Sponsored by:

New 718 discounts?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2018, 10:17 AM
ifoney
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default New 718 discounts?

Did you get a discount on MSRP for your new Cayman base or S over sticker? I was looking around for a previous gen cpo for a while now and about to give up and get a new 718, since they are in plentiful supply is the market good?
Old 07-02-2018, 10:38 AM
iliveoncaffiene
Burning Brakes

Received 396 Likes on 234 Posts

Between 5-10% is commonplace.
Old 07-02-2018, 02:26 PM
dchang81
Instructor

Received 67 Likes on 28 Posts

local dealer had 2017s for 15% off. not sure about 2018s. market does seem soft but was also told that they decreased production to limit supply.
Old 07-02-2018, 05:59 PM
ldamelio
Rennlist Member

Received 894 Likes on 480 Posts

6% on a 2018 Cayman S in January. I didn't press hard and probably could have gotten a little more off. I went on a bitter cold early January day when traffic was otherwise nonexistent at the dealership. 6% seems to be about the median - there are a bunch of these threads around the Internet. Discount will vary as to whether you're ordering or taking a car off the lot; dealer margin based on options, time of month, etc.
Old 07-02-2018, 11:26 PM
dchang81
Instructor

6% for off the lot or ordered car? yeah prices seem to vary wildly. like I said one dealer not far away has it on their website 15% off all 2017. another dealer asking crazy money for used 2017 with 10k miles at 10% off sticker, but who knows what they are actually selling for, and they go through their inventory pretty quickly
Old 07-03-2018, 07:56 AM
ldamelio
Rennlist Member

Received 894 Likes on 480 Posts

Mine was 6% off existing car at another dealer in the region. I had internet shopped all regional inventory and found a car that was pretty much exactly my desired spec at a dealer slightly less convenient to me. Also, my local dealer has a rich, long Porsche history (the former Holbert's) so I figured it would be better to deal with their service department for track needs, etc. My dealer swapped an allocation for my car. As we were discussing whether that was possible and the relative prices, I was told that ordering or doing this I would get the same price within 1 or 2 %. Again, to save you some time, there are a lot of threads out there about this. People tend to emphasize the extremes (and no reason not to try for a big discount), but the median is 6% or so. Many factors go into this:

How long car has been on lot (check date of manufacture on door frame) and time of month - dealers pay interest on the car on the 1st; you usually get slightly better price at end of month. Tjere's a highly optioned chalk CS that approaches GTS options and price on the lot locally for 8 months - I bet you could get 10% or more off that one.
Local factors for dealership and sales associate - their cash flow, recent sales volume, etc.
Time of year - very few Boxsters sold in January in cold regions.

And probably many others I'm not aware of.
Old 07-03-2018, 05:03 PM
msacks
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi, I just purchased my first Porsche ever! Super excited and having a blast, can't stop smiling every time I get behind the wheel!

I purchased a new 2018 Cayman Base off the lot. My discount was 11.44%. I even got the dealer to throw in the pre-installed Lo/Jack for free (I refused to pay for it, and they didn't want to uninstall it - it's on all this dealerships cars).

There was another post here on the forums somewhere that stated the general rule of thumb was to take 10% off the base price of the car, and 15% off all the options. On my car, that worked out to 11.04%, but through negotiation, I got them down to 11.44%.

The 2019's are going to start arriving soon, so the dealers are starting to get motivated to move the 2018 inventory off their lot.

If I can be of any help to you in your negotiations, please let me know.
Old 07-03-2018, 05:17 PM
dchang81
Instructor

that's a great price on a 2018. I do say that if you're gonna keep it longer totally worth the extra percent or two to get what you want. main issue I have is 95% are PDK, and the only non negotiable option for me and the wife is a manual.
Old 07-03-2018, 07:16 PM
msacks
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I initially felt the same way about the PDK, but I have to say it’s a blast to drive. The shifts are incredibly snappy, and overall performance is fantastic. Also, you can still manually shift with the steering wheel paddles or the shifter.

FWIW, the published zero to sixty times for the PDK are faster than the manual. If you haven’t already driven a PDK equipped Cayman, give it a shot, it might make you change your mind.
Old 07-05-2018, 04:11 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,133 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by msacks
I initially felt the same way about the PDK, but I have to say it’s a blast to drive. The shifts are incredibly snappy, and overall performance is fantastic. Also, you can still manually shift with the steering wheel paddles or the shifter.

FWIW, the published zero to sixty times for the PDK are faster than the manual. If you haven’t already driven a PDK equipped Cayman, give it a shot, it might make you change your mind.
For some folks, it is truly non-negotiable. I include myself in that lot.

I have a Macan with PDK, I've had an M4 with DCT, and I've driven plenty of PDK-equipped 718s as loaners and they're all great in their own way; particularly on track and in traffic. I personally just need a manual for all the in-between.

It does take some of your negotiating power away though because the manuals are in such short supply. Some could argue the demand is significantly less as well but when I was in the same position I felt that my options were limited and I would have had a much easier time if PDK wasn't off the table... but like I said, PDK was a non-starter for me, and it seems OP is in the same camp.
Old 07-06-2018, 09:46 AM
rdmustang
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by manifold danger
For some folks, it is truly non-negotiable. I include myself in that lot.

I have a Macan with PDK, I've had an M4 with DCT, and I've driven plenty of PDK-equipped 718s as loaners and they're all great in their own way; particularly on track and in traffic. I personally just need a manual for all the in-between.

It does take some of your negotiating power away though because the manuals are in such short supply. Some could argue the demand is significantly less as well but when I was in the same position I felt that my options were limited and I would have had a much easier time if PDK wasn't off the table... but like I said, PDK was a non-starter for me, and it seems OP is in the same camp.
I spent over a year trying to find the right Boxster and the only two must have requirements were Night Blue Metallic, Manual, and S or better trim. I found a total of two models over that ~14 month period within the United States. One was in a major accident and one was largely overpriced. I ended up having to order a new car which I really didn't want to due for cost reasons.

What irritated me was how many dealers listed the car as "manual" because PDK is often referred to as "auto-manual."
Old 07-06-2018, 11:52 AM
Wine.o
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rdmustang
I spent over a year trying to find the right Boxster and the only two must have requirements were Night Blue Metallic, Manual, and S or better trim. I found a total of two models over that ~14 month period within the United States. One was in a major accident and one was largely overpriced. I ended up having to order a new car which I really didn't want to due for cost reasons.

What irritated me was how many dealers listed the car as "manual" because PDK is often referred to as "auto-manual."
Yeah, I got there a bit faster. My dealbreakers were manual, S or better, non-black interior (I put the top down a lot). I found quickly that when I could find something close, the cost of Porsche options mean anything added that you don't care about or just don't want jack the price up so quickly. I found that for just $4k more (and a 4 month wait) I could get exactly what I wanted. And yes, PDKs are not manuals... and "Leather package" does not mean a leather interior.
Old 07-15-2018, 04:58 PM
SINY993er
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey All - just started my search for a 718. Local dealer gave me 8% off a new 2018 718 S over email and 7% off a 2018 new GTS.

Seeing several nicely equipped 2017 CPO "launch" 718 Ss for about 20% off MSRP and sub 6K miles. These cars all had $85K+ MSRPs. Anything I'm missing with these launch cars? You get the CPO, almost no miles, all well optioned and save another $10K off of buying new.
Old 07-16-2018, 10:58 PM
incursion
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 56 Posts

I got 8% off an order for a lease with .002 money factor in SoCal.
Old 07-18-2018, 07:32 PM
fronesis47
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by incursion
I got 8% off an order for a lease with .002 money factor in SoCal.
Was that for an order just placed, i.e. a 2019 model-year?

Care to PM me the dealer name....?

Quick Reply: New 718 discounts?