Sponsored by:

Base 718 Cayman like/dislike?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2019, 11:03 PM
TomTarzian
Drifting

Received 573 Likes on 391 Posts

Originally Posted by ForeverCar
I’ve a 718 Cayman 6-speed manual coming (very minimal option). I had a 718 Cayman S for ~7000 miles and loved it. I intentionally went for the 2.0L as I think it’s be a very pure and fun car. I make fun of myself for getting old and not caring about pure performance and lap time. It’s all about the joy of driving. I’m very excited about the base 718 Cayman and will be happy to share my experience in a few months.
Looking forward to reading your evaluation.

God bless,
TT
Old 08-03-2019, 01:09 AM
GregWormald
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by L Tigre
Is there some difference between “chalk” and “crayon”?
Crayon and chalk--the only difference is the brand of english that you speak.

The 'fun' of the base is still extreme--the handling is sublime. Even if I can only use the acceleration a very few times a month and the top speed never, I have a good drive each time I'm out.
Old 08-04-2019, 07:54 PM
craig66
Pro

Received 499 Likes on 221 Posts

I myself just joined the forum and also became a Porsche owner for the first time.
I went for the boxster and even though this thread is about the cayman I though why not post.
I went with the Base model and vacillated about moving up but I can get into as much trouble as I wanted with just the base which was plenty fast.
I did not want too many options and managed to find a new boxster base with only the options I really wanted which was a nice find.
I went from a Mazda Miata which was an amazing handling car with a slick 6MT but felt it was tinny and mostly power less. My Porsche is amazing. It is solid and the power is incredible.
I was not sure about PDK vs MT. I loved my 6MT Miata but am an average shifter (no real heal toe stufff) and mostly enjoyed being able to choose which gear I was in to maximize the power curve. I did not feel that I had to necessarily be the one shifting if there was another way to achieve full use of the power curve. After testing both the MT and the PDK extensively I fell in love with the PDK. It allowed me to stay in the power curve above 3K at almost all times (especially on S mode). Shifting it to manual allowed me to use the paddle shifters to be in total control and yet still keep both hands on the wheel. Using the paddles in auto mode allowed me to shift down going into a curve or overtaking and then returning the control to the PDK. I actually enjoyed the curves more with the PDK as I was able to concentrate more on the curve than the shift.
It is an amazing amazing car and one that I am loving.
It is also exceptionally beautiful.

Dislike:
Having to Stay below 4K Rev for 2K miles ...GRRRRRR ...All the fun I had on my test drives with a used MT and a used PDK are on hold until I reach 2K miles - don't get me wrong I am still loving the break in but not bieng able to down shift for fear of sending it to even 5K revs is driving me nuts
The dead zone is a little annoying but is a little improved in manual mode
I still don't fully understand - anyone feel free to chime in - when the PDK takes over after I have done a manual shift while in automatic. Sometimes I down shift and within a couple of seconds PDK is back in control and sometimes it stays on partial manual mode even when I have come to a stop.
Old 08-05-2019, 05:24 AM
Omm
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got a base 2018 Cayman with Sport Chrono, PTV and PASM. In short, I love it. It's my DD and I've put a lot of time in it over a short period. I love the size, it feels cozy to me compared to a 911 which feels like a much bigger and heavier car (which it is). I love the way it handles due to being mid engine (I used to race carts when I was very young, so it's familiar to me). It really feels tight and responsive which is what I wanted after my SLK, kind of like the car is strapped onto me.

It has good torque and I like to keep the RPMs up, so when driving spiritedly, I don't have very much turbo lag. Going around town, it's fine in Normal mode, but my favorite driving mode when I get some road, is Sport+ with PASM activated and PSM in Sport chassis. This is the most responsive setting (except for disabling PSM) and the car feels like a little beast. The throttle response is smoother than in Sport mode, so it's easier for me to be a little smoother with inputs. The exhaust doesn't crackle, but I'm not listening to that when I've driving more aggressively. I also feel more connected than in PSM in Normal. The PDK is quick and smooth* and very good at predicting gear changes. I like the engine sound. I did install Soul's X-Pipe and tips, and think it made it sound a tiny bit better than before. I have the GT wheel and it feels just right for me.I bought the car for performance and it hasn't let me down, only appreciate it more and more.

The things I don't like are pretty trivial. I don't like having to shut off the fan every time I start the car, as it defaults to the last "on" setting, even if it was "off" when the car was shut down. CarPlay can be a little buggy with some apps, but Waze works perfectly (this is probably not Porsche's fault). I wish the Sport Chrono setting would hold on to the last setting when it was shut off, but it always reverts to "Normal" upon starting. I think the cup holders are novel, but the plastic seems a little delicate and I don't use them (I'm stretching here for things I dislike).

Once in a while, it'll get a little rough downshift going from second to first, especially if the RPMs are low, but I've read in other forums that Porsche considers this to be normal. Still, I'll have it checked out the next time I bring it to the dealer. It never happens in other gears.

The rocker panels can get little chips in front of the rear wheel, due to the wheel offset. My car is currently in getting them touched up before I PPF the rockers. With PASM, it's lowered an extra 10mm which means I have to be careful on some roads and entrances, but that's on me because I wanted PASM and do not regret it. No regrets at all with it. I consider a Z4, Alfa 4C and a F-Type. They all have some very nice aspects to them, but a Porsche is a Porsche.
Old 08-05-2019, 04:14 PM
L Tigre
8th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by craig66
I myself just joined the forum and also became a Porsche owner for the first time.
I went for the boxster and even though this thread is about the cayman I though why not post.
I went with the Base model and vacillated about moving up but I can get into as much trouble as I wanted with just the base which was plenty fast.
I did not want too many options and managed to find a new boxster base with only the options I really wanted which was a nice find.
I went from a Mazda Miata which was an amazing handling car with a slick 6MT but felt it was tinny and mostly power less. My Porsche is amazing. It is solid and the power is incredible.
I was not sure about PDK vs MT. I loved my 6MT Miata but am an average shifter (no real heal toe stufff) and mostly enjoyed being able to choose which gear I was in to maximize the power curve. I did not feel that I had to necessarily be the one shifting if there was another way to achieve full use of the power curve. After testing both the MT and the PDK extensively I fell in love with the PDK. It allowed me to stay in the power curve above 3K at almost all times (especially on S mode). Shifting it to manual allowed me to use the paddle shifters to be in total control and yet still keep both hands on the wheel. Using the paddles in auto mode allowed me to shift down going into a curve or overtaking and then returning the control to the PDK. I actually enjoyed the curves more with the PDK as I was able to concentrate more on the curve than the shift.
It is an amazing amazing car and one that I am loving.
It is also exceptionally beautiful.

Dislike:
Having to Stay below 4K Rev for 2K miles ...GRRRRRR ...All the fun I had on my test drives with a used MT and a used PDK are on hold until I reach 2K miles - don't get me wrong I am still loving the break in but not bieng able to down shift for fear of sending it to even 5K revs is driving me nuts
The dead zone is a little annoying but is a little improved in manual mode
I still don't fully understand - anyone feel free to chime in - when the PDK takes over after I have done a manual shift while in automatic. Sometimes I down shift and within a couple of seconds PDK is back in control and sometimes it stays on partial manual mode even when I have come to a stop.

I guess no one ever told me about the break-in period. I do know from general engine background that it's best not to rev it hard until you get a few thousand miles on it; but is this the official guidance?... under 4krpm for 2k miles? That is some kind of torture, I am sure I will not be 100% compliant.

On the PDK I was told it stays in manual for roughly 15s depending on your shift patterns. For me if I want to drive PDK mode I move the main PRND lever left, then it is in real manual and will accept your shift commands unless you make a true mistake. The indicators will show you this; only 'M' is lit when you activate it via the PRND lever; if you activate it with just the paddle you will see both 'M' and 'D' lit at the same time.
Old 08-06-2019, 12:56 AM
doctorold
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I was all set to buy a base Cayman until my purchasing agent saw an S model she liked (who am I to argue?). I drove a base model at PEC ATL and had a blast driving it. Unplug the soundaktor and the engine sounds authentic in the cabin. The base is a great car.

Quick Reply: Base 718 Cayman like/dislike?