Sponsored by:

Base 718 Cayman like/dislike?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2019, 02:28 PM
.2PDK
Race Car

Received 1,243 Likes on 751 Posts

Originally Posted by TomTarzian
Thanks, Billy, for that wonderful review. Appreciate it.

God bless,
TT
I was also in the market for a 718 Cayman base/s/GTS but will be waiting to see the C8.
Old 07-31-2019, 05:13 PM
napiers porsche
Track Day

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Picked mine up in Atlanta at the PEC and drove back to Texas. Great experience good road car. Low revs it is not fun. Above the 3,000 revs the car performs very well. I leave it in Sport mode and the engine performance and the sound is better. Radio doesn't bother me since I have hearing aids and usually leave the radio off with the windows down. Best handling car I have ever had. My previous best handler was an S2000 but this car is better. Have the 14 way seats and the interior package which makes for a very nice interior. I suggest ordering your own and waiting and for an extra treat pick it up in Atlanta at the Porsche Experience Center. One of the best car days I have had. Excellent car.
The following 3 users liked this post by napiers porsche:
abarthguy (08-01-2019), BillyX (07-31-2019), porschedood5000 (08-01-2019)
Old 07-31-2019, 05:50 PM
BillyX
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by napiers porsche
... Low revs it is not fun. Above the 3,000 revs the car performs very well. I leave it in Sport mode and the engine performance and the sound is better. Radio doesn't bother me since I have hearing aids and usually leave the radio off with the windows down. Best handling car I have ever had... Excellent car.
I agree almost completely at 99%! The 1% is the low torque and low power at low revs. This turns out to be an advantage (I'll admit, a tiny one) to the daily driver in urban, bumper to bumper, stop-and-go traffic.

I also wear hearing aids, so Sport Mode and SPE with no radio is just fine.
The following users liked this post:
porschedood5000 (08-01-2019)
Old 07-31-2019, 06:32 PM
TomTarzian
Drifting

Received 573 Likes on 391 Posts

Originally Posted by napiers porsche
Picked mine up in Atlanta at the PEC and drove back to Texas. Great experience good road car. Low revs it is not fun. Above the 3,000 revs the car performs very well. I leave it in Sport mode and the engine performance and the sound is better. Radio doesn't bother me since I have hearing aids and usually leave the radio off with the windows down. Best handling car I have ever had. My previous best handler was an S2000 but this car is better. Have the 14 way seats and the interior package which makes for a very nice interior. I suggest ordering your own and waiting and for an extra treat pick it up in Atlanta at the Porsche Experience Center. One of the best car days I have had. Excellent car.
Originally Posted by BillyX
I agree almost completely at 99%! The 1% is the low torque and low power at low revs. This turns out to be an advantage (I'll admit, a tiny one) to the daily driver in urban, bumper to bumper, stop-and-go traffic.

I also wear hearing aids, so Sport Mode and SPE with no radio is just fine.
Thanks so much for those additional reviews. Much appreciated.

God bless,
TT
porschedood5000 (08-01-2019)
Old 08-01-2019, 01:12 PM
bgsntth
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Agreed, my only complaint with the combination of a lack of torque and a very tall first gear is the hesitancy off the line from an initial stop. If you drive the base 6MT like most other MT vehicles you will (most likely) stall the base Cayman a few times in the first few weeks of ownership. Two years into my ownership of my base 6MT and I have completely adapted to the dead zone off the line, but would still prefer a bit more torque. My prior Cayenne GTS 6MT had the exact opposite issue.
Old 08-01-2019, 01:30 PM
Chester7
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 102 Posts

You are correct. My CGTS with manual is much more tractable in stop and go traffic than my V8 Audi S5. The T4 is a dream come true. Likely the case with the T6 too.
Old 08-01-2019, 06:53 PM
abarthguy
Three Wheelin'

Received 283 Likes on 173 Posts

I believe that this is the factor that swung me from the 6 to the 4 cyl. So easy going at low speeds in traffic which is most of the time. Roll on the throttle and it jumps to life!
My '92 964 has a big powerful 6 cyl. but the magic can only be enjoyed briefly on the street before I am into 'loose your license' territory...
Old 08-01-2019, 07:15 PM
TomTarzian
Drifting

Originally Posted by abarthguy
I believe that this is the factor that swung me from the 6 to the 4 cyl. So easy going at low speeds in traffic which is most of the time. Roll on the throttle and it jumps to life!
My '92 964 has a big powerful 6 cyl. but the magic can only be enjoyed briefly on the street before I am into 'loose your license' territory...
That's a beautiful 964!

God bless,
TT
Old 08-02-2019, 10:11 AM
L Tigre
8th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello All - I am new to this forum, just joined yesterday.

I purchased a new base 718 Cayman on Tuesday. My first ever Porsche. Obviously I'm still somewhat star-struck, so this is not an objective and mature review.

This car is incredible. Go buy one, like yesterday!

I can only really compare it against my other prior vehicle from roughly the same league: I formerly owned a Maserati Spyder (2002 with manual transmission). That Maserati was a great car... it was fast, it was beautiful, it liked to be driven hard, it was a blast in the hills. The Maserati went about it's business with some intensity but also a touch of elegance. It was a classy fast machine.

This 718 Cayman would chew that Maserati up, spit it out, and run over its remains. The 718 is substantially quicker even with ~85 fewer HP. 718 is tighter and faster... throttle response, chassis tuning, PDK shifts, steering, everything feels tight and lightning quick. Driving it is just awesome. The base model was so great that I did not even consider the S or GTS; I can get into too much trouble already with the base car.

I know there are complaints about the sound of the 4-cylinder. But here is an alternate perspective. First of all, the sound of a Porsche flat 6 has never been the worlds greatest sound IMHO. Pleasant but not sweet sweet music (as the Maerati V8 was. Personally I always found the flat 6 sound a bit gassy.) The turbocharged 4 in the base Cayman is loud and industrial. It's somewhat low, hard-sounding, and just a bit discordant. I really like the sound; it is in keeping with the car itself. It soounds kinda mean. This car is not a violin player after all; it is a competitive machine and it sounds like one.

In fact: Have you ever said about a person, as a compliment, "That guy is a machine!" ?

The 718 is "a machine", in the same way. In the same way, this is a compliment.

The following 3 users liked this post by L Tigre:
BlueNorther (08-02-2019), k.alexander (10-30-2019), Porsche911dream (09-30-2019)
Old 08-02-2019, 03:30 PM
TomTarzian
Drifting

Originally Posted by L Tigre
Hello All - I am new to this forum, just joined yesterday.

I purchased a new base 718 Cayman on Tuesday. My first ever Porsche. Obviously I'm still somewhat star-struck, so this is not an objective and mature review.

This car is incredible. Go buy one, like yesterday!

I can only really compare it against my other prior vehicle from roughly the same league: I formerly owned a Maserati Spyder (2002 with manual transmission). That Maserati was a great car... it was fast, it was beautiful, it liked to be driven hard, it was a blast in the hills. The Maserati went about it's business with some intensity but also a touch of elegance. It was a classy fast machine.

This 718 Cayman would chew that Maserati up, spit it out, and run over its remains. The 718 is substantially quicker even with ~85 fewer HP. 718 is tighter and faster... throttle response, chassis tuning, PDK shifts, steering, everything feels tight and lightning quick. Driving it is just awesome. The base model was so great that I did not even consider the S or GTS; I can get into too much trouble already with the base car.

I know there are complaints about the sound of the 4-cylinder. But here is an alternate perspective. First of all, the sound of a Porsche flat 6 has never been the worlds greatest sound IMHO. Pleasant but not sweet sweet music (as the Maerati V8 was. Personally I always found the flat 6 sound a bit gassy.) The turbocharged 4 in the base Cayman is loud and industrial. It's somewhat low, hard-sounding, and just a bit discordant. I really like the sound; it is in keeping with the car itself. It soounds kinda mean. This car is not a violin player after all; it is a competitive machine and it sounds like one.

In fact: Have you ever said about a person, as a compliment, "That guy is a machine!" ?

The 718 is "a machine", in the same way. In the same way, this is a compliment.

Thanks for that great review. Is your color Chalk?

God bless,
TT
abarthguy (08-02-2019)
Old 08-02-2019, 05:33 PM
L Tigre
8th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TomTarzian
Thanks for that great review. Is your color Chalk?

God bless,
TT
Yes Chalk.

I really was struck by the color at the dealer; but was kinda afraid to pull the trigger on it. Was afraid I would look back and find it weird; or regret not having a nice plain black or red one.

Happy to report the opposite; I 100% love the chalk.

Is there some difference between “chalk” and “crayon”?
Old 08-02-2019, 06:26 PM
2slow2speed
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by abarthguy
Nicely kept 964

The DeTomaso Pantera GTS parked next to your car looks pristine as well
abarthguy (08-02-2019)
Old 08-02-2019, 07:01 PM
Chester7
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 102 Posts

@L Tigre Your description of the joy of acquiring, driving and experiencing a unique color Porsche encapsulates the Porsche slogan "There is no substitute". You made my day!
Old 08-02-2019, 09:32 PM
ForeverCar
Burning Brakes

Received 454 Likes on 199 Posts

I’ve a 718 Cayman 6-speed manual coming (very minimal option). I had a 718 Cayman S for ~7000 miles and loved it. I intentionally went for the 2.0L as I think it’s be a very pure and fun car. I make fun of myself for getting old and not caring about pure performance and lap time. It’s all about the joy of driving. I’m very excited about the base 718 Cayman and will be happy to share my experience in a few months.
Old 08-02-2019, 11:02 PM
TomTarzian
Drifting

Originally Posted by L Tigre
Yes Chalk.

I really was struck by the color at the dealer; but was kinda afraid to pull the trigger on it. Was afraid I would look back and find it weird; or regret not having a nice plain black or red one.

Happy to report the opposite; I 100% love the chalk.

Is there some difference between “chalk” and “crayon”?
I saw it at PECATL and really liked it. Great choice!

God bless,
TT

Quick Reply: Base 718 Cayman like/dislike?