Sponsored by:

718 vs 981 Boxster, which one?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2019, 11:31 AM
Gamecock718
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by duegatti
People are talking about the 718's like they red line at 4500 rpm's and don't have transmissions. If you want to drive them at 6 grand - like everybody seems to drive their NA six's to create this "sound" - you're perfectly free to do so.
No doubt. I've popped mine off of the rev limiter, just to see what it feels like. She's definitely had plenty of 7K+ shifts, just because it's fun! Of course, you can hit 100MPH reeeaal fast playing around like that. I can't wait to get it on the track!
Old 01-31-2019, 11:44 AM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 636 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by DriveInHouston
From your comments, it sounds like YOU never drove a 718 turbo with PDK. In the sport mode is quite a different car than all the NA versions. Especially in the non-manual mode...
I rented a PDK 718 S for three days through Turo. Not my cup of tea for canyon carving. BUT... For daily driving in the city and weekend fun? Oh yeah. Turbo PDK makes a lot of sense. I appreciate my PDK 991.2 more and more every Monday through Friday. For weekend fun though? A naturally-aspirated manual wins hands-down *for me*. On the weekend I'm taking out my 981 Boxster GTS or Miata before the PDK turbo 911.

If Mazda ever puts their cooled seats in the Miata it's game over for me. Won't be a better weekend car on the road from my perspective.

Old 01-31-2019, 01:20 PM
Yellow Submarine
Racer

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by DriveInHouston
From your comments, it sounds like YOU never drove a 718 turbo with PDK. In the sport mode is quite a different car than all the NA versions. Especially in the non-manual mode...
I drive my 981 2,7 every day. I had a go in a 718 GTS so... With PDK, all it takes is to floor the throttle to make the thing go like stink. The 718 GTS obviously more, but the 2,7 is plenty fast

Compared to mine, that GTS
+rides nice and a bit sharper (it had sport PASM, mine regular PASM) which is a plus
-sounds not so good which is a minus
+/-is much faster, which I don't really need.
Conclusion: it was not worth trading mine in for it.

Last edited by Yellow Submarine; 01-31-2019 at 01:36 PM.
Old 01-31-2019, 04:35 PM
duegatti
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I guess if I had a manual transmission, I'd want a slower car too.
Old 01-31-2019, 09:07 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Gamecock718
We all like different things. That doesn't make you wrong and me right, or vice-versa.

I come from 15+ years of driving a Honda S2000, many of those years competing at a high level in National-level autocrosses. When I was finally ready to try something new, I knew the Cayman was the car for me, as it is also an incredible driver's car. I drove the 981 S and the 718 S, and to me, there was no question which car was better. Being a competitive, driving enthusiast, the 718 is definitely faster, and more engaging. And that's coming from someone who has defended the joy of revving to 9,000 RPM's for over a decade and a half. So to answer "who needs more?" I do. I'm not particular with what it sounds like. I'm particular about what it goes like. That's not to take away from the 981 or previous generations. They're all brilliant cars. But at the end of the day, I'll give up a little bit of sweet engine noise to go faster.

Guess what though, just as much as I want to go faster, I also want the pure joy of rowing gears the old fashioned way. If you haven't mastered heel-toe downshifting, you're missing out on a pretty magical experience. Because of that, I made the compromise of a little bit of speed for a manual transmission. Isn't it grand that we have such great choices in life!?
I guess you wanted new, but a 981 GT4 is still the fastest Cayman available to date, and can be had for 718S money. Possesses much more lateral grip as well, stops shorter, and no compromise with your gearbox choice as its 6mt or nothing. No Apple CarPlay though if that mattered. I had issues with the 981 Cayman S too, which I blame Porsche for as they obviously muted performance to not interfere with the 911. The 981 Cayman S wasn’t allowed to be what it could have. With the 718, I don’t think Porsche felt compelled to limit it, as the motor formula took care of that on its own. I had a 2014 Cayman S (PDK) for about 6 months. I missed the 987 so much I started looking for a Cayman R. Found one 2 years old with under 1,200 miles, 6mt, PCCB, factory short shifter, PCM with Nav, Bose, LWBs, LSD, etc. and jumped on it. It would murder my 981 Cayman S, but eventually I traded my Cayman R and 2011 Boxster Spyder for a 2016 Boxster Spyder. The NA 3.8 makes the biggest difference in the platform.

Old 01-31-2019, 09:19 PM
Gamecock718
Advanced

Originally Posted by MidEngineRules
I guess you wanted new, but a 981 GT4 is still the fastest Cayman available to date, and can be had for 718S money.
No, I bought a Certified Pre Owned 718 CS. Nowhere near 981 GT4 money.
Old 01-31-2019, 09:44 PM
John Ferguson
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by JKinOB
Turbo lag is almost nonexistent (especially if you get the sport chrono). And it's faster than the 981.
There's the rub … almost. Turbos lag, even Porsches, I own one of those too. With headers and a protune, my 981 GTS / PDK is as fast as a 982, yet retains the beautiful mechanical flat six song Porsches are famous for. BTW, how long does sport response last? Don't you hate it when it stops?
Old 01-31-2019, 10:34 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

The 718 is a world class sports car. I get the sound thing it's important too, 718 sounds good to me and recently drove 23,000 miles in a 500hp Flat Plane Crank V8 with an 8,250RPM redline. Love the N/A Flat Six sound also (as long as it's not a weak Cayman or Boxster) and love the turbos from Porsche. No reason to try to convince people here who own multiple examples of each car to stop liking one of the cars they added to the stable..how silly.
Old 01-31-2019, 11:15 PM
donR
Pro

Received 202 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by MidEngineRules
I guess you wanted new, but a 981 GT4 is still the fastest Cayman available to date, and can be had for 718S money. Possesses much more lateral grip as well, stops shorter, and no compromise with your gearbox choice as its 6mt or nothing.
IMO GT4s are great buying at the moment and arguably more engaging but are more track oriented for those in the need. In our area a low miles 2016 GT4 is about the same price as a new base 718 GTS, an S is a little cheaper.

981 Ss are even better buying and if you get in and like the drive then you should look no further otherwise you will just end up spending more money.

However, I wouldn't say GT4s are fastest and put GT4 Cup 2 tires on a 718 S or GTS and it will romp all over the GT4, let alone putting on GT4 wheels as well and the added aero and PDK. Add a stage 2 tune aswell and with 450 hp/398ft/lb torque you will be messing with a lot of 991 GT3 drivers.

Check out Matt Farah's video comparing tuned GT4 with stock 718 GTS (S is not much different):

But seriously I have heard that maybe the PDK is a little smoother on the 718 than the 981 with some revisions but I didn't notice any issues on the 981 personally.
Old 02-01-2019, 03:16 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,341 Likes on 706 Posts

Originally Posted by JKinOB
Porsche, arguably the best performance car manufacturer on the planet, decided a turbo 4 was better than a naturally aspirated 6. And it's faster than the 981.

Max torque is almost immediately available, which helps make it faster than the 981.

Turbo lag is almost nonexistent (especially if you get the sport chrono). And it's faster than the 981.
Sorry, but your response gave me a chuckle.

Porsche didn't choose to go turbo, but was forced to put turbo engines in 98% of their cars by tree hugger controlled governments, particularly liberal European governments

Turbo lag is extraordinarily obvious in a 718. Annoying so. Amazes me that you don't notice it.
Old 02-01-2019, 08:30 AM
Gamecock718
Advanced

Originally Posted by Drifting
Turbo lag is extraordinarily obvious in a 718. Annoying so. Amazes me that you don't notice it.
Well, you know what they say... opinions are like anuses: everyone has one. You may think that yours doesn't stink, and I might think that it does. Either way, we're all just blowing hot air about some serious First World problems, am I right?
Old 02-01-2019, 10:28 AM
Chester7
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 102 Posts

I see why they have a 718 only forum. To each his own. But I will say, many Americans have experienced the strong torque of a V8 in Mustangs, Camaros, Corvettes, and even vintage Cadillacs. The feeling of effortlessness is an addiction. If you haven't experienced strong low end torque you really don't know when its missing.
Old 02-01-2019, 10:44 AM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Gamecock718
No, I bought a Certified Pre Owned 718 CS. Nowhere near 981 GT4 money.
My fault. You said you wanted the fastest Cayman, so curious to why you didn't buy the fastest, especially for your application. I'm on my 6th Boxster/Cayman, a 2018 718 Boxster GTS. It's actually my wife's new toy, and truthfully I don't personally find it very exciting. I guess I just prefer a more linear power band. My primary Porsche these days is a 2017 Targa 4S, not for all out performance, but for fun in the sun and the car is a joy to drive and enables more family fun than my 981 Spyder allowed. Of all my Boxsters/Caymans I've owned, I rate my Cayman R as the best driving. Didn't have the raw power of the 981 Spyder, but was the most balanced, best steering, and the motor (330 hp) pulled very hard and never spun up the wheels. It was also the lightest I've owned, about 200 pounds lighter than your 718S. BTW, I lived in Germany from 2004 to 2009, which is one reason don't find low end torque of much interest. Upper end power is what sets these cars apart from other makes. Truth is in the US, we barely use what these cars are capable of.
Old 02-01-2019, 11:01 AM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Drifting
Sorry, but your response gave me a chuckle.

Porsche didn't choose to go turbo, but was forced to put turbo engines in 98% of their cars by tree hugger controlled governments, particularly liberal European governments

Concur
Let's face it, the only reason Porsche went to turbos was so they could keep their incremental power increases without suffering fuel economy. Can't really argue with that. Unfortunately some of the Porsche character long time owners/enthusiasts appreciate was sacrificed. But this argument that the 718 somehow fixed torqueless past Porsches is laughable. When some argue then need a wall of torque yet must have a 6mt for an engaging drive, I wonder if they realize how unengaging a wall of torque is. NA is far more engaging than turbo, and balance is key in this platform. All this banter is making me want to go out and find another 987.
Old 02-01-2019, 11:22 AM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by donR
IMO GT4s are great buying at the moment and arguably more engaging but are more track oriented for those in the need. In our area a low miles 2016 GT4 is about the same price as a new base 718 GTS, an S is a little cheaper.

981 Ss are even better buying and if you get in and like the drive then you should look no further otherwise you will just end up spending more money.

However, I wouldn't say GT4s are fastest and put GT4 Cup 2 tires on a 718 S or GTS and it will romp all over the GT4, let alone putting on GT4 wheels as well and the added aero and PDK. Add a stage 2 tune aswell and with 450 hp/398ft/lb torque you will be messing with a lot of 991 GT3 drivers.
I think people forget or have no idea that Porsche left a lot of power on the table with the 981. 718s aren't the only car that can appreciably upgraded. FVD Bombacher has factory-quality and factory-safe software upgrades which deliver quite big power bumps for NA Porsches. Increasing torque in a 718 makes little sense. It spins up the wheels as is. BTW, Michelin doesn't make a Cup 2 in 20" for the platform, so for the GTS you'd have to solve this another way. Michelin didn't make Cup 2s for my 2016 Spyder either, which was upsetting as had I kept the car, I was going to change from the PZeros and most likely would have had to settle for the Pilot Sport 4S. I have Cup 2s on my Focus RS and love them for daily driving & trash hauling lol.

Quick Reply: 718 vs 981 Boxster, which one?