Sponsored by:

No one wants manual transmission 718!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2020, 09:21 PM
Reiver
Drifting

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by mb1
I think that there are plenty of car enthusiasts that prefer PDK, but I don't think there are many manual drivers that aren't car enthusiasts. IMHO, PDK (and time a lesser degree tiptronic) changed the demographics of Porsche ownership. Before PDK, it required more of a commitment than it does now. I don't think that any individual ever decided to learn to drive a manual solely to have bragging rites to Porsche ownership. Now, all it requires is cash and a driver's license. BTW, I have no objection to these new demographics. If it provides Porsche the financial resources to develop more and more outstanding automobiles, I'm good with that.
I'd probably like a PDK so am casting no dispersion's but tend to agree...both 'sides' have serious enthusiasts but I suspect the MT's have a bit of an edge considering the skill/involvement level it takes to exact the max.
I know folks who have owned MT's for years yet can still not double clutch/rev match while braking. 915 owners have to get that.
Some recent Porsche owners don't have any idea what I just said.
The following 2 users liked this post by Reiver:
Chester7 (01-15-2020), InTgr8r (01-14-2020)
Old 01-14-2020, 10:51 PM
modifieda4
Instructor

Received 75 Likes on 49 Posts

fwiw, i just put a deposit down on a manual cayman S.
The following users liked this post:
JBsZ06 (01-26-2020)
Old 01-15-2020, 10:25 AM
michael818
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Reiver
I'd probably like a PDK so am casting no dispersion's but tend to agree...both 'sides' have serious enthusiasts but I suspect the MT's have a bit of an edge considering the skill/involvement level it takes to exact the max.
I know folks who have owned MT's for years yet can still not double clutch/rev match while braking. 915 owners have to get that.
Some recent Porsche owners don't have any idea what I just said.
Anyone can drive MT but not everyone can drive it well. Heel and toe skills take lots of practice and some will never master that and probably no longer have to since rev matching is now available. Basic MT skills are simply muscle memory but the real skills take time and practice. However, I'm afraid those are fading too with current technology.
k.alexander (01-15-2020)
Old 01-15-2020, 12:11 PM
Reiver
Drifting

Originally Posted by michael818
Anyone can drive MT but not everyone can drive it well. Heel and toe skills take lots of practice and some will never master that and probably no longer have to since rev matching is now available. Basic MT skills are simply muscle memory but the real skills take time and practice. However, I'm afraid those are fading too with current technology.
I first experienced rev matching in my wifes mini cooper....a bummer. Nailing the apex while you brake/double clutch/match rpms is a mini symphony if done well and you know if it was not just right....but another corner is coming.
I know I'd like a PDK, they sound amazing...but as another poster wrote when doing a DE with an instructor...'trust the PDK'...iow ...it is better than you are and it probably is...but that is not the fun I am seeking in driving. I can rev match in normal mode and it is still fun.....too bad one can't turn that feature off in sport.
k.alexander (01-15-2020)
Old 01-15-2020, 10:09 PM
BlueNorther
Pro

Received 153 Likes on 92 Posts

The rev matching in SC is too good. On the GTS's I've owned, I'd just leave it on sports plus most of the time and my rev matching/heal toe skills atrophied.I even installed the Rennline pedal extenders, blaming my poor skills on the pedal positioning. I spec'ed the 718 without SC on purpose, and I'm really enjoying having to heal toe and rev match on my own. Even into from 2nd grit into 1st in spots. I've found the pedal positions are perfect, now that I have no choice. Great skill to have back, adds another dimension to the MT involvement.
Old 01-16-2020, 12:14 AM
SoCal-NSX
Burning Brakes

Received 902 Likes on 402 Posts

Get a PDK, it's faster!!! They said

Get a PDK, it's the best transmission in the world!!! they said

all of which is true........but I miss my manual to tell you the truth
The following 3 users liked this post by SoCal-NSX:
k.alexander (01-16-2020), MRflat6 (02-20-2020), thigos (01-16-2020)
Old 01-16-2020, 12:33 AM
Reiver
Drifting

Originally Posted by SoCal-NSX
Get a PDK, it's faster!!! They said

Get a PDK, it's the best transmission in the world!!! they said

all of which is true........but I miss my manual to tell you the truth
Larry, the owner of the collection I often post pics of, purchased a 981 Cayman GT4 with PDK to track it a bit...he sold it after a month for the same thing you just mentioned. He has since ordered the spyder for Euro delivery...with a MT.
k.alexander (01-16-2020)
Old 01-16-2020, 12:42 AM
nerual13
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Larry, the owner of the collection I often post pics of, purchased a 981 Cayman GT4 with PDK to track it a bit...he sold it after a month for the same thing you just mentioned. He has since ordered the spyder for Euro delivery...with a MT.
<clears throat> Two pedals are for bicycles.
k.alexander (01-16-2020)
Old 01-16-2020, 02:21 AM
SoCal-NSX
Burning Brakes

yeah, in all honesty the PDK is all that it is cracked up to be and more instant with great down shift and you can always play around with the paddles or the shift style, but most the time I simply put it in sport and leave it in auto.

It was hard enough finding the spec I was hunting so when I found the one with most of what I wanted I jumped on it...thinking it would be a nice change....Don't get me wrong, It is an awesome car, but I just miss pushing a clutch pedal I guess

I don't agree with the notion that no one wants a manual anymore...... btw, the new GTS is manual only if what I read is correct.
Old 01-16-2020, 08:06 AM
.2PDK
Race Car

Received 1,296 Likes on 780 Posts

Originally Posted by nerual13
<clears throat> Two pedals are for bicycles.
True but you have to understand some of us have wives...
k.alexander (01-16-2020)
Old 01-16-2020, 11:36 AM
SoCal-NSX
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by .2PDK
haha...this is very true

"but honey, it's an auto! You can drive it too" sales pitch is important
Old 01-16-2020, 04:21 PM
.2PDK
Race Car

Received 1,296 Likes on 780 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCal-NSX
haha...this is very true

"but honey, it's an auto! You can drive it too" sales pitch is important
Bingo.

Happy wife, broke husband...
Old 01-16-2020, 10:21 PM
nerual13
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by .2PDK
I don't understand that whole reluctance ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It really isn't that hard to learn. Sucks for y'all!
Old 01-16-2020, 10:50 PM
Semitone
Pro

Received 122 Likes on 66 Posts

Anybody on here who thinks that driving a stick on a street car is an accomplishment worthy of praise has some pretty low standards. It isn't hard to learn. It doesn't require any particular talent. It just takes some practice.

If you enjoy it, fine...if not, fine also. Obviously, from the sales data, most people just don't care about the manual.

My wife prefers a stick, I prefer a stick, but after over twenty years of both of us owning nothing but manual cars, I bought a PDK just to mix it up. OK, my wife was a little disappointed, but she didn't leave me. After reading this thread, I just hope she isn't questioning my manhood!
michael818 (01-17-2020)
Old 01-17-2020, 12:05 AM
Reiver
Drifting

I don't think anyone is calling it an accomplishment....for basic driving. It is simply more involved and that in and of itself is the reward for most.

Now, double clutching while trail braking and blipping the throttle to maintain the balance and speed thru a corner....that is an accomplishment when executed properly into and thru the apex.

That is what your PDK does for you minus the trail braking....you don't have to set off as many neurons so are less involved making the process easier.

That's all.

Quick Reply: No one wants manual transmission 718!