Sponsored by:

718 vs 981 Boxster, which one?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 10:52 AM
Gilbert Han
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 718 vs 981 Boxster, which one?

I know there have been many discussion which one is better, and answer always have been 'up to you'.
As a potential owner of one of these car, I would like to ask you guys personal opinion.

As I see the market, 718 Boxster cost approximately $14,000 more.
With that into consideration, which one would you go for? Both are used one

For example, same speced car with same mileage, you can buy 981 for $35,000 and 718 for $50,000
Look forward to hear from you guys.

I am personally look for S model with PDK. This will be my weekend car. (I don't necessarily need a car in my daily life)

Last edited by Gilbert Han; 01-15-2019 at 11:46 AM.
Old 01-15-2019, 01:02 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,542 Likes on 1,006 Posts

It’s ‘up to you’

Seriously, if you don’t have a strong opinion as to which is better for you then either
- go on test drives until you do have a strong opinion, or
- buy the cheaper 981 and bank the difference to put toward your next Porsche.
Old 01-15-2019, 01:23 PM
SharkB8
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Go with the one with either CPO or the most warranty left, then drive the tires off of it!

I've had both. While the format of the cars is roughly the same, the 718 is more capable out of the box...at the limits. I've tracked both. Not sure that matters in everyday street applications unless you're canyon carving and have access to some great uncrowded roads (fortunately, I do).

718 for me (and I voted with my wallet).

Good luck!
Old 01-15-2019, 04:04 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Seriously, just drive them both. You'll know in 10 minutes which one you prefer. Buy that one.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:43 PM
donR
Pro

Received 199 Likes on 118 Posts

Hard decision. I would drive the 981 S and if you are happy with that and can get a warranty buy that one. No need to look further.

Don't drive the 718 S otherwise you will probably want that and need to spend the extra $$$s.
Old 01-15-2019, 10:29 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,140 Likes on 981 Posts

I own a 2014 981 BS (original owner) and I have put on 43k miles. I love it. I was a 718 hater when it first came out because of the switch to turbos and 4 cylinders.

Then I drove one on the track and was very impressed with it. I'd get the 718. It's better than a 981 in every way except for the sound.....but the sound isn't bad. Just not as good as a 981.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:50 PM
Curt Wohlgemuth
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Remember, it's not just about sound -- it's also about whether you like low-end torque, or like revving high in the RPM range. So yes, you should drive both.

(That said, I've always been a "need to get the RPM high" driver, yet I bought a 718 CS, and love it to death. So it really is up to you!
Old 01-15-2019, 11:53 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,542 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter
It's better than a 981 in every way except for the sound.....but the sound isn't bad. Just not as good as a 981.
Is the exhaust note of a Ferrari v12 better than an NA flat 6? Or is a 32v V8 better than a straight 6?

For me, in today's world, where most car's engines, when driven at more than 2/10ths (or even at idle) sound like a metal box of rocks that is about to explode or like nothing at all, a 'good' exhaust note is one that tells me the engine is 'happy' about being used rather than a sound that makes me think of tortured hamsters set on fire while exercising on their wheel.

The 718's exhaust note may be better or worse than a Porsche NA flat-6 but it does sound happy to be doing its job at any load and rpm.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:50 AM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by Curt Wohlgemuth
Remember, it's not just about sound -- it's also about whether you like low-end torque, or like revving high in the RPM range. So yes, you should drive both.
Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner.

I have one NA (manual 981 Boxster GTS) and one turbo (PDK 991.2 911 Carrera). I bought one of each specifically because I wanted to experience both types long term.

What I've learned is that for weekend canyon carving I prefer a naturally-aspirated car. To me nothing compares to the wail of that flat-six and riding the phenomenal wave of torque and HP all the way to 7,600RPM. It's a glorious, glorious experience. The NA engine sounds phenomenal in any gear at any RPM range.

The turbo engine is stupid fast and amazing. Put the hammer down and it is an absolute wall of torque and speed. But... for me that isn't as enjoyable when canyon carving. I like riding the wave of torque rather than the flat wall of torque. The wave feels more engaging. The joyous noise of that wave is a huge factor too. One of the things I don't like about the turbo engine(s) is they don't sound great at steady high RPM. I want to shift to a higher gear to get the RPM down for a less intrusive noise. Granted, a higher gear isn't as big a deal because there is so much torque available, but when driving for fun I want to have it spun up and singing.

So for me when it comes to canyon carving I pick my cars in this order:

981 Boxster GTS
2001 Miata
2017 911 Carrera

All that being said, I respect the heck out of the 718. We did a private track day a few months back and my buddy and I were in the same run group. He in a 718 Cayman S and me in my 981 Boxster GTS. Granted he had a PDK and is a better driver, but how he walked away from me coming out of corners, particularly on inclines, was a sight to behold. It was effortless.

The bottom line is there is no wrong answer here. Both are phenomenal cars. The 718 is objectively the better car.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:54 AM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gilbert Han
I am personally look for S model with PDK. This will be my weekend car. (I don't necessarily need a car in my daily life)
For a weekend car I implore you to consider a manual versus the PDK. I have one of each, and for pure canyon carving enjoyment you can't beat a manual.
Old 01-16-2019, 09:52 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Received 255 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by CaymanSinAR
For a weekend car I implore you to consider a manual versus the PDK. I have one of each, and for pure canyon carving enjoyment you can't beat a manual.
The only thing you can do with a manual that can't be done with PDK is blow up the motor. lol
Old 01-16-2019, 10:29 PM
Yc911Kid
Three Wheelin'

Received 769 Likes on 402 Posts

Power is the most obvious improvement on paper, but after a quick first drive my biggest impression is from the suspension(mine is a gts with sport pasm): when driving at relatively high speed on twisty roads with less than ideal pavement, it soaks up all the bumps so well effortlessly, made the ride quality much much more enjoyable, combined with the improved torq&steering feel it brings the driving pleasure to a whole new level that I've never experienced. And yes the sound isn't as good as the NA6 but that's something I can live with.

Originally I bought the car because of the deal I got, now I'm much more in love with it.
Old 01-17-2019, 01:37 AM
JKinOB
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You asked for personal opinion.

As the saying goes, like certain body parts, everybody has one. Here's mine (disclaimer - I own a 718 Cayman).

Porsche, arguably the best performance car manufacturer on the planet, decided a turbo 4 was better than a naturally aspirated 6. And it's faster than the 981.

Max torque is almost immediately available, which helps make it faster than the 981.

Turbo lag is almost nonexistent (especially if you get the sport chrono). And it's faster than the 981.

The biggest complaint seems to be the exhaust note. (Coming from an M4 whose exhaust note has been described as "rocks in a disposer," it sounds really good to me.) And it's faster than the 981.

if you're driving it right, the only people who will notice or care about the exhaust note will be behind you.

Oh, did I mention that it's faster than a 981?

To me, the choice is easy...

Cheers!

John
The following users liked this post:
beetleman (04-29-2023)
Old 01-17-2019, 09:57 AM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MidEngineRules
The only thing you can do with a manual that can't be done with PDK is blow up the motor. lol
That's like saying the only thing you can do having sex with a partner that can't be done with masturbation is catch an STD.
Old 01-17-2019, 10:09 AM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JKinOB
(Coming from an M4 whose exhaust note has been described as "rocks in a disposer," it sounds really good to me.)
I rented an M4 convertible through Turo for a week a few years ago so my wife and I could drive up the California coastline. Was a big BMW guy at the time. Planned to get an M4 and thought this would be a great way to seal the deal. I'm glad I did because we *hated* that car! It definitely sounded like it was gargling rocks. It's been improved since then though. The M2 Competition sounds much better. Almost bought one in November but got a 911 instead.

Quick Reply: 718 vs 981 Boxster, which one?