7 (02-21-2020), Dr.Bill (02-21-2020), n4v4nod (02-21-2020)
Old 02-21-2020, 11:12 AM
michael818
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter
I think you would take a bath for not much improvement in actual performance. If the sound is not an issue for you, I'd keep the 2019. All that turbo torque is addicting.
That is exactly right as far as trade in, offers are ridiculous. I doubt I would trade in on the 4.0, if I move on it will probably be for a 992 and most probably for a CPO version in a year or so. However, I would still like to see the head to head.
Old 02-21-2020, 12:52 PM
michael818
Rennlist Member

I’m sure what you say is accurate but, other than the track, how often does that matter? How often does one drive at top end or even hit redline in normal driving? I can redline switching gears but that’s a very small time frame. Most legal normal driving is not at top end or redline for long.

There is very little, if any, turbo lag in the GTS in sport or sport plus mode. I can’t talk to the base , never haven driven one.
Old 02-21-2020, 01:41 PM
JCviggen
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by michael818
I’m sure what you say is accurate but, other than the track, how often does that matter? How often does one drive at top end or even hit redline in normal driving? I can redline switching gears but that’s a very small time frame. Most legal normal driving is not at top end or redline for long.

There is very little, if any, turbo lag in the GTS in sport or sport plus mode. I can’t talk to the base , never haven driven one.
I understand all that, but it's a 2-seater sportscar which (if you believe the brochures) is about driving pleasure. It's not a utilitarian car even if you can perfectly drive it every day. Being enjoyable is the number one thing. And from that perspective the 4.0 suits it better. It has quite a bit of torque anyway, unlike the old 3.4. Plenty for what most would consider "normal" driving and with a nice sound to go along with it. Between 3 and 5K RPM it does not make you wish you had a smaller turbo engine.

If I had a 2.5 GTS I would not be running out to take a financial hit to get into the new car. But now that the choice is there, for most new car buyers it should be between the 2.0 base engine or the 4.0. Either go for value or for the best one overall. The 2.5 is a bit in no-man's land now value wise through no fault of its own.
Old 02-21-2020, 02:13 PM
michael818
Rennlist Member

I understand all that, but it's a 2-seater sportscar which (if you believe the brochures) is about driving pleasure. It's not a utilitarian car even if you can perfectly drive it every day. Being enjoyable is the number one thing. And from that perspective the 4.0 suits it better. It has quite a bit of torque anyway, unlike the old 3.4. Plenty for what most would consider "normal" driving and with a nice sound to go along with it. Between 3 and 5K RPM it does not make you wish you had a smaller turbo engine.

If I had a 2.5 GTS I would not be running out to take a financial hit to get into the new car. But now that the choice is there, for most new car buyers it should be between the 2.0 base engine or the 4.0. Either go for value or for the best one overall. The 2.5 is a bit in no-man's land now value wise through no fault of its own.
I totally agree that, if I were buying today, it would be the 4.0, more for prospective resale than anything else. I also agree that it’s about the driving experience and the 2.5t is quite enjoyable to drive. The sound issue is a created issue, as I said, it’s a different sound but doesn’t detract from what matters to me, handling and power. I do use my 2.5 GTS as an everyday driver and it’s fine. Having previously owned a 997CS and a 991CS, I prefer not having a turbo but, as I said above, I’ll probably be looking at a 992 to replace this one.

Quick Reply: First video review of 4.0