Sponsored by:

Airbox Vacuum Line - Need a Trace

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 01:38 AM
911URGE
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Airbox Vacuum Line - Need a Trace

PO installed a K&N cone air filter on the car and Im going back to the OE airbox (lets not get into that debate). I have purchased a replacement OE airbox and there is a small vacuum line that runs to the vacuum canister on the back of the airbox.

The problem is I cant find that vacuum line. Can someone tell me where that vacuum line runs to? Maybe that will help me find it. I have searched RL, PET and the service manual.
Old 10-03-2007, 02:09 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

The line from the vacuum canister runs to a T-connector near the center of the upper intake manifold crossover (green arrow)

There is also a dummy connection on the back of the airbox that you can ignore.

Old 10-03-2007, 11:34 AM
911URGE
Rennlist Member

Thanks Jason that helped 1000%. It was tucked up behind the AFM and zip tied.
Old 10-04-2007, 12:17 PM
Gregg-K
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Here is a related question:

In the image below, there is a hose touched by point of the purple arrow ... it's the hose that comes off a vertical barb on the back of the little solenoid valve. Where does the other end of that hose connect to? Or, is it just a vent tube that hangs down?

Thanks,
... Gregg
Old 10-10-2007, 11:59 PM
sperki11
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gregg,
That line runs to a vacuum unit on the rear of the intake. Follow this link to part # 10. http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...0&Line_Item=10
Old 10-11-2007, 12:07 AM
sperki11
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Photo of Line Routing

Originally Posted by sperki11
Gregg,
That line runs to a vacuum unit on the rear of the intake. Follow this link to part # 10. http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...0&Line_Item=10
Here's a photo from my car (let's see if this works).
Attached Images  
Old 10-11-2007, 12:34 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Question Where does the vacuum canister mount?

Hi guys.. how do you mount that vacuum canister? I just did the same thing (cone filter back to stock air box) and I am not sure where to mount the bullet shaped vacuum reservoir.. does anyone have pix? Also, i am not completely sure I have it in right.. it seems that the air horn is very tight to the intake manifold on the right side... any pix of that area would help me...thx.

BTW, the car is so much better behaved with the stock AFM and air box instead of the Autothority MAF + Chip.. ugh. I have lost that great intake sound.. but the car runs a lot better...
Old 10-11-2007, 02:16 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jason,

Your CF lid seems to have a fair bit of distortion, looks like your air filter may not be sealing well.

Roger
Old 10-11-2007, 03:08 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Gregg K
In the image below, there is a hose touched by point of the purple arrow ... it's the hose that comes off a vertical barb on the back of the little solenoid valve. Where does the other end of that hose connect to?
That is the vacuum line for the resonance flap control valve.

Originally Posted by tbennett017
BTW, the car is so much better behaved with the stock AFM and air box instead of the Autothority MAF + Chip.. ugh. I have lost that great intake sound.. but the car runs a lot better...
That's really a shame that all of the commercial solutions are hacks because it doesn't have to be that way. I'm still waiting to get my hands on the new screenless Bosch MAF (HFM6?) and then I might release an EPROM that just alters the load calculation and doesn't touch the stock ignition timing and fuel scheduling. (I've lost all faith in most of the porsche "tuners")

Originally Posted by prshguy
Your CF lid seems to have a fair bit of distortion, looks like your air filter may not be sealing well.
It is a problem with the design and manufacturer of the Fabspeed air box. I've tried to warn people over the past few years HERE and HERE and HERE
but until a person has dropped their engine and seen for themselves they assume the cover fits properly.
Old 10-11-2007, 04:19 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is a problem with the design and manufacturer of the Fabspeed air box. I've tried to warn people over the past few years HERE and HERE and HERE
but until a person has dropped their engine and seen for themselves they assume the cover fits properly. [/QUOTE]

Good info to know, thanks.
Old 10-11-2007, 08:01 PM
Gregg-K
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Success! Couldn't have done it without the photos above, and especially the shot from sperki11, whose engine has exactly the same hose layout as mine.

Tracking it down was really confusing, because the valve's horizontal hose connection looks just like an electrical connection unless you know exactly what you're looking at.

I wonder how long that hose has been disconnected! Many thanks to sperki11 and Jason for the help !

.. Gregg
Old 10-11-2007, 08:10 PM
911URGE
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tbennett017
Hi guys.. how do you mount that vacuum canister? I just did the same thing (cone filter back to stock air box) and I am not sure where to mount the bullet shaped vacuum reservoir.. does anyone have pix? Also, i am not completely sure I have it in right.. it seems that the air horn is very tight to the intake manifold on the right side... any pix of that area would help me...thx.
No actual picture but a parts diagram. The vacuum cannister attaches on the air box to a "L" looking plastic bracket.
Attached Images  
Old 10-11-2007, 08:53 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks.. so it is in the BACK.. duh.. that explains the wierd molding in the plastic.. I need to pull the whole thing out again tonight so that should be doable. Mine had been mounted out near the A/C bracket...
Old 10-12-2007, 12:09 AM
911URGE
Rennlist Member

DOH - I planned on installing my stock airbox tonight only to discover Im missing both clips on the rear part of the airbox. What was really fun was removing both of the old "Bonded Rubber Buffers" (#3 in the diagram above) since the PO hacksawed them off at the rubber bushing instead of just unscrewing them. Reverting back to the stock airbox is getting to be a pain.

Quick Reply: Airbox Vacuum Line - Need a Trace