Notices
718 Forum 982 (718) 2016-Current Discussions about 718 Boxster Cayman Variants
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Talked to 2 dealers about production numbers on the GT4/Spyder and the return of.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2019, 06:16 PM
bruinmd
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Talked to 2 dealers about production numbers on the GT4/Spyder and the return of.....

......... the flat 6.

On the latter point, it's happening-- Porsche will go back to the flat 6 on the 718 line, which I'm aware is something that has already been discussed in other threads.

On the former point, I'm hearing different things: it appears that Porsche did not care for the mark ups by private sellers on the open market of the 981 spyders and GT4's after they had been acquired, so the 718's will be made in greater numbers.

The question is whether it will be over 2-3 years or just greater production over one year. One GM told me he thinks it will be likely be a one year run but with more cars made, but that's all speculation at this point.
Anyone hear anything on this front?
Old 07-13-2019, 12:07 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,193 Likes on 782 Posts

2 to 3 years doesn't mean full calendar or full model years in my opinion.

Europe later this year - year 1
NA 2020 - year 2
NA 2021 few months - year 3 (pending demand)
Old 07-13-2019, 01:10 AM
bruinmd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SToronto
2 to 3 years doesn't mean full calendar or full model years in my opinion.

Europe later this year - year 1
NA 2020 - year 2
NA 2021 few months - year 3 (pending demand)
I hope you're right, but porsche really seems intent on making sure demand is met with adequate supply this time around, as they don't want people buying these cars to turn around and charge premiums for them.

I think I'm going to graciously accept an allocation that was offered to me-- I'm still trying to decide on a Spyder vs taking one of the last build slots for a 991.2 Targa 4 GTS
Old 07-13-2019, 01:49 AM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Received 1,739 Likes on 951 Posts

IMHO, It’s comical that everyone thinks they are going to make floods of 982 Spyders and GT4s. Each generation they have stated the EXACT SAME THING. Porsche states that this is not a limited production car... They will make as many as the market requires is what they have said at every launch. Problem is supply is determined by more than one thing. 1. Dealer standing based on volume and dealer type 2. Dealer Forecasts based on deposits and current 718 sales numbers. 3. Factory Production Capacity... They have moved all production for the 982 series out of Zuffenhausen to Osnabrueck... which productions limits have not been disclosed. Also the notion that Porsche hates ADM is a joke... they say that to calm customers down. Reality is they love it. They never want cars sitting at lots. Porsche is driven by limited supply... people want what they can’t have. When the market crashed, Porsche had tons of inventory and dealer discounts were huge!!! They never want that again.
The following 3 users liked this post by n4v4nod:
dashanin (03-07-2022), DFW01TT (07-13-2019), SaintD (07-17-2019)
Old 07-13-2019, 07:20 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,193 Likes on 782 Posts

Originally Posted by bruinmd
I hope you're right, but porsche really seems intent on making sure demand is met with adequate supply this time around, as they don't want people buying these cars to turn around and charge premiums for them.

I think I'm going to graciously accept an allocation that was offered to me-- I'm still trying to decide on a Spyder vs taking one of the last build slots for a 991.2 Targa 4 GTS
The same was said for 991.2 GT3. Was two model years, 2018 and 2019. Made late 2017, 2018 and couple months of 2019.

I like the Targa too. Also interested in convertibles. Almost bought a Spyder back in 2012, went 997.2 instead as that is what I set out to buy. Having had the 991 GT4 I thought that was an awesome car just lacking some power. So the Spyder with all the GT4 underpinnings, more power, convertible should be awesome. Another thing I liked about the GT4 was the cockpit size, small. Feels like you are enveloped by the car. I think the Spyder is the winner between the two. Unless you want a 911, rear seats, proper top.
Old 07-13-2019, 08:47 AM
MEM82
Burning Brakes

Received 271 Likes on 151 Posts

I agree they are not going to flood the marker with gt4s and Spyder.

I remember they said they would try to meet all demand with the 991.2 gt3. I could not get a buildable slot for msrp anywhere.
Old 07-13-2019, 10:55 AM
BlackBeauty
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by MEM82
I agree they are not going to flood the marker with gt4s and Spyder.

I remember they said they would try to meet all demand with the 991.2 gt3. I could not get a buildable slot for msrp anywhere.
Amen to that - I have a slot for a Spyder but stupidly listened to the keyboard warriors that I should pay over MSRP, so instead of doing a Touring for 15k over I'm driving a GTS.
Old 07-13-2019, 04:09 PM
Tedster
Rennlist Member

Received 350 Likes on 172 Posts

Nope, the 718 is likely going to be electric or at least hybrid. Porsche has spent a fortune on the Taycan and adding the 718 volume will help spread that fixed cost. Dealer is lying or (charitably) misinformed.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...ic-sports-car/
Old 07-13-2019, 04:52 PM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Received 1,739 Likes on 951 Posts

Originally Posted by n4v4nod
Also the notion that Porsche hates ADM is a joke... they say that to calm customers down. Reality is they love it. They never want cars sitting at lots. Porsche is driven by limited supply... people want what they can’t have. When the market crashed, Porsche had tons of inventory and dealer discounts were huge!!! They never want that again.
After rereading this... I meant to write that Porsche isn’t saturating supply to eliminate ADM. They want demand and want to keep it that way. Wrote this at 3am in HKK during a layover.
Old 07-13-2019, 05:02 PM
BlueNorther
Pro

Received 153 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Tedster
Nope, the 718 is likely going to be electric or at least hybrid. Porsche has spent a fortune on the Taycan and adding the 718 volume will help spread that fixed cost. Dealer is lying or (charitably) misinformed. https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...ic-sports-car/
A voice of reason.
Old 07-13-2019, 05:26 PM
bruinmd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tedster
Nope, the 718 is likely going to be electric or at least hybrid. Porsche has spent a fortune on the Taycan and adding the 718 volume will help spread that fixed cost. Dealer is lying or (charitably) misinformed.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...ic-sports-car/
Well, that's totally contrary to what a GM of a dealership told me and what's been rumored: namely, that the next 718 will go back to a flat 6. He shared with me that Porsche is going go electric next on the Macan, but Porsche execs have no desire to do that with either the 992 or 718 lines anytime in the foreseeable future.
Take that FWIW
Old 07-13-2019, 05:31 PM
bruinmd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by n4v4nod
IMHO, It’s comical that everyone thinks they are going to make floods of 982 Spyders and GT4s. Each generation they have stated the EXACT SAME THING. Porsche states that this is not a limited production car... They will make as many as the market requires is what they have said at every launch. Problem is supply is determined by more than one thing. 1. Dealer standing based on volume and dealer type 2. Dealer Forecasts based on deposits and current 718 sales numbers. 3. Factory Production Capacity... They have moved all production for the 982 series out of Zuffenhausen to Osnabrueck... which productions limits have not been disclosed. Also the notion that Porsche hates ADM is a joke... they say that to calm customers down. Reality is they love it. They never want cars sitting at lots. Porsche is driven by limited supply... people want what they can’t have. When the market crashed, Porsche had tons of inventory and dealer discounts were huge!!! They never want that again.
I think you bring up a good point-- that Porsche probably loves the demand for their cars, but I don't know if they are bothered by the ADM's or not.
The GT2RS ADM's didn't last very long as more models started to enter the market.
I think --based on what more than one dealer has said-- that there will be more 718 Spyders/GT4's out than they made 981's, but I'm with you that it won't be a 'flood of the market'.
Anecdotally, in just speaking to a couple of dealers,t doesn't seem like the allocations are nearly as tough to come by as they were with the 981's.
Old 07-14-2019, 02:42 AM
AZWCat
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 23 Posts

Production numbers may be higher than 981, but the other side of the coin is demand. The new GT4 simply isn't the revelation that the 981 was. If you already have a 981, I see no reason to upgrade, especially given the significant price increase. All of this together will make the car more available.
Old 07-15-2019, 03:05 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 441 Likes on 263 Posts

AP in his interview with Catchpole stated very clearly that they will produce as many they can sell for at least 2/3 years
then you won t be surprised if they make 180 turn and re introduce the new naturally aspirated friendly EU emission GT4 engine in any of the 992.2 as a nostalgia added value
same for whatever comes for 718
Same for the manual
Late but they understood the lesson

So please stop this pathetic teens concert panic
Old 07-15-2019, 06:23 AM
RobMtz
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by fxz
AP in his interview with Catchpole stated very clearly that they will produce as many they can sell for at least 2/3 years
then you won t be surprised if they make 180 turn and re introduce the new naturally aspirated friendly EU emission GT4 engine in any of the 992.2 as a nostalgia added value
same for whatever comes for 718

Same for the manual
Late but they understood the lesson

So please stop this pathetic teens concert panic
992.2 Carrera T w/GT4 Engine + 6spd manual ... hype train I am on board!

Quick Reply: Talked to 2 dealers about production numbers on the GT4/Spyder and the return of.....