19 cayman order - assistance appreciated

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2018, 03:58 PM
2porscheman
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 19 cayman order - assistance appreciated

Hello,

appreciate the great info located here. Ordered an ‘19 cayman as my wife’s DD last week. Build is as follows:
1. Carrera white
2. Full navy leather
3. Pdk
4. Premium w 14 way power
5. BOSE
6. Apple car play
7. Smokers pacakage
8. Mesh pocket

we are still chewing on the following and need some help:
1. Light design - thoughts. Worried about how dark it can be in my interior and don’t want her having to hunt around without enough light.
2. Entry and drive - thinking about safety here for my wife in ATL and the fact she can open the hood and the hatch without using a key and never have to dig for it.
If those are meaningful, then it makes sense to go premium plus given the little $ difference. What say you all given your experience?

Lastly, thoughts about switch to A/S tires. Ordering it with base 18”, it will be here in late December/early January and concerned about the freezing rain and light snow that we, from time to time, get. My wife is coming out of a 335d non sport package that we have had since new ‘09. In fact I picked up a base cayenne early this summer after I gave up my x5d and we are squarely now on the Porsche camp.

thanks for your thoughts here.
Old 09-09-2018, 10:23 PM
donR
Pro

Received 200 Likes on 118 Posts

Wow you're wife is a lucky lady! I assume no kids!

If you're wife is like mine who loses her keys in her handbag then entry and drive will be much appreciated. In our F31 3 series I even appreciate not having to get the key out of my pocket! Definitely also handy for opening trunk and frunk.

I always like extra light in the cabin so if it is a small extra cost then definitely go for the light design package although is it much brighter? I have typically retrofitted LEDs myself in replacement of the OEM bulbs which is fine if you are ok with a bit of DIY. Plenty of options around these days and if you choose carefully the retrofit LEDs are often brighter than OEM interior LEDs.

Unless you are really into your sound or want it for re-sale is the Bose really worth it? Is it that much better than standard in what is a somewhat noisy cabin anyway? I thought the standard system was ok but really depends I guess how much you are into your music and I think sometimes the money is better spent elsewhere like your sound system at home .

Mesh pocket is free but are you ever going to put anything there and I'm thinking it could look a bit untidy over time. The foot well is narrow enough.

Smokers options is a great idea even if you don't smoke!

What about lane change and adaptive cruise/brake assist. I wouldn't get these for myself due to the extra cost but they are useful depending on how good a driver your wife is. I assume you have rear camera and park assist.

I have no interest in it due to our lack of rain here but might you need the rear wiper in your area?
Old 09-09-2018, 11:56 PM
Semitone
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

Some thoughts:

You might want to give some serious thought to the the LED headlights..expensive but nice, particularly for a DD

I don't have the light package and don't feel like I am missing anything, of course, YMMV.

For year round, I would certainly go for A/S tires. Summer tires are not made for cooler temps, regardless of snowfall. Probably also less road noise, as a bonus.

The car has a high level of cabin noise so the stereo is hard to appreciate. I have the Bose but it is not a particularly great listening experience. i.e. Even if it is an upgrade from the base system, it still sucks.

Folding mirrors, depending on where you park. I have manual, so I get out and fold by hand when I pull into the garage. A little inconvenient but I liked the looks better.

For a DD LCA might be nice. My car is a track toy/weekender so I skipped.
Old 09-10-2018, 10:11 AM
iliveoncaffiene
Burning Brakes

Received 396 Likes on 234 Posts

Light design in my opinion is a waste of $$ - I don't have it and I'm not really missing anything.
That being said, I do sometimes wish I had the Entry & Drive (keyless). I'm never usually carrying that much stuff (and I've memorized the button order so I can hit the buttons on my key in my pocket ), but it is nice.
Also, since you're in ATL (I used to live in Birmingham, AL) - the seat ventilation is a nice to have feature part of the Premium Pkg. Plus - I'd just go ahead and get it.

Bose is worth it - I just can't deal with crappier sound (even if they both aren't amazing) in a car I drive daily.
Have you sat in a car with the full blue leather? Definitely not my cup of tea - definitely be sure it's what you want.

I don't think they ship the cars with A/S tires. If the dealer will throw them in for free (including install) - go for it. But for me, I would hate to be missing out on the niceties of summer tires during the other 3 seasons and it's not much more expensive to just get a 2nd set of A/S mounted on wheels from tirerack.
Old 09-10-2018, 12:53 PM
sobiloff
Racer

Received 208 Likes on 133 Posts

I think you're going to get as many opinions as there are owners. I've also ordered a 2019 CGTS that'll be a summer and track car. Mine's pretty heavily optioned, so I'm not likely to sway you away from many options. Light design is a classy touch, and it does brighten up the interior at night a little. My pickup has an equivalent of entry and drive; it quickly becomes frustrating to drive a car without it, especially if you share the car with someone else and you're forever adjusting the seats, mirrors, and steering wheel. FWIW, I went with the Premium Plus package.

My car's expected to arrive in January down in the SF Bay area, and I'll need to drive it back to Reno in the dead of winter. Like I said, this will primarily be a summer and track car, so I don't really want to buy winter tires and wheels for it just to get it home. However, if it was going to be a daily driver, I'd definitely invest in a good dedicated set of winter wheels and tires.
Old 09-10-2018, 06:44 PM
2porscheman
AutoX

Appreciate the responses; keep them coming.

Went back to the build sheet and we do have folding mirriors and LCA spec’d. This is her car so she gets to pick the interior color! Dealer indicated getting the wiper would be wasted money since there is no blow back so to speak from water from the highway or standing rain. Anyone have the wiper and can comment directly? Am curious as it was one the original list that I had written up.

feels like we should get entry and drive and if she wants light design then just step up to premium plus vs. premium.

On the A/S tires, what’s the story on size and any rec?

thanks again. Appreciate the help

Old 09-11-2018, 11:40 AM
sobiloff
Racer

Received 208 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by 2porscheman
Tire Rack will point you to the N-spec tires only if you search by vehicle; you'll have to manually search for tires by size to find the non-N spec tires that would work, too. (There's some debate about whether N-spec is really necessary or not, as it seems to be focused on wet weather performance at autobahn speeds and not the speeds we're commonly allowed here in the US.)
Old 09-12-2018, 09:17 AM
iliveoncaffiene
Burning Brakes

Received 396 Likes on 234 Posts

Appreciate the responses; keep them coming.

Went back to the build sheet and we do have folding mirriors and LCA spec’d. This is her car so she gets to pick the interior color! Dealer indicated getting the wiper would be wasted money since there is no blow back so to speak from water from the highway or standing rain. Anyone have the wiper and can comment directly? Am curious as it was one the original list that I had written up.

feels like we should get entry and drive and if she wants light design then just step up to premium plus vs. premium.

thanks again. Appreciate the help

Don't have the rear wiper, and don't really miss it. The aerodynamics are good enough that there's no drag around the rear window that would draw in road grime coming off the back. The dirtiest part on the backend is below the rear spoiler.
Even through winter and salt it didn't get dirty like my previous Golf R did (that got caked in salt and needed regular cleaning).
It's been raining for a good 3-4 days here and I daily drive my car - I'm still not even close to needing to clean my rear windshield (it's also all ceramic coated which helps )

Something you should consider: see the price differences online. It's likely that if you're adding Entry & Drive, then stepping up to the Premium package Plus won't be much of an increase. Also you'll get seat ventilation for living in ATL summers

To echo what someone else said: TireRack. Even if you don't buy from them (they are a great place to buy from), they have all associated tire sizes for OEM fitment on all 3 OEM wheel sizes and are a good place to see what size you'll need (if you don't already have the car) and you can even order premounted+balanced tire/wheel combinations with guaranteed OEM fitment (they take 3D measurements of these vehicles to ensure wheel fitment).
Old 09-14-2018, 02:09 AM
incursion
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 56 Posts

Bose is not worth it to me. I had it on my 981 and don't have it on my 718. However, I'm a pretty hardcore audiophile, so all car audio is terrible by my standards. I'd get Entry and Drive. Again, I didn't have it on my 981 but have it on my 718 and think it's worth it. I'd also get the multifunction steering wheel. I had it on my 981 but forgot to spec it on my 718 and really miss it. Also, you should consider the PDLS lights, not because they swivel, but because they're brighter than the standard lights.
Old 09-14-2018, 05:03 PM
2porscheman
AutoX

Many thanks to all who have offered feedback.

Update: just added the premium plus package which will get us the entry and drive plus the other goodies.

still uncertain about the need to switch over to high performance all season tires but feel like we are going to need the traction and control in temps that will defiantly be below 40.
Old 09-14-2018, 05:56 PM
JKinOB
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Glad to hear she is getting entry and drive. It really is one of those things that once you've had it, you will never want another car without it.

Also, if she is going to be driving in sub-40 degree temps, you'll definitely want to run all-season tires during that time. Cold summer tires are a bad idea.

But rather than run all-seasons, all the time, I recommend getting a set of aftermarket wheels from a good manufacturer that has Porsche fitments, like HRE, and putting all seasons on one set, and the summer tires on another set.

Cheers!

John
Old 11-26-2018, 07:30 PM
2porscheman
AutoX

A quick update. Car is on the ship and we are expecting delivery before Christmas.

Apprwciate all the assistance early on.

Old 11-27-2018, 12:15 AM
AutobahnMac911
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

Congrats, that will make a great Christmas present! I just took delivery of mine a week ago and the P entry is a must have, I love how you can touch the front or rear bumper to open each and the fact that it moves the seat and steering wheel out of the way for you and then readjusts ends up being a lot more meaningful given the car is relatively low and tight for ingress / egress.

Didn’t read whether you ended up getting the light design pkg. It is tough to notice the difference, but the subtle LED’s in the bins are nice as the 718 interior is pretty dark.

Be sure to post photos once she’s in!
Old 11-27-2018, 08:04 PM
2porscheman
AutoX

Will do.

Just received updatw from SA: car left on 11/23 and is headed to Jacksonville via Rhode Island. He thinks it is here before Christmas. We’ll see....as we have one of the kids coming home for 3 weeks and we are going to need 3 cars again.
Old 11-27-2018, 08:10 PM
JKinOB
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Will do.

Just received updatw from SA: car left on 11/23 and is headed to Jacksonville via Rhode Island. He thinks it is here before Christmas. We’ll see....as we have one of the kids coming home for 3 weeks and we are going to need 3 cars again.
Congrats! Mine arrived in San Diego last Wednesday, and sat in port all through the holiday weekend. It was released for transport to the dealership yesterday, but is still there. I live between the port and the dealership, but unfortunately my SA says I can't be the transport company. So I'm stuck waiting for a truck to drive it 25 miles...

Quick Reply: 19 cayman order - assistance appreciated