Sponsored by:

997 Turbo to GT4/Spyder or 718?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 12:55 PM
HardHitter
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 997 Turbo to GT4/Spyder or 718?

I owned a 997 Turbo for about a year. I wanted to switch up my car setup, so I sold both the Turbo and daily driver. I picked up a RS7 to play as my daily driver at the moment and am looking something to fulfill my weekend toy.

Something I've realized after buying the RS7 is that it makes no sense to have this stupid amount of power/torque when you don't have the road/space to enjoy it. To this day, the 2000 Miata that I owned was the most fun I've had in a car because you could rag on that and never have a worry about speed and parts were cheap.

With that said, I'm wondering if I could find something comparable and that is when I started looking at the Cayman/Boxsters. I haven't driven either, but was probably considering either a GT4/Spyder or a 718 and wanted to get your thoughts. Obviously, I'll need to find/test drive them myself, but I'm sure some of you went through the same and wanted to get your experience and what you ended up with and why.
Old 03-21-2019, 02:04 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 636 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by HardHitter
I owned a 997 Turbo for about a year. I wanted to switch up my car setup, so I sold both the Turbo and daily driver. I picked up a RS7 to play as my daily driver at the moment and am looking something to fulfill my weekend toy.

Something I've realized after buying the RS7 is that it makes no sense to have this stupid amount of power/torque when you don't have the road/space to enjoy it. To this day, the 2000 Miata that I owned was the most fun I've had in a car because you could rag on that and never have a worry about speed and parts were cheap.

With that said, I'm wondering if I could find something comparable and that is when I started looking at the Cayman/Boxsters. I haven't driven either, but was probably considering either a GT4/Spyder or a 718 and wanted to get your thoughts. Obviously, I'll need to find/test drive them myself, but I'm sure some of you went through the same and wanted to get your experience and what you ended up with and why.
Do you mean comparable to a Miata? If so, a GT4/Spyder or 718 aren't really comparable. Ragging on any of those will have you worrying about speed in a hurry.

In my garage I currently have a 2001 Miata, 2015 Boxster GTS, and 2017 911 Carrera. My thoughts:

The 911 is fast. Very, very fast. Triple digits with the blip of a throttle. Have to drive it really, really hard to push it on public roads. The experience of doing so is stressful and terrifying on several levels, but also exhilarating. That being said, it feels remarkably light and nimble in daily driving.

The Boxster is pretty much perfect. Want to comfort cruise with the top down and watch the scenery go by? Perfect. With heated and ventilated seats you can do it any time of year. Want to spike your adrenaline and wail on it around your favorite back roads? It can do that too. And you'll never feel like it is going to bite you.

The Miata, truth be told, is the most sensible car for enjoying public roads. You can hammer it all day long and not worry about going to jail. It's a faithful companion that never fails to put a smile on your face.

If you *really* want something close to the Miata experience get another Miata. Any Miata! If you want a Porsche more closely aligned with the Miata experience consider something like a Base 987. But you won't go wrong with a Boxster/Cayman of any flavor.

All depends on your want and needs. Define those a bit more and we can start refining your options.
Old 03-21-2019, 04:28 PM
HardHitter
Racer

Originally Posted by CaymanSinAR
Do you mean comparable to a Miata? If so, a GT4/Spyder or 718 aren't really comparable. Ragging on any of those will have you worrying about speed in a hurry.

In my garage I currently have a 2001 Miata, 2015 Boxster GTS, and 2017 911 Carrera. My thoughts:

The 911 is fast. Very, very fast. Triple digits with the blip of a throttle. Have to drive it really, really hard to push it on public roads. The experience of doing so is stressful and terrifying on several levels, but also exhilarating. That being said, it feels remarkably light and nimble in daily driving.

The Boxster is pretty much perfect. Want to comfort cruise with the top down and watch the scenery go by? Perfect. With heated and ventilated seats you can do it any time of year. Want to spike your adrenaline and wail on it around your favorite back roads? It can do that too. And you'll never feel like it is going to bite you.

The Miata, truth be told, is the most sensible car for enjoying public roads. You can hammer it all day long and not worry about going to jail. It's a faithful companion that never fails to put a smile on your face.

If you *really* want something close to the Miata experience get another Miata. Any Miata! If you want a Porsche more closely aligned with the Miata experience consider something like a Base 987. But you won't go wrong with a Boxster/Cayman of any flavor.

All depends on your want and needs. Define those a bit more and we can start refining your options.
My wants/needs is a reasonably priced car that will be a lot of fun to drive. I feel as though the Boxster/Cayman platform is going to be what I want, but don't know which is going to be best

981 S/GTS, GT4/Spyder or 718 S/GTS
Old 03-21-2019, 04:57 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 636 Likes on 402 Posts

981 S/GTS, GT4/Spyder or 718 S/GTS
Good luck choosing between those options because there isn't a bad one among them.

A few random thoughts...

The GT4/Spyder look special, sound special, and drive special. There are plenty for sale so finding one that fits your wants shouldn't be too difficult. Whether or not you'd consider them reasonably priced is something only you can answer. But keep in mind even with the eventual release of the 718 GT4/Spyder the 981 GT4/Spyder will hold their value quite well in the future.

The 718 S/GTS is phenomenal. The noise it makes, inside and outside, is a subject of much debate. Some like it and some hate it. If it tickles your fancy you're good to go. You can get a screaming deal on a brand new 718.

The 981 S/GTS is another solid choice. The S could be the sweet spot in terms of budget and performance. The GTS models are still selling quite high. Particularly the Caymans. You simply can't beat the wail of that NA flat six. But ultimately the 718 is faster, and has a better interior and newer infotainment technology.

Let me throw out a dark horse suggestion: the 987 Cayman R/Boxster Spyder. In terms of pure driving dynamics that might very well be my pick for best weekend toy.
Old 03-30-2019, 11:04 AM
mc3456
Rennlist Member

Received 471 Likes on 276 Posts

Currently, have a 2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio and 2018 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Quadrifoglio. Was looking to add either an Alfa 4C Spider or 718 Boxster GTS for the open top sports car. Tough choice between the two as the 4C is way more visceral to drive than the GTS, but the GTS is much more versatile...more of a daily driver. Question is, does it get boring after a while or not. Pretty positive the 4C will never get boring, plus the entry price is much more reasonable, so if you ever get tired of the experience, it is fairly easy to offload being much more exclusive. They do very well in the used market. Going back to dealership to re-test the GTS today. Second impressions are usually the more important ones as you tend to notice other stuff you missed on the fist pass through. We’ll see how it goes...
Old 03-30-2019, 11:10 AM
HardHitter
Racer

Quick update on this. I was able to test drive a 718 Boxster S last weekend. I didn't push it too hard in the corners since I didn't know the limits, but it was a nimble car. I'd like to get more seat time behind it before I make a decision.

Same day unfortunately, the dealership had a 2015 GT3...got into that and yea haha.

Going to test drive a 981 Spyder this morning so I'll have a good sense of all models.
Old 03-30-2019, 11:39 AM
mc3456
Rennlist Member

Received 471 Likes on 276 Posts

Quick update on this. I was able to test drive a 718 Boxster S last weekend. I didn't push it too hard in the corners since I didn't know the limits, but it was a nimble car. I'd like to get more seat time behind it before I make a decision.

Same day unfortunately, the dealership had a 2015 GT3...got into that and yea haha.

Going to test drive a 981 Spyder this morning so I'll have a good sense of all models.
Have considered a 981 Spyder too, but there are none locally available to test drive. That is probably a good middle ground between the 718 Boxster GTS and Alfa 4C Spider. My only concern on the 981 Spyder is that prices are falling now that the 718 Spyder is close to being unveiled. Have seen a huge spike in cars for sale recently. Not a great sign.
Old 03-30-2019, 11:42 AM
HardHitter
Racer

Originally Posted by mc3456
Have considered a 981 Spyder too, but there are none locally available to test drive. That is probably a good middle ground between the 718 Boxster GTS and Alfa 4C Spider. My only concern on the 981 Spyder is that prices are falling now that the 718 Spyder is close to being unveiled. Have seen a huge spike in cars for sale recently. Not a great sign.
Exactly my concern. Rumors are the 718 GT4 is to be announced in July, assuming the Spyder will be as well.
Old 03-30-2019, 10:05 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,881 Likes on 1,904 Posts

Drive a 981 Spyder. Power and grip levels are perfect for a fun street car, and it doesn’t have the ‘designed for China’ look of the 718.

Quick Reply: 997 Turbo to GT4/Spyder or 718?