Sponsored by:

No smoking package and iphone

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2019, 01:33 PM
rouxeny
Pro

Received 398 Likes on 196 Posts
Default No smoking package and iphone

Hi all. Does anybody have, or can they take, a photo of the non-smoking package storage cubby with their phone in it? Does an iPhone X or iPhone 11 (non max) fit?

sorry, I can’t tell from what I’ve read on line.

the smoking package seems to make a semi-useless storage space into a totally useless one?
Old 10-15-2019, 12:15 PM
abarthguy
Three Wheelin'

Received 283 Likes on 173 Posts

Not useless!
That is where I can easily plug in the trickle charger!!
Old 10-15-2019, 12:17 PM
MTB_KAB
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

It is too small to fit your phone for sure. While I am fine with that since I put mine in the arm rest to plug in for car play, the non smokers package cubby is so small that it is useless. I would personally have preferred to have the ash tray, so that I could at least use it to store some emergency gas money out of site.
Old 10-15-2019, 12:20 PM
rouxeny
Pro

Hmm, car play is not wireless?
Old 10-15-2019, 12:35 PM
MTB_KAB
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rouxeny
Hmm, car play is not wireless?
No it is not.

They do have a USB port and some sort of cell/antenna booster inside the arm rest though. It works great for me and I love that it is completely out of sight, no wires anywhere, when using it. It is however a bit of a pain to always remember to remove it when exiting the car.

Of course you can use the phone and play music over bluetooth wirelessly, just not Car Play.
Old 10-15-2019, 12:36 PM
Chester7
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 102 Posts

Not sure if there are other options for Apple Car Play, but I do plug mine into the USB port to make it work.
Old 10-15-2019, 01:30 PM
MTB_KAB
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Chester7
Not sure if there are other options for Apple Car Play, but I do plug mine into the USB port to make it work.
There are some aftermarket wireless car play adapters out there. I have never tried one, but heard mixed results.

I believe the new 911 comes with a wireless car play option, which I assume would be offered throughout the models at some point in the near future.
Old 10-15-2019, 05:47 PM
rouxeny
Pro

That’s disappointing. My cheapie 2 year old BMW has wireless car play. I tried putting my phone in the armrest today for a trial, and forgot it twice.

So it sounds like even if my phone could fit in the non-smoker’s package cubby, I wouldn’t be using it much because I’d have it plugged in for car play.

If that’s the case, is the phone holder option useful?
Old 10-15-2019, 06:46 PM
MTB_KAB
Intermediate

I am not sure, as I don't know what the phone holder option is. Others may be able to chime on that one. I personally hate having the phone mounted anywhere visible in a vehicle, which is why car play is so desirable for me.
Old 10-16-2019, 03:26 AM
rouxeny
Pro

This option. I assume it goes in the center armrest.
Old 10-16-2019, 11:05 AM
blackholescion
Pro

Received 198 Likes on 107 Posts

That’s disappointing. My cheapie 2 year old BMW has wireless car play. I tried putting my phone in the armrest today for a trial, and forgot it twice.

So it sounds like even if my phone could fit in the non-smoker’s package cubby, I wouldn’t be using it much because I’d have it plugged in for car play.

BMW is one of the first that did wireless carplay. Almost no OEMs do it, favoring a USB plug. While mine has largely been fine ion my M2, there have been times when my phone simply wouldn't connect. It is extremely convenient to never have to take my phone out of my pocket. It's something you'll have to get used to, for sure.
Old 10-20-2019, 02:20 PM
Racer20
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by MTB_KAB
No it is not.

They do have a USB port and some sort of cell/antenna booster inside the arm rest though. It works great for me and I love that it is completely out of sight, no wires anywhere, when using it. It is however a bit of a pain to always remember to remove it when exiting the car.

Of course you can use the phone and play music over bluetooth wirelessly, just not Car Play.
My S4 tells you "Your cell phone is still in the car" if you open the door with your phone still plugged in. Porsche's don't do that? I can't count how many times I would have left my phone in the car without that . . . considering the walk to my office from the parking lot is pretty long, that's a key feature for me . . .
Old 10-21-2019, 11:57 AM
MTB_KAB
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Racer20
My S4 tells you "Your cell phone is still in the car" if you open the door with your phone still plugged in. Porsche's don't do that? I can't count how many times I would have left my phone in the car without that . . . considering the walk to my office from the parking lot is pretty long, that's a key feature for me . . .
The PCM does display a message reminding you that you were connected to a device (either car play or bluetooth) but it just shows on screen for a bit as you are shutting down. I have to admit that I am not normally focused on the screen at that time, and have missed it more than a few times.

Quick Reply: No smoking package and iphone