Just Joined - First Purchase Coming! Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 06:13 PM
aldiaz2331
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just Joined - First Purchase Coming! Questions

Hey Everyone!

Obviously new to the forum, just found it a few hours ago. I am in the process of ordering a Cayman S with all sorts of little goodies, it will be my first Porsche! I'm really excited and actually had a nice experience when I visited the dealership. I feel like I got more respect and was taken care of much better than when I purchased my Cadillac some years back.

Anywho, with ordering the car, what is the best time to start nailing down the actual price? I am used to buying cars, but I normally take what's on the lot unless there's nothing close to what I want, and I'm very picky! I've heard that you don't actually start talking about costs until the car comes in, and the negotiating (whatever little there may be with a custom order) begins.

Lastly, what are some of the real world MPG figures everyone is seeing from the 2.5L S? I don't particularly care, but am still curious if it's staying true to the sticker. Of course, I'm sure everyone is driving them to enjoy them, so what it will most likely be is, not even close because we all have the lead foot and heavy hand on the shifter. Thanks everyone for your thoughts in advance. I look forward to becoming part of the Porsche Owners family.

BTW: My build

Base Price 718 Cayman S

Exterior Color
Agate Grey Metallic
Interior Color
Standard Interior in Black i.c.w. Leather Sport Seats Plus
Packages
Premium Package Plus i.c.w. Adaptive Sport Seats Plus (18-way)
Bi-Xenon™ Headlights with Porsche Dynamic Light System
Light Design Package
Auto-Dimming Mirrors with Integrated Rain Sensor
Porsche Entry & Drive
2-Zone Automatic Climate Control
Seat Heating
Seat Ventilation
Exterior
"718 Cayman S" Logo changed to "718"
Headlight Cleaning System Covers Painted in Exterior Color Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur
Fuel Cap with Aluminum Look Finish Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur
Performance
6-speed Manual Transmission
Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM) (Lowered 10 mm)
Sport Chrono Package
Sport Tailpipes in Silver Porsche Exclusive Manufaktur
Power Steering Plus
Wheels
19" Boxster S Wheels
Lights and Vision
Power Folding Exterior Mirrors
Interior
GT Sport Steering Wheel
Adaptive Sport Seats Plus (18-way) with Memory Package
Luggage Net in Passenger Footwell
Audio and Communications
BOSE® Surround Sound System
Apple CarPlay® incl. Siri®
Old 01-21-2019, 08:14 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 153 Posts

welcome to Porsche ownership. Have you considered a GTS since it comes standard with some of your options and includes some other nice features. If not, consider PSE for aural entertainment.
Old 01-21-2019, 08:20 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,279 Likes on 1,045 Posts

Originally Posted by aldiaz2331
Hey Everyone!

Obviously new to the forum, just found it a few hours ago. I am in the process of ordering a Cayman S with all sorts of little goodies, it will be my first Porsche! I'm really excited and actually had a nice experience when I visited the dealership. I feel like I got more respect and was taken care of much better than when I purchased my Cadillac some years back.

Anywho, with ordering the car, what is the best time to start nailing down the actual price? I am used to buying cars, but I normally take what's on the lot unless there's nothing close to what I want, and I'm very picky! I've heard that you don't actually start talking about costs until the car comes in, and the negotiating (whatever little there may be with a custom order) begins.

Lastly, what are some of the real world MPG figures everyone is seeing from the 2.5L S? I don't particularly care, but am still curious if it's staying true to the sticker. Of course, I'm sure everyone is driving them to enjoy them, so what it will most likely be is, not even close because we all have the lead foot and heavy hand on the shifter. Thanks everyone for your thoughts in advance. I look forward to becoming part of the Porsche Owners family.
If you are ordering a custom car, you need to negotiate upfront and usually put a down payment on the car. Some dealers don't require a down payment if the build isn't bizarre. It takes roughly 12 weeks from order to delivery (depends which part of the country). If you are getting one off the lot, you need to find one you want and then start negotiating. You will be able to get a better deal off of one on the lot. Dealers want to move them. Check out this thread for discounts. https://rennlist.com/forums/718-foru...discounts.html
Filter out the ridiculous ones that are off the charts and take an average and that is what you should try to beat.

Originally Posted by MidEngineRules
welcome to Porsche ownership. Have you considered a GTS since it comes standard with some of your options and includes some other nice features. If not, consider PSE for aural entertainment.
Cayman S now comes standard with PSE.
Old 01-21-2019, 08:26 PM
aldiaz2331
Cruisin'

Thanks for the welcome! The GTS would be about 5k more and I don't see much that I would necessarily want or care about for the money. PSE I'm assuming you mean the sport exhaust? The S has it as a standard feature. I believe the base Cayman has it as well for 2019. It shows up on Standard for both of them. Please let me know if I'm not correct, I don't see an option, and I don't want to miss out!
Old 01-21-2019, 08:28 PM
aldiaz2331
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by subshooter
If you are ordering a custom car, you need to negotiate upfront and usually put a down payment on the car. Some dealers don't require a down payment if the build isn't bizarre. It takes roughly 12 weeks from order to delivery (depends which part of the country). If you are getting one off the lot, you need to find one you want and then start negotiating. You will be able to get a better deal off of one on the lot. Dealers want to move them. Check out this thread for discounts. https://rennlist.com/forums/718-foru...discounts.html
Filter out the ridiculous ones that are off the charts and take an average and that is what you should try to beat.

Cayman S now comes standard with PSE.
Thank you for the information! I put down a deposit to secure my build spot. I will talk to the dealership as soon as I finalize my build, which looks pretty locked in at this point. I will be sure to start negotiating on it now. Thanks again!
Old 01-21-2019, 08:33 PM
Fred V
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Your car is very well configured. All 2019 718 models come with PSE as standard, but MidEngineRules is right: you need to consider a GTS. It might be pricier, but your current build is considered highly optioned so you will lose money on a lot of your options at resale.

By going the GTS route you will not only have a better car and more features, you will also ensure your resale value reflects your spec more accurately.

I am advising you as I'd advise any of my customers, I would strongly push you to go the GTS route.
Old 01-21-2019, 08:50 PM
Semitone
Pro

Received 122 Likes on 66 Posts

Congrats, and I hope you enjoy your car.

Personally, I negotiated before I put down a deposit. Never occurred to me to do it any other way. Even after we agreed and my order was locked and in v200 it was still like pulling teeth to get my dealer to send me a purchase contract and take a deposit. They did eventually send me the paperwork and all went smoothly in the end but they didn't seem to really care.

In terms of MPG, I get squat. I drive my car pretty hard and would guess I get somewhere around 18-19 mpg. I've seen many guys claim they get in the 30's which I just don't understand. They must be at 1500 rpms all the time or on the highway in 6th/7th...downhill. ( I have a 718 CGTS)
Old 01-21-2019, 11:55 PM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 435 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by MidEngineRules
For MY19 all trims come with PSE. I agree, look at the GTS. Mine is still too new to get mpg numbers yet. With the manual the up shift indicator comes on to prompt you to shift, this of course if very early in the RPM range and is for fuel economy not performance or fun.
Old 01-22-2019, 05:12 AM
xsyclubs
AutoX

Definitely start negotiating immediately for 6-8% discount range, if dealer is not willing to budge, call around and negotiate with other dealers. I also negotiated (~ 2weeks ago) after putting down my deposit. And as someone else mentioned on here, explore the GTS as it might give you more bang for your buck.

Lastly if you're planning to finance, you might be able to score a 2018 model with significant $$$ savings, although they might not have the exact build you're looking for.
Old 01-22-2019, 10:53 AM
aldiaz2331
Cruisin'

Thanks again everyone for all of the great information and recommendations. It's nice to see the members so eager to help!

I am going to see what might make sense for a GTS. I'm not sold on it yet, but I've been known to talk myself into plenty of things before . I am also looking at a few other dealerships that are within a few hundred miles for possible 2018's. I was trying to time everything for the end of April timeframe, so we shall see how that works out.

I am going to finance a good bit of the cost, and have a chunk to put down. I think I can probably get close to what I want, but there are so many white Cayman's, and I DON'T WANT WHITE hahah. I really want that Agate Gray!
Old 01-22-2019, 01:07 PM
SharkB8
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Congrats and welcome to the club!! Where are you located? It may help in sourcing who's got what, and the discounts available
Old 01-22-2019, 01:09 PM
aldiaz2331
Cruisin'

I'm located in upstate NY, Rochester area. In between Syracuse and Buffalo.
Old 01-22-2019, 10:45 PM
Carrera-T
Rennlist Member

Received 613 Likes on 250 Posts

I would think that you should have negotiated a discount before placing your deposit. Could be wrong but now, if you can’t get a solid discount, you would have to walk and start over again at another dealer. I would shoot for 10% on a built to order 718, especially given your highly optioned spec.

Best of luck and enjoy the purchase, it’s part of the fun.
Old 01-23-2019, 08:06 AM
ldamelio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,017 Likes on 552 Posts

Nice spec, not much to add to above. Your car is near identical to my 2018, also my first Porsche. Only differences are 20" wheels, I went PDK (tough decision and still ambivalent) and I skipped Apple Car Play (Android user). Wish I had gotten sport chrono. GTS wasn't out yet when I purchased. As others have said, every dealer lists their inventory online, so you may find something you like cheaper on a lot (or use this as a bargaining chip if necessary). Post some pics when it comes in!
Old 01-24-2019, 09:57 AM
Yc911Kid
Three Wheelin'

Received 862 Likes on 453 Posts

I'd look at a GTS instead given your s has a relatively high build
Full leather makes a big difference especially the two tone / sport-tex ones, comes with contrast stitching as well for the price I think it's a bargain almost must have assuming it's not a pure track toy
I wouldn't bother with 18way, 2 way sport plus is good enough if not better
I'd get gt steering wheel with heating/multi-function, it's one of the two options I hope I have on my current 718gts (the other being led lights)
Get a color-ed belts if you decide to go with all blk int

Quick Reply: Just Joined - First Purchase Coming! Questions