Sponsored by:

Base 718 Cayman like/dislike?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2019, 04:03 PM
TomTarzian
Drifting

Received 573 Likes on 391 Posts
Default Base 718 Cayman like/dislike?

For those with a base 718 Cayman (or Boxster), how do you like it?

God bless,
TT

Last edited by TomTarzian; 08-22-2019 at 11:29 PM.
Old 07-25-2019, 04:24 PM
iliveoncaffiene
Burning Brakes

Received 397 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by TomTarzian
For those with a base 718 Cayman, how do you like it?

God bless,
TT
25000 daily-driven miles in mine (through winter as well):

Slight turbo lag off the line even with PDK, even with Sport/Sport+.
Overall, Sport/Sport+ quell any thoughts I had that the car is slow. Normal is great for putzing around without drama, but Sport/Sport+ remind you that it's a sports car.
Plenty of power, feels quicker than the 300hp Golf R I had previously (same power, just feels much better in this).
Brakes are plenty fine - I'm approaching replacement time (maybe?) for them.... hoping to stretch it through winter until I get my GT4
Would have loved to have full leather, but don't really miss it that much. I'd splurge for it in a more expensive version.

Outside of the smaller engine / different brakes, not much different can be said compared to the S/GTS - it's a great car.
General 718 gripes:
- Always get a random rattle from the rear hatch area. Pretty sure it's the rear cubby cover: the screws that hold it up are wiggly and the whole flexible cover is supposed to move... but that also makes a rattle sometimes.
- the cubbies behind the seat heads are nice, but extremely awkward to reach from any angle (I store an umbrella in one)
- Wish the steering wheel came closer to me. I have long legs and I can either sit where I like the wheel, but then my legs are uncomfortable - or I sit far back where my legs are comfortable, but I don't get the good, close grip of the steering wheel.
- The soundaktor is stupid, unplug that immediately
- Spoiler doesn't go down below 15mph (if you have it pressed) unless holding the button. If you turn off the car and you had the button pressed, it automatically then will put itself down above 15mph. General consensus: don't press it
- Parking sensors can get naughty sometimes and just randomly light up when sitting at a light. Luckily there's an overhead button to turn them off

In general, all of those are minor gripes.
The following users liked this post:
k.alexander (10-30-2019)
Old 07-25-2019, 05:35 PM
TomTarzian
Drifting

Originally Posted by iliveoncaffiene
25000 daily-driven miles in mine (through winter as well):

Slight turbo lag off the line even with PDK, even with Sport/Sport+.
Overall, Sport/Sport+ quell any thoughts I had that the car is slow. Normal is great for putzing around without drama, but Sport/Sport+ remind you that it's a sports car.
Plenty of power, feels quicker than the 300hp Golf R I had previously (same power, just feels much better in this).
Brakes are plenty fine - I'm approaching replacement time (maybe?) for them.... hoping to stretch it through winter until I get my GT4
Would have loved to have full leather, but don't really miss it that much. I'd splurge for it in a more expensive version.

Outside of the smaller engine / different brakes, not much different can be said compared to the S/GTS - it's a great car.
General 718 gripes:
- Always get a random rattle from the rear hatch area. Pretty sure it's the rear cubby cover: the screws that hold it up are wiggly and the whole flexible cover is supposed to move... but that also makes a rattle sometimes.
- the cubbies behind the seat heads are nice, but extremely awkward to reach from any angle (I store an umbrella in one)
- Wish the steering wheel came closer to me. I have long legs and I can either sit where I like the wheel, but then my legs are uncomfortable - or I sit far back where my legs are comfortable, but I don't get the good, close grip of the steering wheel.
- The soundaktor is stupid, unplug that immediately
- Spoiler doesn't go down below 15mph (if you have it pressed) unless holding the button. If you turn off the car and you had the button pressed, it automatically then will put itself down above 15mph. General consensus: don't press it
- Parking sensors can get naughty sometimes and just randomly light up when sitting at a light. Luckily there's an overhead button to turn them off

In general, all of those are minor gripes.
Thanks, caffeinated one. Appreciate the feedback. I drove one a week ago and was very pleasantly surprised.

God bless,
TT
Old 07-25-2019, 05:49 PM
Auric
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 23 Posts

- TLDR: An imperfect driver's car that feels like a refined S2000 with one flaw--the motor.
- I bought a base, my first "nice" car and I've wanted one since they were released when I was in college.
- Chassis is sublime. It's mid-engine and feels mid engine; the car rotates well (not as lively as the S2000).
- It's a bit noisy inside, but I it's a sports car and not bothered by this.
- It's a nice place to sit in; base radio is garbage and as a sound snob an expectation.
- No rattles in my 718 and have not had any issues with the parking sensors.
- The bad.... the motor is uninspiring. I don't know how Porsche did it, but they made it sound worse than a Subie and it sounds cheap.
- That being said, in day to day use, power is more than adequate, it does bog at lower revs, but I keep my tach high since I'm coming from an S2000.
- This car is not a "keeper," unlike my S2000 but it is a very good car.
- Owning a 718 has been bitter sweet for me, on the one hand I'm happy that I got something that I've lusted for for so long
- On the other, I am filled with a bit of sadness knowing how much greater it could have been, I think most would agree this is true for all the 982 Caymans including the GT4.
The following 2 users liked this post by Auric:
k.alexander (10-30-2019), porschedood5000 (08-01-2019)
Old 07-25-2019, 05:58 PM
TomTarzian
Drifting

Originally Posted by Auric
- TLDR: An imperfect driver's car that feels like a refined S2000 with one flaw--the motor.
- I bought a base, my first "nice" car and I've wanted one since they were released when I was in college.
- Chassis is sublime. It's mid-engine and feels mid engine; the car rotates well (not as lively as the S2000).
- It's a bit noisy inside, but I it's a sports car and not bothered by this.
- It's a nice place to sit in; base radio is garbage and as a sound snob an expectation.
- No rattles in my 718 and have not had any issues with the parking sensors.
- The bad.... the motor is uninspiring. I don't know how Porsche did it, but they made it sound worse than a Subie and it sounds cheap.
- That being said, in day to day use, power is more than adequate, it does bog at lower revs, but I keep my tach high since I'm coming from an S2000.
- This car is not a "keeper," unlike my S2000 but it is a very good car.
- Owning a 718 has been bitter sweet for me, on the one hand I'm happy that I got something that I've lusted for for so long
- On the other, I am filled with a bit of sadness knowing how much greater it could have been, I think most would agree this is true for all the 982 Caymans including the GT4.
Thanks!

God bless,
TT
porschedood5000 (08-01-2019)
Old 07-25-2019, 10:28 PM
BlueNorther
Pro

Received 153 Likes on 92 Posts

I got my 2019 base Boxster with manual transmission, PASM and PTV and (now standard PSE) three+ weeks ago. I love it. The much maligned turbo 4 is a great little engine. True it sounds like a motorboat at idle, but driven hard with the top down, it sounds raucous and actually sounds pretty good. The key is to keep the RPMS above 3K. Then turbo boost comes on quickly and without significant lag, and the pedals are ideally placed for proper heal toe fun (I did NOT want sports Chrono and the auto rev matching). However under 3K the engine is on life support, and under 2500 RPM dead in the water (at least when you want to quickly accelerate quickly). But with a manual, and proper planning, the dead zone can be largely avoided (like dropping to first before a slow turn). Sport exhaust cracked and pops on first to second upshift, and of course on aggressive down shifts. I've been taking it out for hour long spirited top down pre sunset back road twist dip and turn roads in the Green Mountains and having a great time. Guess which Porsche has been sitting in the garage since I've bought it, the 991.2 GTS coupe, a great and faster car, but not as fun on these small bumpy back roads, especially with the top down. YMMV, all depends on the intended use.
The following 4 users liked this post by BlueNorther:
abarthguy (07-27-2019), jimmex (07-25-2019), k.alexander (10-30-2019), porschedood5000 (08-01-2019)
Old 07-25-2019, 10:36 PM
TomTarzian
Drifting

Originally Posted by BlueNorther
I got my 2019 base Boxster with manual transmission, PASM and PTV and (now standard PSE) three+ weeks ago. I love it. The much maligned turbo 4 is a great little engine. True it sounds like a motorboat at idle, but driven hard with the top down, it sounds raucous and actually sounds pretty good. The key is to keep the RPMS above 3K. Then turbo boost comes on quickly and without significant lag, and the pedals are ideally placed for proper heal toe fun (I did NOT want sports Chrono and the auto rev matching). However under 3K the engine is on life support, and under 2500 RPM dead in the water (at least when you want to quickly accelerate quickly). But with a manual, and proper planning, the dead zone can be largely avoided (like dropping to first before a slow turn). Sport exhaust cracked and pops on first to second upshift, and of course on aggressive down shifts. I've been taking it out for hour long spirited top down pre sunset back road twist dip and turn roads in the Green Mountains and having a great time. Guess which Porsche has been sitting in the garage since I've bought it, the 991.2 GTS coupe, a great and faster car, but not as fun on these small bumpy back roads, especially with the top down. YMMV, all depends on the intended use.
Thanks for that great review!

God bless,
TT
Old 07-25-2019, 10:47 PM
BlueNorther
Pro

Received 153 Likes on 92 Posts

Your welcome, TT, I would also add that I believe that in addition to standard PSE the exhaust has been modified for MY 2019 for improved sound quality, so my impressions might not apply to older 718s. The build quality is suburb, no rattles or squeaks, and the base stereo is fine given the way I've been driving the car (almost always in Sport with PSE activated, top down, sound akkuator intact).
Old 07-25-2019, 10:52 PM
TomTarzian
Drifting

Originally Posted by BlueNorther
Your welcome, TT, I would also add that I believe that in addition to standard PSE the exhaust has been modified for MY 2019 for improved sound quality, so my impressions might not apply to older 718s. The build quality is suburb, no rattles or squeaks, and the base stereo is fine given the way I've been driving the car (almost always in Sport with PSE activated, top down, sound akkuator intact).
i drove a new base 718 last week at my dealer and was very impressed. I really liked it.

God bless,
TT
Old 07-26-2019, 12:34 AM
AmarilloMike
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I purchased a one-owner 2018 Cayman base last month. It had 3800 miles on it and I've put another 3,000 on it since then. PDK, Bose, Apple Car Play, the seat airconditioning and the 14 way electric seats are the options the car that I really like. Other options are black Carrera S wheels, the lighting option, the black Xenons - meh., I don't have PSE, PASM or PTV on mine.

This is my first Porsche. I have autocrossed it twice and driven it for basic transportation the rest of the time. I love the car. From a dead-stop the acceleration lags until about 2500 rrpm and then it's all there up through sixth gear. I think the PDK is a wonder. I've owned many sports cars - including a BMW Z3 M coupe with 300 hp, a Shelby Mustang with 300 hp, a Datsun 280Z, a Nissan 300ZX, a Chrysler Crossfire, a 1976 Corvette. The Base Cayman is my favorite and it's a long way to second.

The car is small and fun to drive. I'm very comfortable driving it to the grocery store or the office.

I like the way it sounds.
The following 2 users liked this post by AmarilloMike:
k.alexander (10-30-2019), L Tigre (08-02-2019)
Old 07-26-2019, 12:44 AM
TomTarzian
Drifting

Originally Posted by AmarilloMike
I purchased a one-owner 2018 Cayman base last month. It had 3800 miles on it and I've put another 3,000 on it since then. PDK, Bose, Apple Car Play, the seat airconditioning and the 14 way electric seats are the options the car that I really like. Other options are black Carrera S wheels, the lighting option, the black Xenons - meh., I don't have PSE, PASM or PTV on mine.

This is my first Porsche. I have autocrossed it twice and driven it for basic transportation the rest of the time. I love the car. From a dead-stop the acceleration lags until about 2500 rrpm and then it's all there up through sixth gear. I think the PDK is a wonder. I've owned many sports cars - including a BMW Z3 M coupe with 300 hp, a Shelby Mustang with 300 hp, a Chrysler Crossfire, a Corvette. The Base Cayman is my favorite and it's a long way to second.

The car is small and fun to drive. I'm very comfortable driving it to the grocery store or the office.

I like the way it sounds.
Thanks, Mike!

God bless,
TT
Old 07-26-2019, 12:45 AM
AmarilloMike
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Deleted. Wound up with a double post while trying to do an edit.

Last edited by AmarilloMike; 07-26-2019 at 01:09 AM.
Old 07-26-2019, 09:27 AM
TomTarzian
Drifting

Originally Posted by AmarilloMike
Deleted. Wound up with a double post while trying to do an edit.
Oh, it happens!

God bless,
TT
Old 07-27-2019, 09:51 AM
BillyX
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 68 Posts

I just turned over 3,000 miles on my 718 Cayman Base. It's a 2019 with the base seats, base suspension and a basic manual transmission. My Cayman is a daily drive for a 40 minute commute from rural to urban roads. So, it's sort of a tool rather than an accessory. The 2019 model came with the PSE, so the exhaust sound is exhilarating. I generally don't run the engine to 5 revs on the street and as a result do not lament the loss of the "sonorous exhaust of the 6-cylinder engine" that is regularly mentioned on forums. Sport mode provides additional pops and crackles. After a few cups of caffiene in the morning it hits me, I get to drive my Cayman again.

How do I like my base 718 Cayman? Yeah, I like it a lot!
k.alexander (10-30-2019)
Old 07-27-2019, 11:02 AM
TomTarzian
Drifting

Originally Posted by BillyX
I just turned over 3,000 miles on my 718 Cayman Base. It's a 2019 with the base seats, base suspension and a basic manual transmission. My Cayman is a daily drive for a 40 minute commute from rural to urban roads. So, it's sort of a tool rather than an accessory. The 2019 model came with the PSE, so the exhaust sound is exhilarating. I generally don't run the engine to 5 revs on the street and as a result do not lament the loss of the "sonorous exhaust of the 6-cylinder engine" that is regularly mentioned on forums. Sport mode provides additional pops and crackles. After a few cups of caffiene in the morning it hits me, I get to drive my Cayman again.

How do I like my base 718 Cayman? Yeah, I like it a lot!
Thanks, Billy, for that wonderful review. Appreciate it.

God bless,
TT

Quick Reply: Base 718 Cayman like/dislike?