Sponsored by:

Used 718 S Purchase Question - "Launch Cars"

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2018, 05:09 PM
SINY993er
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Used 718 S Purchase Question - "Launch Cars"

Hello Everyone - just started my search for a 2017 Cayman S. I've seen some nicely spec'd "launch" cars with sub 10K miles that seem to have been sitting on dealer lots for 3-5 months. The cars are mainly CPO'd and Sub-$70K asking, which is about a 20% discount off of MSRP (plus CPO done).

Is there something off with these cars? It could just be normal depreciation curve with the 2019s about to hit dealerships.

Also, any info on what people are paying for 2017 S models? There are a few cars offered at $67-$70K, which seems to be the low end of the Porsche dealership market.

Any insight is appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 07-15-2018, 10:23 PM
Voyager6
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Launch cars are often used at model introduction shows (i.e., launch) and may be short or longer term loaners to the press and often are well-equipped. However,the press may have been 'enthusiastic' with the cars.
Old 07-16-2018, 01:18 AM
wriggly
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Voyager6
Launch cars are often used at model introduction shows (i.e., launch) and may be short or longer term loaners to the press and often are well-equipped. However,the press may have been 'enthusiastic' with the cars.
They don't call them launch cars for nothing now do they?
Old 07-16-2018, 01:28 AM
GregWormald
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Porsche seems happy to CPO their own PEC cars even though most have been thrashed, so Launch vehicles should be OK.
Old 07-16-2018, 01:34 AM
Pruettfan
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't worry too much about launch cars but every used and for that matter new car should be judged independently. If your OCD like me the condition of the paint is really important as is the condition of the rest of the car. I have seen a couple of these cars in ads also and the two I have looked most closely at appear to be in really good condition. To save 20% and have CPO protection on an as new car would be well worth the small risk to me as long as the condition matched my standards.
Old 07-16-2018, 10:51 AM
SINY993er
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the info. There are a few dealers with some nicely optioned CPO'd launch cars at pretty competitive pricing. I wonder if they'll always carry a discount, even when selling in 3-5 years.

Also, any thoughts on the discount dealers get when purchasing these cars from Porsche?
Old 07-16-2018, 01:56 PM
Pruettfan
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think the car being a launch car will be an issue at all in 3-5 years. As long as you maintain it well and have full records as well as keep it in good condition I see no reason why it wouldn't be seen as any other used 718s. It is a CPO car with very low miles so I don't see any real risk in these deals. I think the reason they are priced well is there are a fair amount of new 718s sitting on lots and they are getting launch cars pretty cheap from Porsche NA. I have read of discounts on new between 6 and 12% so these cars are about 20% from MSRP so some of your work is done. I would guess you could get another 2-3% fairly easy. Could be that they will stand firm on their asking price and I think you are well bought at that price so anything additional is a bonus. One tactic I use is letting them arrange financing in exchange for a better price (don't come out and say that), they get incentives from the finance company to do this and it is a profit center so often times they are willing to budge on price when they have access to this profit center . If they arrange financing with great terms no problem if they are not as good as a credit union you just refinance the next week and if your a cash buyer just pay the car off when your first payment is due.
Old 07-16-2018, 09:25 PM
mrrippey
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I purchaeed a launch car, had 125 miles on it. Mostly sat in a showroom for the better part of the year. Got a big discount. The biggest thing is not having ALL of the options you may like but for such a break for me it was a no brainer.
Old 07-17-2018, 05:32 AM
GregWormald
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Pruettfan
<snip>If they arrange financing with great terms no problem if they are not as good as a credit union you just refinance the next week and if your a cash buyer just pay the car off when your first payment is due.
I'm not sure about the legal situation in the US but I've heard that some contracts cannot be paid back early or there are penalties for doing so.

Get them to work out the price with finance and then ask for that price straight up as you've just had a monetary windfall.

Quick Reply: Used 718 S Purchase Question - "Launch Cars"