Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boxster 718 S vs 981 GTS

Old 06-10-2018, 08:27 PM
cfeng
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boxster 718 S vs 981 GTS

Hello all, I am a newbie to this forum and I hope I am not posting my question in the wrong place. If so, please excuse me and I will move it to the proper location.

I am in the market for a CPO Boxster. Currently the options available to me are
1. 2017 fully loaded 718 S in $75,000 ~ 80,000 range, which has PASM, Sport Chrono, PDK, Sport Exhaust, 20 inches Carrera wheel and other cool interior accessories
2. 2017 718 S in the $65,000 ~ 70,000 range, which has PDK, 20 inches Carrera wheel and leather seats, however no PASM, no Sport Chrono, no Sport Exhaust
3. 2016 GTS in the $75,000 ~ 80,000 range, which is also fully loaded because it is a GTS, a lot of things are standard to the trim level.

All three options above have very low mileage, like 4000~5000 on all of them.

718 S is undoubtedly fast and handles very very very well. It is faster than the 981 GTS. I test drove one without PASM and it already put a smile on my face. I cannot imagine how good it will be with the PASM package. I really like the new rear tail design on the 718. The only downside to it is that the sound of the engine did not stand out to me. I wouldn't say it bothered me but it just didn't stand out.

On the other hand, the engine sound from the GTS was very aggresive. Every interior design of the GTS was definitely better than the 718. The only part I don't like about the GTS is the rear tail.

Each has its pros and cons. I am aware of how subjective this question is. I really hope to hear some opinions from Porsche enthusiasts and experienced Porsche buyers. If you were me, how will you pick? Which car will last longer in terms of long-term value and day-to-day driving experience? Thank you.
Old 06-11-2018, 11:02 AM
donR
Pro

Received 199 Likes on 118 Posts

I've also been in the market for a Cayman 981 GTS but also looking at the 718 S, which well optioned is really the same as the 718 GTS.

Nick Murray just did a video on the 718S vs 718 GTS,

I think he said that there is only a $12k US difference so if you are looking at all those options on the 718 S you might as well hold out for the 718 GTS where you are getting those options for less plus the GTS extras. With your budget looks like you are almost there. Unfortuantely here in Australia we are looking at almost $150k US for a 718 GTS.

If you read reviews and looking at performance numbers there is no doubt about it that the 718 S / GTS is a better car but it definitely does not sound as good. Personally, I don't mind the sound and it is really not that bad and plenty of after market exhausts coming online if you want to change the sound. Take an F80 M3 for example, sounds like s**t but goes like hell. Get an Akrapovic and sounds a lot better.

The 718 GTS recently ran a 7'40" nurburgring time which is as fast as the outgoing 981 GT4 which as you probably know is a race/GT3 version of the standard 981.

If you really wanted a GT3/4 or are a car nut who likes to change their exhaust and get the best sounding car in the neighborhood and this is the most important thing to you then the flat six in the 981 is really the only way to go and with some fabspeed headers and a tune you will get a little bit more performance, and for street driving and mountain roads you probably wont notice any difference in handling.

However, if you are coming from a turbo car with an on-off torque curve then the 981 GTS will feel slow in comparison to the 718S / GTS or what you had before so you will just have to put up with the sound but you will have a different sort of smile on your face every time you launch.

And when you get bored with the 718 you can tune it and your 0-62 mph time will drop own to 3.9 sec and then you know you are really moving into 911 territory.

Personally, I think the the 981 GTS exterior looks great but the 718 looks a little better. There are also some nice Techart options which have come out for the 718 which IMO look better than what they had for the 981.

I'm not sure if you want mod cons like rear view camera, lane change assist, adaptive cruise control and comfort access/key less entry but these are things that are more likely to come on the 718. I'm not sure if they were available for the 981.
Old 06-11-2018, 11:31 AM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,133 Likes on 638 Posts

I just went through this last November, but my variables were at different values than yours. There's actual used 718s on the market that bring the price down to equal footing. If you happen to be financing you might also be able to get a lower rate on the 718 than you could on the GTS, which could be a slight incentive.

That said, I ended up getting a 981 BGTS, but that could have easily gone the other direction and I think I would have been just as happy. They truly are ALL great cars. That said, a couple thoughts:

- for me, choosing the 981 came down to an emotional decision, based a lot on getting something very different from the car I was coming from. I had an M4, and really loved that car... but the way it delivered power and its overall driving dynamics were more suited to pure track use, or as a "grand tourer" as opposed to a true sports car. Great car, it just didn't deliver an exhilarating experience on the street at all times. I think the similarities between the power delivery in the M4 and the 718 actually acted against me choosing a 718; kind of in the sense of I wanted the experience of "rather drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow"... but since then I've driven a few more 718s and it's actually not really the case. The 718 is just faster, it's not less fun.
- the sound... I've said this many times on this board, in both the 718 and 981 forums, the sound is not enough of a factor to choose one car over the other. Unquestionably, the sound in the 981 is fantastic... but the 718 has actually grown on me.The 718 has a characteristic growl that I think over time will become more endearing. It's also worth mentioning that I've owned an STI in the past and I really, really enjoyed the sound that car made, and yes the 718 is similar but different enough to be its own thing. I think it's an enjoyable noise that shouldn't be a detriment.... but I can also see how the 981 sounds good enough to push some folks over the edge. Especially in a Boxster, where the top will be down probably the majority of the time you drive it (for me that's how it is, anyway). Which brings me to a final point:
- the values for 981s appear to be going up. Granted, my car has a significant amount of miles on it so I got it for what I consider a solid "deal" (I paid $60k for a fully loaded BGTS with 46k miles), but I can still see the values going upward. Not sure where you're located but $75-80k was the absolute top end when I was looking over 6 months ago; we're talking every-option cars with PCCB and less than 1000 miles. My point is over time, the 981 values truly might get them into that revered "modern classic" category sort of like what's happening with the 997s, and eventually maybe something like the air-cooled cars before them. Again, not necessarily enough data there to justify a decision in a vacuum, but something to consider.
Old 06-11-2018, 07:25 PM
mrrippey
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Buy the newest, most optioned car. If you are tied to the 6cyl sound, get the 981 GTS.
At the end, you cannot gonwrong with ANY choice. When I had the same choice last year, I went with the 718S.

Good luck and happy shopping.

Rippey
Old 06-12-2018, 02:05 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

I always say drive them both then walk around them. The answer should reveal itself to you. No wrong answer, all personal preference. For me, I always know which car I prefer pretty quick. Go with your gut. Which car are you going to be more excited about grabbing the keys?
Old 06-13-2018, 10:29 PM
cfeng
4th Gear

Thank you all for the detailed write up. I appreciate the time you spent on sharing your experience. I am going to test drive the 981 GTS this weekend. Last time I only ignited the engine and heard the sound. I didn't get to take it out on the road.

I have observed something strange. 718 S with 350 HP has a 21/28 MPG (PDK) on Porsche's official website, https://www.porsche.com/usa/models/7...turesandspecs/.
981 GTS with 330 HP has 22/31 MPG (PDK) according to Edmunds. Although 718 S has more horsepower, isn't the whole point of going 4 cylinders saving gas and reducing CO2 emission? Am I reading the numbers wrong on 981 GTS?

manifold danger: May I ask how much slower do you feel in your GTS compared to 718 S? The 0-60 sprint time difference between the two cars isn't that big.
Old 06-14-2018, 11:27 AM
Fred V
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Can we ask, what kind of use will you be doing with the car? I would personally completely rule out the second car - it will not come close to the experience you'll have with the GTS and the loaded S. A few points to consider:

- The 981 GTS will keep better value over time
- Every single person i spoke to who acquired a 718 said they progressively love the sound more and more as they own it

Also remember it's all about emotions. Whatever gives you the most tingles is the one no matter what numbers say!
Old 06-14-2018, 05:25 PM
cfeng
4th Gear

Fred V : This is going to be my weekend car. I live in the Bay Area, California. I will take it to Highway 1, Big Sur / Panoramic Highway / CA-35 etc... However, sometimes I will need to go to LA an I will probably take this car as well. This is also why I am choosing PDK over Manual. I can't deal with the rush hour traffic in a manual car. Why does the GTS keep better value over time? I haven't test driven the GTS just yet. I am looking forward to see if it gives me any *emotion*.
Old 06-15-2018, 12:45 PM
Fred V
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cfeng
Fred V : This is going to be my weekend car. I live in the Bay Area, California. I will take it to Highway 1, Big Sur / Panoramic Highway / CA-35 etc... However, sometimes I will need to go to LA an I will probably take this car as well. This is also why I am choosing PDK over Manual. I can't deal with the rush hour traffic in a manual car. Why does the GTS keep better value over time? I haven't test driven the GTS just yet. I am looking forward to see if it gives me any *emotion*.
All GTS models typically have better resale value, not to mention the 981 is the most powerful NA Cayman that will have been offered by Porsche excluding the GT cars.
Old 06-17-2018, 10:53 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,133 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by cfeng
manifold danger: May I ask how much slower do you feel in your GTS compared to 718 S? The 0-60 sprint time difference between the two cars isn't that big.
Honestly, it doesn't feel "slower' per se.... it's just that you have to "wring it out" a little to get the full benefit of the powerband.

To put it best, the 718's powerband allows you to literally just hit the gas and get instant acceleration. In my GTS, I have to purposefully rev it out... the thing is, I kind of like being "required" to reach a certain point in the powerband. It's kind of endearing, knowing that once I hit ~2900 rpm the car changes character... and then at around 4500 it changes again and REALLY wakes up... but at the same time it was nice to have that instant "pop" on hand when I drove the 718. I wish I could help tell you which one was more fun, but I can't...

I'm still on the fence on which car is "better". They both have their own inherent awesomeness. I really do love both cars. I'd have one of each, money no object... but to be clear, I'm very, very happy with my 981 and wouldn't trade it for the world. I'm fresh off my first autocross with the Chesapeake region PCA, and couldn't be more in love with my car.
Old 06-22-2018, 04:32 AM
cfeng
4th Gear

Thank you all, I have finally pulled my trigger. I ended up going with a Carmine Red 981 GTS!!!

You are right that it doesn't feel slower. It has fantastic throttle response. The engine sound is just amazing. I hear different sound at different rev range. It's a blast to drive it. Without a doubt that 718 S does a quicker 0-60 but from everyday driving I don't feel any difference. 718 S has many new interior features, like better screen, Porsche Connect, a better tail light (imo), and better looking air intake on the side. It's a good car but I was able to get good discount on a CPO 2016 GTS with only 3000 miles on it (I had a 9% discount!!!) Better engine sound + better discount, I couldn't resist.
Old 06-22-2018, 12:15 PM
GregWormald
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Traitor!!!!!!
Now I suppose you'll be migrating over to the 981 Forum.

(Having put just on 15000 Km on my 718 Boxster, the only time I ever use max power or torque is when I'm really playing--and I can't do it for very long--it gets very fast very quickly. I suspect you might miss the much flatter torque curve occasionally but I'll bet it's no biggie. I've been amazed at the minimal gas pedal movement that I use 95% of the time.)

Go! Enjoy
Old 06-22-2018, 05:21 PM
sbel
Intermediate

I did back to back comparison of my 981 GTS (2015!) to 718S (new, at the dealers lot) before I sold my 981.

My 981GTS had PDK, 20mm lower Sport Suspension and PTV
718S had PDK, 20mm lower SPASM, PTV, Race Chrono, base interior though.

If you care for the classic 6cyl Porsche sound then get the 981GTS! But that's the only reason to get it over 718S/GTS! Other than that 718S was sharper in any way (chassis, steering, engine, etc.). I'd personally take optioned 718S or even 718GTS as I don't care for the sound as much as other people .
Not that 718 sounds bad! 981GTS is a great car too. It's just not a match to 718S if performance is #1 thing for you.
Old 06-29-2018, 08:07 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,167 Posts

981 GTS tuned using a cobb and custom tuning. With headers it really wakens up this car bringing the power up above the 718S and has the sound the 718 is missing. No doubt you can tune a 718 as well. Both cars are far too easy to drive fast it really feels like cheating compare to the older cars. If you want fast the 718 if you want engaging the 981 IMO.
Old 06-29-2018, 11:35 PM
OldJedi
Burning Brakes

Received 563 Likes on 283 Posts

Congratulations with your 981 GTS choice. It is a great car. I drove a 981 GTS PDK that I thought for sure that I would love. However in the first mile I knew it was not the car for me. The problem is my wife’s 718 Boxster that we bought last year. After driving it for a year I had gotten used to the low end torque and the flat four sound. We are new to the Porsche world so did not have the prejudice of loving the six cylinder sound for many years. I have been driving Corvettes, Camaros and Chevelles since the sixties. The low end torque from their V-8’s is what I’m used to driving. The one thing that was immediately apparent in the the 981 was the lack of low end grunt. Above four grand it sounds great and pulls strong, not so much in the lower RPM range. Your 981might be one of the last NA six cylinder engines and the GTS some of the most preferred models.

I ultimately waited and purchased a 718 GTS for a multitude of reasons. Although In reality I do not need the 365HP of the GTS it didn’t make sense to put $30,000 worth of options on a base 718 to try to match the options on the GTS. Like others have said there are no wrong choices with Porsche cars. Enjoy your GTS and best of luck with her.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Boxster 718 S vs 981 GTS