Sponsored by:

718 vs 981 Boxster, which one?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2019, 08:20 PM
SleekGecko
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by leaf345
Just drive both. If you don't need the slight extra speed and updated PCM of the 718, get the 981. It's arguably a better car for a cheaper price.

Only reason I'd personally pay the premium to get a 718 is if I would want the "new car experience".
I dunno as here in Canada at least it seems like a second hand 981 is on par cost wise as a second hand 718... mileage equivalent etc.... strange...
Old 02-03-2019, 05:40 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
You have all of 15 posts, and I expect your 718 is the best car you've ever had. You don't know anything about anything, which is why you think your 718 doesn't have lag. So don't disparage me just because I actually know what I'm talking about, while you don't have a clue due to your lack of automotive experience and driving skill.
Posts don't matter much, but what you've owned/driven matters a lot. And where you've been experienced too.

This isn't aimed at anyone, but I'd say there's room for enlightenment when you quibble over small fractions of a second acceleration times, or spec sheet comparisons. Chasing the most power is a never ending saga. The more power you have doesn't make you a better driver, just a more lazy one in most cases. I thought I was a great driver and motorcyclist until I arrived in Germany in 2004. I was unafraid to go fast, but 5 years later with massive experience well into triple digit speeds, I know I learned quite a bit of what sets apart Porsches from many other makes. High speed is what thrilled me. These days no matter what I'm driving I typically go about the same rate. I'm not out racing anyone, nor myself. If I want to feel some Gs these days, I'd rather hit a kart track.
Old 02-03-2019, 07:24 PM
Gamecock718
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by MidEngineRules
If I want to feel some Gs these days, I'd rather hit a kart track.
I go kart almost weekly at a local indoor kart track. I also have a few podium finishes in 12 and 14 hour endurance races at GoPro Motorplex in Mooresville, NC. But, I only have 17? posts here, so I don't know anything about anything.
Old 02-04-2019, 08:07 AM
1Carnut
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 48 Posts

I went shopping for a 718 gearshift coupe (base model) on Saturday to use as a track car. It will be Porsche number 43 (I own 3 others now including a 718S Cayman PDK my girlfriend drives). I am not exactly young anymore but back in my youth I was a good enough driver to be approached about going pro. These days my hearing is gone (4 years on stage with the dead), my eyes are gone, and arthritis was also taken its toll. I have owned a lot of cars (about 470 I can remember) and have about a dozen now. and I have said this on other forums as well, what you think of a car will depend upon what your ownership experience is, and your style of driving. When I drove the 718 base I did notice the lag, you need to keep the revs up to lessen it (that can sometimes be hard when driving on the road less of a problem on a track), but overall I thought is was a better car (at least for my needs), than the last generation. I care little about warranty (I even take apart my Ferrari's and Lamborghinis, built the first RWD Gallardo in 04), or what the car with be worth to anyone else. All I care about is what the car is worth to me today, so I will make changes to the car to fit my needs for it. It is difficult to experience what a car is like or which is better by asking others. My experience is probably very different than most of yours, and my purpose (every car I own must have a purpose) for wanting a 718 is probably different as well.
Old 02-04-2019, 08:47 AM
Peter80
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts

Rock star garage indeed. A lot of us had to wait until being old and knackered before getting just one babe magnet. Could do with a younger girlfriend too but not happened for some reason!

Quick Reply: 718 vs 981 Boxster, which one?