Sponsored by:

718 vs 981 Boxster, which one?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2019, 11:52 AM
chriswd62
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by MidEngineRules
Increasing torque in a 718 makes little sense. It spins up the wheels as is. BTW, Michelin doesn't make a Cup 2 in 20" for the platform, so for the GTS you'd have to solve this another way. Michelin didn't make Cup 2s for my 2016 Spyder either, which was upsetting as had I kept the car, I was going to change from the PZeros and most likely would have had to settle for the Pilot Sport 4S. I have Cup 2s on my Focus RS and love them for daily driving & trash hauling lol.
They make the Cup 2 in a 245/35r20 front and 295/30r20 rear, which fit on the factory 718 GTS 20" wheels no problem (preferably on the Carrera Sport wheel option which are 20x8.5 and 20x10.5). If you want to run aftermarket, many people run 19x9 and 19x10.5 or 11, with 265 front and 305 rear. That is more than enough tire for these cars.
Old 02-01-2019, 01:30 PM
duegatti
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

When some argue then need a wall of torque yet must have a 6mt for an engaging drive, I wonder if they realize how unengaging a wall of torque is. NA is far more engaging than turbo, and balance is key in this platform.
If one were so inclined, one could effectively side step the unengaging 718 wall of torque, ignore it, pretend it's not there, and use the transmission - amazingly, whether it is manual or PDK - to drive around at higher engine speeds.

I don't know; maybe it's where I live, and the roads that I have at my disposal (east TN/west NC). There are so many tight roads here, road speed is not the issue. I do largely ignore the unengaging wall of torque. I paddle shift in Sport or Sport+ 99% of the time. I use the PDK as a manual engine speed adjustment, and keep it between ~4 and 6 grand, where I find the car to be responsive, and engaging. I suppose I could take a Sharpie, and write a "6" and "8" over the "4" and "6" on my tach, and shout "Vrooom vrooom!", and capture some of that NA experience. (I've driven a NA Boxster, albeit an old one, and I marveled at how smooth it was at 6 grand - and how necessary it was to keep it there. It was engaging. And a pain in the ***.)

But when I'm in town, or in cruise on the highway, I appreciate the option to drop it down to 3 grand, where it is also responsive, and pretty quiet, by my standards. I do not enjoy driving my car in Drive, either in Normal or Sport mode (it's okay in Sport+, but I still paddle shift), in town, back roads, or highway. But I don't have to, so I don't.
Old 02-01-2019, 02:00 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by duegatti
If one were so inclined, one could effectively side step the unengaging 718 wall of torque, ignore it, pretend it's not there, and use the transmission - amazingly, whether it is manual or PDK - to drive around at higher engine speeds.

I don't know; maybe it's where I live, and the roads that I have at my disposal (east TN/west NC). There are so many tight roads here, road speed is not the issue. I do largely ignore the unengaging wall of torque. I paddle shift in Sport or Sport+ 99% of the time. I use the PDK as a manual engine speed adjustment, and keep it between ~4 and 6 grand, where I find the car to be responsive, and engaging. I suppose I could take a Sharpie, and write a "6" and "8" over the "4" and "6" on my tach, and shout "Vrooom vrooom!", and capture some of that NA experience. (I've driven a NA Boxster, albeit an old one, and I marveled at how smooth it was at 6 grand - and how necessary it was to keep it there. It was engaging. And a pain in the ***.)

But when I'm in town, or in cruise on the highway, I appreciate the option to drop it down to 3 grand, where it is also responsive, and pretty quiet, by my standards. I do not enjoy driving my car in Drive, either in Normal or Sport mode (it's okay in Sport+, but I still paddle shift), in town, back roads, or highway. But I don't have to, so I don't.
I think the biggest misconception in this is that NA requires high rpms to get the thing to move. It's inaccurate to think that. I view the torque input as just a way for the turbo-biased to give themselves the upper hand. I realize I'm different than most here perhaps. I've always liked something you had to wring out versus something any lazy toad could make move quick. I spent my senior year in college rebuilding my 1976 Yamaha RD-400C and terrorized all those roads you mentioned as I'm from NC and went to school at ASU, which was in the 80s. Two-stroke RD-400s are very light and very quick, and love to turn. I have also owned both sides of this Boxster/Cayman equation, and I'll most strongly advocate for not the quickest as I prefer 2 things. First, high level of engagement, and that doesn't always mean 6sp, and second, I like things to work in harmony. My conclusion is the 718 is less harmonious than most of the NA Boxsters/Caymans I've owned, and I've owned some of the best examples to date. Above all, these things should make you smile. My smile factor for what I've owned is as follows: 2012 Cayman R w/PCCB (6mt)>2016 Boxster Spyder (6mt)>2008 RS60 Spyder (6mt)>2011 Boxster Spyder (PDK)>718 Cayman GTS (PDK)>981 Cayman S (PDK). My 981 Boxster Spyder was the prettiest to look at and the 3.8 is a beast, but the gearing is wrong and it takes away from the overall enjoyment. The Boxster RS60 Spyder was the first Boxster over 300 hp, and has the best sound I've heard in the platform (all have PSE). The upper rpm howl is intoxicating and it's very quick. Brakes could be a little stronger. Steering feel on all the 987s kill all those that followed. So to that end, I'll give that the 982 is preferable over the 981 (less the Spyder and GT4), but I prefer the special 987s over the 982 and 981 for all that makes a Porsche a great car and joy to drive.
Old 02-01-2019, 02:20 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by chriswd62
They make the Cup 2 in a 245/35r20 front and 295/30r20 rear, which fit on the factory 718 GTS 20" wheels no problem (preferably on the Carrera Sport wheel option which are 20x8.5 and 20x10.5). If you want to run aftermarket, many people run 19x9 and 19x10.5 or 11, with 265 front and 305 rear. That is more than enough tire for these cars.
It's always been my preference to have the correct dimension tire for the wheel/platform for which it's mounted. I don't want to mess with rubbing, or inaccurate speedometers, and bigger is not always better. I don't know why Michelin has opted to not make a correct fitment Cup 2 for the 981 GTS/Spyder and 982 GTS? I also prefer N rated tires. So where your solution may work for some, not for me unfortunately. When I wear out the PZeros on my 991.2 Targa 4S, it will get Cup 2s. Grip is good!

Last edited by MidEngineRules; 02-01-2019 at 04:17 PM.
Old 02-01-2019, 05:33 PM
Gamecock718
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I realize I'm different than most here perhaps.
Well, at least we agree on something.

Really, I'm standing by my stance of "different strokes for different folks." I like my car. You like yours. We're all happy.

PS - if you still live in NC, holler if you'd ever like to go for a festive drive on some of those beautiful western NC mountain roads. I'll take it easy on you and stay out of the boost as much as possible.
Old 02-02-2019, 03:02 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,203 Likes on 640 Posts

Originally Posted by Gamecock718
Well, you know what they say... opinions are like anuses: everyone has one. You may think that yours doesn't stink, and I might think that it does. Either way, we're all just blowing hot air about some serious First World problems, am I right?
Opinions matter based on experience and education. In my profession, lots of people come to me who think they have a clue about my business, but don't have my years of experience and education and they are wrong 99% of the time. Cars are similar.

I've been to multiple racing schools, tracked cars for over a decade including the "Ring" and regularly swap cars with my track friends both on and off the track. In addition to what's in my sig, I have weeks of experience in 911 Turbos, 997 RS, 991 RS, 991 turbo and non turbo carreras, 718s, 458, 488s, 675LT, 570, turbo and non turbo M3s/M4s, GTRs, C7s, mercedes GT-R, R8s, etc...

You have all of 15 posts, and I expect your 718 is the best car you've ever had. You don't know anything about anything, which is why you think your 718 doesn't have lag. So don't disparage me just because I actually know what I'm talking about, while you don't have a clue due to your lack of automotive experience and driving skill.
Old 02-02-2019, 06:37 AM
Gamecock718
Advanced

Originally Posted by Drifting
You have all of 15 posts, and I expect your 718 is the best car you've ever had. You don't know anything about anything, which is why you think your 718 doesn't have lag. So don't disparage me just because I actually know what I'm talking about, while you don't have a clue due to your lack of automotive experience and driving skill.
Do you feel better now?

​​​​​
Old 02-02-2019, 08:52 AM
Chester7
Racer

Received 165 Likes on 102 Posts

To assume someone you don't know doesn't know anything about anything is on its face absurd.
Old 02-02-2019, 10:05 AM
chriswd62
Rennlist Member

Well, you know what they say... opinions are like anuses: everyone has one. You may think that yours doesn't stink, and I might think that it does. Either way, we're all just blowing hot air about some serious First World problems, am I right?
Opinions matter based on experience and education. In my profession, lots of people come to me who think they have a clue about my business, but don't have my years of experience and education and they are wrong 99% of the time. Cars are similar.

I've been to multiple racing schools, tracked cars for over a decade including the "Ring" and regularly swap cars with my track friends both on and off the track. In addition to what's in my sig, I have weeks of experience in 911 Turbos, 997 RS, 991 RS, 991 turbo and non turbo carreras, 718s, 458, 488s, 675LT, 570, turbo and non turbo M3s/M4s, GTRs, C7s, mercedes GT-R, R8s, etc...

Wow. That is one arrogant post. You just made a ton of assumptions about someone you don't even know. I could go over my resume of car experience too, which includes years of wheel to wheel racing, but I would never make assumptions that anyone on here lacks automotive experience and driving skill based on how many posts they have on a message board. Gamecock718 stated that they have years of experience competing at a high level in national-level autocross, so there goes your assumption on lack of automotive experience and driving skill.

I agree that any turbo motor will have lag and the 718 isn't as good as the 991.2 turbo motors, but compared to other turbo options on the market (especially those with turbo 4 cylinders), Porsche has done an excellent job to minimize the lag. For example, when in Sport Chrono, the turbo stays in boost off throttle, so when you're not waiting for the turbo to spool when on and off the throttle. I've owed and autocrossed the 981 and the 718, and can tell you first hand the 718 is hands down a faster and better car in almost every measure.

Last edited by chriswd62; 02-02-2019 at 10:51 AM.
Old 02-02-2019, 11:05 AM
Peter80
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

If you've never had a Porsche, go with the 718. I had a 987 base followed by a 981 base then on to a new 718 S. The 718 is better on the track or driving like crazy, is slightly better looking and has a much better PCM. However, once you've been used to the 6-cylinder na engine, the new turbo 4 in normal driving sounds like an old VW beetle (bug) or even a diesel. IMHO. And it vibrates a lot or mine did. I did test drive first and was impressed but only with ownership did I develop an annoyance of the engine drone and missing the old engine's soulful whine when accelerating hard. I traded up to a year older 911 because of this but if I had my time again, I would have sought out the lowest mileage latest registered 981 S or GTS on the market instead of the 718 S and saved the second trade, which lost me a bunch of money.. But there do seem to be very polarised opinions on the 981 v 718 with many 718 owners being thrilled to bits, even those who came from a 981. Don't be swayed by the fuel economy improvements though, which are nonsense in real world driving.
Old 02-02-2019, 11:14 AM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

PS - if you still live in NC, holler if you'd ever like to go for a festive drive on some of those beautiful western NC mountain roads. I'll take it easy on you and stay out of the boost as much as possible.
Well all 3 cars in my garage these days are boosted (Targa 4S, Boxster GTS, and Focus RS) so I have no NA car to bring. I traded my 2008 RS60 Spyder at the Morganton Porsche dealer for a super low mile 2011 Boxster Spyder back in 2015, sight unseen. It's possible the RS60 is still running around there somewhere. It had near new Bridgestone RE-11s mounted, which would have been so much fun around there. BTW, HWY 181 was my favorite road, going uphill. Those roads are great, but Germany has the best B-roads I've ever driven.
Old 02-02-2019, 11:34 AM
chriswd62
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Peter80
If you've never had a Porsche, go with the 718. I had a 987 base followed by a 981 base then on to a new 718 S. The 718 is better on the track or driving like crazy, is slightly better looking and has a much better PCM. However, once you've been used to the 6-cylinder na engine, the new turbo 4 in normal driving sounds like an old VW beetle (bug) or even a diesel. IMHO. And it vibrates a lot or mine did. I did test drive first and was impressed but only with ownership did I develop an annoyance of the engine drone and missing the old engine's soulful whine when accelerating hard. I traded up to a year older 911 because of this but if I had my time again, I would have sought out the lowest mileage latest registered 981 S or GTS on the market instead of the 718 S and saved the second trade, which lost me a bunch of money.. But there do seem to be very polarised opinions on the 981 v 718 with many 718 owners being thrilled to bits, even those who came from a 981. Don't be swayed by the fuel economy improvements though, which are nonsense in real world driving.
That's a great way to put it. I came from a base 981 to a base 718, and now a 718 GTS. As almost every reviewer everywhere has stated, the sound is not as good as the previous flat 6. The guys at MotorTrend should get an Oscar for most dramatic response to the 718's sound (see Ignitiion and Head 2 Head videos). While I don't love the sound, it really doesn't bother me either. For me, the pros far outweigh the cons. I would seriously consider the 718 GT4 Touring (assuming it actually happens), but it better be 4.0 ltr and have better gearing, because the 718 GTS is a really well rounded car.
Old 02-02-2019, 12:17 PM
Peter80
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by chriswd62
That's a great way to put it. I came from a base 981 to a base 718, and now a 718 GTS. As almost every reviewer everywhere has stated, the sound is not as good as the previous flat 6. The guys at MotorTrend should get an Oscar for most dramatic response to the 718's sound (see Ignitiion and Head 2 Head videos). While I don't love the sound, it really doesn't bother me either. For me, the pros far outweigh the cons. I would seriously consider the 718 GT4 Touring (assuming it actually happens), but it better be 4.0 ltr and have better gearing, because the 718 GTS is a really well rounded car.
Yep, wouldn't argue. Suspect sound may be less of an issue with the Cayman. I also got roof vibration rattles with my 718S Boxster. That single turbo is very big in the S. But may of course be just my car was a bad build. Difficult to explain this sound debate. It's actually more than just an aural preference like different genres of music. Some say that the sound is not important to them but I think it does affect the driving experience and feel too, not just the ear pleasure.
My 991.2 911S is a 3.0 turbo 6 (twin small turbos) and the 3.8 na 991.1 boys moan about that. I actually prefer it being a bit quieter, not so 'inyourface listen to me' and I love the little turbo whistle and whoosh that makes it sound like an aeroplane taking off. But back to the 718, I think it actually can sound better than the 981 at idle, even when revving, but not when driving/accelerating, for example off a motorway slip road or out of a corner full on to give you that rush.
The GT4 (and Spyder) I understand will definitely revert to na 6's. I'd swap to one in a flash if only it wasn't so stripped down and lightened for the track. A GT4 or Spyder Luxe would be nice. The 911, icon that it is, is a lovely car but it is nowadays just a little too GT rather than sports car.
Old 02-02-2019, 05:28 PM
leaf345
Racer

Received 183 Likes on 82 Posts

Just drive both. If you don't need the slight extra speed and updated PCM of the 718, get the 981. It's arguably a better car for a cheaper price.

Only reason I'd personally pay the premium to get a 718 is if I would want the "new car experience".
Old 02-02-2019, 05:45 PM
Gamecock718
Advanced

Do you feel better now?

Quick Reply: 718 vs 981 Boxster, which one?